1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

Vegetable Growing 2024

That’s a smashing veg bed:carrot:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK

Potato Growing 2024

I planted out some Charlotte yesterday, they were part of last year’s crop. They were very big, large baking spud size, as they were the last ones I lifted. They had begun to chit in storage but...
    I planted out some Charlotte yesterday, they were part of last year’s crop. They were very big, large baking spud size, as they were the last ones I lifted. They had begun to chit in storage but were still in good condition so I thought I would give it a go. It will be interesting to see how...
    I planted out some Charlotte yesterday, they were part of last year’s crop. They were very big, large baking spud size, as they were the last ones I lifted. They had begun to chit in storage but were still in good condition so I thought I would...
    I planted out some Charlotte yesterday, they were part of last year’s crop. They were very big, large baking spud size, as they were the last ones I lifted. They had begun to chit in storage but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK

Chillies 2024

Hi Oswald.Thank you for the response. This is what I was hoping. The top leaves were fairly close - but not as close as the other plants. This leaf is also one of the lower ones. Hopefully it...
    Hi Oswald.Thank you for the response. This is what I was hoping. The top leaves were fairly close - but not as close as the other plants. This leaf is also one of the lower ones. Hopefully it will be ok. Will be away from direct sun for the next few days.
    Hi Oswald.Thank you for the response. This is what I was hoping. The top leaves were fairly close - but not as close as the other plants. This leaf is also one of the lower ones. Hopefully it will be ok. Will be away from direct sun for the...
    Hi Oswald.Thank you for the response. This is what I was hoping. The top leaves were fairly close - but not as close as the other plants. This leaf is also one of the lower ones. Hopefully it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JWK

Tomato Growing 2024

Mine are coming outside during the day to get natural sunshine. On the left the pampered ones under growlamps on cloudy days - on the right my spares kept in an unheated greenhouse mostly just...
    Mine are coming outside during the day to get natural sunshine. On the left the pampered ones under growlamps on cloudy days - on the right my spares kept in an unheated greenhouse mostly just brought into our living room on very cold nights:Side by side Sungolds, the pampered one on the...
    Mine are coming outside during the day to get natural sunshine. On the left the pampered ones under growlamps on cloudy days - on the right my spares kept in an unheated greenhouse mostly just brought into our living room on very cold nights: ...
    Mine are coming outside during the day to get natural sunshine. On the left the pampered ones under growlamps on cloudy days - on the right my spares kept in an unheated greenhouse mostly just...
    IMG_20240101_115347288_HDR-01.jpeg PXL_20240102_090758852.jpg Screenshot 2024-01-02 141338.png upload_2024-1-3_9-5-0.png PXL_20240106_053459565~2.jpg 20240107_003708.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. burnie
    Like x 4

Onion Growing 2024

Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Planted out the onion seedlings this morning. Poor germination but nearly a row.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. burnie
    Like x 4

Seed sorting for 2024

I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what day. Didn't start till last week and so far have...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds and have recorded on it what I have sown on what...
    I do keep my seeds sorted by category in Tupperwares in a fridge so they stay fresh, in theory.it's been so wet, so long this winter that I did actually make a wee Excel file of my veggie seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fred Clarke

Tomato Seed Swaps

@Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New Conversation". Conversations are private and equivalent to PMs...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen - ensure it has got the title "Start a New...
    @Goldenlily26 this reply is visible to everyone so don't put your address in this thread, please use the button "Quote in Conversation" to create a private message, you will get this screen -...
    upload_2024-3-26_8-59-25.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK

Tomato Taste Test 2023

In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    In the Greenhouse....Alicante....10 Roma....10 Beefmasters 20:biggrin:After an iffy start this years toms have been fabulous and still going strong ,sweet and flavorsome:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK

Blight Resistant Tomatoes

Will definitely try Honey Moon next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Steve R
    Like x 16

Sowing seeds too early.

Thank you Wee Tam, that is very kind of you to say that.Steve...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    ... and here's the guy with his previous Pumpkin ... Portugal’s largest pumpkin “Isidora” is Algarve-grown - Portugal ResidentPaderne is about 20 minutes from me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Yes, it is worth the effort and I had a lot of fun doing it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15.   » Normal Threads
  16. dowtish

Seedlings safe to move to unheated greenhouse?

Yeah well dont leave them too long but those pots look big enough to me until planting out time. Too much potting on early could delay the first flower truss and cause lots of leafy growth.
    Yeah well dont leave them too long but those pots look big enough to me until planting out time. Too much potting on early could delay the first flower truss and cause lots of leafy growth.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Stephen Southwest

Wild rocket germination tips?

Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger...
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger problem here than further south though. Hope another, later sowing will take. I used to leave a...
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger problem here than further south though. Hope...
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. thriftybri

young tomato seedlings eaten

Mine are only just at that stage - first proper leaves, or very slightly more, but I wouldn't consider having them in the gr'house for ages yet - far too vulnerable, and not consistently warm...
    Mine are only just at that stage - first proper leaves, or very slightly more, but I wouldn't consider having them in the gr'house for ages yet - far too vulnerable, and not consistently warm enough for them. Perhaps it would be better to sow later They need plenty of light early on, so the...
    Mine are only just at that stage - first proper leaves, or very slightly more, but I wouldn't consider having them in the gr'house for ages yet - far too vulnerable, and not consistently warm enough for them. Perhaps it would be better to sow...
    Mine are only just at that stage - first proper leaves, or very slightly more, but I wouldn't consider having them in the gr'house for ages yet - far too vulnerable, and not consistently warm...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Baalmaiden

whether to pinch out tall peas

I only ever direct sowed and put sticks in for them to climb up, bit old fashioned I guess. I dont think they are a valuable enough crop to mess around with too much TBH.
    I only ever direct sowed and put sticks in for them to climb up, bit old fashioned I guess. I dont think they are a valuable enough crop to mess around with too much TBH.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Dovefromabove
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. hi2u_uk

How safe is a treated planter box

An eco friendly pond liner might be an option, I just did a search, they exist!
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. ricky101

Raspberry - Virus ?

Not a weedkiller etc as we rarely use any and never on or near our veg/fruit beds. The Rasps are well into the garden so no chance just they could be affected by drift from another garden.
    Not a weedkiller etc as we rarely use any and never on or near our veg/fruit beds. The Rasps are well into the garden so no chance just they could be affected by drift from another garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Sargan

Planting Garlic - Spring

I prefer autumn planting as well, but did once get a decent amount by spring planting.
    I prefer autumn planting as well, but did once get a decent amount by spring planting.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. misterQ
    Like x 3

The Bucket Growing Competition 2024

Here are the previous winning entries in case you were wondering:All perfectly achievable by the ordinary person (well, maybe not the huge potato yield).
    Here are the previous winning entries in case you were wondering:All perfectly achievable by the ordinary person (well, maybe not the huge potato yield).
    bucket_competition_01.jpg bucket_competition_02.jpg bucket_competition_03.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Februarysgirl

Chicken Manure Pellets & Veg

@BobTG Thanks :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. RoisinMcGuire

Elderberry Cultivars?

Agree cut the grass or put mulch around itIt will eventually outcompete the grass though
    Agree cut the grass or put mulch around itIt will eventually outcompete the grass though
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. hi2u_uk

any tips for this cranberry plant

If you can provide it with an acidic bog it'll romp away. If not, I wouldn't bother :)
    If you can provide it with an acidic bog it'll romp away. If not, I wouldn't bother :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Bear1

Potato drills

Depends on which potatoes, for main crop the spacings @waterbut suggests are good, for earlies I would decrease, around 18" between rows and 8" between seed tubers.
    Depends on which potatoes, for main crop the spacings @waterbut suggests are good, for earlies I would decrease, around 18" between rows and 8" between seed tubers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. colinb

Hybrid fruit tree

Found this earlier today: Interstems, stem-builders and double-working Similar reasoning applies to grafting in ornamentals.
    Found this earlier today: Interstems, stem-builders and double-working Similar reasoning applies to grafting in ornamentals.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. MoodyBlooms

Raspberry abuse

Will do!Had a look today and there is actually a small shoot on one of the container ones - placed in the cheapo 'greenhouse'.Still nothing on the 3 outside Autumn ones planted directly in the...
    Will do!Had a look today and there is actually a small shoot on one of the container ones - placed in the cheapo 'greenhouse'.Still nothing on the 3 outside Autumn ones planted directly in the soil.
    Will do!Had a look today and there is actually a small shoot on one of the container ones - placed in the cheapo 'greenhouse'.Still nothing on the 3 outside Autumn ones planted directly in the soil.
    Will do!Had a look today and there is actually a small shoot on one of the container ones - placed in the cheapo 'greenhouse'.Still nothing on the 3 outside Autumn ones planted directly in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. THFC

Advice re container raspberries

Thank you MisterQ, this is great. Very helpful indeed. Lets see if I am able to put this into practice!
    Thank you MisterQ, this is great. Very helpful indeed. Lets see if I am able to put this into practice!
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. Stooey89

Dwarf Apple Tree problem

Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch...
    Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch collar and tidy up the cut, you should be fine. Tree Pruning, How to Prune Tree Branches Correctly...
    Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch collar and tidy up the cut, you should be fine....
    Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Greecko

Shipping to Northern Ireland

There is a sticky thread hereUK seed suppliers (delivering to NI)
    Replies:
    Views:
  34. wargarden2017

1918 war garden plan from chicago tribune.

here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    here is plate 20 of progressive steps in my graphical recreation of a 1918 war garden plan from Chicago tribune column "the successful home garden" by J F h heide.
    Replies:
    Views:
  35. ChilliPepper

What's happening to my Chilies?

Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild)....
    Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild). I've no artificial lighting.It could well be that they got cold. My greenhouse is kept at a...
    Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild). I've no artificial lighting.It could well be...
    Thanks for your replies.I have a 2Kw fan heater and line the greenhouse internally with bubble-wrap from October to about the end of the second week in April (I'm in eastern Devon so it's mild)....
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice