Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

Allotments Discussion

Got and Allotment? Or Want an Allotment? All Discussion here for what you can do and how to get one.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Webmaster

Government Allotment Petition ....

I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his wages going to a pension fund.There needs to be...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only affect the 'man in the street' that has part of his...
    I think that you'll find the owners of most of the sites are big companies and their major investors are the pension companies. So if there's a punitive charge for this to be done it will only...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. UsedtobeDendy

Things are a bit different in Scotland

That makes sense, much more appropriate area!:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Webmaster
    Useful x 5

Advice on getting an allotment ......

I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed it into a search engine and luckily they had their...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my own postcode, I then found the nearest and typed...
    I didn't find the council helpful in linking me to an allotment, but what I did find was using your local councils website, they usually list all the surrounding allotment sites.Working from my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. clanless
    Like x 19

Got this 2 weeks ago

And...here is the frame erected this morning - I haven't tightened up the bolts yet - I'll do that next week - I ran out of time this morning. I'll check it is square, tighten up the bolts and...
    And...here is the frame erected this morning - I haven't tightened up the bolts yet - I'll do that next week - I ran out of time this morning. I'll check it is square, tighten up the bolts and then dab a blob of fast set adhesive on each joint to stop the bolt coming loose and to give it a...
    And...here is the frame erected this morning - I haven't tightened up the bolts yet - I'll do that next week - I ran out of time this morning. I'll check it is square, tighten up the bolts and then dab a blob of fast set adhesive on each joint...
    And...here is the frame erected this morning - I haven't tightened up the bolts yet - I'll do that next week - I ran out of time this morning. I'll check it is square, tighten up the bolts and...
    Allot 3.jpg Allot 1.jpg Allot 4.jpg IMG_20190812_121538.jpg IMG_20190812_121110.jpg Gate.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. David Cook

Carrots Growing

A bit of a top up when the shoulders of the carrots push above the soil, to stop them going green, do you think John? But not "heap-it-on" like spuds I agree.Home Grown Veg is the man you need...
    A bit of a top up when the shoulders of the carrots push above the soil, to stop them going green, do you think John? But not "heap-it-on" like spuds I agree.Home Grown Veg is the man you need for "Carrots in a Bucket"He has a style not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but he has 84K...
    A bit of a top up when the shoulders of the carrots push above the soil, to stop them going green, do you think John? But not "heap-it-on" like spuds I agree.Home Grown Veg is the man you need for "Carrots in a Bucket"He has a style not to...
    A bit of a top up when the shoulders of the carrots push above the soil, to stop them going green, do you think John? But not "heap-it-on" like spuds I agree.Home Grown Veg is the man you need...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. "doddery"
    Like x 13

Got myself a new allotment

Oh my goodness! I'd love to have a patch of land like this to grow my veggies on!
    Oh my goodness! I'd love to have a patch of land like this to grow my veggies on!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jordhandeson

Plants and Sun direction???

:what: Probably a stupid question,:noidea: but I am like that.:heehee: Does it matter in relation to the sun ie rises in the East and goes down in the West, is there a preference as to what direction the rows of...
    :what: Probably a stupid question,:noidea: but I am like that.:heehee: Does it matter in relation to the sun ie rises in the East and goes down in the West, is there a preference as to what direction the rows of vegetable plants are in, or dose it not matter.
    :what: Probably a stupid question,:noidea: but I am like that.:heehee: Does it matter in relation to the sun ie rises in the East and goes down in the West, is there a preference as to what direction the rows of vegetable plants are in, or dose it not matter.
    :what: Probably a stupid question,:noidea: but I am like that.:heehee: Does it matter in relation to the sun ie rises in the East and goes down in the West, is there a preference as to what direction the rows of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. lazy-gardener

Can I put chicken manure straight on my plot

For the Lazee gardener much better to use the pelleted chicken manure which has no smell either, bet your heap of fresh manure is minging ! Hope you have it on an allotment and not near your house!
    For the Lazee gardener much better to use the pelleted chicken manure which has no smell either, bet your heap of fresh manure is minging ! Hope you have it on an allotment and not near your house!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. lazy-gardener

Is this a cutworm

It's not just birds that eat tasty morsels like that....frogs, toads, hedgehogs, moles, martens and foxes too. I'm not sure whether covering overnight with a plastic sheet would work as it does...
    It's not just birds that eat tasty morsels like that....frogs, toads, hedgehogs, moles, martens and foxes too. I'm not sure whether covering overnight with a plastic sheet would work as it does for slugs and snails, bringing them to the surface, but worth a try? IME, nematode success is so...
    It's not just birds that eat tasty morsels like that....frogs, toads, hedgehogs, moles, martens and foxes too. I'm not sure whether covering overnight with a plastic sheet would work as it does for slugs and snails, bringing them to the surface,...
    It's not just birds that eat tasty morsels like that....frogs, toads, hedgehogs, moles, martens and foxes too. I'm not sure whether covering overnight with a plastic sheet would work as it does...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lazy-gardener

What do I do with all these caterpillars

I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds...
    I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds will do their thing
    I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds will do their thing
    I always try to identify them.If they are useful or pretty, I relocate them or just let them be.If they are of the "I will eat your crops" - kind, they end up in a large bucket and the birds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jasmine star

Should I get a allotment?

Removed another section of tarp this morning ready to work on another small section. Operation get on my knees and dig :help: it was a lovely few hours listening to the birds. I was joined by a cat...
    Removed another section of tarp this morning ready to work on another small section. Operation get on my knees and dig :help: it was a lovely few hours listening to the birds. I was joined by a cat that was stalking something nearby. I could hear the children in a nearby school which was nice too. ...
    Removed another section of tarp this morning ready to work on another small section. Operation get on my knees and dig :help: it was a lovely few hours listening to the birds. I was joined by a cat that was stalking something nearby. I could hear the...
    Removed another section of tarp this morning ready to work on another small section. Operation get on my knees and dig :help: it was a lovely few hours listening to the birds. I was joined by a cat...
    20201016_114855.jpg 20201016_114835.jpg 20201016_114817.jpg 20201016_114814.jpg IMG_20201017_174732411.jpg 20210118_131110.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. lazy-gardener
    Friendly x 4

my first allotment but very disheartened at the moment

Amongst the couch grass we had bindweed. To dig that out you'd need to go down literally metres. One spray of good systemic weedkiller and it's gone. I'd do that at dusk on a sunny evening when...
    Amongst the couch grass we had bindweed. To dig that out you'd need to go down literally metres. One spray of good systemic weedkiller and it's gone. I'd do that at dusk on a sunny evening when all the insects have turned in for the night (apart from mozzies) Once it's dried into the foliage...
    Amongst the couch grass we had bindweed. To dig that out you'd need to go down literally metres. One spray of good systemic weedkiller and it's gone. I'd do that at dusk on a sunny evening when all the insects have turned in for the night (apart...
    Amongst the couch grass we had bindweed. To dig that out you'd need to go down literally metres. One spray of good systemic weedkiller and it's gone. I'd do that at dusk on a sunny evening when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Mike Allen

Do you belong to your local allotment club etc.

Luckily we were blessed with an own garden when we bought our new home.But from where we lived before there was a looooong list of candidates who were dying to finally get an allotment. And...
    Luckily we were blessed with an own garden when we bought our new home.But from where we lived before there was a looooong list of candidates who were dying to finally get an allotment. And that was literally what they were waiting for, as new lots only freed up as old people passed away. And...
    Luckily we were blessed with an own garden when we bought our new home.But from where we lived before there was a looooong list of candidates who were dying to finally get an allotment. And that was literally what they were waiting for, as new...
    Luckily we were blessed with an own garden when we bought our new home.But from where we lived before there was a looooong list of candidates who were dying to finally get an allotment. And...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Bashful

Stones

And some people gather them up and chuck them (along with white rot infected onions, blighted spuds/tomatoes, etc. onto an adjacent plot that might look like it's not being used.
    And some people gather them up and chuck them (along with white rot infected onions, blighted spuds/tomatoes, etc. onto an adjacent plot that might look like it's not being used.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. David Cook

Spent compost

Thanks Purple Streaks. Tried it. Amanda has also tried it in her garden. It don't work. The attraction with my garden is a feline. Poor mite. The local TOMs, from the posh houses treat her as...
    Thanks Purple Streaks. Tried it. Amanda has also tried it in her garden. It don't work. The attraction with my garden is a feline. Poor mite. The local TOMs, from the posh houses treat her as the local good time girl. She no sooner gives birth and she is once again impregnated. The...
    Thanks Purple Streaks. Tried it. Amanda has also tried it in her garden. It don't work. The attraction with my garden is a feline. Poor mite. The local TOMs, from the posh houses treat her as the local good time girl. She no sooner gives...
    Thanks Purple Streaks. Tried it. Amanda has also tried it in her garden. It don't work. The attraction with my garden is a feline. Poor mite. The local TOMs, from the posh houses treat her as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Emily Jones

Weeding between stones

Pulling weeds or plants in general from between stones should be easy. Soory. Very tired and in lots of pain at the moment. Nite nite.
    Pulling weeds or plants in general from between stones should be easy. Soory. Very tired and in lots of pain at the moment. Nite nite.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. David Cook

Cloche usage

Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche,...
    Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche, cold frame or greenhouse, but that can equally cause problems with watering and overheating etc. ...
    Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche, cold frame or greenhouse, but that can equally...
    Hi,Not grown winter raddish, but from what I have seen they do not need cloche protection either, certainly not this time of year.Like most plants you can grow them 'indoors' be it a cloche,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JR

Buzzing

Yes Emily,... Runner beans are a firm favourite with me too! The few that i planted at home this year did get a black fly attack. Whilst at the allotments they are squeaky clean. (plenty in the...
    Yes Emily,... Runner beans are a firm favourite with me too! The few that i planted at home this year did get a black fly attack. Whilst at the allotments they are squeaky clean. (plenty in the freezer) I reckon that with all the perenial flowers down there, the insect balance is much better to...
    Yes Emily,... Runner beans are a firm favourite with me too! The few that i planted at home this year did get a black fly attack. Whilst at the allotments they are squeaky clean. (plenty in the freezer) I reckon that with all the perenial...
    Yes Emily,... Runner beans are a firm favourite with me too! The few that i planted at home this year did get a black fly attack. Whilst at the allotments they are squeaky clean. (plenty in the...
    DSC_0021_1.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Emily Jones
    Like x 3

Goodies

Thank you @Emily Jones it must be that run of hot weather we had, the rogue is in the greenhouse but the others are out in the elements and seem to be fairing well.Tink.
    Thank you @Emily Jones it must be that run of hot weather we had, the rogue is in the greenhouse but the others are out in the elements and seem to be fairing well.Tink.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Emily Jones

Not yet a composter

Oh!!! I don't think we're allowed to light our own, we have a couple of guys who just tend a main one. It doesn't get lit too often from what I can gather. Oh my...do you think he was trying to...
    Oh!!! I don't think we're allowed to light our own, we have a couple of guys who just tend a main one. It doesn't get lit too often from what I can gather. Oh my...do you think he was trying to cook his apples before picking them :doh::biggrin:
    Oh!!! I don't think we're allowed to light our own, we have a couple of guys who just tend a main one. It doesn't get lit too often from what I can gather. Oh my...do you think he was trying to cook his apples before picking them :doh::biggrin:
    Oh!!! I don't think we're allowed to light our own, we have a couple of guys who just tend a main one. It doesn't get lit too often from what I can gather. Oh my...do you think he was trying to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Emily Jones

New allotment progress

Glad your carrots are doing well. I've got to get learning more courgette recipes. I'm inundated. I recently used a few to make chutney. Not yet tasted it. My cabbage seems to be ok at the moment,...
    Glad your carrots are doing well. I've got to get learning more courgette recipes. I'm inundated. I recently used a few to make chutney. Not yet tasted it. My cabbage seems to be ok at the moment, ive got them covered over because the birds had a field day when they first got planted. Aw sounds...
    Glad your carrots are doing well. I've got to get learning more courgette recipes. I'm inundated. I recently used a few to make chutney. Not yet tasted it. My cabbage seems to be ok at the moment, ive got them covered over because the birds had a...
    Glad your carrots are doing well. I've got to get learning more courgette recipes. I'm inundated. I recently used a few to make chutney. Not yet tasted it. My cabbage seems to be ok at the moment,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Dorndorf

compost bin over roots

Thanks for that, you have put my mind at ease. Fortunately (I think?) the tree was severely cut back two or three years ago, by the "allotment committee" - you can see that it only has the one...
    Thanks for that, you have put my mind at ease. Fortunately (I think?) the tree was severely cut back two or three years ago, by the "allotment committee" - you can see that it only has the one main branch growing out to the right. They said it had 'gone mad' so cut it back quite hard. I have...
    Thanks for that, you have put my mind at ease. Fortunately (I think?) the tree was severely cut back two or three years ago, by the "allotment committee" - you can see that it only has the one main branch growing out to the right. They said it...
    Thanks for that, you have put my mind at ease. Fortunately (I think?) the tree was severely cut back two or three years ago, by the "allotment committee" - you can see that it only has the one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Tim David

Climbing French Bean leaves dying

Thank you both! Will keep an eye on them.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice