1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Bob flemming

Me spuds are different colours!

could it have been a mixed bag? Hope they're nice and tasty
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Johnb

Brown tomato leaves

had a quick google and that came up with blight or over watering or wet scorched leaves, someone else here probably knows alot more :)
    had a quick google and that came up with blight or over watering or wet scorched leaves, someone else here probably knows alot more :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. cattwoman25

indoor toms outside ???

I'd never grown toms outside before but last season I tried a few types outside just to see how they would fare. They grew well enough but I had problems getting them to ripen outside. In the end...
    I'd never grown toms outside before but last season I tried a few types outside just to see how they would fare. They grew well enough but I had problems getting them to ripen outside. In the end I got very few useable fruits but there again, last year's weather was terrible for growing. If...
    I'd never grown toms outside before but last season I tried a few types outside just to see how they would fare. They grew well enough but I had problems getting them to ripen outside. In the end I got very few useable fruits but there again,...
    I'd never grown toms outside before but last season I tried a few types outside just to see how they would fare. They grew well enough but I had problems getting them to ripen outside. In the end...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. TAL

Have I just killed my potatoe Crop?

You wont kill them but its not something thats nessesary. Most potatoes get tall and fall over, its normal. Leave them alone, they are maincrop so wont be ready until sept as you probably know.
    You wont kill them but its not something thats nessesary. Most potatoes get tall and fall over, its normal. Leave them alone, they are maincrop so wont be ready until sept as you probably know.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. hammer

toms.

Hi Hammer although I did harden off most of our plants from the greenhouse into the garden I didn't with the toms I just put them outside as like yourself things were getting too crowded in the...
    Hi Hammer although I did harden off most of our plants from the greenhouse into the garden I didn't with the toms I just put them outside as like yourself things were getting too crowded in the greenhouse although it was a couple of weeks ago that I did that and all are doing fine and all ours...
    Hi Hammer although I did harden off most of our plants from the greenhouse into the garden I didn't with the toms I just put them outside as like yourself things were getting too crowded in the greenhouse although it was a couple of weeks ago...
    Hi Hammer although I did harden off most of our plants from the greenhouse into the garden I didn't with the toms I just put them outside as like yourself things were getting too crowded in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Veg-and-flower-man

Storing veg

Heres a bit of advice from the RHS.Many vegetables freeze well, but larger crops may need alternative storage. On well-drained soils root crops such as parsnips and carrots can be left in the...
    Heres a bit of advice from the RHS.Many vegetables freeze well, but larger crops may need alternative storage. On well-drained soils root crops such as parsnips and carrots can be left in the ground over winter. In cold weather protect roots with a layer of straw, bracken or soil 15cm (6in)...
    Heres a bit of advice from the RHS.Many vegetables freeze well, but larger crops may need alternative storage. On well-drained soils root crops such as parsnips and carrots can be left in the ground over winter. In cold weather protect roots...
    Heres a bit of advice from the RHS.Many vegetables freeze well, but larger crops may need alternative storage. On well-drained soils root crops such as parsnips and carrots can be left in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Man Of Leisure MOL

Quince

Man of Leisure - that's the way to be :) No, not too late; go ahead and prune it now. I am assuming you mean the ornamantal Chaenomeles and not the edible quince. They need little regular pruning,...
    Man of Leisure - that's the way to be :) No, not too late; go ahead and prune it now. I am assuming you mean the ornamantal Chaenomeles and not the edible quince. They need little regular pruning, only reducing overall size when mature and getting out of hand. Reducing the length of new growths...
    Man of Leisure - that's the way to be :) No, not too late; go ahead and prune it now. I am assuming you mean the ornamantal Chaenomeles and not the edible quince. They need little regular pruning, only reducing overall size when mature and...
    Man of Leisure - that's the way to be :) No, not too late; go ahead and prune it now. I am assuming you mean the ornamantal Chaenomeles and not the edible quince. They need little regular pruning,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. men8ifr

Tomatoes up a trellis?

Go for it, it could look quite attractive. And it will be easier to tie them in.:thumb:
    Go for it, it could look quite attractive. And it will be easier to tie them in.:thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. martandmichelle

Earthing Up Potatos

Potatoes can grow near to the surface and, if they break through, sunlight will cause them to go green. These are poisonous to eat - they won't kill you but will make you feel ill! The purpose...
    Potatoes can grow near to the surface and, if they break through, sunlight will cause them to go green. These are poisonous to eat - they won't kill you but will make you feel ill! The purpose of "earthing up" is to give the spuds room to form in the dark. Also, they have more room to grow so...
    Potatoes can grow near to the surface and, if they break through, sunlight will cause them to go green. These are poisonous to eat - they won't kill you but will make you feel ill! The purpose of "earthing up" is to give the spuds room to form...
    Potatoes can grow near to the surface and, if they break through, sunlight will cause them to go green. These are poisonous to eat - they won't kill you but will make you feel ill! The purpose...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Bob flemming

Sprout advice,please

BobYou don't normally have to support sprouts where I live in the south although in the past, I've tied some of the late varieties to canes to get them through the last bit of the winter....
    BobYou don't normally have to support sprouts where I live in the south although in the past, I've tied some of the late varieties to canes to get them through the last bit of the winter. Sprouts like to have a firm grip with their roots and I've never tried them in pots. I'm guessing they'd...
    BobYou don't normally have to support sprouts where I live in the south although in the past, I've tied some of the late varieties to canes to get them through the last bit of the winter. Sprouts like to have a firm grip with their roots and...
    BobYou don't normally have to support sprouts where I live in the south although in the past, I've tied some of the late varieties to canes to get them through the last bit of the winter....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Kedi-Gato

Green beans

ive never planted mine indoors to be put out, ive allways planted beans strait outside in the pots, which i done last month, there half way up the canes allready.have to say the kids and i have...
    ive never planted mine indoors to be put out, ive allways planted beans strait outside in the pots, which i done last month, there half way up the canes allready.have to say the kids and i have so much fun with runner beans, got to be the best veg to grow with yungens about :D
    ive never planted mine indoors to be put out, ive allways planted beans strait outside in the pots, which i done last month, there half way up the canes allready.have to say the kids and i have so much fun with runner beans, got to be the best...
    ive never planted mine indoors to be put out, ive allways planted beans strait outside in the pots, which i done last month, there half way up the canes allready.have to say the kids and i have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Man Of Leisure MOL

Raised beds

Good quality fibreous loam is required what ever the task I think.For cuttings in winter 'hardwood' types make a deep V shape and fill with soild and sharpe sand mix for good drainage and...
    Good quality fibreous loam is required what ever the task I think.For cuttings in winter 'hardwood' types make a deep V shape and fill with soild and sharpe sand mix for good drainage and water in. Dont add fertilizer or it'll be too rich for the new roots. Summer soft wood cuttings I...
    Good quality fibreous loam is required what ever the task I think.For cuttings in winter 'hardwood' types make a deep V shape and fill with soild and sharpe sand mix for good drainage and water in. Dont add fertilizer or it'll be too rich...
    Good quality fibreous loam is required what ever the task I think.For cuttings in winter 'hardwood' types make a deep V shape and fill with soild and sharpe sand mix for good drainage and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Liz

Strawberry netting

Liz, if it was a success last year then it will be this time. It wont stop the bumble bees coming into your garden, so don`t worry.:)
    Liz, if it was a success last year then it will be this time. It wont stop the bumble bees coming into your garden, so don`t worry.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. golfer

carrots

I have answered this in the edible section!
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. golfer

carrots

Generally yes as it can tend to make the carrots fork.Having said that I manure my beds and form a 'Vee' trench which I fill with sifted compost and this seems to work OKCarrots;
    Generally yes as it can tend to make the carrots fork.Having said that I manure my beds and form a 'Vee' trench which I fill with sifted compost and this seems to work OKCarrots;
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Bob flemming

Growin leeks,tips required.

What you would normally do, Bob, is dig a hole about 6" deep and drop the leek into it. This will, obviously, blanch the lower part of the leek. Which is what you want. Earthing them up will do...
    What you would normally do, Bob, is dig a hole about 6" deep and drop the leek into it. This will, obviously, blanch the lower part of the leek. Which is what you want. Earthing them up will do the same thing, but you need to be careful not to snap them. I think whoever advised you was confusing...
    What you would normally do, Bob, is dig a hole about 6" deep and drop the leek into it. This will, obviously, blanch the lower part of the leek. Which is what you want. Earthing them up will do the same thing, but you need to be careful not to...
    What you would normally do, Bob, is dig a hole about 6" deep and drop the leek into it. This will, obviously, blanch the lower part of the leek. Which is what you want. Earthing them up will do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. rodofgod76

Tomato advice

Rod, I would be inclined to plant them up now. I don`t see the point in causing the plants stress just as they are trying to produce fruit.:)
    Rod, I would be inclined to plant them up now. I don`t see the point in causing the plants stress just as they are trying to produce fruit.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. cosmos1

Wilting toms

Hi cos. I think we all had problems with toms last year:mad: I think it was just a rubbish year for them. Maybe just carry on as usual with crossed fingers as regards the weather:)
    Hi cos. I think we all had problems with toms last year:mad: I think it was just a rubbish year for them. Maybe just carry on as usual with crossed fingers as regards the weather:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. StarJules

Stanley Plum

Hi Jules. I guess you bought them at Wilko's because I bought a Stanley as well. Still dormant here too. I also bought a cherry, a comice pear, a Cox and Granny S. apple and an apricot which are...
    Hi Jules. I guess you bought them at Wilko's because I bought a Stanley as well. Still dormant here too. I also bought a cherry, a comice pear, a Cox and Granny S. apple and an apricot which are all in bud and/or blossom. Plus a peach that is showing no signs of life. I shan't worry too much...
    Hi Jules. I guess you bought them at Wilko's because I bought a Stanley as well. Still dormant here too. I also bought a cherry, a comice pear, a Cox and Granny S. apple and an apricot which are all in bud and/or blossom. Plus a peach that is...
    Hi Jules. I guess you bought them at Wilko's because I bought a Stanley as well. Still dormant here too. I also bought a cherry, a comice pear, a Cox and Granny S. apple and an apricot which are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Domestos Godess

Fruit Trees

The only problem you may have (particularly with apple) is pollination if you only have one. There are a few self pollinating ones but most require the pollen of a different plant. I have 1 of...
    The only problem you may have (particularly with apple) is pollination if you only have one. There are a few self pollinating ones but most require the pollen of a different plant. I have 1 of everything except apple and I have a Granny Smith and a Cox. (My and Mrs S. favourites). Fortunately...
    The only problem you may have (particularly with apple) is pollination if you only have one. There are a few self pollinating ones but most require the pollen of a different plant. I have 1 of everything except apple and I have a Granny Smith and...
    The only problem you may have (particularly with apple) is pollination if you only have one. There are a few self pollinating ones but most require the pollen of a different plant. I have 1 of...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice