1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↑
Last Message
  1. supersprout

Are veggie roots different at different levels?

Hi supersprout,have a look through Digging,in edible gardening.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. LCH

Butternut Squash

If they're anything like pumpkins, they're fine to go out now. Pumpkins are knows as very greedy plants (both manure and space-wise) - so give them plenty of space, and give their creepers...
    If they're anything like pumpkins, they're fine to go out now. Pumpkins are knows as very greedy plants (both manure and space-wise) - so give them plenty of space, and give their creepers somewhere to climb as they'll take over things if not checked.
    If they're anything like pumpkins, they're fine to go out now. Pumpkins are knows as very greedy plants (both manure and space-wise) - so give them plenty of space, and give their creepers somewhere to climb as they'll take over things if not...
    If they're anything like pumpkins, they're fine to go out now. Pumpkins are knows as very greedy plants (both manure and space-wise) - so give them plenty of space, and give their creepers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Galore

Rock Melon

Thanks Pete. I will give it some tlc and hope it survives. I know it says it's a melon but I thought it was just a shrub.:DOH:
    Thanks Pete. I will give it some tlc and hope it survives. I know it says it's a melon but I thought it was just a shrub.:DOH:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. nikirushka

Bicolour tomatoes?

Thanks. The smaller one I found between the pots, so that one wasn't picked and was probably there for a few days.The greeny bit isn't too hard - I've eaten both with no problems, very tasty!
    Thanks. The smaller one I found between the pots, so that one wasn't picked and was probably there for a few days.The greeny bit isn't too hard - I've eaten both with no problems, very tasty!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. GYO newbie

Safe paint

My concern would be, what has it already been treated with in the past.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. firsttimer

Need Help

Hi guys I've decided that its time to upscale my potato growing as i haven't got the ground space i've opted for a different approach. Trying to find some juice syrup barrels so if anybody knows...
    Hi guys I've decided that its time to upscale my potato growing as i haven't got the ground space i've opted for a different approach. Trying to find some juice syrup barrels so if anybody knows of a good supplier or any ideas where to try. Only need 2 as i'm growing 4 varieties next season....
    Hi guys I've decided that its time to upscale my potato growing as i haven't got the ground space i've opted for a different approach. Trying to find some juice syrup barrels so if anybody knows of a good supplier or any ideas where to try. Only...
    Hi guys I've decided that its time to upscale my potato growing as i haven't got the ground space i've opted for a different approach. Trying to find some juice syrup barrels so if anybody knows...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Vince

2014 Asparagus

My asparagus are messing me about - playing dead but still there. I have a hope they may have a next flush
    My asparagus are messing me about - playing dead but still there. I have a hope they may have a next flush
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Josh Fletcher

Radish Pest

Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting...
    Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting could be used to cover seedlings, but make sure you shut them out not in!.Traditonal remedy was to drag...
    Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting could be used to cover seedlings, but make sure you...
    Almost certainly flea beetle. Scourge of all small brassicae. Its what has stopped farmers growing spring canola (oil seed rape) since a suitable insecticide has been banned. Very fine netting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. cauliflower ears

New planting - raspberries

I grow Glen Ample: mid season. Reputed to be one of the heaviest croppers. About 10kg picked this year from a 8 metre row. Taset : gorgeous. Big and juicy...
    I grow Glen Ample: mid season. Reputed to be one of the heaviest croppers. About 10kg picked this year from a 8 metre row. Taset : gorgeous. Big and juicy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Notty1975
    Like x 3

First crop of the year

Nice one Notty :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Bilbo675

Onion Question

Many thanks guys, this is the first year I have grown onions; I'll just enjoy them as they are :thumb:
    Many thanks guys, this is the first year I have grown onions; I'll just enjoy them as they are :thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pickwick

apples

If, when you hold the apple and it comes away easily in your hand then it is ripe. Anything else and they are not ready.:thumbsup:
    If, when you hold the apple and it comes away easily in your hand then it is ripe. Anything else and they are not ready.:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. David G

Tomatoes Planting

Yup, first pair of proper leaves, I'm just about to start transplanting mine, I've grown each in individual 2" pots, will transplant to 3" pots, harden off the outdoor ones and finally transplant...
    Yup, first pair of proper leaves, I'm just about to start transplanting mine, I've grown each in individual 2" pots, will transplant to 3" pots, harden off the outdoor ones and finally transplant into 12"+ pots. Growing in pots by stages, there's no root disturbance and good healthy plants.........
    Yup, first pair of proper leaves, I'm just about to start transplanting mine, I've grown each in individual 2" pots, will transplant to 3" pots, harden off the outdoor ones and finally transplant into 12"+ pots. Growing in pots by stages, there's...
    Yup, first pair of proper leaves, I'm just about to start transplanting mine, I've grown each in individual 2" pots, will transplant to 3" pots, harden off the outdoor ones and finally transplant...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Matthew 1990

Melons!

Hope you have more success with your melons' than I have with my pomegranate and kumquate.Have one kumquate on a large bush, thinking of cutting the bloomin thing into tiny peices and having a...
    Hope you have more success with your melons' than I have with my pomegranate and kumquate.Have one kumquate on a large bush, thinking of cutting the bloomin thing into tiny peices and having a cerimonial bbq when it ripensGood luck,Paulap.s. you don't have to be mad to live here but...
    Hope you have more success with your melons' than I have with my pomegranate and kumquate.Have one kumquate on a large bush, thinking of cutting the bloomin thing into tiny peices and having a cerimonial bbq when it ripensGood...
    Hope you have more success with your melons' than I have with my pomegranate and kumquate.Have one kumquate on a large bush, thinking of cutting the bloomin thing into tiny peices and having a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. lazy-gardener

potatoe question again!!

Used to be undecided but now you're not so sure eh!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Annemieke

witloof chicory

Last year I successfully grew witloof chicory. I sowed it in June, dug it up in November and planted the roots in buckets in a shed. Now I can eat lovely salad: witloof with (cooking) apple and...
    Last year I successfully grew witloof chicory. I sowed it in June, dug it up in November and planted the roots in buckets in a shed. Now I can eat lovely salad: witloof with (cooking) apple and olive oil - easy, seasonal, lovely!I do seem to have left some root-bits in the ground however, and...
    Last year I successfully grew witloof chicory. I sowed it in June, dug it up in November and planted the roots in buckets in a shed. Now I can eat lovely salad: witloof with (cooking) apple and olive oil - easy, seasonal, lovely!I do seem to...
    Last year I successfully grew witloof chicory. I sowed it in June, dug it up in November and planted the roots in buckets in a shed. Now I can eat lovely salad: witloof with (cooking) apple and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. GYO newbie

share your pics

Well here are a few of my pics. 1) cucumber 2) courgette 3) sweet corn 4) Pentland javelins 5) mangetout 6) beetroot 7) cherry toms 8) radish 9) broccoli 10) round carrots - onions 11) carrots -...
    Well here are a few of my pics. 1) cucumber 2) courgette 3) sweet corn 4) Pentland javelins 5) mangetout 6) beetroot 7) cherry toms 8) radish 9) broccoli 10) round carrots - onions 11) carrots - spring onionsHappy to get feedback and advice.
    Well here are a few of my pics. 1) cucumber 2) courgette 3) sweet corn 4) Pentland javelins 5) mangetout 6) beetroot 7) cherry toms 8) radish 9) broccoli 10) round carrots - onions 11) carrots - spring onionsHappy to get feedback and advice.
    Well here are a few of my pics. 1) cucumber 2) courgette 3) sweet corn 4) Pentland javelins 5) mangetout 6) beetroot 7) cherry toms 8) radish 9) broccoli 10) round carrots - onions 11) carrots -...
    WP_20150514_034.jpg WP_20150514_030.jpg WP_20150514_009.jpg WP_20150514_018.jpg WP_20150514_021.jpg WP_20150514_013.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Sezzle

purple spuds - culinary tips

Steam them :) my mum says that what you should do with them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Stooey89

Dwarf Apple Tree problem

Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch...
    Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch collar and tidy up the cut, you should be fine. Tree Pruning, How to Prune Tree Branches Correctly...
    Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch collar and tidy up the cut, you should be fine....
    Hi @Stooey89 These days, it's generally thought that wound paints and capping waxes aren't necessary and are likely to cause more harm than good. As long as you cut the branches close the branch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Gay Gardener

Broccoli

I'd dig them up GG. Once they've bolted like that they're unlikely to produce any more usable new shoots. If you take them out, it will also allow more light to reach the other brassica plants you...
    I'd dig them up GG. Once they've bolted like that they're unlikely to produce any more usable new shoots. If you take them out, it will also allow more light to reach the other brassica plants you have in there, and large brassica plants also suck up a lot of moisture from the soil, so less...
    I'd dig them up GG. Once they've bolted like that they're unlikely to produce any more usable new shoots. If you take them out, it will also allow more light to reach the other brassica plants you have in there, and large brassica plants also...
    I'd dig them up GG. Once they've bolted like that they're unlikely to produce any more usable new shoots. If you take them out, it will also allow more light to reach the other brassica plants you...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice