Edible Gardening

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. clueless1

Wild strawberries

Well, they are easy to come by so you can afford to take a few chances with them. I think I've got some growing near a N facing fence with overhanging shrubs but I can't swear that they don't get...
    Well, they are easy to come by so you can afford to take a few chances with them. I think I've got some growing near a N facing fence with overhanging shrubs but I can't swear that they don't get some dappled light.
    Well, they are easy to come by so you can afford to take a few chances with them. I think I've got some growing near a N facing fence with overhanging shrubs but I can't swear that they don't get some dappled light.
    Well, they are easy to come by so you can afford to take a few chances with them. I think I've got some growing near a N facing fence with overhanging shrubs but I can't swear that they don't get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. scotty

wild rasps

Wild raspberries are very tasty if small, but the plants are almost as bad as Bindweed or ground elder for spreading. We have been trying to eradicate then from part of our garden for the last 14...
    Wild raspberries are very tasty if small, but the plants are almost as bad as Bindweed or ground elder for spreading. We have been trying to eradicate then from part of our garden for the last 14 years without total success. They really do spread far and wide by underground running woody roots....
    Wild raspberries are very tasty if small, but the plants are almost as bad as Bindweed or ground elder for spreading. We have been trying to eradicate then from part of our garden for the last 14 years without total success. They really do spread...
    Wild raspberries are very tasty if small, but the plants are almost as bad as Bindweed or ground elder for spreading. We have been trying to eradicate then from part of our garden for the last 14...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. pamsdish

Wild Mushrooms

Just as ONE example of the risk from ONE common species that has been known to be mis-identified, check out this:Amanita Phalloides, aka Death Cap, grows on land rich in animal poo. I believe...
    Just as ONE example of the risk from ONE common species that has been known to be mis-identified, check out this:Amanita Phalloides, aka Death Cap, grows on land rich in animal poo. I believe (but am not certain) that it grows on my land.I am certain of one thing though. 99% sure is not...
    Just as ONE example of the risk from ONE common species that has been known to be mis-identified, check out this:Amanita Phalloides, aka Death Cap, grows on land rich in animal poo. I believe (but am not certain) that it grows on my land.I...
    Just as ONE example of the risk from ONE common species that has been known to be mis-identified, check out this:Amanita Phalloides, aka Death Cap, grows on land rich in animal poo. I believe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. PetalsonthePavingSlabs

Wild Garlic / Ramsons

I could try that with some Lancashire crumbly, a bit like Feta for people born north of Crewe! Thank you!
    I could try that with some Lancashire crumbly, a bit like Feta for people born north of Crewe! Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Jiffy

Wild Garlic

That's good news for me as I wont be holidaying where that pic above was taken until the end of the month.
    That's good news for me as I wont be holidaying where that pic above was taken until the end of the month.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. kizzie

Wild fruit trees?

Hell Ziggy he's 95% metal now a bit more won't hurt:loll:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Peter Vile

Wild Brambles

Its probably clear, but just in case ... Blackberry will produce suckers. These should be trained in such a way that they are "not in the way" of fruit picking. After fruit picking cut off the...
    Its probably clear, but just in case ... Blackberry will produce suckers. These should be trained in such a way that they are "not in the way" of fruit picking. After fruit picking cut off the canes that have borne fruit, and retrain (if necessary) this-year's new suckers into the position...
    Its probably clear, but just in case ... Blackberry will produce suckers. These should be trained in such a way that they are "not in the way" of fruit picking. After fruit picking cut off the canes that have borne fruit, and retrain (if...
    Its probably clear, but just in case ... Blackberry will produce suckers. These should be trained in such a way that they are "not in the way" of fruit picking. After fruit picking cut off the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Gay Gardener

Wild Blackberry picking ...

That's how it is round here, you have to get to know the very early bramble patches and work your way to the late ones, finishing with those that produce to end of October, giving three months of...
    That's how it is round here, you have to get to know the very early bramble patches and work your way to the late ones, finishing with those that produce to end of October, giving three months of pickings. Will sort out my wine recipe.
    That's how it is round here, you have to get to know the very early bramble patches and work your way to the late ones, finishing with those that produce to end of October, giving three months of pickings. Will sort out my wine recipe.
    That's how it is round here, you have to get to know the very early bramble patches and work your way to the late ones, finishing with those that produce to end of October, giving three months of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. strawman

Wild about strawberries

We got some white strawberries from Jekka's a couple of years ago. They're sort of half way between wild ones and cultivated ones in size, and with a honey-ish flavour all of their own. They...
    We got some white strawberries from Jekka's a couple of years ago. They're sort of half way between wild ones and cultivated ones in size, and with a honey-ish flavour all of their own. They have taken over the bed they're in. Out competing dandelions (almost)! They're worth a try if you...
    We got some white strawberries from Jekka's a couple of years ago. They're sort of half way between wild ones and cultivated ones in size, and with a honey-ish flavour all of their own. They have taken over the bed they're in. Out competing...
    We got some white strawberries from Jekka's a couple of years ago. They're sort of half way between wild ones and cultivated ones in size, and with a honey-ish flavour all of their own. They...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Triffid

Why sow Swedes in May?

Yeah, may is traditionally the sowign time, but they'll be ready by September perhaps? but will "stand" over winter. Personally I think they come-ready far too early, for me Swede is a winter veg,...
    Yeah, may is traditionally the sowign time, but they'll be ready by September perhaps? but will "stand" over winter. Personally I think they come-ready far too early, for me Swede is a winter veg, and I don't want to be eating it until the Frosts get here ...
    Yeah, may is traditionally the sowign time, but they'll be ready by September perhaps? but will "stand" over winter. Personally I think they come-ready far too early, for me Swede is a winter veg, and I don't want to be eating it until the Frosts...
    Yeah, may is traditionally the sowign time, but they'll be ready by September perhaps? but will "stand" over winter. Personally I think they come-ready far too early, for me Swede is a winter veg,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. PRodgers

Why pears rot faster...

I'd not seen that b4 Andy. Good. John
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. SimonZ

Why must we stake plants like raspberries when this does not happen in the wild?

Ok that works for me as well :-)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Vince
    Like x 6

Why I grow Veggies.

To Heat or not to heat "greenhouse"Evening all, As i said when i asked to become a member "i live to garden and enjoy the country life style, Well today we had visitors and the husband just...
    To Heat or not to heat "greenhouse"Evening all, As i said when i asked to become a member "i live to garden and enjoy the country life style, Well today we had visitors and the husband just cant understand anyone who gardens to feed from or gardens for the flower/shrub sights & smells. As i...
    To Heat or not to heat "greenhouse"Evening all, As i said when i asked to become a member "i live to garden and enjoy the country life style, Well today we had visitors and the husband just cant understand anyone who gardens to feed from or...
    To Heat or not to heat "greenhouse"Evening all, As i said when i asked to become a member "i live to garden and enjoy the country life style, Well today we had visitors and the husband just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. RandyRos

Why have my strawberries turned white?

I've put them in a sunnier spot, but there's nothing I can do about the weather lol
    I've put them in a sunnier spot, but there's nothing I can do about the weather lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. BastLoki

Why have my peas failed? :(

What sort of spacing should peas and broad beans be planted out at?
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Vince

Why grow Cara potatoes?

If you don't have the room to grow potatoes then don't, there are lots of other veg that are best straight out of the garden, if it is just the cost then you will eat healthier with home grown. It...
    If you don't have the room to grow potatoes then don't, there are lots of other veg that are best straight out of the garden, if it is just the cost then you will eat healthier with home grown. It is amazing that potatoes are still the same price they were 25 years ago, in fact when the weather...
    If you don't have the room to grow potatoes then don't, there are lots of other veg that are best straight out of the garden, if it is just the cost then you will eat healthier with home grown. It is amazing that potatoes are still the same price...
    If you don't have the room to grow potatoes then don't, there are lots of other veg that are best straight out of the garden, if it is just the cost then you will eat healthier with home grown. It...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. karaman

Why fruitless fig?

hallo pete and victoria ----- yes am in hungary, winters can be hard to -15 but that hasnt happened for a few years now, usually down to about -5 for a week or two and some snow ---- so thats...
    hallo pete and victoria ----- yes am in hungary, winters can be hard to -15 but that hasnt happened for a few years now, usually down to about -5 for a week or two and some snow ---- so thats where i went wrong: i thought the new shoots bring the fruit so i deliberately cut them back, what a...
    hallo pete and victoria ----- yes am in hungary, winters can be hard to -15 but that hasnt happened for a few years now, usually down to about -5 for a week or two and some snow ---- so thats where i went wrong: i thought the new shoots bring the...
    hallo pete and victoria ----- yes am in hungary, winters can be hard to -15 but that hasnt happened for a few years now, usually down to about -5 for a week or two and some snow ---- so thats...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Burtons

Why do you earth up potatoes

Stem produces the potatoess Potatoes that grow on the surface turn green, so increasing the soil depth helpsas has been said.Earth up and cover the leaves is frost is forecast, as that will...
    Stem produces the potatoess Potatoes that grow on the surface turn green, so increasing the soil depth helpsas has been said.Earth up and cover the leaves is frost is forecast, as that will kill the tops of the plant and set it backI earth up until I can't get any more soil banked up. For...
    Stem produces the potatoess Potatoes that grow on the surface turn green, so increasing the soil depth helpsas has been said.Earth up and cover the leaves is frost is forecast, as that will kill the tops of the plant and set it backI earth...
    Stem produces the potatoess Potatoes that grow on the surface turn green, so increasing the soil depth helpsas has been said.Earth up and cover the leaves is frost is forecast, as that will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. miraflores

why do we graft?

Please. Definitely not boring :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. dave dee

why do onions bolt early?

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will pass the thread on to my friend and let him decide what action to take to prevent this happening. Maybe I will try the seed option rather than using sets...
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I will pass the thread on to my friend and let him decide what action to take to prevent this happening. Maybe I will try the seed option rather than using sets next year & see how they do.... Cheers Dave.
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I will pass the thread on to my friend and let him decide what action to take to prevent this happening. Maybe I will try the seed option rather than using sets next year & see how they do.... Cheers Dave.
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I will pass the thread on to my friend and let him decide what action to take to prevent this happening. Maybe I will try the seed option rather than using sets...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice