1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Fat Controller
    Like x 3

Fruits - care and harvesting

A strange year for me. Plums 0 Nashi 0 Apples a few Pears0 Blueberries minimal Gooseberies plenty Redcurrants didnt set so 0 Blackcurrants a few (heaving with fruit last year so exhausted ?...
    A strange year for me. Plums 0 Nashi 0 Apples a few Pears0 Blueberries minimal Gooseberies plenty Redcurrants didnt set so 0 Blackcurrants a few (heaving with fruit last year so exhausted ? ) Raspberries are hanging in fruit as there are loads of bumble bees on them but 0 bees.
    A strange year for me. Plums 0 Nashi 0 Apples a few Pears0 Blueberries minimal Gooseberies plenty Redcurrants didnt set so 0 Blackcurrants a few (heaving with fruit last year so exhausted ? ) Raspberries are hanging in fruit as there are loads of...
    A strange year for me. Plums 0 Nashi 0 Apples a few Pears0 Blueberries minimal Gooseberies plenty Redcurrants didnt set so 0 Blackcurrants a few (heaving with fruit last year so exhausted ?...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. markd

So far so good.

Ive grown some asparagus plants from seeds this year in the greenhouse,which is quite shaded and they are doing very well. Ive potted them on twice and they are now in 4" and 5" pots. What do I do...
    Ive grown some asparagus plants from seeds this year in the greenhouse,which is quite shaded and they are doing very well. Ive potted them on twice and they are now in 4" and 5" pots. What do I do now ? can I leave them in the green house untill I plant them out in May? Do I need to pot them on...
    Ive grown some asparagus plants from seeds this year in the greenhouse,which is quite shaded and they are doing very well. Ive potted them on twice and they are now in 4" and 5" pots. What do I do now ? can I leave them in the green house untill...
    Ive grown some asparagus plants from seeds this year in the greenhouse,which is quite shaded and they are doing very well. Ive potted them on twice and they are now in 4" and 5" pots. What do I do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. golfer

Onions

All the tops are over and drying out however the wind may have blown them over like you said it may be worth waiting for some nice weather to dry them out a little. I put onion sets in May and...
    All the tops are over and drying out however the wind may have blown them over like you said it may be worth waiting for some nice weather to dry them out a little. I put onion sets in May and early June they have come nice in pots.
    All the tops are over and drying out however the wind may have blown them over like you said it may be worth waiting for some nice weather to dry them out a little. I put onion sets in May and early June they have come nice in pots.
    All the tops are over and drying out however the wind may have blown them over like you said it may be worth waiting for some nice weather to dry them out a little. I put onion sets in May and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. clum111

Carrot 'Parmex'

I've never grown carrots in containers but if I had no choice then I'd go for a soil based compost like John Innes.
    I've never grown carrots in containers but if I had no choice then I'd go for a soil based compost like John Innes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. GardenGuru

Sweetcorn - advice please

Plant them in square blocks of 4 shake the stems when they are flowering to aid pollination.
    Plant them in square blocks of 4 shake the stems when they are flowering to aid pollination.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. lollipop

Spinach seed question.

That's what I like to hear John, thankyou for answering my question.Hope you and yours are all well.
    That's what I like to hear John, thankyou for answering my question.Hope you and yours are all well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. garden_fiend

purple sprouting

No panic weekend gardener those sprouts that I dug up were sown on the 23rd March LAST YEAR! :DI sowed this winter's sprouts on 4th and 8th of this month and haven't even bought my broccoli...
    No panic weekend gardener those sprouts that I dug up were sown on the 23rd March LAST YEAR! :DI sowed this winter's sprouts on 4th and 8th of this month and haven't even bought my broccoli seeds yet.
    No panic weekend gardener those sprouts that I dug up were sown on the 23rd March LAST YEAR! :DI sowed this winter's sprouts on 4th and 8th of this month and haven't even bought my broccoli seeds yet.
    No panic weekend gardener those sprouts that I dug up were sown on the 23rd March LAST YEAR! :DI sowed this winter's sprouts on 4th and 8th of this month and haven't even bought my broccoli...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Flowerpot

Black Currant flowers

I planted 4 Black Currant plants in a large container last year, they grew very well and have survived through the winter okay, im glad to see the return of new leaves growing but today i noticed...
    I planted 4 Black Currant plants in a large container last year, they grew very well and have survived through the winter okay, im glad to see the return of new leaves growing but today i noticed plenty of flower buds hanging down from all the plants, what i want to know is, is this normal to...
    I planted 4 Black Currant plants in a large container last year, they grew very well and have survived through the winter okay, im glad to see the return of new leaves growing but today i noticed plenty of flower buds hanging down from all the...
    I planted 4 Black Currant plants in a large container last year, they grew very well and have survived through the winter okay, im glad to see the return of new leaves growing but today i noticed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Annemieke

growing dill and caraway

Has anyone grown these successfully? The dill leaves were nice while they lasted, I added them to my sandwiches. But the seeds don't taste very good. I harvested most of them when they were ready...
    Has anyone grown these successfully? The dill leaves were nice while they lasted, I added them to my sandwiches. But the seeds don't taste very good. I harvested most of them when they were ready (black) and dry. Maybe, in the case of caraway, the tiny threads attached to them don't help, though...
    Has anyone grown these successfully? The dill leaves were nice while they lasted, I added them to my sandwiches. But the seeds don't taste very good. I harvested most of them when they were ready (black) and dry. Maybe, in the case of caraway,...
    Has anyone grown these successfully? The dill leaves were nice while they lasted, I added them to my sandwiches. But the seeds don't taste very good. I harvested most of them when they were ready...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Daisies

Broad bean harvest

Well done Daisees! :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. pheobe

FRUIT/VEG CAGE

Only thing I know is that you need to get the netting off before first snowfall of the Winter, otherwise the weight will collapse it. Had that happen to the, very expensive, one that my parents...
    Only thing I know is that you need to get the netting off before first snowfall of the Winter, otherwise the weight will collapse it. Had that happen to the, very expensive, one that my parents erected. I just chuck some Scaffolder's Debris Netting over mine - supporting it on a few posts with...
    Only thing I know is that you need to get the netting off before first snowfall of the Winter, otherwise the weight will collapse it. Had that happen to the, very expensive, one that my parents erected. I just chuck some Scaffolder's Debris...
    Only thing I know is that you need to get the netting off before first snowfall of the Winter, otherwise the weight will collapse it. Had that happen to the, very expensive, one that my parents...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. stony

Last years veg.

Hi Stony Likewise I had trouble working up the enthusiasm to clean out the greenhouse but having completed the job last week the feeling after was great I am now ready for the new years sowing...
    Hi Stony Likewise I had trouble working up the enthusiasm to clean out the greenhouse but having completed the job last week the feeling after was great I am now ready for the new years sowing and planting. I just need to control the urge to get started at the appropriate and correct...
    Hi Stony Likewise I had trouble working up the enthusiasm to clean out the greenhouse but having completed the job last week the feeling after was great I am now ready for the new years sowing and planting. I just need to control the urge to...
    Hi Stony Likewise I had trouble working up the enthusiasm to clean out the greenhouse but having completed the job last week the feeling after was great I am now ready for the new years sowing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. jimbo1951

Strawberrie plants

I have invasive strawberries. Wish they wd make more fruit and less runners.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. captainhastings

Can I fit in some beans

Hiya. I believe K/Wonder grow to around 4ft? In terms of space, I would guess that you have enough room for a row, as you suggest. My only concern would be that there might not be enough light....
    Hiya. I believe K/Wonder grow to around 4ft? In terms of space, I would guess that you have enough room for a row, as you suggest. My only concern would be that there might not be enough light. Having said that, I grew some in a shaded area in the garden last year, and got a good crop. Give it...
    Hiya. I believe K/Wonder grow to around 4ft? In terms of space, I would guess that you have enough room for a row, as you suggest. My only concern would be that there might not be enough light. Having said that, I grew some in a shaded area in...
    Hiya. I believe K/Wonder grow to around 4ft? In terms of space, I would guess that you have enough room for a row, as you suggest. My only concern would be that there might not be enough light....
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Rosiemongrel

Rocket question

It will probably grow back, but not make much leaf before it goes to seed. I find it better to let some go to seed, collect the seed and sow that to get decent new plants. It always carries plenty...
    It will probably grow back, but not make much leaf before it goes to seed. I find it better to let some go to seed, collect the seed and sow that to get decent new plants. It always carries plenty of seed given the chance, and the seed grows easily.
    It will probably grow back, but not make much leaf before it goes to seed. I find it better to let some go to seed, collect the seed and sow that to get decent new plants. It always carries plenty of seed given the chance, and the seed grows easily.
    It will probably grow back, but not make much leaf before it goes to seed. I find it better to let some go to seed, collect the seed and sow that to get decent new plants. It always carries plenty...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. wrinkly1

lime

I don't know a lot about it but I have read:1. Liming the hole as you plant into it provides some useful protection against Club Root 2. First grow the plants on as long as you can in pots. 3....
    I don't know a lot about it but I have read:1. Liming the hole as you plant into it provides some useful protection against Club Root 2. First grow the plants on as long as you can in pots. 3. Grow a Club Resistant varietyVery contagious, and lots of weeds in the Brassica family to cause it...
    I don't know a lot about it but I have read:1. Liming the hole as you plant into it provides some useful protection against Club Root 2. First grow the plants on as long as you can in pots. 3. Grow a Club Resistant varietyVery contagious, and...
    I don't know a lot about it but I have read:1. Liming the hole as you plant into it provides some useful protection against Club Root 2. First grow the plants on as long as you can in pots. 3....
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. RobB

Low growing peas

I think they will be perfect @mazambo, thanks a lot. I must've been looking with my eyes shut. :doh:
    I think they will be perfect @mazambo, thanks a lot. I must've been looking with my eyes shut. :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. clueless1

Currant cuttings

Yep, dead easy.I've done soft-tip cuttings in spring/early summer, semi-ripe in summer/autumn, and hardwood in autumn/winter, and they've all worked.
    Yep, dead easy.I've done soft-tip cuttings in spring/early summer, semi-ripe in summer/autumn, and hardwood in autumn/winter, and they've all worked.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. David Cook

Tracking what you planted

I don't track. At work I track everything, and even have a tracker to track my trackers. :biggrin: In the garden I rely on gut feeling, if a spot looks like it could do with Daffodils then surely I planted...
    I don't track. At work I track everything, and even have a tracker to track my trackers. :biggrin: In the garden I rely on gut feeling, if a spot looks like it could do with Daffodils then surely I planted some in... :scratch: Advancing years give a bonus thrill when plants I definitely did not sow turn up :heehee:For...
    I don't track. At work I track everything, and even have a tracker to track my trackers. :biggrin: In the garden I rely on gut feeling, if a spot looks like it could do with Daffodils then surely I planted some in... :scratch: Advancing years give a bonus thrill...
    I don't track. At work I track everything, and even have a tracker to track my trackers. :biggrin: In the garden I rely on gut feeling, if a spot looks like it could do with Daffodils then surely I planted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jack McHammocklashing
    Like x 3

Ignorance is Embarassingly Bliss :-)

Who wrote that? Was it me? if it was then I need a good kicking:snork: Don't think thats the sort of thing i'd write though, i'm more lob it in and look after it.
    Who wrote that? Was it me? if it was then I need a good kicking:snork: Don't think thats the sort of thing i'd write though, i'm more lob it in and look after it.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice