1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↑
Last Message
  1. dogsbody

Tall spuds

Excellent idea John, I'll keep that in mind for next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. mickthejack1066

peppers

Welcome to GC!If you don't know what mushrooms they are then don't eat them. They probably won;t harm the peppers but I'd remove them personally. Good luck with the gardening!
    Welcome to GC!If you don't know what mushrooms they are then don't eat them. They probably won;t harm the peppers but I'd remove them personally. Good luck with the gardening!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Paul Blackburn

Rust on my apple tree leaves

Not much availible to amatuer growers these days, on edible plants, I dont think.:scratch: Rust was always a difficult one anyway.
    Not much availible to amatuer growers these days, on edible plants, I dont think.:scratch: Rust was always a difficult one anyway.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. rustyroots

Patio Cucumber

Another one to try is Cristal lemon or Cristal Apple. These are round Cucumbers about the size of an Apple. I have found they grow better outside than in. Trevor
    Another one to try is Cristal lemon or Cristal Apple. These are round Cucumbers about the size of an Apple. I have found they grow better outside than in. Trevor
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Doogle

Tuscan Plum Tommato

Pam: Thanks for that. We decided to plant one outside and keep the others in 'Greenhouse conditions', we don't actually have a Greenhouse as such but somewhere where the temperature and light can...
    Pam: Thanks for that. We decided to plant one outside and keep the others in 'Greenhouse conditions', we don't actually have a Greenhouse as such but somewhere where the temperature and light can be controlled. Just have to wait and see I suspect.
    Pam: Thanks for that. We decided to plant one outside and keep the others in 'Greenhouse conditions', we don't actually have a Greenhouse as such but somewhere where the temperature and light can be controlled. Just have to wait and see I suspect.
    Pam: Thanks for that. We decided to plant one outside and keep the others in 'Greenhouse conditions', we don't actually have a Greenhouse as such but somewhere where the temperature and light can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sheal

Tomatoes

Thanks Armandii, Sungold and Gardeners Delight. I'm particularly pleased with the Sungold, it's the first time I've tried them, very sweet. Last year I tried Golden Pearl, but wasn't that...
    Thanks Armandii, Sungold and Gardeners Delight. I'm particularly pleased with the Sungold, it's the first time I've tried them, very sweet. Last year I tried Golden Pearl, but wasn't that impressed with the flavour. :)
    Thanks Armandii, Sungold and Gardeners Delight. I'm particularly pleased with the Sungold, it's the first time I've tried them, very sweet. Last year I tried Golden Pearl, but wasn't that impressed with the flavour. :)
    Thanks Armandii, Sungold and Gardeners Delight. I'm particularly pleased with the Sungold, it's the first time I've tried them, very sweet. Last year I tried Golden Pearl, but wasn't that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. clueless1

Edible flowers

One of my favourites is adding the flavour & bouquet of Honeysuckle flowers to Crab Apple jelly, but you need to press the juice from the crab apples, pasteurise it, then make the jelly the...
    One of my favourites is adding the flavour & bouquet of Honeysuckle flowers to Crab Apple jelly, but you need to press the juice from the crab apples, pasteurise it, then make the jelly the following year when the Honeysuckle is in bloom. Here's one I 'prepared earlier'
    One of my favourites is adding the flavour & bouquet of Honeysuckle flowers to Crab Apple jelly, but you need to press the juice from the crab apples, pasteurise it, then make the jelly the following year when the Honeysuckle is in bloom. ...
    One of my favourites is adding the flavour & bouquet of Honeysuckle flowers to Crab Apple jelly, but you need to press the juice from the crab apples, pasteurise it, then make the jelly the...
    honeysuckle crab apple.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Lorea

Spinach varieties

I'm trying "Emelia" this year, my first attempt at growing spinach so watch this space!
    I'm trying "Emelia" this year, my first attempt at growing spinach so watch this space!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Victoria Plum

onion and garlic

It would certainly help, if its rotted. I don't think manure will make them bolt, in fact it would also help with moisture retention as well as feeding them.I'm going to be manuring my Kelsae...
    It would certainly help, if its rotted. I don't think manure will make them bolt, in fact it would also help with moisture retention as well as feeding them.I'm going to be manuring my Kelsae onion bed before they go in.
    It would certainly help, if its rotted. I don't think manure will make them bolt, in fact it would also help with moisture retention as well as feeding them.I'm going to be manuring my Kelsae onion bed before they go in.
    It would certainly help, if its rotted. I don't think manure will make them bolt, in fact it would also help with moisture retention as well as feeding them.I'm going to be manuring my Kelsae...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. GYO newbie

What to do - purple sproats?

Its flowering, and will produce yellow flowers. Its past it, you should have eaten the shoots when they were smaller tight buds;)Best put on the compost now, although the actual roots might be a...
    Its flowering, and will produce yellow flowers. Its past it, you should have eaten the shoots when they were smaller tight buds;)Best put on the compost now, although the actual roots might be a bit woody and best burnt or disposed of in a wheelie bin.
    Its flowering, and will produce yellow flowers. Its past it, you should have eaten the shoots when they were smaller tight buds;)Best put on the compost now, although the actual roots might be a bit woody and best burnt or disposed of in a...
    Its flowering, and will produce yellow flowers. Its past it, you should have eaten the shoots when they were smaller tight buds;)Best put on the compost now, although the actual roots might be a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Flowerpot

Pumpkins suffer

Aww Scrungee thats the kind of Pumpkin i've got, first time i've ever grown any and i've got one so i'm pleased even if it is small.....will post it up on the Pumpkin growing thread :thumbsup:
    Aww Scrungee thats the kind of Pumpkin i've got, first time i've ever grown any and i've got one so i'm pleased even if it is small.....will post it up on the Pumpkin growing thread :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. wiseowl

Bumper Harvest Apple Tree

James Grieve is one I have, seems a very reliable cropper, mine is quite small due to me being impatient and wanting apples when it was young, but covered in fruit. I have thinned them out to two...
    James Grieve is one I have, seems a very reliable cropper, mine is quite small due to me being impatient and wanting apples when it was young, but covered in fruit. I have thinned them out to two per bud as suggested by Monty the other night, just to give the tree a chance.
    James Grieve is one I have, seems a very reliable cropper, mine is quite small due to me being impatient and wanting apples when it was young, but covered in fruit. I have thinned them out to two per bud as suggested by Monty the other night,...
    James Grieve is one I have, seems a very reliable cropper, mine is quite small due to me being impatient and wanting apples when it was young, but covered in fruit. I have thinned them out to two...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. golfer

Sprouts

Hi golfer. I'm inclined to say it should be ok, as long as it IS well rotted. I would say that the colour of it should be really dark, almost black, and it should virtually fall through a fork....
    Hi golfer. I'm inclined to say it should be ok, as long as it IS well rotted. I would say that the colour of it should be really dark, almost black, and it should virtually fall through a fork. I'm sure more knowledgeable gardeners here will be able to be more definitive. Hope this...
    Hi golfer. I'm inclined to say it should be ok, as long as it IS well rotted. I would say that the colour of it should be really dark, almost black, and it should virtually fall through a fork. I'm sure more knowledgeable gardeners here will be...
    Hi golfer. I'm inclined to say it should be ok, as long as it IS well rotted. I would say that the colour of it should be really dark, almost black, and it should virtually fall through a fork....
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. oldwinegum

Butternut squash

Have four butternut squash that have just started to run. Grue them last year and did not pinch the leader. I got a small number of good fruit. Question????? Did I do right? should I stop the...
    Have four butternut squash that have just started to run. Grue them last year and did not pinch the leader. I got a small number of good fruit. Question????? Did I do right? should I stop the leader and then the side shoots or do I let them run. This year there is a danger that they will take...
    Have four butternut squash that have just started to run. Grue them last year and did not pinch the leader. I got a small number of good fruit. Question????? Did I do right? should I stop the leader and then the side shoots or do I let them run....
    Have four butternut squash that have just started to run. Grue them last year and did not pinch the leader. I got a small number of good fruit. Question????? Did I do right? should I stop the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Victoria Plum

Potato questions

I have absolutely no idea about potatoes and when they are ready etc. I do love new potatoes though, and so today dug up some reds, blues and whites and had a wonderful potatoe salad with dinner...
    I have absolutely no idea about potatoes and when they are ready etc. I do love new potatoes though, and so today dug up some reds, blues and whites and had a wonderful potatoe salad with dinner tonight. My blues were very low in production, so will assume now that they are a late and leave...
    I have absolutely no idea about potatoes and when they are ready etc. I do love new potatoes though, and so today dug up some reds, blues and whites and had a wonderful potatoe salad with dinner tonight. My blues were very low in production, so...
    I have absolutely no idea about potatoes and when they are ready etc. I do love new potatoes though, and so today dug up some reds, blues and whites and had a wonderful potatoe salad with dinner...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Paul Blackburn

Problem wth my Pear Tree

What's actually happening, are the leaves rolling up. Are there any insects on the backs of the leaves.
    What's actually happening, are the leaves rolling up. Are there any insects on the backs of the leaves.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Boots

when will they be ready?

thanks daitheplant
    thanks daitheplant
    thanks daitheplant
    thanks daitheplant
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. markd

grun gooseberry

I have put in somw grun gooseberies in raised beds this year and their leaves gone red,is this normal or do i have a problem . My invicta , careless and grun grown in the same way all seem to be...
    I have put in somw grun gooseberies in raised beds this year and their leaves gone red,is this normal or do i have a problem . My invicta , careless and grun grown in the same way all seem to be normal.
    I have put in somw grun gooseberies in raised beds this year and their leaves gone red,is this normal or do i have a problem . My invicta , careless and grun grown in the same way all seem to be normal.
    I have put in somw grun gooseberies in raised beds this year and their leaves gone red,is this normal or do i have a problem . My invicta , careless and grun grown in the same way all seem to be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Snowbaby

Green beans

Ahh good point re pollination! Thank you. I'll put them outdoors.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Herb

Veg transplantation

Hi Herb,Yep, parsnips,carrots, sweet corn, bulbing fennel & pak choi don't like root disturbance, you need to grow those in biodegradeable tubes that you can plant straight out.
    Hi Herb,Yep, parsnips,carrots, sweet corn, bulbing fennel & pak choi don't like root disturbance, you need to grow those in biodegradeable tubes that you can plant straight out.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice