1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Webmaster
    Useful x 5

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed it into a search engine and luckily they had their...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. hikiwari

Best pollinator plants for an allotment

Dill is another good one, as is fennel, which really attracts hoverflies.Nasturtium also does a good job and can take some pressure from cabbage whites of your brassica's.
    Dill is another good one, as is fennel, which really attracts hoverflies.Nasturtium also does a good job and can take some pressure from cabbage whites of your brassica's.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Purple Streaks

Chickens and cockerels

Cockerels dont bother me, but when there was a couple on the allotment site nearly everyone was moaning, so I think you need to have no neighbours.
    Cockerels dont bother me, but when there was a couple on the allotment site nearly everyone was moaning, so I think you need to have no neighbours.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. DefNotAPro

Taking half this monstrosity on!

As they say on the BBC: other brands are available.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. cameron gibson

Strawberry plants

Well, that is the perceived wisdom handed down over generations but I think its the growing ground that gets depleted. My view is that if there were to be a virus, it would transfer with the new...
    Well, that is the perceived wisdom handed down over generations but I think its the growing ground that gets depleted. My view is that if there were to be a virus, it would transfer with the new runners. When grown with straw, it was the fashion to burn off the straw, leaves and debris, to...
    Well, that is the perceived wisdom handed down over generations but I think its the growing ground that gets depleted. My view is that if there were to be a virus, it would transfer with the new runners. When grown with straw, it was the fashion...
    Well, that is the perceived wisdom handed down over generations but I think its the growing ground that gets depleted. My view is that if there were to be a virus, it would transfer with the new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Webmaster
    Like x 8

Son now has an allotment

They've got their own space to do what they want.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Drahcir
    Agree x 4

WHAT a sickening waste.

To any close enough, I recommend these folk: www.thegardencidercompany.co.uk " The return in cider is worked out as follows: 100KG's fruit = 50L Cider to share. " Any other similar processors...
    To any close enough, I recommend these folk: www.thegardencidercompany.co.uk " The return in cider is worked out as follows: 100KG's fruit = 50L Cider to share. " Any other similar processors around across the nation?
    To any close enough, I recommend these folk: www.thegardencidercompany.co.uk " The return in cider is worked out as follows: 100KG's fruit = 50L Cider to share. " Any other similar processors around across the nation?
    To any close enough, I recommend these folk: www.thegardencidercompany.co.uk " The return in cider is worked out as follows: 100KG's fruit = 50L Cider to share. " Any other similar processors...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Drahcir

Allotment & "Meals on Wheels".

Our rules are NO selling, May be given away though, The best way was on a table within the allotment, where fellow users could top up what they had not grown, The worst was outside locally for...
    Our rules are NO selling, May be given away though, The best way was on a table within the allotment, where fellow users could top up what they had not grown, The worst was outside locally for any member of the Public, Unfortuanately a few took the Lot
    Our rules are NO selling, May be given away though, The best way was on a table within the allotment, where fellow users could top up what they had not grown, The worst was outside locally for any member of the Public, Unfortuanately a few...
    Our rules are NO selling, May be given away though, The best way was on a table within the allotment, where fellow users could top up what they had not grown, The worst was outside locally for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. MikeAbraham1971

Poison Hemlock in New Allotment

It looks to me like hemlock water dropwort which is indeed poisonous if you eat it but you can pull it up using gloves and compost it. All that family have irritant sap which gives blisters if you...
    It looks to me like hemlock water dropwort which is indeed poisonous if you eat it but you can pull it up using gloves and compost it. All that family have irritant sap which gives blisters if you get it on your skin and the sun shines on it. It tends to like moist spots which indicates the sort...
    It looks to me like hemlock water dropwort which is indeed poisonous if you eat it but you can pull it up using gloves and compost it. All that family have irritant sap which gives blisters if you get it on your skin and the sun shines on it. It...
    It looks to me like hemlock water dropwort which is indeed poisonous if you eat it but you can pull it up using gloves and compost it. All that family have irritant sap which gives blisters if you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Chris20

Gazebo blinds

Sorry, that's me not explaining properly. The company is somewhere in the south of England, and we're outside the area they cover, hence giving me the details of some local dealers.I'm hoping...
    Sorry, that's me not explaining properly. The company is somewhere in the south of England, and we're outside the area they cover, hence giving me the details of some local dealers.I'm hoping that these 'local' dealers may offer other possible options besides those of the company that passed...
    Sorry, that's me not explaining properly. The company is somewhere in the south of England, and we're outside the area they cover, hence giving me the details of some local dealers.I'm hoping that these 'local' dealers may offer other possible...
    Sorry, that's me not explaining properly. The company is somewhere in the south of England, and we're outside the area they cover, hence giving me the details of some local dealers.I'm hoping...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Drahcir
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Drahcir
    Funny x 4

I suppose I had better buy a freezer.

I'll be either using an old chest freezer ("Iceland Kyoto"), which will go in my larger workshop and help keep it warm, or (quite likely) an upright (used) to conserve valuable floor space. The...
    I'll be either using an old chest freezer ("Iceland Kyoto"), which will go in my larger workshop and help keep it warm, or (quite likely) an upright (used) to conserve valuable floor space. The place is fairly well insulated, but cold may be a factor. The chest freezerI'm thinging of has been...
    I'll be either using an old chest freezer ("Iceland Kyoto"), which will go in my larger workshop and help keep it warm, or (quite likely) an upright (used) to conserve valuable floor space. The place is fairly well insulated, but cold may be a...
    I'll be either using an old chest freezer ("Iceland Kyoto"), which will go in my larger workshop and help keep it warm, or (quite likely) an upright (used) to conserve valuable floor space. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Balc

Half an allotment is better than ...

The Mods can now close this thread as there will obviously be no more posts.:sad::cry3:
    The Mods can now close this thread as there will obviously be no more posts.:sad::cry3:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jay9408
    Like x 4

New compost bays

I may have to do the same with the plastic and rig up some guttering to collect the water
    I may have to do the same with the plastic and rig up some guttering to collect the water
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. roders
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jay9408

Looking for ideas

I think im going to go for a mix of pyracantha and hawthorn as both look good and are cheap haha the pyracantha being good for birds in winter is also a plus! Maybe ill add a few others in there...
    I think im going to go for a mix of pyracantha and hawthorn as both look good and are cheap haha the pyracantha being good for birds in winter is also a plus! Maybe ill add a few others in there for diversity
    I think im going to go for a mix of pyracantha and hawthorn as both look good and are cheap haha the pyracantha being good for birds in winter is also a plus! Maybe ill add a few others in there for diversity
    I think im going to go for a mix of pyracantha and hawthorn as both look good and are cheap haha the pyracantha being good for birds in winter is also a plus! Maybe ill add a few others in there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Mike Lowndes

Silt from a canal drain - any use?

Thanks all. I may well get it tested but otherwise will use it sparingly with sand and compost.
    Thanks all. I may well get it tested but otherwise will use it sparingly with sand and compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Barders

Buying seeds online?

Thank you @Balc, that's good to know :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Paul Beard

Garlic

It's odd but they're not *that* special, yet they are at the same time! Risotto also a good one
    It's odd but they're not *that* special, yet they are at the same time! Risotto also a good one
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Cannyfullpots

Best fertilizer?

My go-to fertilizer would be a mixture of: - Cattle manure - they sell it as dried pellets for like 5€ per 25kg bag - (volcanic) rock flour/dust - again, dirt cheap and easy to get - Horn shavings...
    My go-to fertilizer would be a mixture of: - Cattle manure - they sell it as dried pellets for like 5€ per 25kg bag - (volcanic) rock flour/dust - again, dirt cheap and easy to get - Horn shavings (from cattle horns and hooves) - as a long-term nitrogen supplementWith a mixture of those three,...
    My go-to fertilizer would be a mixture of: - Cattle manure - they sell it as dried pellets for like 5€ per 25kg bag - (volcanic) rock flour/dust - again, dirt cheap and easy to get - Horn shavings (from cattle horns and hooves) - as a long-term...
    My go-to fertilizer would be a mixture of: - Cattle manure - they sell it as dried pellets for like 5€ per 25kg bag - (volcanic) rock flour/dust - again, dirt cheap and easy to get - Horn shavings...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Darren2993

Protection : Cages

I use debris netting from mudfords to keep the pigeons and butterflies off, it is a lot cheaper than stuff sold as butterfly netting. It is strong and uv treated too, you do need to buy by the 50m...
    I use debris netting from mudfords to keep the pigeons and butterflies off, it is a lot cheaper than stuff sold as butterfly netting. It is strong and uv treated too, you do need to buy by the 50m roll though and it is only two widths, 2m or 3m. It keeps deer and rabbits uninterested too. ...
    I use debris netting from mudfords to keep the pigeons and butterflies off, it is a lot cheaper than stuff sold as butterfly netting. It is strong and uv treated too, you do need to buy by the 50m roll though and it is only two widths, 2m or 3m....
    I use debris netting from mudfords to keep the pigeons and butterflies off, it is a lot cheaper than stuff sold as butterfly netting. It is strong and uv treated too, you do need to buy by the 50m...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice