1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Sargan

When to start off Tomato seeds

Tnx .. I'll leave a while then
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. rustyroots

Beans in pots.

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear they did well. I ordered Purple Queen and Yellow Rocquencourt seeds last night. Both dwarf French bean. Rusty
    Thanks for the reply. Good to hear they did well. I ordered Purple Queen and Yellow Rocquencourt seeds last night. Both dwarf French bean. Rusty
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Pushkin

What is meant by a low stem fruit tree?

Thanks Mike. I've bought a Low Stem Walnut tree the label says it's height will be between 125 and 150cm. I'm going to grow it in a 40cm pot at the moment.They also had apple, plum, pear and...
    Thanks Mike. I've bought a Low Stem Walnut tree the label says it's height will be between 125 and 150cm. I'm going to grow it in a 40cm pot at the moment.They also had apple, plum, pear and chestnut trees all low stem.
    Thanks Mike. I've bought a Low Stem Walnut tree the label says it's height will be between 125 and 150cm. I'm going to grow it in a 40cm pot at the moment.They also had apple, plum, pear and chestnut trees all low stem.
    Thanks Mike. I've bought a Low Stem Walnut tree the label says it's height will be between 125 and 150cm. I'm going to grow it in a 40cm pot at the moment.They also had apple, plum, pear and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. FrancescaH

Cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets?

Cheers, wont be doing that again then :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Fredas

Horse compost

Parsnips and carrots (i like a roast parsnip or two) I'm not sure if bags will suffice. If you've got room in the raised bed I'd put them in there without the manure. I'd grow those in a deep...
    Parsnips and carrots (i like a roast parsnip or two) I'm not sure if bags will suffice. If you've got room in the raised bed I'd put them in there without the manure. I'd grow those in a deep loam with a nice dressing of blood fish and bone raked in, maybe a bit of homemade compost if available.
    Parsnips and carrots (i like a roast parsnip or two) I'm not sure if bags will suffice. If you've got room in the raised bed I'd put them in there without the manure. I'd grow those in a deep loam with a nice dressing of blood fish and bone...
    Parsnips and carrots (i like a roast parsnip or two) I'm not sure if bags will suffice. If you've got room in the raised bed I'd put them in there without the manure. I'd grow those in a deep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. JR

First sowings in 2021

Thanks for the advice, I may keep going with them then. Pointed cabbage is one of my favourites to grow. Not only does it look rather impressive it's so tasty. I only grew 4 last year and I reckon...
    Thanks for the advice, I may keep going with them then. Pointed cabbage is one of my favourites to grow. Not only does it look rather impressive it's so tasty. I only grew 4 last year and I reckon I really have space for 8. During the summer we were eating homegrown cabbage once a week. Sautéed...
    Thanks for the advice, I may keep going with them then. Pointed cabbage is one of my favourites to grow. Not only does it look rather impressive it's so tasty. I only grew 4 last year and I reckon I really have space for 8. During the summer we...
    Thanks for the advice, I may keep going with them then. Pointed cabbage is one of my favourites to grow. Not only does it look rather impressive it's so tasty. I only grew 4 last year and I reckon...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Selleri

Globe artichoke seedlings question

I only ever grew these once and if I remember correctly they are pretty unstable plants even when planted out and full grown. Seem to remember them getting blown over very easily. I'd be careful...
    I only ever grew these once and if I remember correctly they are pretty unstable plants even when planted out and full grown. Seem to remember them getting blown over very easily. I'd be careful about burying the stems too deep, maybe some support would be a better idea.
    I only ever grew these once and if I remember correctly they are pretty unstable plants even when planted out and full grown. Seem to remember them getting blown over very easily. I'd be careful about burying the stems too deep, maybe some...
    I only ever grew these once and if I remember correctly they are pretty unstable plants even when planted out and full grown. Seem to remember them getting blown over very easily. I'd be careful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Emily Jones

Rhubarb revival!

If it's a new rhubarb then better just leave it alone for a year and it will double its Harvest in the upcoming one.If it's an old and established obey there is no harm in digging it up, cutting...
    If it's a new rhubarb then better just leave it alone for a year and it will double its Harvest in the upcoming one.If it's an old and established obey there is no harm in digging it up, cutting it in half and replanting it in a new spot (and then letting it grow uninterrupted for two years)
    If it's a new rhubarb then better just leave it alone for a year and it will double its Harvest in the upcoming one.If it's an old and established obey there is no harm in digging it up, cutting it in half and replanting it in a new spot (and...
    If it's a new rhubarb then better just leave it alone for a year and it will double its Harvest in the upcoming one.If it's an old and established obey there is no harm in digging it up, cutting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Sean c g

Rhubarb

Your welcome
    Your welcome
    Your welcome
    Your welcome
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Black Dog
    Like x 3

Crops with the biggest "profit"

This is part of the rhubarb patch, at the beginning of the week, so I may be able to pull some in a week or two's time :)I need to weed it and compost. :blue thumb:
    This is part of the rhubarb patch, at the beginning of the week, so I may be able to pull some in a week or two's time :)I need to weed it and compost. :blue thumb:
    12.jpg P1210243.JPG P1210249.JPG P1210250.JPG P1500939.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. BFOSP

Potatoes in a bin

Everyone has their own way of growing potatoes.I prefer the all-in-one-go approach so no adding compost layer by layer.Here are tidbits that you might find useful for growing main crop...
    Everyone has their own way of growing potatoes.I prefer the all-in-one-go approach so no adding compost layer by layer.Here are tidbits that you might find useful for growing main crop potatoes:- Each eye on a chitted potato is cable of forming one plant; - Each plant produces on...
    Everyone has their own way of growing potatoes.I prefer the all-in-one-go approach so no adding compost layer by layer.Here are tidbits that you might find useful for growing main crop potatoes:- Each eye on a chitted potato is cable...
    Everyone has their own way of growing potatoes.I prefer the all-in-one-go approach so no adding compost layer by layer.Here are tidbits that you might find useful for growing main crop...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Emily Jones

Soft fruit bushes

@Black Dog Really intirgued by the choke berries. I've got a friend who loves to turn whatever he can into jam, and these might be a real winner for that. Plus..those bright orange leaves are so...
    @Black Dog Really intirgued by the choke berries. I've got a friend who loves to turn whatever he can into jam, and these might be a real winner for that. Plus..those bright orange leaves are so attractive. The only problem is that I may have some cross plot neighbours for drawing in the birds :biggrin:...
    @Black Dog Really intirgued by the choke berries. I've got a friend who loves to turn whatever he can into jam, and these might be a real winner for that. Plus..those bright orange leaves are so attractive. The only problem is that I may have...
    @Black Dog Really intirgued by the choke berries. I've got a friend who loves to turn whatever he can into jam, and these might be a real winner for that. Plus..those bright orange leaves are so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Graham B

Guerrilla gardening - fruit bushes/small trees/other

Cool, I'll give that a go. Ironically this is the first house (out of 5) where the garden isn't full of clay! I can try something similar with my loamy soil though.Re the strawberries, I was...
    Cool, I'll give that a go. Ironically this is the first house (out of 5) where the garden isn't full of clay! I can try something similar with my loamy soil though.Re the strawberries, I was planning on wild (alpine) strawberries, so there's not such an issue with larger bits of fruit getting...
    Cool, I'll give that a go. Ironically this is the first house (out of 5) where the garden isn't full of clay! I can try something similar with my loamy soil though.Re the strawberries, I was planning on wild (alpine) strawberries, so there's...
    Cool, I'll give that a go. Ironically this is the first house (out of 5) where the garden isn't full of clay! I can try something similar with my loamy soil though.Re the strawberries, I was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. BathVine

Indoor Grapevine - Best Antifungal/Mildew Care?

Thanks again - I’ve heard of people spraying with diluted milk, so I’ll give that a go rather than a chemical.It’s hard to say whether the spores did any damage; as soon as I spotted them (the...
    Thanks again - I’ve heard of people spraying with diluted milk, so I’ll give that a go rather than a chemical.It’s hard to say whether the spores did any damage; as soon as I spotted them (the house was rented out so they could have been there for months) I just cut every shoot or small limb...
    Thanks again - I’ve heard of people spraying with diluted milk, so I’ll give that a go rather than a chemical.It’s hard to say whether the spores did any damage; as soon as I spotted them (the house was rented out so they could have been there...
    Thanks again - I’ve heard of people spraying with diluted milk, so I’ll give that a go rather than a chemical.It’s hard to say whether the spores did any damage; as soon as I spotted them (the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ChilliPepper

What to do now with my onion and shallot seedling?

A weak feed might help but I think it has more to do with amount of daylight. They pick up quickly from now on.Without lights I don't think sowing earlier would make much difference.
    A weak feed might help but I think it has more to do with amount of daylight. They pick up quickly from now on.Without lights I don't think sowing earlier would make much difference.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Emily Jones

Pomegranate pondering!

You're right, the past few springs have been quite warm and balmy! Not quite the same this year, sunny days followed by pretty chilly nights. Down to -1 some nights this week. Hoping this frosty...
    You're right, the past few springs have been quite warm and balmy! Not quite the same this year, sunny days followed by pretty chilly nights. Down to -1 some nights this week. Hoping this frosty spell will pass soon, but we are still pretty early in the year yet
    You're right, the past few springs have been quite warm and balmy! Not quite the same this year, sunny days followed by pretty chilly nights. Down to -1 some nights this week. Hoping this frosty spell will pass soon, but we are still pretty early...
    You're right, the past few springs have been quite warm and balmy! Not quite the same this year, sunny days followed by pretty chilly nights. Down to -1 some nights this week. Hoping this frosty...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Sargan

Why are my seedlings dying

Just stock up with matches, Tinks It really does work!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. jumanji

New strawberry patch

As for what type, I've had a couple of goes at shoot-outs of all the varieties I could get from garden centres. Each time I've bought 3 plants of each type to compare them.Elsanta have always...
    As for what type, I've had a couple of goes at shoot-outs of all the varieties I could get from garden centres. Each time I've bought 3 plants of each type to compare them.Elsanta have always been large but flavourless, exactly like they always are in the supermarkets. Cambridge Favourite have...
    As for what type, I've had a couple of goes at shoot-outs of all the varieties I could get from garden centres. Each time I've bought 3 plants of each type to compare them.Elsanta have always been large but flavourless, exactly like they always...
    As for what type, I've had a couple of goes at shoot-outs of all the varieties I could get from garden centres. Each time I've bought 3 plants of each type to compare them.Elsanta have always...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Tom Dee

Dock leaf or chard?

Looks more like a dock leaf to me anyway.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. mazambo

Blueberries, do need to repot?

I would definitely give them more room to grow. Those pots look tiny compared to the plant.Additionally it helps during summer as bigger pots can store more moisture for your plants. You don't...
    I would definitely give them more room to grow. Those pots look tiny compared to the plant.Additionally it helps during summer as bigger pots can store more moisture for your plants. You don't have to water them daily that way.
    I would definitely give them more room to grow. Those pots look tiny compared to the plant.Additionally it helps during summer as bigger pots can store more moisture for your plants. You don't have to water them daily that way.
    I would definitely give them more room to grow. Those pots look tiny compared to the plant.Additionally it helps during summer as bigger pots can store more moisture for your plants. You don't...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice