1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. plantpotty

Blackcurrent help needed!

Summer was a bit late to be planting and I don't think you did it any favours by giving it a cut so late in the growing season. Blackcurrants are normally very easy to grow. If you take a cutting...
    Summer was a bit late to be planting and I don't think you did it any favours by giving it a cut so late in the growing season. Blackcurrants are normally very easy to grow. If you take a cutting and shove it in the ground there's a very good chance of it rooting. In your case I'd leave it...
    Summer was a bit late to be planting and I don't think you did it any favours by giving it a cut so late in the growing season. Blackcurrants are normally very easy to grow. If you take a cutting and shove it in the ground there's a very good...
    Summer was a bit late to be planting and I don't think you did it any favours by giving it a cut so late in the growing season. Blackcurrants are normally very easy to grow. If you take a cutting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. moonrakermagpie

the not quite last tomato

Yeah, they had a good shock because of cold weather and trying to reproduce again. They are actually perennials, so are peppers.
    Yeah, they had a good shock because of cold weather and trying to reproduce again. They are actually perennials, so are peppers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Quaedor36

Brassicas, Lime, and Fertilisers

Hi QuaedorTraditional advice was to add manure one year and then lime the next year, never both in the same year. I think they counteract each other if applied together and not in a good...
    Hi QuaedorTraditional advice was to add manure one year and then lime the next year, never both in the same year. I think they counteract each other if applied together and not in a good way.So if you're adding stable manure in a few weeks time, I wouldn't recommend adding either...
    Hi QuaedorTraditional advice was to add manure one year and then lime the next year, never both in the same year. I think they counteract each other if applied together and not in a good way.So if you're adding stable manure in a few...
    Hi QuaedorTraditional advice was to add manure one year and then lime the next year, never both in the same year. I think they counteract each other if applied together and not in a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. jonbey

Apricot trees, fruits look black normal?

I've got an apricot tree that fruits very well. The fruits are ready early June (or thereabouts depending on the year). I find the only snag to this very productive fruit is that a full...
    I've got an apricot tree that fruits very well. The fruits are ready early June (or thereabouts depending on the year). I find the only snag to this very productive fruit is that a full trees-worth comes ready all at once, and has to be dealt with there and then or they drop and/or rot. Could it...
    I've got an apricot tree that fruits very well. The fruits are ready early June (or thereabouts depending on the year). I find the only snag to this very productive fruit is that a full trees-worth comes ready all at once, and has to be dealt...
    I've got an apricot tree that fruits very well. The fruits are ready early June (or thereabouts depending on the year). I find the only snag to this very productive fruit is that a full...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Adam Moran

Tomato Blight?

Blight is a fungal disease. It thrives in warm damp weather
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. samuelcat

leek seedlings

It seems very late to me for planting out leeks, my seedlings went out in June which I thought was the correct time. I would get them into the ground as soon as possible rather than the...
    It seems very late to me for planting out leeks, my seedlings went out in June which I thought was the correct time. I would get them into the ground as soon as possible rather than the greenhouse, they are very hardy but have a lot of catching up to do.
    It seems very late to me for planting out leeks, my seedlings went out in June which I thought was the correct time. I would get them into the ground as soon as possible rather than the greenhouse, they are very hardy but have a lot of catching...
    It seems very late to me for planting out leeks, my seedlings went out in June which I thought was the correct time. I would get them into the ground as soon as possible rather than the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. alan.rawlinson

Rhubarb care

Just clean up the messy leaves and stalks, cover the clumps with a bucket or sthg like that, so the plant has room to grow, and in early spring you will have nice and crunchy stalks growing. Ours...
    Just clean up the messy leaves and stalks, cover the clumps with a bucket or sthg like that, so the plant has room to grow, and in early spring you will have nice and crunchy stalks growing. Ours are unstoppable, lifted the buckets up
    Just clean up the messy leaves and stalks, cover the clumps with a bucket or sthg like that, so the plant has room to grow, and in early spring you will have nice and crunchy stalks growing. Ours are unstoppable, lifted the buckets up
    Just clean up the messy leaves and stalks, cover the clumps with a bucket or sthg like that, so the plant has room to grow, and in early spring you will have nice and crunchy stalks growing. Ours...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kristen

Which Melon Variety do you like?

Didn't grow any this year Kristen, but previously have grown Ogen which were small but very,very tasty.
    Didn't grow any this year Kristen, but previously have grown Ogen which were small but very,very tasty.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. nevhig

pruning vines

Hi Nevhig, I've got a two-year old vine myself, so I was looking forward to reading a reply to your question. However, in the meantime, a search on the net produced this answer from the RHS...
    Hi Nevhig, I've got a two-year old vine myself, so I was looking forward to reading a reply to your question. However, in the meantime, a search on the net produced this answer from the RHS link,Here's hoping that it helps you too...
    Hi Nevhig, I've got a two-year old vine myself, so I was looking forward to reading a reply to your question. However, in the meantime, a search on the net produced this answer from the RHS link,Here's hoping that it helps you too...
    Hi Nevhig, I've got a two-year old vine myself, so I was looking forward to reading a reply to your question. However, in the meantime, a search on the net produced this answer from the RHS...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Rhyleysgranny

Potato Harvest

If the compost is bone dry then they can be left in the pots. If there is ANY moisture in the compost get the spuds out before they rot.:gnthb:
    If the compost is bone dry then they can be left in the pots. If there is ANY moisture in the compost get the spuds out before they rot.:gnthb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. rhinecourt

Sour Grapes

Good evening Rhinecourt and welcome to the site. What variety is the grape and where is it growing? Have you thinned the fruit out? :gnthb:
    Good evening Rhinecourt and welcome to the site. What variety is the grape and where is it growing? Have you thinned the fruit out? :gnthb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Freedom_Spark

Tomato blight update :(

I think you were just very unlucky FS, its been a very bad year for blight going by the number of people reporting it on here. I hope your remaining plants do well.
    I think you were just very unlucky FS, its been a very bad year for blight going by the number of people reporting it on here. I hope your remaining plants do well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Liz W

Any squash experts out there?

as long as the the colouration does not rot, gets soft of any sorts, then for ur sqash to go orange is absolutely normal Let it grow till end of this month to have a nice ripe fruit!!
    as long as the the colouration does not rot, gets soft of any sorts, then for ur sqash to go orange is absolutely normal Let it grow till end of this month to have a nice ripe fruit!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Liz W

Pumpkin trouble

My bet would be that they rot or slugs/insects find their way in.If you decide to pick now I should think they will taste OK.There is still time for more to grow and take over, so if you...
    My bet would be that they rot or slugs/insects find their way in.If you decide to pick now I should think they will taste OK.There is still time for more to grow and take over, so if you pick these now others will take over - pumpkins can only support two or three fruit per plant anyway
    My bet would be that they rot or slugs/insects find their way in.If you decide to pick now I should think they will taste OK.There is still time for more to grow and take over, so if you pick these now others will take over - pumpkins can...
    My bet would be that they rot or slugs/insects find their way in.If you decide to pick now I should think they will taste OK.There is still time for more to grow and take over, so if you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. barryk1

Plum stones

If they germinate I'm afraid that the chances of them producing plums as good as the ones they came from is slim at best:( as to get the exact same cultivar you would have to use a form of...
    If they germinate I'm afraid that the chances of them producing plums as good as the ones they came from is slim at best:( as to get the exact same cultivar you would have to use a form of vegetative propagation such as grafting due to cultivars not coming true from seed.Your best bet is to...
    If they germinate I'm afraid that the chances of them producing plums as good as the ones they came from is slim at best:( as to get the exact same cultivar you would have to use a form of vegetative propagation such as grafting due to cultivars...
    If they germinate I'm afraid that the chances of them producing plums as good as the ones they came from is slim at best:( as to get the exact same cultivar you would have to use a form of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. samuelcat

potatoes

If they are a variety of New potato then generally about 11 weeks after you planted them, a couple of weeks earlier if you want to sacrifice crop / tuber size for an early harvest.
    If they are a variety of New potato then generally about 11 weeks after you planted them, a couple of weeks earlier if you want to sacrifice crop / tuber size for an early harvest.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Lovage

Enjoying the fruits of our labours

Sounds delightful, well done you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. AncientGardener

Sowing Braod Beans in July

I presume because it si dwarf it will also be fast maturing, and the packet I've got here does indeed say sow until end July.I sow my Broad beans in the Autumn, and overwinter, for an early crop...
    I presume because it si dwarf it will also be fast maturing, and the packet I've got here does indeed say sow until end July.I sow my Broad beans in the Autumn, and overwinter, for an early crop - that largely avoids Blackfly, which Spring-sown crops suffer from. Dunno if Blackfly will also...
    I presume because it si dwarf it will also be fast maturing, and the packet I've got here does indeed say sow until end July.I sow my Broad beans in the Autumn, and overwinter, for an early crop - that largely avoids Blackfly, which Spring-sown...
    I presume because it si dwarf it will also be fast maturing, and the packet I've got here does indeed say sow until end July.I sow my Broad beans in the Autumn, and overwinter, for an early crop...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. markd

pruning summer fruiting strawberries.

I used to work in an old country house garden whre they set fire to the straw after picking all the fruit. On a dry day the straw would burn quickly taking the old leaves with it and any pests and...
    I used to work in an old country house garden whre they set fire to the straw after picking all the fruit. On a dry day the straw would burn quickly taking the old leaves with it and any pests and mouldy fruit. The plants were never harmed and within a few days new growth would emerge and...
    I used to work in an old country house garden whre they set fire to the straw after picking all the fruit. On a dry day the straw would burn quickly taking the old leaves with it and any pests and mouldy fruit. The plants were never harmed and...
    I used to work in an old country house garden whre they set fire to the straw after picking all the fruit. On a dry day the straw would burn quickly taking the old leaves with it and any pests and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Victoria Plum

Potato questions

I have absolutely no idea about potatoes and when they are ready etc. I do love new potatoes though, and so today dug up some reds, blues and whites and had a wonderful potatoe salad with dinner...
    I have absolutely no idea about potatoes and when they are ready etc. I do love new potatoes though, and so today dug up some reds, blues and whites and had a wonderful potatoe salad with dinner tonight. My blues were very low in production, so will assume now that they are a late and leave...
    I have absolutely no idea about potatoes and when they are ready etc. I do love new potatoes though, and so today dug up some reds, blues and whites and had a wonderful potatoe salad with dinner tonight. My blues were very low in production, so...
    I have absolutely no idea about potatoes and when they are ready etc. I do love new potatoes though, and so today dug up some reds, blues and whites and had a wonderful potatoe salad with dinner...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice