I had no idea he could play the trumpet!I’ll get me coat :sad: >>>>>>
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK
    Like x 7

The Tomato Growing Thread 2019

I think that is too cold for tomatoes, I keep my greenhouse at 5C and even that is too cold. Their leaves go purple and it can take them weeks to recover from the shock.
    I think that is too cold for tomatoes, I keep my greenhouse at 5C and even that is too cold. Their leaves go purple and it can take them weeks to recover from the shock.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Loki
    Like x 4

Chillies 2019

Good info there @HarryS :dbgrtmb:I use 2 litre pots for the Shiney Hybrids and 3 litre pots for the Nagas. :)
    Good info there @HarryS :dbgrtmb:I use 2 litre pots for the Shiney Hybrids and 3 litre pots for the Nagas. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Steve R
    Like x 4

Vegetable Growing 2019

24 days in and the cucumber has outgrown the propagator lid. Currently debating whether to keep it in there, as it is heated, but with the lid off - or to keep it indoors for the time being.
    24 days in and the cucumber has outgrown the propagator lid. Currently debating whether to keep it in there, as it is heated, but with the lid off - or to keep it indoors for the time being.
    IMG_20190107_220747_hdr.jpg spudshoots.jpg garden004.jpg garden005.jpg garden.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Phil A
    Like x 3

Giant Onions 2019

Yup..real sickener...and I thought Onions could walk!Egyptian Walking Onion
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Steve R
    Like x 13

Sowing seeds too early.

Very useful information Steve :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

5 days on from grafting and they are getting a bit of light and air now. Reducing the humidity from 98% down to 80%. One graft looks to have failed:
    5 days on from grafting and they are getting a bit of light and air now. Reducing the humidity from 98% down to 80%. One graft looks to have failed:
    IMG_6201.JPG IMG_5955.JPG IMG_6203.JPG IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6428 Tomato grafted onto Aubergine roots.JPG IMG_5956.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10.   » Normal Threads
  11. MaLiorzh

Gotu kola - Asiatic pennywort - Centella asiatica

Whoops! I read that first as got a koala.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. MaLiorzh

Ramps - allium tricoccum

Anybody grow ramps i.e Allium tricoccum? I've got the European ramsons or wild garlic - Allium ursinum - in a shady spot in the garden and it does very well - self-seeds quite prolifically - but...
    Anybody grow ramps i.e Allium tricoccum? I've got the European ramsons or wild garlic - Allium ursinum - in a shady spot in the garden and it does very well - self-seeds quite prolifically - but I've tried to grow the North American A. tricoccum from seed twice now with no joy. I planted them...
    Anybody grow ramps i.e Allium tricoccum? I've got the European ramsons or wild garlic - Allium ursinum - in a shady spot in the garden and it does very well - self-seeds quite prolifically - but I've tried to grow the North American A. tricoccum...
    Anybody grow ramps i.e Allium tricoccum? I've got the European ramsons or wild garlic - Allium ursinum - in a shady spot in the garden and it does very well - self-seeds quite prolifically - but...
    s-l1000.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Selleri

Agretti- has anyone grown or eaten it?

Thanks @Aldo :)I'll give it a try if the seeds germinate (apparently they are difficult). If the crops taste horrible, well, soap making sounds an interesting skill to learn :biggrin:We have a similar...
    Thanks @Aldo :)I'll give it a try if the seeds germinate (apparently they are difficult). If the crops taste horrible, well, soap making sounds an interesting skill to learn :biggrin:We have a similar salty native plant in Nordics where I'm from, we used to eat the leaves when we were kids. We called...
    Thanks @Aldo :)I'll give it a try if the seeds germinate (apparently they are difficult). If the crops taste horrible, well, soap making sounds an interesting skill to learn :biggrin:We have a similar salty native plant in Nordics where I'm from, we...
    Thanks @Aldo :)I'll give it a try if the seeds germinate (apparently they are difficult). If the crops taste horrible, well, soap making sounds an interesting skill to learn :biggrin:We have a similar...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Mike77

Overwintered Beetroot

I will roast several with dinner see how they are. If they're any good I may pickle the rest.
    I will roast several with dinner see how they are. If they're any good I may pickle the rest.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. lowrider69

Asparagus Advice Please

The crowns get bigger and bigger with time, lr69. That's why you leave them for the first couple of years. If you've planted as per recommended spacings, there's nothing to be gained by cramming...
    The crowns get bigger and bigger with time, lr69. That's why you leave them for the first couple of years. If you've planted as per recommended spacings, there's nothing to be gained by cramming more plants in. I sympathise.. it does seem a long wait for the first plateful, but it's worth it....
    The crowns get bigger and bigger with time, lr69. That's why you leave them for the first couple of years. If you've planted as per recommended spacings, there's nothing to be gained by cramming more plants in. I sympathise.. it does seem a long...
    The crowns get bigger and bigger with time, lr69. That's why you leave them for the first couple of years. If you've planted as per recommended spacings, there's nothing to be gained by cramming...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Vince
    Like x 4

All set for this season......

Received my veggie seed order this week (Carol's flower seed order too [she was looking over my shoulder!] when making my purchase), got my seed potatoes today, Charlotte & Cara along with 15...
    Received my veggie seed order this week (Carol's flower seed order too [she was looking over my shoulder!] when making my purchase), got my seed potatoes today, Charlotte & Cara along with 15 potato grow bags, looks like silly growing season is just around the corner? Lights, Heat and Compost!!!!!
    Received my veggie seed order this week (Carol's flower seed order too [she was looking over my shoulder!] when making my purchase), got my seed potatoes today, Charlotte & Cara along with 15 potato grow bags, looks like silly growing season is...
    Received my veggie seed order this week (Carol's flower seed order too [she was looking over my shoulder!] when making my purchase), got my seed potatoes today, Charlotte & Cara along with 15...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Spruce

Kiwi "Jenny"

We had fruit from ours but not worth the effort! Tiny.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Steve R

Fruit tree rootstocks

I've seen how a Devon apple grower does that, cutting off above ground level and mounding soil around the new shoots so they send out roots into it.
    I've seen how a Devon apple grower does that, cutting off above ground level and mounding soil around the new shoots so they send out roots into it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. 2nd_bassoon

Vertical strawberries?

When I bought these, there were two options. I went for the larger of the two. I’ve just measured the inside diameter of the ‘pot’ part, which is 8”. As for the amount of compost it holds, I seem...
    When I bought these, there were two options. I went for the larger of the two. I’ve just measured the inside diameter of the ‘pot’ part, which is 8”. As for the amount of compost it holds, I seem to remember I used up a bag (60 litres?)and a half for both planters, maybe a bit less.
    When I bought these, there were two options. I went for the larger of the two. I’ve just measured the inside diameter of the ‘pot’ part, which is 8”. As for the amount of compost it holds, I seem to remember I used up a bag (60 litres?)and a half...
    When I bought these, there were two options. I went for the larger of the two. I’ve just measured the inside diameter of the ‘pot’ part, which is 8”. As for the amount of compost it holds, I seem...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Mike Allen

Adventures in the kitchen.

Thread locked pending admin review.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Freddy

Okra

That's kind of you. :)You almost certainly know more than I do. Mrs Shiney is the one that knows a lot more.That rickshaw driver was bemoaning the fact that he had five (panj) daughters and no...
    That's kind of you. :)You almost certainly know more than I do. Mrs Shiney is the one that knows a lot more.That rickshaw driver was bemoaning the fact that he had five (panj) daughters and no sons. All in Hindi, which Mrs Shiney was translating for me as he was speaking.
    That's kind of you. :)You almost certainly know more than I do. Mrs Shiney is the one that knows a lot more.That rickshaw driver was bemoaning the fact that he had five (panj) daughters and no sons. All in Hindi, which Mrs Shiney was...
    That's kind of you. :)You almost certainly know more than I do. Mrs Shiney is the one that knows a lot more.That rickshaw driver was bemoaning the fact that he had five (panj) daughters and no...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Glenfish

Strawberry Advice

Hi,They say strawbs need a period of cold, so I would leave them outside for a couple of weeks while this current cold spell is on, and then repot and bring any you want into the...
    Hi,They say strawbs need a period of cold, so I would leave them outside for a couple of weeks while this current cold spell is on, and then repot and bring any you want into the greenhouse.Leave some outside so you have a succession of fruits.Those in the greenhouse will need hand...
    Hi,They say strawbs need a period of cold, so I would leave them outside for a couple of weeks while this current cold spell is on, and then repot and bring any you want into the greenhouse.Leave some outside so you have a succession of...
    Hi,They say strawbs need a period of cold, so I would leave them outside for a couple of weeks while this current cold spell is on, and then repot and bring any you want into the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Steve R
    Like x 8

It's a good day when..

You are a lady with style and pizzazz ... my sort of gardening! :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. ricky101

Parsnips

@Mike Allen the first post explains why there is parsnip talk. Not sure what you mean about fuss? I guess its just the usual discussion on a gardening forum :heehee: you know, people sharing their own...
    @Mike Allen the first post explains why there is parsnip talk. Not sure what you mean about fuss? I guess its just the usual discussion on a gardening forum :heehee: you know, people sharing their own parsnip experiences and techniques etc :loll:Glad you have had success with your parsnips. :) I’ve got heavy...
    @Mike Allen the first post explains why there is parsnip talk. Not sure what you mean about fuss? I guess its just the usual discussion on a gardening forum :heehee: you know, people sharing their own parsnip experiences and techniques etc :loll:Glad you...
    @Mike Allen the first post explains why there is parsnip talk. Not sure what you mean about fuss? I guess its just the usual discussion on a gardening forum :heehee: you know, people sharing their own...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Vince

Don't tell Carol

Oh dear, was ordering my veggie seed BUT Carol looked over my shoulder, now a lot poorer with HER flower seed order!:gaah:
    Oh dear, was ordering my veggie seed BUT Carol looked over my shoulder, now a lot poorer with HER flower seed order!:gaah:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. ricky101

Blueberry - Rootstock or Alien ?

Yeah, well I spose the goat willow leaf is most like a blueberry leaf, which could have caused a bit of confusion ..... mind you I am very very easily confused anyway.
    Yeah, well I spose the goat willow leaf is most like a blueberry leaf, which could have caused a bit of confusion ..... mind you I am very very easily confused anyway.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Warwick lad

Onions? which way??

Unless you’re looking at growing large onions, I see no reason why you couldn’t sow them after your move. Pretty sure I’ve sown at the beginning of March in the past, and produced decent sized onions.
    Unless you’re looking at growing large onions, I see no reason why you couldn’t sow them after your move. Pretty sure I’ve sown at the beginning of March in the past, and produced decent sized onions.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. ricky101

Blueberry containers

Thank you ricky we will have to call in occasionally we call to Tankersley its not much further up the road, i used to fish at Worsbrough dam had some nice roach out of there.
    Thank you ricky we will have to call in occasionally we call to Tankersley its not much further up the road, i used to fish at Worsbrough dam had some nice roach out of there.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Steve R

No Dig

I'll be photographing and recording as I go through this season Freddy.Steve...:)
    I'll be photographing and recording as I go through this season Freddy.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. lowrider69

why are my leeks so small??

Much the same as MF.However some gardeners, novice or experienced have different procedures to planting. Whatever method or under whatever conditions the seed is sown really has little...
    Much the same as MF.However some gardeners, novice or experienced have different procedures to planting. Whatever method or under whatever conditions the seed is sown really has little influence.Come planting out time. Well dug over area, light treading down of the soil to firm. Then...
    Much the same as MF.However some gardeners, novice or experienced have different procedures to planting. Whatever method or under whatever conditions the seed is sown really has little influence.Come planting out time. Well dug over area,...
    Much the same as MF.However some gardeners, novice or experienced have different procedures to planting. Whatever method or under whatever conditions the seed is sown really has little...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice