Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Tomato taste test 2021

Thanks John.
    Thanks John.
    Thanks John.
    Thanks John.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Potato growing 2021

That’s me just starting to lift my Setanta. 3 plants up and looking not bad. I have to admit they have thrived on neglect. I never watered them once despite it being so dry here but I did earth up...
    That’s me just starting to lift my Setanta. 3 plants up and looking not bad. I have to admit they have thrived on neglect. I never watered them once despite it being so dry here but I did earth up with a shed load of grass clippings so that will have helped. Huge potatoes as in the past, only...
    That’s me just starting to lift my Setanta. 3 plants up and looking not bad. I have to admit they have thrived on neglect. I never watered them once despite it being so dry here but I did earth up with a shed load of grass clippings so that will...
    That’s me just starting to lift my Setanta. 3 plants up and looking not bad. I have to admit they have thrived on neglect. I never watered them once despite it being so dry here but I did earth up...
    F7B9EC1F-2385-4BB4-84D2-A72EBF603ABD.png E4D56BD6-5660-422F-BEB3-16C0F2C9F941.jpeg IMG_20210222_153841428.jpg IMG_20210222_152251590.jpg IMG_20210222_152239555.jpg 3345CC7A-A528-44DA-8E97-17BD67DA6F8E.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2021

Good luck!
    Good luck!
    Good luck!
    Good luck!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK
    Like x 4

Chillies 2021

Hi Selleri,My Basket of Fire is also full of fruit. To be honest it has been for a long time now (see photos I've just taken). I also have a Medussa chili that has produced pods but no heat in...
    Hi Selleri,My Basket of Fire is also full of fruit. To be honest it has been for a long time now (see photos I've just taken). I also have a Medussa chili that has produced pods but no heat in them. Finally the Black Pearl has ripening fruit (Black turning to red when ripe). I have decided...
    Hi Selleri,My Basket of Fire is also full of fruit. To be honest it has been for a long time now (see photos I've just taken). I also have a Medussa chili that has produced pods but no heat in them. Finally the Black Pearl has ripening fruit...
    Hi Selleri,My Basket of Fire is also full of fruit. To be honest it has been for a long time now (see photos I've just taken). I also have a Medussa chili that has produced pods but no heat in...
    upload_2021-1-4_22-19-46.jpeg P1500470.JPG D0EB1E64-EDA8-406C-B60E-6BD4672343DC.jpeg 57311059-522D-40DE-B083-67063881006F.jpeg 6ED939D5-E279-4108-8B15-3BE2E13AC5C6.jpeg IMG_20210129_101426072_HDR.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK

Giant Onions 2021

Nice to see other people have Oxalis problems as well.:roflol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. JWK
    Like x 3

Tomato Growing Thread 2021

I've known tomatoes to go like that, they end up just a bag of seeds and juice, the juice is usually very acidic.So I think Johns suggestion of fermentation taking place inside the fruit sounds...
    I've known tomatoes to go like that, they end up just a bag of seeds and juice, the juice is usually very acidic.So I think Johns suggestion of fermentation taking place inside the fruit sounds quite feasible.
    I've known tomatoes to go like that, they end up just a bag of seeds and juice, the juice is usually very acidic.So I think Johns suggestion of fermentation taking place inside the fruit sounds quite feasible.
    I've known tomatoes to go like that, they end up just a bag of seeds and juice, the juice is usually very acidic.So I think Johns suggestion of fermentation taking place inside the fruit sounds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

The sticks
    The sticks
    The sticks
    The sticks
    IMG_20210522_200131946.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12.   » Normal Threads
  13. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

I've sprayed my outdoor Red Alerts three times with Bordeaux Mixture and there's hardly a trace (if any) of BM on them, despite having hardly any rain since starting to spray them.Today's pick...
    I've sprayed my outdoor Red Alerts three times with Bordeaux Mixture and there's hardly a trace (if any) of BM on them, despite having hardly any rain since starting to spray them.Today's pick of Red Alerts (not many left to ripen on the plants now and still no blight). Red Alert often get...
    I've sprayed my outdoor Red Alerts three times with Bordeaux Mixture and there's hardly a trace (if any) of BM on them, despite having hardly any rain since starting to spray them.Today's pick of Red Alerts (not many left to ripen on the plants...
    I've sprayed my outdoor Red Alerts three times with Bordeaux Mixture and there's hardly a trace (if any) of BM on them, despite having hardly any rain since starting to spray them.Today's pick...
    IMG_20210924_102940777_HDR.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Paul waterhouse

Raspberry suckers

I've done that successfully and much earlier in the year, so should even better now, I did about half a dozen to a 10L ex Morrisons flower bucket (with holes drilled in base) and placed somewhere...
    I've done that successfully and much earlier in the year, so should even better now, I did about half a dozen to a 10L ex Morrisons flower bucket (with holes drilled in base) and placed somewhere shady, but the latter probably not so important now it's cooler.
    I've done that successfully and much earlier in the year, so should even better now, I did about half a dozen to a 10L ex Morrisons flower bucket (with holes drilled in base) and placed somewhere shady, but the latter probably not so important...
    I've done that successfully and much earlier in the year, so should even better now, I did about half a dozen to a 10L ex Morrisons flower bucket (with holes drilled in base) and placed somewhere...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Smufter

Newbie to veggie growing.............

Ok, i did wonder with the toms.. I still think 3 runner bean plants will totally dominate that bed. My personal choice would be to fill it with japenese onions now, and look to lift them in June...
    Ok, i did wonder with the toms.. I still think 3 runner bean plants will totally dominate that bed. My personal choice would be to fill it with japenese onions now, and look to lift them in June which will then allow your nicely reared runner beans to have all the space. I don't believe that...
    Ok, i did wonder with the toms.. I still think 3 runner bean plants will totally dominate that bed. My personal choice would be to fill it with japenese onions now, and look to lift them in June which will then allow your nicely reared runner...
    Ok, i did wonder with the toms.. I still think 3 runner bean plants will totally dominate that bed. My personal choice would be to fill it with japenese onions now, and look to lift them in June...
    raised bed.jpg growbag container.jpg DSC_0015.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ricky101

Butter Beans

We always have several tins of butter beans in the cupboard. They are relatively cheap so i haven't tried growing them. They are a good addition to stews and curries etc.
    We always have several tins of butter beans in the cupboard. They are relatively cheap so i haven't tried growing them. They are a good addition to stews and curries etc.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gizmo

Strawberry and runner beans

Thanks for the advice but I am not a gardener but first time for everything
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Sean c g

Blue Hubbard squash

The flower can shrivel as early as the afternoon of the day it opens. Sometimes a slug will eat it that evening. It's job has been done. The only way to tell is wait and see if it grows, but it...
    The flower can shrivel as early as the afternoon of the day it opens. Sometimes a slug will eat it that evening. It's job has been done. The only way to tell is wait and see if it grows, but it will increase in size for a while even if it hasn't been pollinated. The skin losing it's glossy...
    The flower can shrivel as early as the afternoon of the day it opens. Sometimes a slug will eat it that evening. It's job has been done. The only way to tell is wait and see if it grows, but it will increase in size for a while even if it hasn't...
    The flower can shrivel as early as the afternoon of the day it opens. Sometimes a slug will eat it that evening. It's job has been done. The only way to tell is wait and see if it grows, but it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Matthew Rosen-Marsh

Is this tomatoe blight and tips to prevent it happening again

@Matthew Rosen-MarshLook out for the Tomato Taste thread, coming soon. Members compare their varieties for taste, yield and earliness.This is last years, they do go back a few years...
    @Matthew Rosen-MarshLook out for the Tomato Taste thread, coming soon. Members compare their varieties for taste, yield and earliness.This is last years, they do go back a few years too: Tomato taste test 2020
    @Matthew Rosen-MarshLook out for the Tomato Taste thread, coming soon. Members compare their varieties for taste, yield and earliness.This is last years, they do go back a few years too: Tomato taste test 2020
    @Matthew Rosen-MarshLook out for the Tomato Taste thread, coming soon. Members compare their varieties for taste, yield and earliness.This is last years, they do go back a few years...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. jowwy

Cauliflowers

Has that dear lady got a bit of a cauliflower ear?
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. jazzy

Runner Beans awful this year?

Nice looking beans. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. D2DT1

Help with rhubarb

I'm still picking and selling it. As long as they have plenty of water they keep going here. The rhubarb patch is close to the beans so gets watered regularly - when the sprinkler is on.
    I'm still picking and selling it. As long as they have plenty of water they keep going here. The rhubarb patch is close to the beans so gets watered regularly - when the sprinkler is on.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Victoria
    Informative x 4

Human Hair

It does work but only for a short time until the human smell has gone.Another stupid 'Elf and Safety' law put a stop to that. You can sell long hair specifically cut for the purpose of making...
    It does work but only for a short time until the human smell has gone.Another stupid 'Elf and Safety' law put a stop to that. You can sell long hair specifically cut for the purpose of making wigs but can't sell the sweepings on the floor.In the old days :old: allotment holders used to collect...
    It does work but only for a short time until the human smell has gone.Another stupid 'Elf and Safety' law put a stop to that. You can sell long hair specifically cut for the purpose of making wigs but can't sell the sweepings on the...
    It does work but only for a short time until the human smell has gone.Another stupid 'Elf and Safety' law put a stop to that. You can sell long hair specifically cut for the purpose of making...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. PHSVM

Butter Nut Squash query

@ScrungeeGenerally, there will be little to no damage after a strong gale. One or two torn leaves was the worst my plants have ever suffered.Just make sure that the string is not garrote wire...
    @ScrungeeGenerally, there will be little to no damage after a strong gale. One or two torn leaves was the worst my plants have ever suffered.Just make sure that the string is not garrote wire thin and to twine it around the vine with a bit of slack in the string.
    @ScrungeeGenerally, there will be little to no damage after a strong gale. One or two torn leaves was the worst my plants have ever suffered.Just make sure that the string is not garrote wire thin and to twine it around the vine with a bit of...
    @ScrungeeGenerally, there will be little to no damage after a strong gale. One or two torn leaves was the worst my plants have ever suffered.Just make sure that the string is not garrote wire...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Shaneoak

Grape vine issues

This is my "Vanessa" after heavily pruning it for the third time this year alone (planted mid 2020). Please ignore the rubble, we are currently rebuilding the attic. And this is my "Venus",...
    This is my "Vanessa" after heavily pruning it for the third time this year alone (planted mid 2020). Please ignore the rubble, we are currently rebuilding the attic. And this is my "Venus", also after being pruned recently. The vines were growing up to the second roof.
    This is my "Vanessa" after heavily pruning it for the third time this year alone (planted mid 2020). Please ignore the rubble, we are currently rebuilding the attic. And this is my "Venus", also after being pruned recently. The vines were...
    This is my "Vanessa" after heavily pruning it for the third time this year alone (planted mid 2020). Please ignore the rubble, we are currently rebuilding the attic. And this is my "Venus",...
    DE1A3388-F189-425B-AF47-684BFE9EEE7B.jpeg 39A7F641-4E8C-404F-983A-8E23436CBD8A.jpeg C7307A1B-83D9-412B-BD31-39C256D8721D.jpeg 020FB319-A396-4979-8AF1-2EF6CA97FC4B.jpeg IMG-20210812-WA0005.jpg IMG-20210812-WA0004.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Paul waterhouse

Stolen blueberries

I put down a few mouse traps around my fruit patch. I got 2 every day for a week and then nothing......I don't believe I've wiped the little suckers out though. Maybe they went off the peanut...
    I put down a few mouse traps around my fruit patch. I got 2 every day for a week and then nothing......I don't believe I've wiped the little suckers out though. Maybe they went off the peanut butterOn a positive note my cane grown raspberries came good. They are delicious.
    I put down a few mouse traps around my fruit patch. I got 2 every day for a week and then nothing......I don't believe I've wiped the little suckers out though. Maybe they went off the peanut butterOn a positive note my cane grown raspberries...
    I put down a few mouse traps around my fruit patch. I got 2 every day for a week and then nothing......I don't believe I've wiped the little suckers out though. Maybe they went off the peanut...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. ChilliPepper

What's munching my crops?

I don't recognise that as rhubarb, anyway it is badly nibbled. Rhubarb tends to attract slugs a bit later in the season when it dies down for the winter.
    I don't recognise that as rhubarb, anyway it is badly nibbled. Rhubarb tends to attract slugs a bit later in the season when it dies down for the winter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. dogsbody

Onion drying

I usually dont dig my onions up while they still have much green on them. I always think if the tops are still green then the bulbs are still growing.
    I usually dont dig my onions up while they still have much green on them. I always think if the tops are still green then the bulbs are still growing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Vicym

Frass panic

Aways best to have some form of eye wash in the cabinet ready to use.Plenty of eye drop type bottles in the supermarkets like Optrex but for a heavier eye wash something like one of these...
    Aways best to have some form of eye wash in the cabinet ready to use.Plenty of eye drop type bottles in the supermarkets like Optrex but for a heavier eye wash something like one of these bottles using a sterile saline solution and an eye bath for minor problems, about £2.Might sound OTT,...
    Aways best to have some form of eye wash in the cabinet ready to use.Plenty of eye drop type bottles in the supermarkets like Optrex but for a heavier eye wash something like one of these bottles using a sterile saline solution and an eye...
    Aways best to have some form of eye wash in the cabinet ready to use.Plenty of eye drop type bottles in the supermarkets like Optrex but for a heavier eye wash something like one of these...
    000748.jpg 000749.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. pete
    Informative x 3

Grape "Lakemont", Muscat bleu and Flame.

Well. I hope it works for you @Perki , that was a big move to make. I'm really not sure if it is a pest problem or a weather related problem. But whatever it is, up till now it hasn't affected the...
    Well. I hope it works for you @Perki , that was a big move to make. I'm really not sure if it is a pest problem or a weather related problem. But whatever it is, up till now it hasn't affected the other two vines.I have had some grapes off of the Lakemont and they were ok.
    Well. I hope it works for you @Perki , that was a big move to make. I'm really not sure if it is a pest problem or a weather related problem. But whatever it is, up till now it hasn't affected the other two vines.I have had some grapes off of...
    Well. I hope it works for you @Perki , that was a big move to make. I'm really not sure if it is a pest problem or a weather related problem. But whatever it is, up till now it hasn't affected the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Jowo

Cutting back squash plants

I'm growing kuri squashes up a bamboo frame. They didn't set a spectacular number of fruit but not too bad. They looked happy until my wife well-meaningly hacked them back based on her experience...
    I'm growing kuri squashes up a bamboo frame. They didn't set a spectacular number of fruit but not too bad. They looked happy until my wife well-meaningly hacked them back based on her experience of growing in south-east Asia, which is a bit different to north-east England. Now they look like...
    I'm growing kuri squashes up a bamboo frame. They didn't set a spectacular number of fruit but not too bad. They looked happy until my wife well-meaningly hacked them back based on her experience of growing in south-east Asia, which is a bit...
    I'm growing kuri squashes up a bamboo frame. They didn't set a spectacular number of fruit but not too bad. They looked happy until my wife well-meaningly hacked them back based on her experience...
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. BillyBumbleBeard

Yellow spots on Mini-Munch/Socrates Cucumbers?

I am not sure that's M-Virus :scratch: . Is it just one leaf or multiple leaves ? Other than the white dots the leaves look healthy , it looks more like a burn marking to me . Have you got anymore pictures...
    I am not sure that's M-Virus :scratch: . Is it just one leaf or multiple leaves ? Other than the white dots the leaves look healthy , it looks more like a burn marking to me . Have you got anymore pictures of the whole plant or plants
    I am not sure that's M-Virus :scratch: . Is it just one leaf or multiple leaves ? Other than the white dots the leaves look healthy , it looks more like a burn marking to me . Have you got anymore pictures of the whole plant or plants
    I am not sure that's M-Virus :scratch: . Is it just one leaf or multiple leaves ? Other than the white dots the leaves look healthy , it looks more like a burn marking to me . Have you got anymore pictures...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice