Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2020

I guess sometimes it is too tempting not to.. My supercrammed tomatoes look happy enough, but the one I trained over an arch all by itself is clearly the happiest, with red fruits and the most...
    I guess sometimes it is too tempting not to.. My supercrammed tomatoes look happy enough, but the one I trained over an arch all by itself is clearly the happiest, with red fruits and the most (and the largest) trusses. Considering I have given it 4 stems, it is quite impressive compared to the...
    I guess sometimes it is too tempting not to.. My supercrammed tomatoes look happy enough, but the one I trained over an arch all by itself is clearly the happiest, with red fruits and the most (and the largest) trusses. Considering I have given...
    I guess sometimes it is too tempting not to.. My supercrammed tomatoes look happy enough, but the one I trained over an arch all by itself is clearly the happiest, with red fruits and the most...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

VEGETABLE GROWING 2020

Home grown lettuce, home grown spring onions, home grown charlotte potatoes, homemade bread, ok, I had to buy in the ham and mayonaisse (could have made my own), garlic mayo with smoked paprika,...
    Home grown lettuce, home grown spring onions, home grown charlotte potatoes, homemade bread, ok, I had to buy in the ham and mayonaisse (could have made my own), garlic mayo with smoked paprika, what's not to like, yes, salad tonight with home made tortillas! YUM
    Home grown lettuce, home grown spring onions, home grown charlotte potatoes, homemade bread, ok, I had to buy in the ham and mayonaisse (could have made my own), garlic mayo with smoked paprika, what's not to like, yes, salad tonight with home...
    Home grown lettuce, home grown spring onions, home grown charlotte potatoes, homemade bread, ok, I had to buy in the ham and mayonaisse (could have made my own), garlic mayo with smoked paprika,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII

CHILLIES 2020

That looks good. :blue thumb:The mild ones tend to grow quicker and bigger. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

GARDENERS DELIGHT SEED AND GERMINATION AND GROWING 2020

Sown Gardener's Delight 2005 & 2012 today :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JWK
    Like x 5

Giant Onions 2020

Wow @JWK yours are huge compared to mine but I will use the excuse that someone, a few years ago, told me to plant them out in early April. Even here in Canada. He said, "they are made of...
    Wow @JWK yours are huge compared to mine but I will use the excuse that someone, a few years ago, told me to plant them out in early April. Even here in Canada. He said, "they are made of antifreeze". Stupid me because I did it again this year. :doh: Thank goodness I don't have any advice from that...
    Wow @JWK yours are huge compared to mine but I will use the excuse that someone, a few years ago, told me to plant them out in early April. Even here in Canada. He said, "they are made of antifreeze". Stupid me because I did it again this year. :doh: ...
    Wow @JWK yours are huge compared to mine but I will use the excuse that someone, a few years ago, told me to plant them out in early April. Even here in Canada. He said, "they are made of...
    5DF80F3D-688B-415D-9F17-4736F419A258.jpeg 20200516_172748.jpg 15896563634101353841077.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Steve R
    Like x 14

Sowing seeds too early.

Very useful information Steve :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

Ahem, I will be doing and have done some grafting this year.I have dispensed with the use of healing chambers as I found them to be quite cumbersome and took up too much valuable space.Of...
    Ahem, I will be doing and have done some grafting this year.I have dispensed with the use of healing chambers as I found them to be quite cumbersome and took up too much valuable space.Of course, this meant employing grafting techniques which don't require ultra careful control of heat,...
    Ahem, I will be doing and have done some grafting this year.I have dispensed with the use of healing chambers as I found them to be quite cumbersome and took up too much valuable space.Of course, this meant employing grafting techniques...
    Ahem, I will be doing and have done some grafting this year.I have dispensed with the use of healing chambers as I found them to be quite cumbersome and took up too much valuable space.Of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11.   » Normal Threads
  12. Green Knees

Gooseberry cutting error?

You can grow gooseberries as a cordon, so on a single upright stem. I have seen them up to 8ft taill at RHS Wisley. Makes picking easier, the fruit ripens well and mildew is reduced due to the...
    You can grow gooseberries as a cordon, so on a single upright stem. I have seen them up to 8ft taill at RHS Wisley. Makes picking easier, the fruit ripens well and mildew is reduced due to the good air circulation. Although you get less fruit per plant you can plant closer together and so try...
    You can grow gooseberries as a cordon, so on a single upright stem. I have seen them up to 8ft taill at RHS Wisley. Makes picking easier, the fruit ripens well and mildew is reduced due to the good air circulation. Although you get less fruit...
    You can grow gooseberries as a cordon, so on a single upright stem. I have seen them up to 8ft taill at RHS Wisley. Makes picking easier, the fruit ripens well and mildew is reduced due to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Aldo

Cucumbers not doing well, any advice?

I just remembered that I bought this last year- I'll have to go find it and be ready for this year's threat! I ordered it from Johnny's Seeds .. think I ordered another one too... let me...
    I just remembered that I bought this last year- I'll have to go find it and be ready for this year's threat! I ordered it from Johnny's Seeds .. think I ordered another one too... let me look...yes I did. Here it is !I'll have to test it to see if it's claims are valid.Thanks for the...
    I just remembered that I bought this last year- I'll have to go find it and be ready for this year's threat! I ordered it from Johnny's Seeds .. think I ordered another one too... let me look...yes I did. Here it is !I'll have to test it to...
    I just remembered that I bought this last year- I'll have to go find it and be ready for this year's threat! I ordered it from Johnny's Seeds .. think I ordered another one too... let me...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Amanda Cocksedge

Tomato plant trouble

Or in the hay they’re fed with.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Nikos Koukos

Brussel Sprouts.

I agree with pete, he has good knowledge, club root would have been my guess. As long as your watering regime is bob on
    I agree with pete, he has good knowledge, club root would have been my guess. As long as your watering regime is bob on
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jasmine star

What to do next with tomatoes?

Brilliant @ricky101 :love30: thanks so much. I have put the original post in the tomato growing section as I'm sure I'm going to need lots of help in the future :doh:
    Brilliant @ricky101 :love30: thanks so much. I have put the original post in the tomato growing section as I'm sure I'm going to need lots of help in the future :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. RobB

Old seeds lesson

Hi @RobB not all seeds lose viability that fast (I mentioned in previous posts where we had massive germination of 20 year old fabaceae at botanic garden, even though not well kept). But a lot of...
    Hi @RobB not all seeds lose viability that fast (I mentioned in previous posts where we had massive germination of 20 year old fabaceae at botanic garden, even though not well kept). But a lot of vegetable seeds do seem to lose it - I tried some old carrots this year and nothing came up, but...
    Hi @RobB not all seeds lose viability that fast (I mentioned in previous posts where we had massive germination of 20 year old fabaceae at botanic garden, even though not well kept). But a lot of vegetable seeds do seem to lose it - I tried some...
    Hi @RobB not all seeds lose viability that fast (I mentioned in previous posts where we had massive germination of 20 year old fabaceae at botanic garden, even though not well kept). But a lot of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Arlandria

Help! Big change of plans!

Thanks everyone. I have some strawberries on the way and seeds to take up the rest of the space in the bed. It'll be nice to have crops later in the year and it'll set me up nicely for next year's...
    Thanks everyone. I have some strawberries on the way and seeds to take up the rest of the space in the bed. It'll be nice to have crops later in the year and it'll set me up nicely for next year's growing.
    Thanks everyone. I have some strawberries on the way and seeds to take up the rest of the space in the bed. It'll be nice to have crops later in the year and it'll set me up nicely for next year's growing.
    Thanks everyone. I have some strawberries on the way and seeds to take up the rest of the space in the bed. It'll be nice to have crops later in the year and it'll set me up nicely for next year's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Paul waterhouse

Asparagus second year

That is an excellent question @Paul waterhouse . I've planted seedlings that I started in February. I have a small bed and am filling in around the one side. I didn't even wait a year, just...
    That is an excellent question @Paul waterhouse . I've planted seedlings that I started in February. I have a small bed and am filling in around the one side. I didn't even wait a year, just planted them out in early spring, so I am curious to find out if this was a no no.
    That is an excellent question @Paul waterhouse . I've planted seedlings that I started in February. I have a small bed and am filling in around the one side. I didn't even wait a year, just planted them out in early spring, so I am curious to...
    That is an excellent question @Paul waterhouse . I've planted seedlings that I started in February. I have a small bed and am filling in around the one side. I didn't even wait a year, just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Kerry Howard

raspberries growing pains. help please!

They look to be too crammed, they need thinning to the 4 or 5 strongest and tied in around 6" apart.
    They look to be too crammed, they need thinning to the 4 or 5 strongest and tied in around 6" apart.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Ruth82

Radish ready?

You can let them grow a bit bigger if you water them well, they like water, and more water !Almost looks as if you have spaced them very wide apart ? we usually just sow a drill and they...
    You can let them grow a bit bigger if you water them well, they like water, and more water !Almost looks as if you have spaced them very wide apart ? we usually just sow a drill and they happily come up together, as you take some out to eat the others get more room to grow.
    You can let them grow a bit bigger if you water them well, they like water, and more water !Almost looks as if you have spaced them very wide apart ? we usually just sow a drill and they happily come up together, as you take some out to eat...
    You can let them grow a bit bigger if you water them well, they like water, and more water !Almost looks as if you have spaced them very wide apart ? we usually just sow a drill and they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Septimus00

White on carrots

I've had luck using water with a bit of washing up liquid in it. It didn't get rid of them entirely but there's a lot fewer now.A friend said it can harm bees though, so I'm looking at alternatives.
    I've had luck using water with a bit of washing up liquid in it. It didn't get rid of them entirely but there's a lot fewer now.A friend said it can harm bees though, so I'm looking at alternatives.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Salmon1

Raspberry Advice Wanted

I haven't come across this problem before but it does favour the Spur blight sadly .
    I haven't come across this problem before but it does favour the Spur blight sadly .
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Jerzy Dabrowski

Rosemary cuttings

The sooner the better.
    The sooner the better.
    The sooner the better.
    The sooner the better.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Jerzy Dabrowski

Salad leaves running to seed

I believe it depends on the lettuce variety either. Some packages have the data if the variety is resistant to bolting, or if it can be successfully grown in summer.
    I believe it depends on the lettuce variety either. Some packages have the data if the variety is resistant to bolting, or if it can be successfully grown in summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Steve Elliott

Bent over onions.

Sometimes they grow new vertical leaves after they get knocked down. It's still early so they should do. But I don't think that the fflattened ones will come back up in the way they were before.
    Sometimes they grow new vertical leaves after they get knocked down. It's still early so they should do. But I don't think that the fflattened ones will come back up in the way they were before.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. JWK

Asparagus self sown seedlings, weed out?

yes doing dandy !! :hapydancsmil:
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Arlandria

Blackcurrant Bush

...whoa. @misterQ that's HUGE! I guess I'd better pick a large spot for it then :biggrin:Thanks @Macraignil - they look quite dark so I think they're probably there, or nearly there. Will investigate...
    ...whoa. @misterQ that's HUGE! I guess I'd better pick a large spot for it then :biggrin:Thanks @Macraignil - they look quite dark so I think they're probably there, or nearly there. Will investigate later today.
    ...whoa. @misterQ that's HUGE! I guess I'd better pick a large spot for it then :biggrin:Thanks @Macraignil - they look quite dark so I think they're probably there, or nearly there. Will investigate later today.
    ...whoa. @misterQ that's HUGE! I guess I'd better pick a large spot for it then :biggrin:Thanks @Macraignil - they look quite dark so I think they're probably there, or nearly there. Will investigate...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Darth Weeder

Yellowing leaves on Cucumbers

Damaged or diseased leaves. Remove them. What living portions remain, simply drain the plant of nutrients.
    Damaged or diseased leaves. Remove them. What living portions remain, simply drain the plant of nutrients.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Bumbalore

What is happening to my cucumber plants??

No don't use sodium bicarbonate that is different. Going by those close up it looks like something is eating them.If the top growth looks good then go ahead and cut off the lower ones.
    No don't use sodium bicarbonate that is different. Going by those close up it looks like something is eating them.If the top growth looks good then go ahead and cut off the lower ones.
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Bumbalore

Runner beans leaves going yellow.... Help!

I always dig it in during the Autumn. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice