1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Paladin

Tomato leaves

You need to remove the bigger, lower ones and any others masking the fruit, to allow the sun in so they ripen. Also, if left, leaves will take the nutrients and moisture you want the fruit to...
    You need to remove the bigger, lower ones and any others masking the fruit, to allow the sun in so they ripen. Also, if left, leaves will take the nutrients and moisture you want the fruit to have.So I always remove quite a few when the fruit have arrived. By that time it hardly matters as...
    You need to remove the bigger, lower ones and any others masking the fruit, to allow the sun in so they ripen. Also, if left, leaves will take the nutrients and moisture you want the fruit to have.So I always remove quite a few when the fruit...
    You need to remove the bigger, lower ones and any others masking the fruit, to allow the sun in so they ripen. Also, if left, leaves will take the nutrients and moisture you want the fruit to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Lissy2

Pollinating my cucumber and courgette plants

Hi Lissysee here http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingmarrows.shtmlYou can tell the female flowers as these will have a baby fruit behind them and the males...
    Hi Lissysee here http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingmarrows.shtmlYou can tell the female flowers as these will have a baby fruit behind them and the males are just on a stalkCourgettes need pollinating by insects to develop fruit or tickle inside a male...
    Hi Lissysee here http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingmarrows.shtmlYou can tell the female flowers as these will have a baby fruit behind them and the males are just on a stalkCourgettes need pollinating...
    Hi Lissysee here http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingmarrows.shtmlYou can tell the female flowers as these will have a baby fruit behind them and the males...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. leanne

garlic

Hi you usually plant the clove opposed to the bulb...simply dig it up and break it down into cloves Click here and read under the plant garlic part
    Hi you usually plant the clove opposed to the bulb...simply dig it up and break it down into cloves Click here and read under the plant garlic part
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. dekesta

strange vegetable

I dont think its a vegtable. Sounds a bit like Thorn Apple or some kind of annual Datura, if so its poisonous. Not easy to ID without a picture but be wary of it until your sure.
    I dont think its a vegtable. Sounds a bit like Thorn Apple or some kind of annual Datura, if so its poisonous. Not easy to ID without a picture but be wary of it until your sure.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. val16

tomatoes being eaten

I think it prob is the colorado beetle, not much attacks tomatoes the only other definite I could find is the American bollworm that usually attacks cotton plants but will also eat tomato...
    I think it prob is the colorado beetle, not much attacks tomatoes the only other definite I could find is the American bollworm that usually attacks cotton plants but will also eat tomato fruitssee if you can view this thread..its not in the best of order as it has disappeared off the web and...
    I think it prob is the colorado beetle, not much attacks tomatoes the only other definite I could find is the American bollworm that usually attacks cotton plants but will also eat tomato fruitssee if you can view this thread..its not in the...
    I think it prob is the colorado beetle, not much attacks tomatoes the only other definite I could find is the American bollworm that usually attacks cotton plants but will also eat tomato...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. sherry040999

peppers and chillis

Are the leaves still dark green or are they yellow, the ones that are falling off that is. :(
    Are the leaves still dark green or are they yellow, the ones that are falling off that is. :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. jjordie

Storing beetroot

Can't see you're doing wrong. Try leaving main crop in the ground and mulch with straw or hay or store in a clamp.
    Can't see you're doing wrong. Try leaving main crop in the ground and mulch with straw or hay or store in a clamp.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. jpb1958

Fruit garden

Not sure about the planning but I would add blackberries, raspberries and blackcurrants
    Not sure about the planning but I would add blackberries, raspberries and blackcurrants
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. borgs

Growing tomato plants indoors in 10" plant pots - how much water?

Forgot to say: they are in a loamy / compost type soil.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. jukeboxnsm

Radishes

I dont think radishes transplant well. Keep em in the carrier bag. [ May 23, 2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]
    I dont think radishes transplant well. Keep em in the carrier bag. [ May 23, 2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Neil

Potatoes

they usually do recover, puts them back a bit though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Gardening Newbie

Crop Rotation

Hi ,Helen.Don't do veg anymore, forced labour as a youngster, only bad memories!But as long as you don't put the same crop in the same place for at least 3 years you should be o.k.It's the...
    Hi ,Helen.Don't do veg anymore, forced labour as a youngster, only bad memories!But as long as you don't put the same crop in the same place for at least 3 years you should be o.k.It's the brassicas you have to careful with, root problems.I also had a problem with manure, the ground was...
    Hi ,Helen.Don't do veg anymore, forced labour as a youngster, only bad memories!But as long as you don't put the same crop in the same place for at least 3 years you should be o.k.It's the brassicas you have to careful with, root...
    Hi ,Helen.Don't do veg anymore, forced labour as a youngster, only bad memories!But as long as you don't put the same crop in the same place for at least 3 years you should be o.k.It's the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. skye

Gem squash

This place at top of the pageWill keep looking though.Nathan.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Neil

Veg

Hi Neil Sounds like they weren't firmed in enough, also are they in a bright enough spot? I tend to plant up to the first set of leaves really firm them in & put a brassica collar round each one....
    Hi Neil Sounds like they weren't firmed in enough, also are they in a bright enough spot? I tend to plant up to the first set of leaves really firm them in & put a brassica collar round each one. I would try earthing up round them & firming them in hard. I'm sure someone else will have advice...
    Hi Neil Sounds like they weren't firmed in enough, also are they in a bright enough spot? I tend to plant up to the first set of leaves really firm them in & put a brassica collar round each one. I would try earthing up round them & firming them...
    Hi Neil Sounds like they weren't firmed in enough, also are they in a bright enough spot? I tend to plant up to the first set of leaves really firm them in & put a brassica collar round each one....
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. turl

Kale ornamental (Sunrise)

Probably best sown outdoors when the weather allows. Not sure but dont they colour up in the late autumn, like ornamental cabbage. If so your probably a bit early.
    Probably best sown outdoors when the weather allows. Not sure but dont they colour up in the late autumn, like ornamental cabbage. If so your probably a bit early.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. rblady

strawberries

No its not a silly question. I reckon they need potting up in 2-3 in pots. But keep them as cool as poss. and as light as poss. Having said that frost free, perhaps 50 deg F min. Those divided...
    No its not a silly question. I reckon they need potting up in 2-3 in pots. But keep them as cool as poss. and as light as poss. Having said that frost free, perhaps 50 deg F min. Those divided trays you can get for bedding plants would be OK. [ March 11, 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by:...
    No its not a silly question. I reckon they need potting up in 2-3 in pots. But keep them as cool as poss. and as light as poss. Having said that frost free, perhaps 50 deg F min. Those divided trays you can get for bedding plants would be OK. ...
    No its not a silly question. I reckon they need potting up in 2-3 in pots. But keep them as cool as poss. and as light as poss. Having said that frost free, perhaps 50 deg F min. Those divided...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. colin

CRANBERRY`S

www.dorset-blueberry.com
    www.dorset-blueberry.com
    www.dorset-blueberry.com
    www.dorset-blueberry.com
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Buttercup

potato soil

Hi Buttercup, I've grown potatoes for many years in soil with a neutral pH; just add some good old fashioned well rotted manure and I'm sure you'll get a decent crop.
    Hi Buttercup, I've grown potatoes for many years in soil with a neutral pH; just add some good old fashioned well rotted manure and I'm sure you'll get a decent crop.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Buttercup

New Vegie Patch

Well done Buttercup...if it's Woodash rest assured you never have slugs nibbling at your vegies, lol as long as it's not all just ash,but dig it in deep and mix well with soil, maybe some sand or...
    Well done Buttercup...if it's Woodash rest assured you never have slugs nibbling at your vegies, lol as long as it's not all just ash,but dig it in deep and mix well with soil, maybe some sand or peat /peat substitute would not go amiss,if the soil is too dusty. You should have saved this...
    Well done Buttercup...if it's Woodash rest assured you never have slugs nibbling at your vegies, lol as long as it's not all just ash,but dig it in deep and mix well with soil, maybe some sand or peat /peat substitute would not go amiss,if the...
    Well done Buttercup...if it's Woodash rest assured you never have slugs nibbling at your vegies, lol as long as it's not all just ash,but dig it in deep and mix well with soil, maybe some sand or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Izzy

courgette virus

Plant virus are usually spread through the contamination of the sap. Usually spread by sap sucking insects but can also be spread by using unclean tools, say when cutting off dead leaves during...
    Plant virus are usually spread through the contamination of the sap. Usually spread by sap sucking insects but can also be spread by using unclean tools, say when cutting off dead leaves during the growing season. Its always best to use fresh compost and clean pots anyway.pete
    Plant virus are usually spread through the contamination of the sap. Usually spread by sap sucking insects but can also be spread by using unclean tools, say when cutting off dead leaves during the growing season. Its always best to use fresh...
    Plant virus are usually spread through the contamination of the sap. Usually spread by sap sucking insects but can also be spread by using unclean tools, say when cutting off dead leaves during...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice