1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. WilliamF

Container Gardening

A good list from Kristen. I would echo the Runner Beans suggestion. The also provide a bright red flower before developing the Bean. Streawberries and Tomatoes (tumbling Toms) can be grown from...
    A good list from Kristen. I would echo the Runner Beans suggestion. The also provide a bright red flower before developing the Bean. Streawberries and Tomatoes (tumbling Toms) can be grown from hanging baskets in the shelter of a yard. Subject to the Sun position the Toms. may need to be...
    A good list from Kristen. I would echo the Runner Beans suggestion. The also provide a bright red flower before developing the Bean. Streawberries and Tomatoes (tumbling Toms) can be grown from hanging baskets in the shelter of a yard. Subject to...
    A good list from Kristen. I would echo the Runner Beans suggestion. The also provide a bright red flower before developing the Bean. Streawberries and Tomatoes (tumbling Toms) can be grown from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. joeyvicks

Late Ducth Honeysuckle & Clematis Pamela Jackman in same container?

They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because...
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because the clematis will want to climb and it does this by twining very fine tendrils around...
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because the clematis will want to climb and it does this...
    They'll get on okay in a pot if the pot's a decent size, it'll need to be at least 2' wide and 2' deep because clematis have deep roots. It'll also need an obelisk or an open wire trellis because...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. acelamps

Container Plants for salty atmosphere

Search for "Halophytes" or salt tolerant plants.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Andy567

Any Crop suggestions for a large container?

Given the dimensions I'd suggest you grow something that grows down rather than up. Carrots, parsnips, leeks. If it's wood or plastic you could bore holes and plant strawberries or even tomatoes.
    Given the dimensions I'd suggest you grow something that grows down rather than up. Carrots, parsnips, leeks. If it's wood or plastic you could bore holes and plant strawberries or even tomatoes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Brind

Can you recommended a shrub for a container..

yeah I read they are pretty slow growing. I'd have to buy a more mature plant if I chose to use one.There's no chance of the shrub getting wet being beside the pond, the waterfall is facing...
    yeah I read they are pretty slow growing. I'd have to buy a more mature plant if I chose to use one.There's no chance of the shrub getting wet being beside the pond, the waterfall is facing away from the area the shrub will be placed.Another note, it'll be in full sun too.
    yeah I read they are pretty slow growing. I'd have to buy a more mature plant if I chose to use one.There's no chance of the shrub getting wet being beside the pond, the waterfall is facing away from the area the shrub will be...
    yeah I read they are pretty slow growing. I'd have to buy a more mature plant if I chose to use one.There's no chance of the shrub getting wet being beside the pond, the waterfall is facing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Clematis

Bokashi Food Waste Containers

I have one from last year, and yes they are smelly. The best description of the smell is of brewing hops. Also i have a small kitchen and take up unnecessary space. I may actually get rid of it...
    I have one from last year, and yes they are smelly. The best description of the smell is of brewing hops. Also i have a small kitchen and take up unnecessary space. I may actually get rid of it tbh because of the combo of space and smell.
    I have one from last year, and yes they are smelly. The best description of the smell is of brewing hops. Also i have a small kitchen and take up unnecessary space. I may actually get rid of it tbh because of the combo of space and smell.
    I have one from last year, and yes they are smelly. The best description of the smell is of brewing hops. Also i have a small kitchen and take up unnecessary space. I may actually get rid of it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. walnut

A few ideas for containers

Heres a recycled container in my garden.It used to be a tumble dryer drum.Now home to a Magnolia and various bulbs.
    Heres a recycled container in my garden.It used to be a tumble dryer drum.Now home to a Magnolia and various bulbs.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Scotkat

My Doorstep Container this morning

She will survive well sheltered on doorstep:) Got small terracota kettles as well
    She will survive well sheltered on doorstep:) Got small terracota kettles as well
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Muddy_Boots

Bulbs in Containers

OK DavidI thought it would be OK as they seem to thrive on the roadside in this area , year after year. Anyway, north facing fence it is!Just had a wander around out there and it seems...
    OK DavidI thought it would be OK as they seem to thrive on the roadside in this area , year after year. Anyway, north facing fence it is!Just had a wander around out there and it seems like this rain we have had, has done a world of good
    OK DavidI thought it would be OK as they seem to thrive on the roadside in this area , year after year. Anyway, north facing fence it is!Just had a wander around out there and it seems like this rain we have had, has done a world of good
    OK DavidI thought it would be OK as they seem to thrive on the roadside in this area , year after year. Anyway, north facing fence it is!Just had a wander around out there and it seems...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. NewbieGreen

Container/edible suggestions

Thanks, i read Lidl were selling seeds for only 29p a pack so nipped in on the way home from work. And they were too. Just got a pack of basil that i've grown before from seed, dead easy. And...
    Thanks, i read Lidl were selling seeds for only 29p a pack so nipped in on the way home from work. And they were too. Just got a pack of basil that i've grown before from seed, dead easy. And some carrot seeds. So lets see how that goes.It reminded me about the basil seeds how they change...
    Thanks, i read Lidl were selling seeds for only 29p a pack so nipped in on the way home from work. And they were too. Just got a pack of basil that i've grown before from seed, dead easy. And some carrot seeds. So lets see how that goes.It...
    Thanks, i read Lidl were selling seeds for only 29p a pack so nipped in on the way home from work. And they were too. Just got a pack of basil that i've grown before from seed, dead easy. And...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. morris28

Container Plants

If your going to increase the size of the pot, I'd do it now to give the roots time to establish - and I would look to put it in the pot that it will remain in.I don't know this particular...
    If your going to increase the size of the pot, I'd do it now to give the roots time to establish - and I would look to put it in the pot that it will remain in.I don't know this particular rose, but if it will only grow to 3 foot, then its quite small - so you won't need a huge pot - but it...
    If your going to increase the size of the pot, I'd do it now to give the roots time to establish - and I would look to put it in the pot that it will remain in.I don't know this particular rose, but if it will only grow to 3 foot, then its...
    If your going to increase the size of the pot, I'd do it now to give the roots time to establish - and I would look to put it in the pot that it will remain in.I don't know this particular...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ohbe

container spuds?

Fill the barrel half way with compost, one of the large half barrels will do. put about 5 pot's in evenly spaced, cover with compost, water. when the top growth is about 2" high, cover with more...
    Fill the barrel half way with compost, one of the large half barrels will do. put about 5 pot's in evenly spaced, cover with compost, water. when the top growth is about 2" high, cover with more compost, repeat till the barrel is filled to within a couple of inches from the top of the half...
    Fill the barrel half way with compost, one of the large half barrels will do. put about 5 pot's in evenly spaced, cover with compost, water. when the top growth is about 2" high, cover with more compost, repeat till the barrel is filled to within...
    Fill the barrel half way with compost, one of the large half barrels will do. put about 5 pot's in evenly spaced, cover with compost, water. when the top growth is about 2" high, cover with more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Bluebell

Overwintering Container Plants.

Hi, I agree with ladybird- most of the common conainer plants are easier to grow from seed than to overwinter, if you have room you can start them early on your windowsills. I had a little ...
    Hi, I agree with ladybird- most of the common conainer plants are easier to grow from seed than to overwinter, if you have room you can start them early on your windowsills. I had a little plastic greenhouse and found that my main problem was mildew etc. because it's hard to keep the plants...
    Hi, I agree with ladybird- most of the common conainer plants are easier to grow from seed than to overwinter, if you have room you can start them early on your windowsills. I had a little plastic greenhouse and found that my main problem was...
    Hi, I agree with ladybird- most of the common conainer plants are easier to grow from seed than to overwinter, if you have room you can start them early on your windowsills. I had a little ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Pauline Adams

Potatoes in Containers

For my early, early potatoes in the past I have used an old dustbin with drainage holes; put about a foot of compost on top of a couple of inches of crocks in the bottom, space out four seed...
    For my early, early potatoes in the past I have used an old dustbin with drainage holes; put about a foot of compost on top of a couple of inches of crocks in the bottom, space out four seed potatoes ( I always used "Charlotte"), cover with another 9 inches or so of compost and then as the...
    For my early, early potatoes in the past I have used an old dustbin with drainage holes; put about a foot of compost on top of a couple of inches of crocks in the bottom, space out four seed potatoes ( I always used "Charlotte"), cover with...
    For my early, early potatoes in the past I have used an old dustbin with drainage holes; put about a foot of compost on top of a couple of inches of crocks in the bottom, space out four seed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ricky101

Tree Lily division ?

I think I would divide them now as they have been in that pot for a while. Be careful though as lilies start early into growth abd the young shoots are fragile. I divided some Lilium henryii early...
    I think I would divide them now as they have been in that pot for a while. Be careful though as lilies start early into growth abd the young shoots are fragile. I divided some Lilium henryii early Feb and shoots were just below the surface and I broke a couple. You should be able to tease the...
    I think I would divide them now as they have been in that pot for a while. Be careful though as lilies start early into growth abd the young shoots are fragile. I divided some Lilium henryii early Feb and shoots were just below the surface and I...
    I think I would divide them now as they have been in that pot for a while. Be careful though as lilies start early into growth abd the young shoots are fragile. I divided some Lilium henryii early...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Kitte

Blue Nemesia.

I haven´t grown these plants before but if they have survived the temps you say then I would say leave things well alone till the spring when you could probably cut them back.
    I haven´t grown these plants before but if they have survived the temps you say then I would say leave things well alone till the spring when you could probably cut them back.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ystalyfera

Dwarf Patio royal burgundy cherry tree leaves

Its probably winding down now for winter, if the leaves are still looking green or have autumn colour starting then I wouldn't worry.I would consider replanting in John Innes compost if you...
    Its probably winding down now for winter, if the leaves are still looking green or have autumn colour starting then I wouldn't worry.I would consider replanting in John Innes compost if you only have it in multipurpose at the moment.
    Its probably winding down now for winter, if the leaves are still looking green or have autumn colour starting then I wouldn't worry.I would consider replanting in John Innes compost if you only have it in multipurpose at the moment.
    Its probably winding down now for winter, if the leaves are still looking green or have autumn colour starting then I wouldn't worry.I would consider replanting in John Innes compost if you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. BFOSP

Tatties in a bin ?

No reason why not. If it were me, I’d produce some holes in the bottom and add a couple of inches of broken up polystyrene to aid drainage before adding any compost.
    No reason why not. If it were me, I’d produce some holes in the bottom and add a couple of inches of broken up polystyrene to aid drainage before adding any compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ThePlantAssassin

Patio Plum OPAL very poorly

To be honest. I can't say I have ever seen what might appear as a healthy plum tree. Possibly due to the texture of the leaves. Any ways. The foliage on your tree certainly is ailing. If...
    To be honest. I can't say I have ever seen what might appear as a healthy plum tree. Possibly due to the texture of the leaves. Any ways. The foliage on your tree certainly is ailing. If possible, get rid of the most heavily affected leaves and burn them. Then as soon as the remaining...
    To be honest. I can't say I have ever seen what might appear as a healthy plum tree. Possibly due to the texture of the leaves. Any ways. The foliage on your tree certainly is ailing. If possible, get rid of the most heavily affected leaves...
    To be honest. I can't say I have ever seen what might appear as a healthy plum tree. Possibly due to the texture of the leaves. Any ways. The foliage on your tree certainly is ailing. If...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Elizabeth Boland

Azalea help

Its probably chlorosis, lack of iron. It needs acidic soil which would allow it to take up iron more easily.You could repot but I would water with sequestrene or chelated iron. Once a season is...
    Its probably chlorosis, lack of iron. It needs acidic soil which would allow it to take up iron more easily.You could repot but I would water with sequestrene or chelated iron. Once a season is usually enough.5 x 15g Sachets Sequestered Iron Plant Tonic Feed Food With Magnesium | eBay
    Its probably chlorosis, lack of iron. It needs acidic soil which would allow it to take up iron more easily.You could repot but I would water with sequestrene or chelated iron. Once a season is usually enough.5 x 15g Sachets Sequestered Iron...
    Its probably chlorosis, lack of iron. It needs acidic soil which would allow it to take up iron more easily.You could repot but I would water with sequestrene or chelated iron. Once a season is...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice