New thread here.
    New thread here.
    New thread here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney
    Locked Sticky

How To I.D. Your Apples - and some fruits

This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to an Apple Day at our local orchard and got our...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple Identification | Apple Varieties | Apple CultivarsWe went to...
    This is a very good site for identifying your apples if you want to.Basic searches can be done without joining up.More complicated searches may require joining.fruitID | Apple...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. JWK
    Like x 3

Giant Onions 2020

@JWK I usually sow mine on Boxing Day but :doh::doh::doh:discovered that I didn't have any left and obviously I forgot to put "order Kelsae seeds" on my to do list! I ordered them via fax on Saturday and...
    @JWK I usually sow mine on Boxing Day but :doh::doh::doh:discovered that I didn't have any left and obviously I forgot to put "order Kelsae seeds" on my to do list! I ordered them via fax on Saturday and hopefully will have them in a few weeks. I'm still eating the ones from this past summer Yum! Hope yours...
    @JWK I usually sow mine on Boxing Day but :doh::doh::doh:discovered that I didn't have any left and obviously I forgot to put "order Kelsae seeds" on my to do list! I ordered them via fax on Saturday and hopefully will have them in a few weeks. I'm still...
    @JWK I usually sow mine on Boxing Day but :doh::doh::doh:discovered that I didn't have any left and obviously I forgot to put "order Kelsae seeds" on my to do list! I ordered them via fax on Saturday and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. ARMANDII

VEGETABLE GROWING 2020

Gosh!! Must be worth a haggle that one, should be a penny a seed, especially as it is for charity !!Steve...:)
    Gosh!! Must be worth a haggle that one, should be a penny a seed, especially as it is for charity !!Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ARMANDII

TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2020

Has anyone noticed that seed grown one season tastes slightly different to the next season when using the seed from the same packet. Eg: Shirley, second season this tasted better than the first,...
    Has anyone noticed that seed grown one season tastes slightly different to the next season when using the seed from the same packet. Eg: Shirley, second season this tasted better than the first, again using seed from the same packet. Ok it may be I was feeding more one season to the next.
    Has anyone noticed that seed grown one season tastes slightly different to the next season when using the seed from the same packet. Eg: Shirley, second season this tasted better than the first, again using seed from the same packet. Ok it may...
    Has anyone noticed that seed grown one season tastes slightly different to the next season when using the seed from the same packet. Eg: Shirley, second season this tasted better than the first,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ARMANDII

CHILLIES 2020

I hope you like them, @JWK . I was delighted when hubby said that there are some Anaheim that have germinated... (it’s the Lombardo and Serrano that have not yet shown any signs). Apparently the...
    I hope you like them, @JWK . I was delighted when hubby said that there are some Anaheim that have germinated... (it’s the Lombardo and Serrano that have not yet shown any signs). Apparently the labels are too faintly written to photograph....
    I hope you like them, @JWK . I was delighted when hubby said that there are some Anaheim that have germinated... (it’s the Lombardo and Serrano that have not yet shown any signs). Apparently the labels are too faintly written to photograph....
    I hope you like them, @JWK . I was delighted when hubby said that there are some Anaheim that have germinated... (it’s the Lombardo and Serrano that have not yet shown any signs). Apparently the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Steve R
    Like x 14

Sowing seeds too early.

Very useful information Steve :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Steve R
    Informative x 4

Giant Pumpkin Growing Guide

Might be best to post this on the 2016 Pumpkin Growing thread @Snowbaby
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. JWK
    Like x 6

Tomato Grafting

It doesn't feel satisfying unless you've got a glut so here's hoping that you're up to your eyeballs with them both.
    It doesn't feel satisfying unless you've got a glut so here's hoping that you're up to your eyeballs with them both.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11.   » Normal Threads
  12. RobB

Low growing peas

I think they will be perfect @mazambo, thanks a lot. I must've been looking with my eyes shut. :doh:
    I think they will be perfect @mazambo, thanks a lot. I must've been looking with my eyes shut. :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Webmaster

Jerusalem Artichokes - Anyone else growing them this year ?

I used to grow them and they made a very good soup. We don't grow any root veg nowadays :noidea:As they discolour so easily it's best to dip them in acidulated water when preparing them.
    I used to grow them and they made a very good soup. We don't grow any root veg nowadays :noidea:As they discolour so easily it's best to dip them in acidulated water when preparing them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ThePlantAssassin

Victoria Plum help please

No worries tree will be fine though it could possibly be suffering from what I know as coddling moth...If so when cutting a fruit in half you may see what they call frask and a little maggot...
    No worries tree will be fine though it could possibly be suffering from what I know as coddling moth...If so when cutting a fruit in half you may see what they call frask and a little maggot thingy .The way to combat it is to hang a Pheromone trap in the tree early spring to stop the moths...
    No worries tree will be fine though it could possibly be suffering from what I know as coddling moth...If so when cutting a fruit in half you may see what they call frask and a little maggot thingy .The way to combat it is to hang a Pheromone...
    No worries tree will be fine though it could possibly be suffering from what I know as coddling moth...If so when cutting a fruit in half you may see what they call frask and a little maggot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Paul Blackburn

Information on Asparagus

I bought two trays of young Asparagus plants at the beginning of last year.I cut them down in I think October.They are now very high and one has berries on it which was told to avoid.Would it do...
    I bought two trays of young Asparagus plants at the beginning of last year.I cut them down in I think October.They are now very high and one has berries on it which was told to avoid.Would it do any harm to cut them down now so I can tidy the bed up plenty of weeds but cannot get at them because...
    I bought two trays of young Asparagus plants at the beginning of last year.I cut them down in I think October.They are now very high and one has berries on it which was told to avoid.Would it do any harm to cut them down now so I can tidy the bed...
    I bought two trays of young Asparagus plants at the beginning of last year.I cut them down in I think October.They are now very high and one has berries on it which was told to avoid.Would it do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. 2nd_bassoon

Sad lemon

Thanks @pete , from what I've read it looks like either over- or under-watering is likely at fault - not exactly helpful :rolleyespink: The roots looked ok when I repotted it last month and I'm loathe to...
    Thanks @pete , from what I've read it looks like either over- or under-watering is likely at fault - not exactly helpful :rolleyespink: The roots looked ok when I repotted it last month and I'm loathe to disturb it too much by checking again. It's already outside in the sun so I'll try a gentle prune (and...
    Thanks @pete , from what I've read it looks like either over- or under-watering is likely at fault - not exactly helpful :rolleyespink: The roots looked ok when I repotted it last month and I'm loathe to disturb it too much by checking again. It's already...
    Thanks @pete , from what I've read it looks like either over- or under-watering is likely at fault - not exactly helpful :rolleyespink: The roots looked ok when I repotted it last month and I'm loathe to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ricky101

Raspberry Varieties...

Can't help you on the Summer variety's all I can say is they are pruned differently, I didn't fancy growing summer varietys because the increased chance of maggots being in the fruit:eeew:.Maybe you...
    Can't help you on the Summer variety's all I can say is they are pruned differently, I didn't fancy growing summer varietys because the increased chance of maggots being in the fruit:eeew:.Maybe you could double crop your Autumn variety's ? cut half of the stems to the ground and leave the other...
    Can't help you on the Summer variety's all I can say is they are pruned differently, I didn't fancy growing summer varietys because the increased chance of maggots being in the fruit:eeew:.Maybe you could double crop your Autumn variety's ? cut half...
    Can't help you on the Summer variety's all I can say is they are pruned differently, I didn't fancy growing summer varietys because the increased chance of maggots being in the fruit:eeew:.Maybe you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. john558

Potato skins

Try the variety Winston next year @john558 it is the best tasting early spud I have ever grown. It doesn't suffer with the skins coming off nor break up like the more floury types.
    Try the variety Winston next year @john558 it is the best tasting early spud I have ever grown. It doesn't suffer with the skins coming off nor break up like the more floury types.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Vince
    Like x 5

I can almost smell

Do you mean those orangey red ones from Spain?:biggrin: Mostly grown hydroponically under glass so bound to be tasteless.
    Do you mean those orangey red ones from Spain?:biggrin: Mostly grown hydroponically under glass so bound to be tasteless.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Shaun Rimmer

Chile plants, leaf curl, compost too 'hot'?..

Hi again folks!I have a bunch of capsicum plants, mostly superhot Chinensis vars but there's also a pair woody stemmed candelabra style Fillius Blue in there, and a trio of Spanish sweet red...
    Hi again folks!I have a bunch of capsicum plants, mostly superhot Chinensis vars but there's also a pair woody stemmed candelabra style Fillius Blue in there, and a trio of Spanish sweet red peppers (Dulce De Espana) - 15 plants in all, and also a pair of small fruit tomatoes, all in a little...
    Hi again folks!I have a bunch of capsicum plants, mostly superhot Chinensis vars but there's also a pair woody stemmed candelabra style Fillius Blue in there, and a trio of Spanish sweet red peppers (Dulce De Espana) - 15 plants in all, and...
    Hi again folks!I have a bunch of capsicum plants, mostly superhot Chinensis vars but there's also a pair woody stemmed candelabra style Fillius Blue in there, and a trio of Spanish sweet red...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Eden1

Do I need to protect Carrots & Lettuce

Eden1 :)You can cover with fleece :) Cheap and effective:)Next spring you can use nematodes ......for slugs and others for pests in the soil.I sow carrots and immediately cover with fleece. ...
    Eden1 :)You can cover with fleece :) Cheap and effective:)Next spring you can use nematodes ......for slugs and others for pests in the soil.I sow carrots and immediately cover with fleece. Apart from lifting to thin them a couple of times keep carrots covered and this prevents the dreaded...
    Eden1 :)You can cover with fleece :) Cheap and effective:)Next spring you can use nematodes ......for slugs and others for pests in the soil.I sow carrots and immediately cover with fleece. Apart from lifting to thin them a couple of times...
    Eden1 :)You can cover with fleece :) Cheap and effective:)Next spring you can use nematodes ......for slugs and others for pests in the soil.I sow carrots and immediately cover with fleece. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. ThePlantAssassin

Strawberry taste......or not

@cindy Check the recent thread starting with "Any Strawberry Experts...". And yeah, supermarket ones will give you no idea, all pretty much bland things, don't waste your money on them.
    @cindy Check the recent thread starting with "Any Strawberry Experts...". And yeah, supermarket ones will give you no idea, all pretty much bland things, don't waste your money on them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Paul Blackburn

When to stop plants

Whatever you do there is still 3 months good growing, so seems a waste if you just stop them now.Mine are also up to the top of the greenhouse as well and what I usually do is carefully...
    Whatever you do there is still 3 months good growing, so seems a waste if you just stop them now.Mine are also up to the top of the greenhouse as well and what I usually do is carefully bend/train them over and to come back down , like the professional growers do.You can come back down the...
    Whatever you do there is still 3 months good growing, so seems a waste if you just stop them now.Mine are also up to the top of the greenhouse as well and what I usually do is carefully bend/train them over and to come back down , like the...
    Whatever you do there is still 3 months good growing, so seems a waste if you just stop them now.Mine are also up to the top of the greenhouse as well and what I usually do is carefully...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Vince
    Like x 3

Pleasantly Surprised

If it was a grafted plant the new growth might well be Poncirus trifoliata.Its a totally hardy rootstock that a lot of citrus are grafted onto.A picture would help.
    If it was a grafted plant the new growth might well be Poncirus trifoliata.Its a totally hardy rootstock that a lot of citrus are grafted onto.A picture would help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. karaman

Hazelnut - when and how to prune?

hallo,have found similar threads but none tell me how and when to prune a hazelnut? Last year i did not prune at all thinking the nuts will come at the end of new shoots -- very few did. They...
    hallo,have found similar threads but none tell me how and when to prune a hazelnut? Last year i did not prune at all thinking the nuts will come at the end of new shoots -- very few did. They are now getting to be rather large bushes with several leaders. I have not fed them and still they...
    hallo,have found similar threads but none tell me how and when to prune a hazelnut? Last year i did not prune at all thinking the nuts will come at the end of new shoots -- very few did. They are now getting to be rather large bushes with...
    hallo,have found similar threads but none tell me how and when to prune a hazelnut? Last year i did not prune at all thinking the nuts will come at the end of new shoots -- very few did. They...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. RobB

Cauliflowers sizes

@mazambo I didn't come across that one and it looks to be right so I'll get some seeds. Thank you.
    @mazambo I didn't come across that one and it looks to be right so I'll get some seeds. Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Paul Blackburn

Raspberry Query

Autumn fruiting raspberries fruit on the new growth. Prune after they have fruited - mine are now due for pruning. Leave the new shoots - you will get your fruit on these canes next year.
    Autumn fruiting raspberries fruit on the new growth. Prune after they have fruited - mine are now due for pruning. Leave the new shoots - you will get your fruit on these canes next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. jazzy

French Beans - Pruning the Leaves?

Hi Jazzy, I wouldn't take any leaves off your beans as they produce the energy/food the plant needs....you can take off tatty leaves that are going brown on the bottom of Tomato plants.
    Hi Jazzy, I wouldn't take any leaves off your beans as they produce the energy/food the plant needs....you can take off tatty leaves that are going brown on the bottom of Tomato plants.
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. Greg C

Growing herbs amongst pansies

Thanks ricky101. I didn't think about the soil. Back to the drawing board.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. misterQ

Air layering a plum...

Well, greengage, I think.Back in late June 2017, these greengages and cherry plums were so delicious...... that I decided we had to have them growing in our own community garden.The...
    Well, greengage, I think.Back in late June 2017, these greengages and cherry plums were so delicious...... that I decided we had to have them growing in our own community garden.The fruits came from trees that were originally planted on the housing estate for their ornamental value -...
    Well, greengage, I think.Back in late June 2017, these greengages and cherry plums were so delicious...... that I decided we had to have them growing in our own community garden.The fruits came from trees that were originally planted on...
    Well, greengage, I think.Back in late June 2017, these greengages and cherry plums were so delicious...... that I decided we had to have them growing in our own community garden.The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Paul Blackburn

Feeding vegetables in Greenhouse

You can get slow release fertilizer pellets which I think are really aimed at things like flower containers, might be worth trying next year
    You can get slow release fertilizer pellets which I think are really aimed at things like flower containers, might be worth trying next year
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice