1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. IceColdRum

Passiflora incarnata?

It seems that my passiflora finally have decided to wake up from their slumber. I was already fearing the worst after what Pete said, but they seem to grow back faster and stronger than last...
    It seems that my passiflora finally have decided to wake up from their slumber. I was already fearing the worst after what Pete said, but they seem to grow back faster and stronger than last year. It was an exceptionally mild winter, so that definitely helped.They are now producing 8-9 vines...
    It seems that my passiflora finally have decided to wake up from their slumber. I was already fearing the worst after what Pete said, but they seem to grow back faster and stronger than last year. It was an exceptionally mild winter, so that...
    It seems that my passiflora finally have decided to wake up from their slumber. I was already fearing the worst after what Pete said, but they seem to grow back faster and stronger than last...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Head Gardener's Dogsbody

What's wrong with this Rhubarb

Was it recently planted? It takes a t least a couple of years to establish. Slugs and snails do like the leaves when young.
    Was it recently planted? It takes a t least a couple of years to establish. Slugs and snails do like the leaves when young.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. mazambo

Grape Vine?

I usually take hardwood cuttings in winter when dormant, but I have rooted softwood cuttings.
    I usually take hardwood cuttings in winter when dormant, but I have rooted softwood cuttings.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Logan
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Aaron Johnston

Peppers first time growing - Advice required.

I had yellow seedlings that stalled growing in100% peat compost. I dont think it has anything to do with what the compost is made of its more about how much fertiliser they add.They are...
    I had yellow seedlings that stalled growing in100% peat compost. I dont think it has anything to do with what the compost is made of its more about how much fertiliser they add.They are probably adding less because or the war in Ukraine.:biggrin:
    I had yellow seedlings that stalled growing in100% peat compost. I dont think it has anything to do with what the compost is made of its more about how much fertiliser they add.They are probably adding less because or the war in Ukraine.:biggrin:
    I had yellow seedlings that stalled growing in100% peat compost. I dont think it has anything to do with what the compost is made of its more about how much fertiliser they add.They are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Aaron Johnston

Cucumbers, Dwarf Beans & Peppers in plastic greenhouse, What is your experiences?

Inside the shaded 8X6 in early June 2021, the French beans planted out (salad crops lower down):Inside the 8x8 Aug last year, Melons and Cucumbers:Mainly tomatoes inside the 12x8 last...
    Inside the shaded 8X6 in early June 2021, the French beans planted out (salad crops lower down):Inside the 8x8 Aug last year, Melons and Cucumbers:Mainly tomatoes inside the 12x8 last year in early august:
    Inside the shaded 8X6 in early June 2021, the French beans planted out (salad crops lower down):Inside the 8x8 Aug last year, Melons and Cucumbers:Mainly tomatoes inside the 12x8 last year in early august:
    Inside the shaded 8X6 in early June 2021, the French beans planted out (salad crops lower down):Inside the 8x8 Aug last year, Melons and Cucumbers:Mainly tomatoes inside the 12x8 last...
    P1010058.JPG P1010057.JPG 20210603_212331.jpg 20210805_075234.jpg 20210607_164637.jpg 20210829_104231.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Tinkerbelle61

Courgette Leaf Problem

@pete there was a whitening on the shed roofs on Monday morning and cold with almost constant rain for two days, strong north winds also. Then yesterday afternoon sunshine and warmer temps, okay...
    @pete there was a whitening on the shed roofs on Monday morning and cold with almost constant rain for two days, strong north winds also. Then yesterday afternoon sunshine and warmer temps, okay today also. I have cut the three blackened leaves off, I’ll check it again in the morning and if more...
    @pete there was a whitening on the shed roofs on Monday morning and cold with almost constant rain for two days, strong north winds also. Then yesterday afternoon sunshine and warmer temps, okay today also. I have cut the three blackened leaves...
    @pete there was a whitening on the shed roofs on Monday morning and cold with almost constant rain for two days, strong north winds also. Then yesterday afternoon sunshine and warmer temps, okay...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Michael Hewett

Peas

It's not the normal practise to pinch out the tips of edible peas but it will be interesting to see how yours perform @Michael Hewett
    It's not the normal practise to pinch out the tips of edible peas but it will be interesting to see how yours perform @Michael Hewett
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Shaneoak

Apple tree ‘red devil’ - virus?

looking at what you received... is a pitiful sight ... and tickled pink !! oh my !which company did you receive it from ?
    looking at what you received... is a pitiful sight ... and tickled pink !! oh my !which company did you receive it from ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Welshman

Winter in the greenhouse

I only got toms, basil, thyme, betroot, lettuce, spring onions……growing in the greenhouse at the moment
    I only got toms, basil, thyme, betroot, lettuce, spring onions……growing in the greenhouse at the moment
    20220502_111748.jpg IMG_20220501_132359502_HDR.jpg 59DC3A80-7861-4F15-8DC4-904639339868.jpeg 33CFF411-7880-48C0-874A-77A133AE9128.jpeg 4001EAE5-FD4E-4057-9AA7-419FC7DCFF92.jpeg A217D37F-3EF3-45A6-9500-B97B9393CA32.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Fat Controller

Rhubarb

Brilliant, thanks @NigelJ :)As it happens, I did feed with Miracle Gro today (quite impressed with the hose attached feeder); I am quite happy to hack open more of the membrane if it is needed...
    Brilliant, thanks @NigelJ :)As it happens, I did feed with Miracle Gro today (quite impressed with the hose attached feeder); I am quite happy to hack open more of the membrane if it is needed to allow sideward spread or for chicken pellets - indeed, the membrane stops at the right hand side...
    Brilliant, thanks @NigelJ :)As it happens, I did feed with Miracle Gro today (quite impressed with the hose attached feeder); I am quite happy to hack open more of the membrane if it is needed to allow sideward spread or for chicken pellets -...
    Brilliant, thanks @NigelJ :)As it happens, I did feed with Miracle Gro today (quite impressed with the hose attached feeder); I am quite happy to hack open more of the membrane if it is needed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Scudo

Help, Beetroot issue

Looks like leaf miners. Hold a leaf up to the light and you might be able to see the insect inside the leaf . They often grow out of it if it doesn't get too bad.
    Looks like leaf miners. Hold a leaf up to the light and you might be able to see the insect inside the leaf . They often grow out of it if it doesn't get too bad.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Marley Farley

GARDENERS DELIGHT TOMATO SEED GERMINATION AND GROWING 2019

JWK's 2005 strain. A bit behind my other toms, as I had to re-sow. Bagged for the promised seed save.
    JWK's 2005 strain. A bit behind my other toms, as I had to re-sow. Bagged for the promised seed save.
    20190217_151334.jpg tomato.jpg IMG_20190401_201227.jpg IMG_20190706_211028.jpg IMG_20190706_210909.jpg IMG_20220622_143817.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Josh Fletcher

Radish Pest

Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting...
    Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting could be used to cover seedlings, but make sure you shut them out not in!.Traditonal remedy was to drag...
    Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting could be used to cover seedlings, but make sure you...
    Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. vbgr

veggies to grow now for winter

Many thanks Hanglow, I’m now thinking of swede if they have a punnet at the garden centre. I haven’t any fleece left for covering carrots and the brassicas I grew before in that plot had root...
    Many thanks Hanglow, I’m now thinking of swede if they have a punnet at the garden centre. I haven’t any fleece left for covering carrots and the brassicas I grew before in that plot had root problems so bad they didn’t grow and I had to throw them out. V
    Many thanks Hanglow, I’m now thinking of swede if they have a punnet at the garden centre. I haven’t any fleece left for covering carrots and the brassicas I grew before in that plot had root problems so bad they didn’t grow and I had to throw...
    Many thanks Hanglow, I’m now thinking of swede if they have a punnet at the garden centre. I haven’t any fleece left for covering carrots and the brassicas I grew before in that plot had root...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Logan

Ben growing edibles YouTube videos

Top tips how to grow strawberries in containers
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. colne

What did you eat today that you grew, made, caught, dried/pickled or bought locally?

Picked the first blackberries and made a crumble along with some raspberries:
    P1020098(1).JPG P1050416.JPG P1050417.JPG P1050419.JPG P1050459.JPG P1010586 copy.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jowo

Potato question

Sorry for the late reply, yes both are maincrop so it's a bit early to take the tops off. If you are happy with the size you could remove the tops of the ones flopping over on top of the onions.
    Sorry for the late reply, yes both are maincrop so it's a bit early to take the tops off. If you are happy with the size you could remove the tops of the ones flopping over on top of the onions.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Clueless 1 v2

Pruning apple trees

I'd either prune off the lower branches in Feb/March, flush with the trunk, or just use strong forked stakes to support them. The first option should encourage the tree to grow upwards, but a lot...
    I'd either prune off the lower branches in Feb/March, flush with the trunk, or just use strong forked stakes to support them. The first option should encourage the tree to grow upwards, but a lot depends on the variety.
    I'd either prune off the lower branches in Feb/March, flush with the trunk, or just use strong forked stakes to support them. The first option should encourage the tree to grow upwards, but a lot depends on the variety.
    I'd either prune off the lower branches in Feb/March, flush with the trunk, or just use strong forked stakes to support them. The first option should encourage the tree to grow upwards, but a lot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. NigelJ

Soft fruit disaster

I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they...
    I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they clumsily pecked at everything looking even remotely like a piece of fruit, ripe er green.(destroyed my...
    I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they clumsily pecked at everything looking even remotely...
    I had the same problem. We found the culprit to be a couple of doves. They flew into the bushes, breaking twigs left and right while trying to land and keep their balance. After that, they...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice