1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Gardening

Discussion relating to growing within the confines of a Container

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Craig1987

Begonia hanging baskets

I have just placed my order with Jersey Direct. I ordered 70 Begonia Sparkle - trailing and 70 Begonia Amber Delight for a total of £25.98. I'm going to clear large areas of my borders and...
    I have just placed my order with Jersey Direct. I ordered 70 Begonia Sparkle - trailing and 70 Begonia Amber Delight for a total of £25.98. I'm going to clear large areas of my borders and plant the 'delights' to bring in some nice colour. I think i put in too many different plants within...
    I have just placed my order with Jersey Direct. I ordered 70 Begonia Sparkle - trailing and 70 Begonia Amber Delight for a total of £25.98. I'm going to clear large areas of my borders and plant the 'delights' to bring in some nice colour. I...
    I have just placed my order with Jersey Direct. I ordered 70 Begonia Sparkle - trailing and 70 Begonia Amber Delight for a total of £25.98. I'm going to clear large areas of my borders and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. LowiePete
    Like x 15

Various "Containers" Outside My Kitchen

My garlic was small as well this year. It does well making garlic bread and cooking with.
    My garlic was small as well this year. It does well making garlic bread and cooking with.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Hetty

What would you recommend?

It does fine in decent sized pots if you keep it watered and fed, but in small pots it struggles. If you plant it out by that way, its easy enough to prevent it from overrunning your other...
    It does fine in decent sized pots if you keep it watered and fed, but in small pots it struggles. If you plant it out by that way, its easy enough to prevent it from overrunning your other plants. Nasturtium seems to have two growth phases. In phase 1 it stays relatively compact. Then in phase...
    It does fine in decent sized pots if you keep it watered and fed, but in small pots it struggles. If you plant it out by that way, its easy enough to prevent it from overrunning your other plants. Nasturtium seems to have two growth phases. In...
    It does fine in decent sized pots if you keep it watered and fed, but in small pots it struggles. If you plant it out by that way, its easy enough to prevent it from overrunning your other...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. lollipop

Courgettes in containers question

I concur with growing courgettes in containers. They do need lots of frequent watering but they crop heavily and the fruits don't rot from lying on wet soil. The drawback is, like most container...
    I concur with growing courgettes in containers. They do need lots of frequent watering but they crop heavily and the fruits don't rot from lying on wet soil. The drawback is, like most container grown plants, they can dry out very quickly and die if not looked after assiduously.
    I concur with growing courgettes in containers. They do need lots of frequent watering but they crop heavily and the fruits don't rot from lying on wet soil. The drawback is, like most container grown plants, they can dry out very quickly and...
    I concur with growing courgettes in containers. They do need lots of frequent watering but they crop heavily and the fruits don't rot from lying on wet soil. The drawback is, like most container...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. steven118

rusty metal container - how to use it for plants?

thanks all for being patient! yes i will learn. i will, i will, i will. cheers
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. pinklady

container strawberry's

I've kept mine outside since I had them as the cold hardening off actually helps the plant apparently.I know what you mean about those three tier polythene greenhouses though - they are right...
    I've kept mine outside since I had them as the cold hardening off actually helps the plant apparently.I know what you mean about those three tier polythene greenhouses though - they are right sweat boxes.Keep a battery thermometer in mine which records high and low temps and already this...
    I've kept mine outside since I had them as the cold hardening off actually helps the plant apparently.I know what you mean about those three tier polythene greenhouses though - they are right sweat boxes.Keep a battery thermometer in mine...
    I've kept mine outside since I had them as the cold hardening off actually helps the plant apparently.I know what you mean about those three tier polythene greenhouses though - they are right...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Cordy
    Like x 11

Made these planters

Very creative and great useful items Cordy and Esoxlucius. Well done both. :star::star:
    Very creative and great useful items Cordy and Esoxlucius. Well done both. :star::star:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Black Orchid

Tree lillies unknown pests

Deffo sounds like nematodes(microsopic worms) Possibly Aphelen choids Not all nematodes are bad btw Although i really hope im wrong as that would be it for your plants. This link might help i...
    Deffo sounds like nematodes(microsopic worms) Possibly Aphelen choids Not all nematodes are bad btw Although i really hope im wrong as that would be it for your plants. This link might help i found it after completing this post.Lily (Lilium spp.)-Nematode, FoliarAlthough it might be a plant...
    Deffo sounds like nematodes(microsopic worms) Possibly Aphelen choids Not all nematodes are bad btw Although i really hope im wrong as that would be it for your plants. This link might help i found it after completing this post.Lily (Lilium...
    Deffo sounds like nematodes(microsopic worms) Possibly Aphelen choids Not all nematodes are bad btw Although i really hope im wrong as that would be it for your plants. This link might help i...
    IMG_20210516_181659.jpg IMG_20210516_181650.jpg IMG_20210516_181646.jpg IMG_20210516_181634.jpg IMG_20210516_181630.jpg IMG_20210516_181624.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Nikolaos

Potting Eryngium

The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not...
    The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not just colour but shape and form too using contrasting or complementary plantings. On paper, I make...
    The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not just colour but shape and form too using...
    The planning stage for me is an exciting part of garden design Nick.....:) Yes, preparing the whole bed and aiming then for suitable plants that will thrive in those conditions is the way to go Not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Nikolaos

Would this choisya be fine in this container?

Yes, best to stick to your friend number 3 :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JackJJW

Growing big trees but keeping them small in containers

Thanks Eddie - I tend to use pine needles begged from friends who have christmas trees :blue thumb:
    Thanks Eddie - I tend to use pine needles begged from friends who have christmas trees :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. harry123

What's wrong with my house plant...

This is definitely Kentia palm - Howea forsteriana :) Val
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. arty

Growing container potatoes

Some good advice there Thank You I'm thinking of putting some pots in containers this year I hope to follow your lead...Frank
    Some good advice there Thank You I'm thinking of putting some pots in containers this year I hope to follow your lead...Frank
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Blueroses

Strawberry growing in container/new plants

they might do but strawbs are hardy and they might just make it so i would leave them to it for now. if the frost does kill them off then is the time to remove them loopy
    they might do but strawbs are hardy and they might just make it so i would leave them to it for now. if the frost does kill them off then is the time to remove them loopy
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. mossym

Moving Camellia from container to bed

sorry to butt in I also have a camelia in a pot and am planning to move it in the ground, mine is a 6foot monster will it hurt it to cut it down a bit and tidy it up first as not sure we can shift...
    sorry to butt in I also have a camelia in a pot and am planning to move it in the ground, mine is a 6foot monster will it hurt it to cut it down a bit and tidy it up first as not sure we can shift it as it is
    sorry to butt in I also have a camelia in a pot and am planning to move it in the ground, mine is a 6foot monster will it hurt it to cut it down a bit and tidy it up first as not sure we can shift it as it is
    sorry to butt in I also have a camelia in a pot and am planning to move it in the ground, mine is a 6foot monster will it hurt it to cut it down a bit and tidy it up first as not sure we can shift...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. LooseLotty

loos rolls as root trainer containers

I've used these for the first time this year, and am converted from now on.Ive used them for: Runner beans, french beans, broad beans, courgettes, sweet peas, pumpkin , and as of yesterday...
    I've used these for the first time this year, and am converted from now on.Ive used them for: Runner beans, french beans, broad beans, courgettes, sweet peas, pumpkin , and as of yesterday carrot too.The roots seem to really form well. Cant see me buying pots any more !
    I've used these for the first time this year, and am converted from now on.Ive used them for: Runner beans, french beans, broad beans, courgettes, sweet peas, pumpkin , and as of yesterday carrot too.The roots seem to really form well. Cant...
    I've used these for the first time this year, and am converted from now on.Ive used them for: Runner beans, french beans, broad beans, courgettes, sweet peas, pumpkin , and as of yesterday...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Debs64

The dreaded vine weevil

I try not to use any chemicals of any sort in my garden and nematodes appeal because they are a “natural” product which don’t hurt other living things. Or so I believe, I am not an expert. Will...
    I try not to use any chemicals of any sort in my garden and nematodes appeal because they are a “natural” product which don’t hurt other living things. Or so I believe, I am not an expert. Will order some nematodes next week (payday) and hope to succeed.
    I try not to use any chemicals of any sort in my garden and nematodes appeal because they are a “natural” product which don’t hurt other living things. Or so I believe, I am not an expert. Will order some nematodes next week (payday) and hope to...
    I try not to use any chemicals of any sort in my garden and nematodes appeal because they are a “natural” product which don’t hurt other living things. Or so I believe, I am not an expert. Will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. David Kearley

Anyone use drip-feed/micro irrigation?

When working out a schedule, is it best to look at the previous days max temperature instead of the current days forecasted temperature???
    When working out a schedule, is it best to look at the previous days max temperature instead of the current days forecasted temperature???
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Potty gardener

Need help with starting my potty garden!

Thank you- yes I do have some trailer troughs- I'm lucky that I have flat walls at a good height. I am now thinking of creating a tier of pots,with the big one at the bottom. I'm also considering...
    Thank you- yes I do have some trailer troughs- I'm lucky that I have flat walls at a good height. I am now thinking of creating a tier of pots,with the big one at the bottom. I'm also considering a bay (laurel) for year round interest. It is so frustrating that now I'm ready to do stuff it is...
    Thank you- yes I do have some trailer troughs- I'm lucky that I have flat walls at a good height. I am now thinking of creating a tier of pots,with the big one at the bottom. I'm also considering a bay (laurel) for year round interest. It is so...
    Thank you- yes I do have some trailer troughs- I'm lucky that I have flat walls at a good height. I am now thinking of creating a tier of pots,with the big one at the bottom. I'm also considering...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Plowii

Problems with my Bay Tree

"...it still hasn't dried out on the surface, although from certain angles the surface of the soil in the pot appears green, so *something* must be growing!..."If the soil in the pot looks...
    "...it still hasn't dried out on the surface, although from certain angles the surface of the soil in the pot appears green, so *something* must be growing!..."If the soil in the pot looks green, you're massively overwatering your poor Bay and causing algae to grow and thrive. Plus, the water...
    "...it still hasn't dried out on the surface, although from certain angles the surface of the soil in the pot appears green, so *something* must be growing!..."If the soil in the pot looks green, you're massively overwatering your poor Bay and...
    "...it still hasn't dried out on the surface, although from certain angles the surface of the soil in the pot appears green, so *something* must be growing!..."If the soil in the pot looks...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice