1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. Fred Clarke

Small Roots on Tomato Plants

I seem to have answered my own question about seed swops John, having found a few posts (from you) in previous years.I also noticed your comment about being OCD about tommies. Rest easy because...
    I seem to have answered my own question about seed swops John, having found a few posts (from you) in previous years.I also noticed your comment about being OCD about tommies. Rest easy because you're not at all OCD about it. It annoys the hell out of me when I've given plants away and when...
    I seem to have answered my own question about seed swops John, having found a few posts (from you) in previous years.I also noticed your comment about being OCD about tommies. Rest easy because you're not at all OCD about it. It annoys the...
    I seem to have answered my own question about seed swops John, having found a few posts (from you) in previous years.I also noticed your comment about being OCD about tommies. Rest easy because...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Peggy640

Baby Potatoes are slightly bitter

Hi would say also growing conditions and storage also seen this How Do You Stop Potatoes From Being Bitter? If you’re looking to stop potatoes from being bitter, here are a few tips:Start by...
    Hi would say also growing conditions and storage also seen this How Do You Stop Potatoes From Being Bitter? If you’re looking to stop potatoes from being bitter, here are a few tips:Start by boiling the potatoes for about 15 minutes before peeled and cutting into small pieces. Add salt and...
    Hi would say also growing conditions and storage also seen this How Do You Stop Potatoes From Being Bitter? If you’re looking to stop potatoes from being bitter, here are a few tips:Start by boiling the potatoes for about 15 minutes before...
    Hi would say also growing conditions and storage also seen this How Do You Stop Potatoes From Being Bitter? If you’re looking to stop potatoes from being bitter, here are a few tips:Start by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Paul Blackburn

How to store potatoes

I've always used potato sacks from the chippy. Request they open by using the stitched string, not a knife around circumference. Always go in before the fryer is hot to ask, arrange to go back...
    I've always used potato sacks from the chippy. Request they open by using the stitched string, not a knife around circumference. Always go in before the fryer is hot to ask, arrange to go back several days later and always take some bounty- chard being a currency. Turn sacks inside out to avoid...
    I've always used potato sacks from the chippy. Request they open by using the stitched string, not a knife around circumference. Always go in before the fryer is hot to ask, arrange to go back several days later and always take some bounty- chard...
    I've always used potato sacks from the chippy. Request they open by using the stitched string, not a knife around circumference. Always go in before the fryer is hot to ask, arrange to go back...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Disleydog

Tomato malformation

It is indeed caused by calcium deficiency, calcium is obtained via the roots and flows up but cant circulate so when water is short the plants growth can cause deficiencies. Magnesium however...
    It is indeed caused by calcium deficiency, calcium is obtained via the roots and flows up but cant circulate so when water is short the plants growth can cause deficiencies. Magnesium however doesnt have this problem. I think the plants will scrap older leaves too to scavange it so it decreases...
    It is indeed caused by calcium deficiency, calcium is obtained via the roots and flows up but cant circulate so when water is short the plants growth can cause deficiencies. Magnesium however doesnt have this problem. I think the plants will...
    It is indeed caused by calcium deficiency, calcium is obtained via the roots and flows up but cant circulate so when water is short the plants growth can cause deficiencies. Magnesium however...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Scudo

Apple tree issues

Looks like mildew.Just wondering if the tree was dry, it could partly explain the mildew and the fruit drop.Does the fruit have mildew in the picture, when they drop at that stage it's often...
    Looks like mildew.Just wondering if the tree was dry, it could partly explain the mildew and the fruit drop.Does the fruit have mildew in the picture, when they drop at that stage it's often pollination problems.
    Looks like mildew.Just wondering if the tree was dry, it could partly explain the mildew and the fruit drop.Does the fruit have mildew in the picture, when they drop at that stage it's often pollination problems.
    Looks like mildew.Just wondering if the tree was dry, it could partly explain the mildew and the fruit drop.Does the fruit have mildew in the picture, when they drop at that stage it's often...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Peggy640

My Cauliflowers have gone limp overnight

you should have seen my others. Caterpillars got at my first batch and they was a mess. Thankfully I protected these ones much better from the butterflies
    you should have seen my others. Caterpillars got at my first batch and they was a mess. Thankfully I protected these ones much better from the butterflies
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Didi
    Like x 3

Tomato

Thanks @pete . Maybe just some odd function of this laptop, but it's not a huge deal if I can get it all working on Firefox. I don't use Google other than for...Googling....;)I'll have a look at...
    Thanks @pete . Maybe just some odd function of this laptop, but it's not a huge deal if I can get it all working on Firefox. I don't use Google other than for...Googling....;)I'll have a look at that as well though. :blue thumb:
    Thanks @pete . Maybe just some odd function of this laptop, but it's not a huge deal if I can get it all working on Firefox. I don't use Google other than for...Googling....;)I'll have a look at that as well though. :blue thumb:
    Thanks @pete . Maybe just some odd function of this laptop, but it's not a huge deal if I can get it all working on Firefox. I don't use Google other than for...Googling....;)I'll have a look at...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Peggy640

Is it possible to grow 2 batches of tomatoes in one year?

I don't eat my bigger tomatoes fresh, I freeze them for year round use. I eat baby toms fresh.I am based in East London.
    I don't eat my bigger tomatoes fresh, I freeze them for year round use. I eat baby toms fresh.I am based in East London.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Bear1

Best apple varity for North Glen's of northeren ireland

@Bear1 This might give you some ideas What fruit varieties are suitable for Northern Ireland?
    @Bear1 This might give you some ideas What fruit varieties are suitable for Northern Ireland?
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Drahcir

Why are some of my onions apparently growing through their bottoms?

Problems basically. Cocaine in waste water can prevent eels from reaching sexual maturity. Hormones from "the pill" can cause problems with trout and other aquatic life not developing properly and...
    Problems basically. Cocaine in waste water can prevent eels from reaching sexual maturity. Hormones from "the pill" can cause problems with trout and other aquatic life not developing properly and deformed reproductive organs. As for anti depressants don't ask. They can make aquatic animals...
    Problems basically. Cocaine in waste water can prevent eels from reaching sexual maturity. Hormones from "the pill" can cause problems with trout and other aquatic life not developing properly and deformed reproductive organs. As for anti...
    Problems basically. Cocaine in waste water can prevent eels from reaching sexual maturity. Hormones from "the pill" can cause problems with trout and other aquatic life not developing properly and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Peggy640

Is my Broccoli (Calabrese) ready to harvest?

I have overwintered realseeds 60day# broccoli in pots (6") undercover, to get an earlier crop. * Normal problems of slugs and white fly, but most survived. Placed outside in January c20th), and...
    I have overwintered realseeds 60day# broccoli in pots (6") undercover, to get an earlier crop. * Normal problems of slugs and white fly, but most survived. Placed outside in January c20th), and planted out as soon as weather brightened. Essential to cover with net as pigeons are hungriest then....
    I have overwintered realseeds 60day# broccoli in pots (6") undercover, to get an earlier crop. * Normal problems of slugs and white fly, but most survived. Placed outside in January c20th), and planted out as soon as weather brightened. Essential...
    I have overwintered realseeds 60day# broccoli in pots (6") undercover, to get an earlier crop. * Normal problems of slugs and white fly, but most survived. Placed outside in January c20th), and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Drahcir

What to with an impending great surplus of...

The trouble with freezing soup is that the water content takes up valuable space needed for other things. I'm going to try bottling soup this year, at least the tomato and squash ones.
    The trouble with freezing soup is that the water content takes up valuable space needed for other things. I'm going to try bottling soup this year, at least the tomato and squash ones.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Greybelle

Bird Thieves

@Greybelle We have had similar issues over the years. We have tried hanging old CDs so that the swing and reflect the light, hung old white sheets torn into strips etc etc. Birds totally ignored...
    @Greybelle We have had similar issues over the years. We have tried hanging old CDs so that the swing and reflect the light, hung old white sheets torn into strips etc etc. Birds totally ignored them. We then made a model of a sparrowhawk that was hanging at the end of a flexible tube that moved...
    @Greybelle We have had similar issues over the years. We have tried hanging old CDs so that the swing and reflect the light, hung old white sheets torn into strips etc etc. Birds totally ignored them. We then made a model of a sparrowhawk that...
    @Greybelle We have had similar issues over the years. We have tried hanging old CDs so that the swing and reflect the light, hung old white sheets torn into strips etc etc. Birds totally ignored...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Bear1

Apple trees keep dieing

Hi I had a james greives apple tree that the shoots and leaves kept ing dieing and looked to be cankered bought a red devil apple tree thinking it would do better but its cankered all round on the...
    Hi I had a james greives apple tree that the shoots and leaves kept ing dieing and looked to be cankered bought a red devil apple tree thinking it would do better but its cankered all round on the main trunck it's only 2 years old , I have a 3 year old fiesta that seems to be ok and I got a...
    Hi I had a james greives apple tree that the shoots and leaves kept ing dieing and looked to be cankered bought a red devil apple tree thinking it would do better but its cankered all round on the main trunck it's only 2 years old , I have a 3...
    Hi I had a james greives apple tree that the shoots and leaves kept ing dieing and looked to be cankered bought a red devil apple tree thinking it would do better but its cankered all round on the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. BillyBumbleBeard

Strawberries - small shriveled fruit.

Some good advice Cheers all, will need to update my gardening notebook.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Drahcir

Brown marks on broad beans (the actual unripe seed).

After reading around two suggestions 1) Manganese deficiency, 2) Virus.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. burnie

End of July catchup

I gave up smoking a pipe 40 years ago lol. Funnily though he and I share a lot of similarities, I'm a mad keen angler too.
    I gave up smoking a pipe 40 years ago lol. Funnily though he and I share a lot of similarities, I'm a mad keen angler too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Darren2993

Apple Pest

That's interesting. Back in UK, I used the traps and found that they were sufficient....didn't need to spray!
    That's interesting. Back in UK, I used the traps and found that they were sufficient....didn't need to spray!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Drahcir

Squash, when to cut?

I have found it is necessary seperate squash from each other in storage as condensation forms on the points of contact, causing the rind to grow mould and then rot. If you have an airy space...
    I have found it is necessary seperate squash from each other in storage as condensation forms on the points of contact, causing the rind to grow mould and then rot. If you have an airy space ,frost-free , I would move them out of the carton and place in solitary confinement. It helps to let the...
    I have found it is necessary seperate squash from each other in storage as condensation forms on the points of contact, causing the rind to grow mould and then rot. If you have an airy space ,frost-free , I would move them out of the carton and...
    I have found it is necessary seperate squash from each other in storage as condensation forms on the points of contact, causing the rind to grow mould and then rot. If you have an airy space...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Clueless 1 v2

Where should my veg be upto by now

Thanks all.Regarding it being crowded, that's a fair assessment. The only reason the courgettes are in there is because my dad's young dog sometimes visits, and she's crazy, and has a bizarre...
    Thanks all.Regarding it being crowded, that's a fair assessment. The only reason the courgettes are in there is because my dad's young dog sometimes visits, and she's crazy, and has a bizarre interest in potted plants. I keep meaning to bring them out into the garden.I usually feed up once a...
    Thanks all.Regarding it being crowded, that's a fair assessment. The only reason the courgettes are in there is because my dad's young dog sometimes visits, and she's crazy, and has a bizarre interest in potted plants. I keep meaning to bring...
    Thanks all.Regarding it being crowded, that's a fair assessment. The only reason the courgettes are in there is because my dad's young dog sometimes visits, and she's crazy, and has a bizarre...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice