Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Chillies 2024

Cheers both. Beginners luck no doubt.Will leave well alone then!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2024

I didn't know that colorado beetle are around in Europe.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. burnie
    Like x 4

Onion Growing 2024

Worth planting, they'll probably flower (I like onion flowers) and then you'll get loads of seeds for next year and a couple of years to come.
    Worth planting, they'll probably flower (I like onion flowers) and then you'll get loads of seeds for next year and a couple of years to come.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Potato Growing 2024

Gosh it sounds I'm making no effort at all! I yanked out the old brassicas and threw in the chitted spuds. I'll try harder next time, promise
    Gosh it sounds I'm making no effort at all! I yanked out the old brassicas and threw in the chitted spuds. I'll try harder next time, promise
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK

Tomato Growing 2024

Very cold here today. I'd been able to put my little toms out in the greenhouse during the day for the past few days, bringing them in at night, but today they are staying snuggled up above a...
    Very cold here today. I'd been able to put my little toms out in the greenhouse during the day for the past few days, bringing them in at night, but today they are staying snuggled up above a radiator on the kitchen windowsill!!
    Very cold here today. I'd been able to put my little toms out in the greenhouse during the day for the past few days, bringing them in at night, but today they are staying snuggled up above a radiator on the kitchen windowsill!!
    Very cold here today. I'd been able to put my little toms out in the greenhouse during the day for the past few days, bringing them in at night, but today they are staying snuggled up above a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Fred Clarke

Tomato Seed Swaps

@Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New Conversation". Conversations are private and equivalent to PMs...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    upload_2024-3-26_8-59-25.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. burnie
    Like x 4

Seed sorting for 2024

I have a pkt of each of these seed.........Pink pampas grassWhite Pampas grassChamomile bode goldGerman Chamomile matricaria recutitsaFree to a good home............Pm if intrested
    I have a pkt of each of these seed.........Pink pampas grassWhite Pampas grassChamomile bode goldGerman Chamomile matricaria recutitsaFree to a good home............Pm if intrested
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK

Tomato Taste Test 2023

In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Will definitely try Honey Moon next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    ... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

Thank you Wee Tam, that is very kind of you to say that.Steve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15.   » Normal Threads
  16. THFC

Advice re container raspberries

Thank you MisterQ, this is great. Very helpful indeed. Lets see if I am able to put this into practice!
    Thank you MisterQ, this is great. Very helpful indeed. Lets see if I am able to put this into practice!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. hi2u_uk

any tips for this cranberry plant

If you can provide it with an acidic bog it'll romp away. If not, I wouldn't bother :)
    If you can provide it with an acidic bog it'll romp away. If not, I wouldn't bother :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. colinb

Hybrid fruit tree

Found this earlier today: Interstems, stem-builders and double-working Similar reasoning applies to grafting in ornamentals.
    Found this earlier today: Interstems, stem-builders and double-working Similar reasoning applies to grafting in ornamentals.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Bear1

Potato drills

Depends on which potatoes, for main crop the spacings @waterbut suggests are good, for earlies I would decrease, around 18" between rows and 8" between seed tubers.
    Depends on which potatoes, for main crop the spacings @waterbut suggests are good, for earlies I would decrease, around 18" between rows and 8" between seed tubers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Victoria

Citrus paradisi, Ruby Red Grapefruit

Ooh, lovely! I love grapefruit, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't grow them here (nowhere to overwinter under cover and too cold to leave them out).
    Ooh, lovely! I love grapefruit, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't grow them here (nowhere to overwinter under cover and too cold to leave them out).
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. KEVIN247

Seaweed as a vegetable plot top dressing

I'm a big fan of seaweed products. I don't live near the sea so I buy seaweed meal that I liberally spread on the borders in Spring mixed in with some blood, fish and bone. The smell of the...
    I'm a big fan of seaweed products. I don't live near the sea so I buy seaweed meal that I liberally spread on the borders in Spring mixed in with some blood, fish and bone. The smell of the seaweed meal is lovely
    I'm a big fan of seaweed products. I don't live near the sea so I buy seaweed meal that I liberally spread on the borders in Spring mixed in with some blood, fish and bone. The smell of the seaweed meal is lovely
    I'm a big fan of seaweed products. I don't live near the sea so I buy seaweed meal that I liberally spread on the borders in Spring mixed in with some blood, fish and bone. The smell of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Karen S

Grapevine

We bought two from Aldi some years back. One died but this one is doing well. @On the Levels, you have quite a production line going there!
    We bought two from Aldi some years back. One died but this one is doing well. @On the Levels, you have quite a production line going there!
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Greybelle

Bird Thieves

@Greybelle We have had similar issues over the years. We have tried hanging old CDs so that the swing and reflect the light, hung old white sheets torn into strips etc etc. Birds totally ignored...
    @Greybelle We have had similar issues over the years. We have tried hanging old CDs so that the swing and reflect the light, hung old white sheets torn into strips etc etc. Birds totally ignored them. We then made a model of a sparrowhawk that was hanging at the end of a flexible tube that moved...
    @Greybelle We have had similar issues over the years. We have tried hanging old CDs so that the swing and reflect the light, hung old white sheets torn into strips etc etc. Birds totally ignored them. We then made a model of a sparrowhawk that...
    @Greybelle We have had similar issues over the years. We have tried hanging old CDs so that the swing and reflect the light, hung old white sheets torn into strips etc etc. Birds totally ignored...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Stooey89

Dwarf Apple Tree problem

Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch...
    Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch collar and tidy up the cut, you should be fine. Tree Pruning, How to Prune Tree Branches Correctly...
    Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch collar and tidy up the cut, you should be fine....
    Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. MoodyBlooms

Raspberry abuse

Might be worth a try, nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Greecko

Shipping to Northern Ireland

There is a sticky thread hereUK seed suppliers (delivering to NI)
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. wargarden2017

1918 war garden plan from chicago tribune.

here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. ChilliPepper

What's happening to my Chilies?

Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild)....
    Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild). I've no artificial lighting.It could well be that they got cold. My greenhouse is kept at a...
    Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild). I've no artificial lighting.It could well be...
    Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild)....
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. hi2u_uk

prunus avium Sylvia DWARF cherry tree

thanks but just to be clear are you suggesting it can be permanently kept in a 45-50cm pot. I want to buy a dwarf tree
    thanks but just to be clear are you suggesting it can be permanently kept in a 45-50cm pot. I want to buy a dwarf tree
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Greecko

Pea varities

Back in the 80s we had a local pea farmer, ( famous for cutting down trees and ripping up hedgerows), and you could go to his farm to buy loose podded peas, idea for freezing it said.They turned...
    Back in the 80s we had a local pea farmer, ( famous for cutting down trees and ripping up hedgerows), and you could go to his farm to buy loose podded peas, idea for freezing it said.They turned out to be those hard as bullet type peas that were probably more suitable for canning or mushy...
    Back in the 80s we had a local pea farmer, ( famous for cutting down trees and ripping up hedgerows), and you could go to his farm to buy loose podded peas, idea for freezing it said.They turned out to be those hard as bullet type peas that...
    Back in the 80s we had a local pea farmer, ( famous for cutting down trees and ripping up hedgerows), and you could go to his farm to buy loose podded peas, idea for freezing it said.They turned...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. dogsbody

Broad Beans

Thanks for that Pete,that's more than I'd hoped for.
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Snorky85

Sweet Peppers

My sweet peppers have started to germinate after a week. Took out a couple of pots with seed leaves from the propagator and replaced with a sowing of 2 x Mini Bell Chocolate sweet peppers.
    My sweet peppers have started to germinate after a week. Took out a couple of pots with seed leaves from the propagator and replaced with a sowing of 2 x Mini Bell Chocolate sweet peppers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Bear1

Finally buying apple trees

Should be Ok, they are pretty tough plants and hardy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. Bear1

Apple tree true from seed

We have a wild apple tree growing nearby which has lovely looking fruit but absolutely tasteless! I guess it grew from a core someone threw out.
    We have a wild apple tree growing nearby which has lovely looking fruit but absolutely tasteless! I guess it grew from a core someone threw out.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. Bear1

Which apple trees would you get

Hi sorry not sure but afreind of mine has the Liberty apple tree she said.its a sweet, juicy, and crisp apple and . is very resistant to scab, cedar apple rust, mildew, and fireblight
    Hi sorry not sure but afreind of mine has the Liberty apple tree she said.its a sweet, juicy, and crisp apple and . is very resistant to scab, cedar apple rust, mildew, and fireblight
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice