1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Arlandria
    Like x 4

Arlandria's Long-Term Garden Renovation Thread

I've bought from David Austin before and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'd have persuaded my husband to spend that on an impulse purchase 8 years ago! Pretty sure it didn't come in a branded pot...
    I've bought from David Austin before and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'd have persuaded my husband to spend that on an impulse purchase 8 years ago! Pretty sure it didn't come in a branded pot either which I know they do (these days at least). Never know though!Ooh thank you - I'll pop...
    I've bought from David Austin before and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'd have persuaded my husband to spend that on an impulse purchase 8 years ago! Pretty sure it didn't come in a branded pot either which I know they do (these days at least)....
    I've bought from David Austin before and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'd have persuaded my husband to spend that on an impulse purchase 8 years ago! Pretty sure it didn't come in a branded pot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Lolimac
    Like x 11

Rose Parterre...

Oh that's sad, my son kept chickens but the fox got them all. There is something lovely seeing chickens roaming free.
    Oh that's sad, my son kept chickens but the fox got them all. There is something lovely seeing chickens roaming free.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4.   » Normal Threads
  5. machtucker

3 years in.. looking for recommendations

Hi! The whole local are here is full of Rhododendrons, in remarkable abundance. I have a camellia and it's growing very well too. I might get another test to confirm. I'll see how it goes.
    Hi! The whole local are here is full of Rhododendrons, in remarkable abundance. I have a camellia and it's growing very well too. I might get another test to confirm. I'll see how it goes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sogni verdi

Front Garden Project

I like your design @Sogni verdi and am pleased to see those grasses in your plan! Your Phormiums may need a bit more space as they expand, but they can easily be divided. If that’s a Cordyline in...
    I like your design @Sogni verdi and am pleased to see those grasses in your plan! Your Phormiums may need a bit more space as they expand, but they can easily be divided. If that’s a Cordyline in the middle, beware, they can suffer in severe winters and look a bit tatty. A dwarf pampas grass may...
    I like your design @Sogni verdi and am pleased to see those grasses in your plan! Your Phormiums may need a bit more space as they expand, but they can easily be divided. If that’s a Cordyline in the middle, beware, they can suffer in severe...
    I like your design @Sogni verdi and am pleased to see those grasses in your plan! Your Phormiums may need a bit more space as they expand, but they can easily be divided. If that’s a Cordyline in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. o-Riverside-o

Making a small gravel circle under firepit

No worries! Thanks so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. Off to B&Q tomorrow then. Happy gardening!
    No worries! Thanks so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. Off to B&Q tomorrow then. Happy gardening!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. BenCotto
    Like x 5

A suggestion for your next project, and for a future generation

Really amcGeorge? I would be fascinated to find out all the things that people were eating who lived in my house in 1832. I would also like to know what those things cost, what their house looked...
    Really amcGeorge? I would be fascinated to find out all the things that people were eating who lived in my house in 1832. I would also like to know what those things cost, what their house looked like, what jobs they did and their life stories. I would read with great interest a snapshot of a...
    Really amcGeorge? I would be fascinated to find out all the things that people were eating who lived in my house in 1832. I would also like to know what those things cost, what their house looked like, what jobs they did and their life stories. I...
    Really amcGeorge? I would be fascinated to find out all the things that people were eating who lived in my house in 1832. I would also like to know what those things cost, what their house looked...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. LunarSea

Anyone seen these dog-leg fence posts for sale?

Oh dear @LunarSea - not quite what I meant :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Dant27

How to tackle this east facing patch

Not sure my wife would speak to me again if she saw the price of that!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. psionman

Should I use membrane under pebbles

Thanks all - given me some ideas for the way to progressI'll let you know in a couple of years
    Thanks all - given me some ideas for the way to progressI'll let you know in a couple of years
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Sian in Belgium

garden restoration - when to prune/hack back questions

Thank you @Bear1 . Yes, I don't like conifers either, so an excuse to replace it with a native mixed hedge would be good. The soil is very good, and topped up regularly with fresh goodness from...
    Thank you @Bear1 . Yes, I don't like conifers either, so an excuse to replace it with a native mixed hedge would be good. The soil is very good, and topped up regularly with fresh goodness from the river at least once a year... There are loads of local apple trees (but mainly cider types) as...
    Thank you @Bear1 . Yes, I don't like conifers either, so an excuse to replace it with a native mixed hedge would be good. The soil is very good, and topped up regularly with fresh goodness from the river at least once a year... There are loads of...
    Thank you @Bear1 . Yes, I don't like conifers either, so an excuse to replace it with a native mixed hedge would be good. The soil is very good, and topped up regularly with fresh goodness from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Balc

Square Foot gardening

This worked very successfully when I was teaching....Foundation stage. We set up garden area with paving slabs in a chequerboard pattern so that they could stand on slabs to tend the areas around...
    This worked very successfully when I was teaching....Foundation stage. We set up garden area with paving slabs in a chequerboard pattern so that they could stand on slabs to tend the areas around them. Led to germination, in verandah area, pricking out, planting out, watering, weeding...and...
    This worked very successfully when I was teaching....Foundation stage. We set up garden area with paving slabs in a chequerboard pattern so that they could stand on slabs to tend the areas around them. Led to germination, in verandah area,...
    This worked very successfully when I was teaching....Foundation stage. We set up garden area with paving slabs in a chequerboard pattern so that they could stand on slabs to tend the areas around...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. hi2u_uk

not much soil what to plant

Chaenorhinum origanifolium 'Blue Dream'
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fof
    Like x 4

I don't know if this work. Nah! Of course it will!!

Just checked my records. 4 plants, 3 varieties Hedychium gardnerianium x 2 H. coronarium H. densiflorum ‘Assam Orange’ The H. coronarium is a lot smaller than the others as that is a replacement...
    Just checked my records. 4 plants, 3 varieties Hedychium gardnerianium x 2 H. coronarium H. densiflorum ‘Assam Orange’ The H. coronarium is a lot smaller than the others as that is a replacement for one that failed, for some reason.
    Just checked my records. 4 plants, 3 varieties Hedychium gardnerianium x 2 H. coronarium H. densiflorum ‘Assam Orange’ The H. coronarium is a lot smaller than the others as that is a replacement for one that failed, for some reason.
    Just checked my records. 4 plants, 3 varieties Hedychium gardnerianium x 2 H. coronarium H. densiflorum ‘Assam Orange’ The H. coronarium is a lot smaller than the others as that is a replacement...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Dugie
    Like x 4

Garden Build, Work in Progress - New to Gardening

Tidied up the summer house and put the lights on for the first time in..... well, what seems forever. Lovely quiet evening.There is a plant in there, A Peace Lily which loves the heat!
    Tidied up the summer house and put the lights on for the first time in..... well, what seems forever. Lovely quiet evening.There is a plant in there, A Peace Lily which loves the heat!
    20230508_165619.jpg 20230508_165635.jpg 20230513_132142.jpg 20230513_132152.jpg 20230513_151850.jpg 20230513_151858.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ChrisIB

Best approach to adding a few steps

Sounds like you will be OK if you done tiling and that sort of thing. It just needs a little preparation. Get levels right and a slight slope off the steps to throw off rain.
    Sounds like you will be OK if you done tiling and that sort of thing. It just needs a little preparation. Get levels right and a slight slope off the steps to throw off rain.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Billi

Communal food planter sinking?

As just added to the above, don't add too much more compost, a few long gentle waterings should restore things.Dried out compost can be difficult to re-wet so you could could add a couple of...
    As just added to the above, don't add too much more compost, a few long gentle waterings should restore things.Dried out compost can be difficult to re-wet so you could could add a couple of drops of washing up liquid to each watering can as that helps the water soak in more, don't overdo the...
    As just added to the above, don't add too much more compost, a few long gentle waterings should restore things.Dried out compost can be difficult to re-wet so you could could add a couple of drops of washing up liquid to each watering can as...
    As just added to the above, don't add too much more compost, a few long gentle waterings should restore things.Dried out compost can be difficult to re-wet so you could could add a couple of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. saab9002

Warning, shed roof felt.

I was told that the tubular things in the trees were for detecting dormice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. GpeeWs

Advise to level garden

Wouldn't it be easier to build raised gardens along the fence line and then dig out some of the higher area and deposit in the raised beds? You could have just one long step along the patio to...
    Wouldn't it be easier to build raised gardens along the fence line and then dig out some of the higher area and deposit in the raised beds? You could have just one long step along the patio to step down to the new grade?
    Wouldn't it be easier to build raised gardens along the fence line and then dig out some of the higher area and deposit in the raised beds? You could have just one long step along the patio to step down to the new grade?
    Wouldn't it be easier to build raised gardens along the fence line and then dig out some of the higher area and deposit in the raised beds? You could have just one long step along the patio to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Black Dog
    Like x 5

Trampoline and Garden Peek

Thanks for the idea, but I think I'll pass when it comes to ponds. We have a large drainage ditch and a water reservoir 20 meters away, and our demand for mosquitoes is already met a few times...
    Thanks for the idea, but I think I'll pass when it comes to ponds. We have a large drainage ditch and a water reservoir 20 meters away, and our demand for mosquitoes is already met a few times over.Additionally half of our porch once was a giant pond before the previous owner realised the same...
    Thanks for the idea, but I think I'll pass when it comes to ponds. We have a large drainage ditch and a water reservoir 20 meters away, and our demand for mosquitoes is already met a few times over.Additionally half of our porch once was a...
    Thanks for the idea, but I think I'll pass when it comes to ponds. We have a large drainage ditch and a water reservoir 20 meters away, and our demand for mosquitoes is already met a few times...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Ali54701

Garden refurb idea

Hello Ali, welcome to GC. You've got the potential there to make a nice little garden! Definitely go with weed-suppressing membrane. It comes in brown as well as green, which makes it useful...
    Hello Ali, welcome to GC. You've got the potential there to make a nice little garden! Definitely go with weed-suppressing membrane. It comes in brown as well as green, which makes it useful for covering a cleared, dug area which you then plant with easy maintenance shrubs. As long as the...
    Hello Ali, welcome to GC. You've got the potential there to make a nice little garden! Definitely go with weed-suppressing membrane. It comes in brown as well as green, which makes it useful for covering a cleared, dug area which you then...
    Hello Ali, welcome to GC. You've got the potential there to make a nice little garden! Definitely go with weed-suppressing membrane. It comes in brown as well as green, which makes it useful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. ChrisIB

Advice needed on problem garden

A wonderful problem garden to have, so much more interesting than a flat square of grass. :)Do you have a must-have and nice-to-have lists? It's essential that any must-haves have a place (BBQ,...
    A wonderful problem garden to have, so much more interesting than a flat square of grass. :)Do you have a must-have and nice-to-have lists? It's essential that any must-haves have a place (BBQ, trampoline, bins, veg patch, football area...).Do you have a style in mind? The gravel patio would...
    A wonderful problem garden to have, so much more interesting than a flat square of grass. :)Do you have a must-have and nice-to-have lists? It's essential that any must-haves have a place (BBQ, trampoline, bins, veg patch, football area...).Do...
    A wonderful problem garden to have, so much more interesting than a flat square of grass. :)Do you have a must-have and nice-to-have lists? It's essential that any must-haves have a place (BBQ,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Danny30
    Like x 3

New Garden Project

Improving now with a lot more colour.
    upload_2023-3-31_17-26-44.jpeg IMG_20230613_121142630_HDR.jpg IMG_20230613_121148647_HDR.jpg IMG_20230613_121202003_HDR.jpg IMG_20230613_121330901.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice