1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↑ Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Selleri
    Like x 3

Summer containers 2021/2022 ideas?

Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our...
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our sons still lives there & has a daughter with his partner. The other two followed us back to the UK....
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our sons still lives there & has a daughter with his...
    Yes, I lived in Spain for the better part of 30 years! I met my wife there & we have 3 grown up children & 5 gkids! Our 3 were born in Spain & 2 of our granddaughters were as well. Now 1 of our...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. justin249

How to Grow Ferns in Pots

The scientific name of Ferns is Tracheophyta and the plants are fabulous and they make a beautiful addition to the garden. These wonderful perennial plants have been around for millions of...
    The scientific name of Ferns is Tracheophyta and the plants are fabulous and they make a beautiful addition to the garden. These wonderful perennial plants have been around for millions of years, the plant usually grow in the forest, in rocky hills and in sand. Do ferns grow well in pots?...
    The scientific name of Ferns is Tracheophyta and the plants are fabulous and they make a beautiful addition to the garden. These wonderful perennial plants have been around for millions of years, the plant usually grow in the forest, in rocky...
    The scientific name of Ferns is Tracheophyta and the plants are fabulous and they make a beautiful addition to the garden. These wonderful perennial plants have been around for millions of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. hi2u_uk

Tree suggestions please for my garden

Hello All I would like to put a tree in the centre of the soil space in my back garden. It seems the soil is only about 2 inches deep and it is actually quite smelly . I guess i need to have a...
    Hello All I would like to put a tree in the centre of the soil space in my back garden. It seems the soil is only about 2 inches deep and it is actually quite smelly . I guess i need to have a tree in a container. I want a tree that will grow to a max of 2.5m, will have green leaves all year...
    Hello All I would like to put a tree in the centre of the soil space in my back garden. It seems the soil is only about 2 inches deep and it is actually quite smelly . I guess i need to have a tree in a container. I want a tree that will grow...
    Hello All I would like to put a tree in the centre of the soil space in my back garden. It seems the soil is only about 2 inches deep and it is actually quite smelly . I guess i need to have a...
    20220516_182339.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Victoria

Houseplants Outside

What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small...
    What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small windows, I cannot have indoor plants. Also, in these old cottages in a hot country, the windowsills tend...
    What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small windows, I cannot have indoor plants. Also, in these old...
    What most know as houseplants, I am fortunate I can have them permanently outdoors. For me this is fortunate because as I live in a "casa antiga" old house with 60cm thick walls and small...
    Pachira 13 Jul.jpg Schefflera 13 Jul.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. barryman

Solanum Glasnevin - Chilean potato plant

Somebody has just given me a Solanum Glasnevin Chilean potato plant growing in a pot. It's about 70 cm tall at the moment.I already have one of these which I grow around an archway so I know how...
    Somebody has just given me a Solanum Glasnevin Chilean potato plant growing in a pot. It's about 70 cm tall at the moment.I already have one of these which I grow around an archway so I know how nice they look. But what I am wondering is whether I could grow this in a container on my patio and...
    Somebody has just given me a Solanum Glasnevin Chilean potato plant growing in a pot. It's about 70 cm tall at the moment.I already have one of these which I grow around an archway so I know how nice they look. But what I am wondering is...
    Somebody has just given me a Solanum Glasnevin Chilean potato plant growing in a pot. It's about 70 cm tall at the moment.I already have one of these which I grow around an archway so I know how...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Dave_79

Dwarf Conifer in Pot Help

Finally threw out a conifer which had gone 2/3 brown & its faded old terracotta pot that had been near our front door since we moved in over 2 years ago & was clearly never gonna recover. I have a...
    Finally threw out a conifer which had gone 2/3 brown & its faded old terracotta pot that had been near our front door since we moved in over 2 years ago & was clearly never gonna recover. I have a new tall pot ready and just need to find a dwarf conifer to put in it. The old pot was insanely...
    Finally threw out a conifer which had gone 2/3 brown & its faded old terracotta pot that had been near our front door since we moved in over 2 years ago & was clearly never gonna recover. I have a new tall pot ready and just need to find a dwarf...
    Finally threw out a conifer which had gone 2/3 brown & its faded old terracotta pot that had been near our front door since we moved in over 2 years ago & was clearly never gonna recover. I have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Steveb21

Growing bamboo in tall trough

Good morning all,Fibre glass trough with dimensions of:900mm height 1.2m length 300mm depthThe troughs are not hollow all the way through. They are approx. 350mm deep from the top with a...
    Good morning all,Fibre glass trough with dimensions of:900mm height 1.2m length 300mm depthThe troughs are not hollow all the way through. They are approx. 350mm deep from the top with a false base.Question: I was planning to plant bamboo and use as screening by some fences. Are these...
    Good morning all,Fibre glass trough with dimensions of:900mm height 1.2m length 300mm depthThe troughs are not hollow all the way through. They are approx. 350mm deep from the top with a false base.Question: I was planning to plant...
    Good morning all,Fibre glass trough with dimensions of:900mm height 1.2m length 300mm depthThe troughs are not hollow all the way through. They are approx. 350mm deep from the top with a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. flamingjune

Encouraging new shoots (it's more of a houseplant question)

I've a few plants, like yucca type things, where there is a long woody stem and then a bush of greenery on the end. There's a constant dropping of old leaves and new ones appearing (why they do...
    I've a few plants, like yucca type things, where there is a long woody stem and then a bush of greenery on the end. There's a constant dropping of old leaves and new ones appearing (why they do that, put all the effort into growing a leaf only to throw it off later, I don't know - some seem to...
    I've a few plants, like yucca type things, where there is a long woody stem and then a bush of greenery on the end. There's a constant dropping of old leaves and new ones appearing (why they do that, put all the effort into growing a leaf only to...
    I've a few plants, like yucca type things, where there is a long woody stem and then a bush of greenery on the end. There's a constant dropping of old leaves and new ones appearing (why they do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ennnceee

Watering my Aloe!

Greetings from Shoreham-by-Sea.I have a wonderful (to my eyes), greatly overcrowded, but very healthy Aloe Vera in our north-facing bay window. I say healthy, well, the main, upright section...
    Greetings from Shoreham-by-Sea.I have a wonderful (to my eyes), greatly overcrowded, but very healthy Aloe Vera in our north-facing bay window. I say healthy, well, the main, upright section recently collapsed under its weight, but, at the same time it has produced two flower spikes, so it...
    Greetings from Shoreham-by-Sea.I have a wonderful (to my eyes), greatly overcrowded, but very healthy Aloe Vera in our north-facing bay window. I say healthy, well, the main, upright section recently collapsed under its weight, but, at the same...
    Greetings from Shoreham-by-Sea.I have a wonderful (to my eyes), greatly overcrowded, but very healthy Aloe Vera in our north-facing bay window. I say healthy, well, the main, upright section...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Thomas stock

Bamboo planter advice please

Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build for them? I was thinking about 2no, 1.5m x 300mm x 400mm in height.Will have removable back for...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build for them? I was thinking about 2no, 1.5m x 300mm...
    Hi guys and thank you for reading my post.I have some Fargesia rufa bamboo and I plan on using it for a screen to block out overlooking neighbours.Just wondering your views on what I can build...
    20191005_143705.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. mazambo

Wilko tub and basket compost

Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat +...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat + gel and food for 6 weeks, not going to freak about it, it'll be used up because I've got it but i...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat + gel and food for 6 weeks, not going to freak about...
    Hi everyone, picked up a few bags of wilko tub and basket compost for the wife today, handy size 20L, my wife's just used one and I was reading the back of the bag and noticed it was 100% peat +...
    20190603_184923.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. mazambo

Bacopa snowtonia

Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their...
    Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their current pots until the end of May, they do have an awful lot of roots in there?
    Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their current pots until the end of May, they do have an...
    Hi everyone, a wet day today so I'm in the greenhouse, the bacopa I've grown for my wife's baskets are doing well and are in bud at the moment, I'm just wondering if I can leave them in their...
    20190426_132114.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. enchanté jardinier

Window Box Building Steps - My railings planters

Hello,To decorate my wrap around porch, I made these window box or planters or railings flower box.Easy to make.Steps ----> My window boxes
    Hello,To decorate my wrap around porch, I made these window box or planters or railings flower box.Easy to make.Steps ----> My window boxes
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Delta

Wisteria feeding?

I've got a 4-yo air-layered Wisteria tree growing in a 10 inch pot currently (same one it arrived to me in 2 months ago). It's wonderfully healthy having seen off a heavy slug attack, & growing...
    I've got a 4-yo air-layered Wisteria tree growing in a 10 inch pot currently (same one it arrived to me in 2 months ago). It's wonderfully healthy having seen off a heavy slug attack, & growing crazily (as they do).However, I'm trying to prepare it for when it'll hopefully be ready to flower...
    I've got a 4-yo air-layered Wisteria tree growing in a 10 inch pot currently (same one it arrived to me in 2 months ago). It's wonderfully healthy having seen off a heavy slug attack, & growing crazily (as they do).However, I'm trying to...
    I've got a 4-yo air-layered Wisteria tree growing in a 10 inch pot currently (same one it arrived to me in 2 months ago). It's wonderfully healthy having seen off a heavy slug attack, & growing...
    Wisteria (Small).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. rosebay

Verbena - scorched after flowering - OK for next year?

I have verbena in a hanging basket that I water daily. It grew back from last year and flowered well. It is now past the flowering stage.With the hotter weather, the stalks have all gone brown,...
    I have verbena in a hanging basket that I water daily. It grew back from last year and flowered well. It is now past the flowering stage.With the hotter weather, the stalks have all gone brown, dry and hard all the way to the soil (it is a short plant though). I am now wondering whether it...
    I have verbena in a hanging basket that I water daily. It grew back from last year and flowered well. It is now past the flowering stage.With the hotter weather, the stalks have all gone brown, dry and hard all the way to the soil (it is a...
    I have verbena in a hanging basket that I water daily. It grew back from last year and flowered well. It is now past the flowering stage.With the hotter weather, the stalks have all gone brown,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. cr1tical

Shrub for containers in full shade

I have 2ftx2ft containers either side of my front door, sitting in full shade (door faces north). They have had pyramid shaped box about 2 1/2 ft high but I have lost them both to blight. I...
    I have 2ftx2ft containers either side of my front door, sitting in full shade (door faces north). They have had pyramid shaped box about 2 1/2 ft high but I have lost them both to blight. I would like a change from box if possible, looking for something I can shape, that will live on the north...
    I have 2ftx2ft containers either side of my front door, sitting in full shade (door faces north). They have had pyramid shaped box about 2 1/2 ft high but I have lost them both to blight. I would like a change from box if possible, looking for...
    I have 2ftx2ft containers either side of my front door, sitting in full shade (door faces north). They have had pyramid shaped box about 2 1/2 ft high but I have lost them both to blight. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Delta

Conifer woes :(

I've had this poor conifer for almost 20 yrs & while obviously years ago it was in good nick, since my health deteriorated to where I struggle to repot a 10 inch plant pot, & thus have no mission...
    I've had this poor conifer for almost 20 yrs & while obviously years ago it was in good nick, since my health deteriorated to where I struggle to repot a 10 inch plant pot, & thus have no mission of easily repotting this poor thing or getting help to do it, it amazingly continues to put out new...
    I've had this poor conifer for almost 20 yrs & while obviously years ago it was in good nick, since my health deteriorated to where I struggle to repot a 10 inch plant pot, & thus have no mission of easily repotting this poor thing or getting...
    I've had this poor conifer for almost 20 yrs & while obviously years ago it was in good nick, since my health deteriorated to where I struggle to repot a 10 inch plant pot, & thus have no mission...
    Conifer2 (Medium).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. newpotato

Ivy in hanging baskets

I have a very shaded corner in my garden, which I am thinking of filling with hanging baskets. I like the idea of ivy trailing from the plants but having dealt with ivy in past, I know what a...
    I have a very shaded corner in my garden, which I am thinking of filling with hanging baskets. I like the idea of ivy trailing from the plants but having dealt with ivy in past, I know what a nuisance it can be and I don't want to put it in pots with other plants if its liable to just end up...
    I have a very shaded corner in my garden, which I am thinking of filling with hanging baskets. I like the idea of ivy trailing from the plants but having dealt with ivy in past, I know what a nuisance it can be and I don't want to put it in pots...
    I have a very shaded corner in my garden, which I am thinking of filling with hanging baskets. I like the idea of ivy trailing from the plants but having dealt with ivy in past, I know what a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. kels

Yarrow pot plant

I have a yarrow pot plant that has grown/spread around the pot very fast. I like the look and texture of this plant. I have two questions If put into the ground some were its protected from wind...
    I have a yarrow pot plant that has grown/spread around the pot very fast. I like the look and texture of this plant. I have two questions If put into the ground some were its protected from wind and rain will this spread as thats a worry so maybe thinking just get a very huge pot and try and...
    I have a yarrow pot plant that has grown/spread around the pot very fast. I like the look and texture of this plant. I have two questions If put into the ground some were its protected from wind and rain will this spread as thats a worry so...
    I have a yarrow pot plant that has grown/spread around the pot very fast. I like the look and texture of this plant. I have two questions If put into the ground some were its protected from wind...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Ciryluk

I want to Grow a Grapevine in a Container

As above I have ordered a Grapevine "Blue Dream" from Suttons Seeds which I want to grow in a container on a balcony against some black railings which is South-South/East facing and gets full sun...
    As above I have ordered a Grapevine "Blue Dream" from Suttons Seeds which I want to grow in a container on a balcony against some black railings which is South-South/East facing and gets full sun for most of the day in the summer and I want to get fruit from the vine eventually... it comes in a...
    As above I have ordered a Grapevine "Blue Dream" from Suttons Seeds which I want to grow in a container on a balcony against some black railings which is South-South/East facing and gets full sun for most of the day in the summer and I want to...
    As above I have ordered a Grapevine "Blue Dream" from Suttons Seeds which I want to grow in a container on a balcony against some black railings which is South-South/East facing and gets full sun...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. michell8151

weevil insecticide to use in garden soils besides containers?

Good evening. Does anyone know of an weevil insecticide to use in garden soils not only containers. Moment they are knawing at my buddliea, good as dead. I am using bug killer. Does not mention...
    Good evening. Does anyone know of an weevil insecticide to use in garden soils not only containers. Moment they are knawing at my buddliea, good as dead. I am using bug killer. Does not mention weevil:mswhl: beetle.
    Good evening. Does anyone know of an weevil insecticide to use in garden soils not only containers. Moment they are knawing at my buddliea, good as dead. I am using bug killer. Does not mention weevil:mswhl: beetle.
    Good evening. Does anyone know of an weevil insecticide to use in garden soils not only containers. Moment they are knawing at my buddliea, good as dead. I am using bug killer. Does not mention...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice