1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney
    Like x 8

Instructions On Composting..

Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Too much wet stuff.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Steve R

Hot Composting - The Berkeley Method

Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little...
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little tricks.
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little tricks.
    Yeah I think the same doubt anything could keep the little rascals out hahahaha. I really appreciate you're views, it's great to be open to so much more knowledge, skills, experience and little...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Best supplier of compost 2024

There was a reading yesterday, " A Ten Minute bill" to ban the sale of peat based compost to the horticultural sector, with the bill being presented by, Theresa Villiers, the Tory MP for Chipping...
    There was a reading yesterday, " A Ten Minute bill" to ban the sale of peat based compost to the horticultural sector, with the bill being presented by, Theresa Villiers, the Tory MP for Chipping Barnet. The second reading is due on the 26th April it looks like it will not go unopposed.Link...
    There was a reading yesterday, " A Ten Minute bill" to ban the sale of peat based compost to the horticultural sector, with the bill being presented by, Theresa Villiers, the Tory MP for Chipping Barnet. The second reading is due on the 26th...
    There was a reading yesterday, " A Ten Minute bill" to ban the sale of peat based compost to the horticultural sector, with the bill being presented by, Theresa Villiers, the Tory MP for Chipping...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. Scrungee
    Like x 4

£4.99 for 15 kg of pellated chickem manure

I have managed to better that 33p/kg above - got some for 25p/kg today.Bargain hunting at Homebase today I noticed their 3 kg boxes were reduced to £1.50 plus on BOGOF, so only 75p each. If...
    I have managed to better that 33p/kg above - got some for 25p/kg today.Bargain hunting at Homebase today I noticed their 3 kg boxes were reduced to £1.50 plus on BOGOF, so only 75p each. If only it had also been a 10% off day:
    I have managed to better that 33p/kg above - got some for 25p/kg today.Bargain hunting at Homebase today I noticed their 3 kg boxes were reduced to £1.50 plus on BOGOF, so only 75p each. If only it had also been a 10% off day:
    I have managed to better that 33p/kg above - got some for 25p/kg today.Bargain hunting at Homebase today I noticed their 3 kg boxes were reduced to £1.50 plus on BOGOF, so only 75p each. If...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Steve R

[RECYCLE]Homemade Root trainers[REUSE]

Again Steve - many thanks. Its nice to hear from someone who has actually been working in the industry.You may have answered the heavy metals question by saying that there was a big push away...
    Again Steve - many thanks. Its nice to hear from someone who has actually been working in the industry.You may have answered the heavy metals question by saying that there was a big push away from toxins. Heavy metal salts were famous for being toxic and they may have been one of the first...
    Again Steve - many thanks. Its nice to hear from someone who has actually been working in the industry.You may have answered the heavy metals question by saying that there was a big push away from toxins. Heavy metal salts were famous for...
    Again Steve - many thanks. Its nice to hear from someone who has actually been working in the industry.You may have answered the heavy metals question by saying that there was a big push away...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Glynne Williams

Yes ..... But ...... which is a good NON PEAT COMPOST?

I just bought some small blocks of coconut coir from Poundland, that still only cost one pound each, which each expand when mixed with water to give 10 litres. They are compressed, light and...
    I just bought some small blocks of coconut coir from Poundland, that still only cost one pound each, which each expand when mixed with water to give 10 litres. They are compressed, light and tiny, so presumably if they are shipped as compressed blocks they are reasonably economical and...
    I just bought some small blocks of coconut coir from Poundland, that still only cost one pound each, which each expand when mixed with water to give 10 litres. They are compressed, light and tiny, so presumably if they are shipped as compressed...
    I just bought some small blocks of coconut coir from Poundland, that still only cost one pound each, which each expand when mixed with water to give 10 litres. They are compressed, light and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Roberta Farr

Yellow Slugs in Compost Bin

Yellow slugs ring bells in my head...I think I read something about these this week in a gardening paper I buy.I will have another look for you. Do they have a tiny shell like form at their end?...
    Yellow slugs ring bells in my head...I think I read something about these this week in a gardening paper I buy.I will have another look for you. Do they have a tiny shell like form at their end? if so they may be a rare type of slug that feeds on other slugs here in Britan. However it dies if it...
    Yellow slugs ring bells in my head...I think I read something about these this week in a gardening paper I buy.I will have another look for you. Do they have a tiny shell like form at their end? if so they may be a rare type of slug that feeds on...
    Yellow slugs ring bells in my head...I think I read something about these this week in a gardening paper I buy.I will have another look for you. Do they have a tiny shell like form at their end?...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Johnny

Yellow ball shaped bits in potting compost

Now this topic has answered my question! You learn something new every day....!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. exlabman

Yeast in compost?

You could make marmite with it :)Should be fine on the compost, but better in a leafmold bin :autlvs:
    You could make marmite with it :)Should be fine on the compost, but better in a leafmold bin :autlvs:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jack McHammocklashing
    Like x 5

Yay think I have done it at last

With the Autumn prunings to compost I started with fresh horse muck/straw and the 4ft open bin is now full and steaming nicely.
    With the Autumn prunings to compost I started with fresh horse muck/straw and the 4ft open bin is now full and steaming nicely.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Dips

Would you compost these?

Nope ours don't.
    Nope ours don't.
    Nope ours don't.
    Nope ours don't.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Loofah

Worst compost 2013

It was mentioned I start a new poll for this - your WORST compost for 2013. Those composts you think are rubbish and of poor quality. Any brands not mentioned please say and they'll be added by a...
    It was mentioned I start a new poll for this - your WORST compost for 2013. Those composts you think are rubbish and of poor quality. Any brands not mentioned please say and they'll be added by a mod (please!) Both peat based and peat free (PF) are included (EDIT: This might be better as a...
    It was mentioned I start a new poll for this - your WORST compost for 2013. Those composts you think are rubbish and of poor quality. Any brands not mentioned please say and they'll be added by a mod (please!) Both peat based and peat free (PF)...
    It was mentioned I start a new poll for this - your WORST compost for 2013. Those composts you think are rubbish and of poor quality. Any brands not mentioned please say and they'll be added by a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Loofah

Wormpost?

My green cone (cost £5 from my local council delivered) does just that, it just seems to be one seething mass of those red worms. Adding another 500 would make no difference at all - although...
    My green cone (cost £5 from my local council delivered) does just that, it just seems to be one seething mass of those red worms. Adding another 500 would make no difference at all - although they might be good to get it started if you had none to begin with.
    My green cone (cost £5 from my local council delivered) does just that, it just seems to be one seething mass of those red worms. Adding another 500 would make no difference at all - although they might be good to get it started if you had none...
    My green cone (cost £5 from my local council delivered) does just that, it just seems to be one seething mass of those red worms. Adding another 500 would make no difference at all - although...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Time

Wormery...

I have two now as have got the hang of converting a wheelie bin and so halved them as they were getting out of control. I love them I dont know why - I woudl keep them even if they didnt make good...
    I have two now as have got the hang of converting a wheelie bin and so halved them as they were getting out of control. I love them I dont know why - I woudl keep them even if they didnt make good compost. I spent the first two years worrying about them if they were unhappy because that is also...
    I have two now as have got the hang of converting a wheelie bin and so halved them as they were getting out of control. I love them I dont know why - I woudl keep them even if they didnt make good compost. I spent the first two years worrying...
    I have two now as have got the hang of converting a wheelie bin and so halved them as they were getting out of control. I love them I dont know why - I woudl keep them even if they didnt make good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Time

WORMERY...

Tim .. The one i am getting is a four tray from worm city.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. IDigPerfectSquareHoles

Wormery and compost making enzymes

Just let the worms do the job. Worm-processed compost is a bit richer in nutrients than compost produced by decomposition.
    Just let the worms do the job. Worm-processed compost is a bit richer in nutrients than compost produced by decomposition.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. lynne

wormery - can o worms

I've just bought some 'how to build a wormery cheap' plans off ebay. its a link to a web site with distructions to follow. I haven't looked at the site yet but if its any good i'll let you know....
    I've just bought some 'how to build a wormery cheap' plans off ebay. its a link to a web site with distructions to follow. I haven't looked at the site yet but if its any good i'll let you know. I'd better not give the direct website link on here cos I doubt the seller would be too happy, but...
    I've just bought some 'how to build a wormery cheap' plans off ebay. its a link to a web site with distructions to follow. I haven't looked at the site yet but if its any good i'll let you know. I'd better not give the direct website link on here...
    I've just bought some 'how to build a wormery cheap' plans off ebay. its a link to a web site with distructions to follow. I haven't looked at the site yet but if its any good i'll let you know....
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. GeorgeBean

Wormery

So I only need the black tray at the bottom? I think the worms will drop thru into the juice?
    So I only need the black tray at the bottom? I think the worms will drop thru into the juice?
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. *dim*

wormery

wow. Herts recyclers must have had their own agenda then! I don't keep rabbits though..
    wow. Herts recyclers must have had their own agenda then! I don't keep rabbits though..
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. ccfcgirl

Worm Farms: Home made v Shop bought

I read on several forums that the best compost is made from wormeries that have rabbit poo as a 50% diet for the worms
    I read on several forums that the best compost is made from wormeries that have rabbit poo as a 50% diet for the worms
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Dave W

Worm composting and nutrition.

Compost worms are very nutritious particularly if eaten fresh :-)
    upload_2014-11-19_21-33-24.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Phil A

worm composting

That video seemed to take an overly complicated method of working with worms Ziggy. If you are thinking of putting a few in bear in mind that the worms need pretty regular feeding to keep their...
    That video seemed to take an overly complicated method of working with worms Ziggy. If you are thinking of putting a few in bear in mind that the worms need pretty regular feeding to keep their numbers up.
    That video seemed to take an overly complicated method of working with worms Ziggy. If you are thinking of putting a few in bear in mind that the worms need pretty regular feeding to keep their numbers up.
    That video seemed to take an overly complicated method of working with worms Ziggy. If you are thinking of putting a few in bear in mind that the worms need pretty regular feeding to keep their...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. JohnD

Worm advice

There's a few threads Here you might find useful :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice