1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: What are we doing in the garden 2024 KayJ, Apr 25, 2024 at 3:21 PM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Which soil improver? fairygirl, Apr 24, 2024 at 7:27 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 flounder, Apr 4, 2024
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best tool for trimming edges of lawn amancalledgeorge, Apr 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water flounder, Mar 31, 2024
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Oh Dear! Goldenlily26, Apr 25, 2024 at 8:39 AM
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Nickoslesteros

Magnolia woes

Agree looks like frost damage as I am quite familiar with the issue:frown:.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. aspadora

Is my Salix Integra doing ok?

fair enough, I will go look for some stakes then! Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Nickoslesteros

Heirloom apples

National Trust properties often have apple days in Autumn where you may be able to ask for advice and try different varieties.
    National Trust properties often have apple days in Autumn where you may be able to ask for advice and try different varieties.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Nickoslesteros

My fatsia has started to look sad

The seeds are a bit of a pain frankly. They are produced in the thousands, scatter over a wide area, and stain clothes indelibly ... as I know to my cost. :th scifD36: The pigeons occasionally gobble a few,...
    The seeds are a bit of a pain frankly. They are produced in the thousands, scatter over a wide area, and stain clothes indelibly ... as I know to my cost. :th scifD36: The pigeons occasionally gobble a few, but most birds don't seem to like them. Not sure why as they are juicy and available at a time of...
    The seeds are a bit of a pain frankly. They are produced in the thousands, scatter over a wide area, and stain clothes indelibly ... as I know to my cost. :th scifD36: The pigeons occasionally gobble a few, but most birds don't seem to like them. Not sure...
    The seeds are a bit of a pain frankly. They are produced in the thousands, scatter over a wide area, and stain clothes indelibly ... as I know to my cost. :th scifD36: The pigeons occasionally gobble a few,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Jblakes

Help with Heather's

Compost is no use if they're going to be in a container long term @Jblakes , rather than planted out. You need a soil based medium - and you can buy those in GCs etc. Grit or fine gravel is far...
    Compost is no use if they're going to be in a container long term @Jblakes , rather than planted out. You need a soil based medium - and you can buy those in GCs etc. Grit or fine gravel is far better for drainage - mixed through it. If you know which varieties they are, that helps, because...
    Compost is no use if they're going to be in a container long term @Jblakes , rather than planted out. You need a soil based medium - and you can buy those in GCs etc. Grit or fine gravel is far better for drainage - mixed through it. If you know...
    Compost is no use if they're going to be in a container long term @Jblakes , rather than planted out. You need a soil based medium - and you can buy those in GCs etc. Grit or fine gravel is far...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Carrie Carroll

Flymo Easistore lawnmower and stripes

Brilliant. Thank you Wiseowl and NigelJ! I've just realised, thinking about it, I pull the mower backwards on the return journey so I think the roller might cause a problem there, flattening the...
    Brilliant. Thank you Wiseowl and NigelJ! I've just realised, thinking about it, I pull the mower backwards on the return journey so I think the roller might cause a problem there, flattening the grass so it isn't cut properly! So I guess it could take longer to mow with a roller...I like the...
    Brilliant. Thank you Wiseowl and NigelJ! I've just realised, thinking about it, I pull the mower backwards on the return journey so I think the roller might cause a problem there, flattening the grass so it isn't cut properly! So I guess it could...
    Brilliant. Thank you Wiseowl and NigelJ! I've just realised, thinking about it, I pull the mower backwards on the return journey so I think the roller might cause a problem there, flattening the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. REMF33

Cosmos advice requested

With cosmos I find that after they germinate I wait until the first true leaves are growing well .I then prick out into small pots .soon as they are four inch I nip out the growing tip (just the...
    With cosmos I find that after they germinate I wait until the first true leaves are growing well .I then prick out into small pots .soon as they are four inch I nip out the growing tip (just the middle bit ) I then continue to grow on in this pot and repeatedly nip out the centre grow point.the...
    With cosmos I find that after they germinate I wait until the first true leaves are growing well .I then prick out into small pots .soon as they are four inch I nip out the growing tip (just the middle bit ) I then continue to grow on in this...
    With cosmos I find that after they germinate I wait until the first true leaves are growing well .I then prick out into small pots .soon as they are four inch I nip out the growing tip (just the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. hi2u_uk

Gaultheria Procumbens

I grow them. Some in cattle drinking bowls, others in troughs and one in the Alpine house. I buy ph6 soil locally from a gravel/topsoil/sand merchant. I don't grow them in my ordinary soil in the...
    I grow them. Some in cattle drinking bowls, others in troughs and one in the Alpine house. I buy ph6 soil locally from a gravel/topsoil/sand merchant. I don't grow them in my ordinary soil in the garden because it's not acidic. Fabulous plant with its mini golf balls.
    I grow them. Some in cattle drinking bowls, others in troughs and one in the Alpine house. I buy ph6 soil locally from a gravel/topsoil/sand merchant. I don't grow them in my ordinary soil in the garden because it's not acidic. Fabulous plant...
    I grow them. Some in cattle drinking bowls, others in troughs and one in the Alpine house. I buy ph6 soil locally from a gravel/topsoil/sand merchant. I don't grow them in my ordinary soil in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. AuntyRach

Ideas for West-facing area in dappled shade.

Bear in mind that some Pieris are also variegated, so you get everything there. I have a fairly new, small one here, and they're certainly popular up here I wasn't sure if it was evergreen you...
    Bear in mind that some Pieris are also variegated, so you get everything there. I have a fairly new, small one here, and they're certainly popular up here I wasn't sure if it was evergreen you wanted too, or if it didn't matter. Choysias could also be good.I meant to ask though - what was...
    Bear in mind that some Pieris are also variegated, so you get everything there. I have a fairly new, small one here, and they're certainly popular up here I wasn't sure if it was evergreen you wanted too, or if it didn't matter. Choysias...
    Bear in mind that some Pieris are also variegated, so you get everything there. I have a fairly new, small one here, and they're certainly popular up here I wasn't sure if it was evergreen you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. BB3

Something weird has happened to my diascia

I wouldn't bin it, as it's not terminal for the plant. it looks strange but plants tend to grow out of it
    I wouldn't bin it, as it's not terminal for the plant. it looks strange but plants tend to grow out of it
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. BB3

Should I let my plug plants flower?

It'll also depend on the size of the plugs - some are tiny, so just check that what you pot them into is a suitable size. It can be a mistake to over pot if they're really small. If you have any...
    It'll also depend on the size of the plugs - some are tiny, so just check that what you pot them into is a suitable size. It can be a mistake to over pot if they're really small. If you have any spent compost from last year's annuals, that can be ideal for small plants.
    It'll also depend on the size of the plugs - some are tiny, so just check that what you pot them into is a suitable size. It can be a mistake to over pot if they're really small. If you have any spent compost from last year's annuals, that can be...
    It'll also depend on the size of the plugs - some are tiny, so just check that what you pot them into is a suitable size. It can be a mistake to over pot if they're really small. If you have any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. glosmike

Compost for a parlour palm ?

Yes, house plant for sure and nothing too special compost wise. Mine below is about 7ft away from a north facing window, so gets lowish light and no direct sun whatsoever.
    Yes, house plant for sure and nothing too special compost wise. Mine below is about 7ft away from a north facing window, so gets lowish light and no direct sun whatsoever.
    IMG_20221105_094708_HDR.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Butterfly6

Agapanthus -best online supplier

No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with...
    No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with pelargoniums and osteospermums. The climate is pretty maritime down here. Even lobelia often survive in the...
    No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with pelargoniums and osteospermums. The climate is pretty...
    No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. GaryK

Ideas for a small rockery border

Hi @GaryK - what you have isn't really a rockery [which is a quite different thing altogether] but is some rocks in a small border, so you can simply fit in some small plants/bulbs, as @AuntyRach...
    Hi @GaryK - what you have isn't really a rockery [which is a quite different thing altogether] but is some rocks in a small border, so you can simply fit in some small plants/bulbs, as @AuntyRach says. What you choose will depend on your location, climate and the soil, as well as the aspect of...
    Hi @GaryK - what you have isn't really a rockery [which is a quite different thing altogether] but is some rocks in a small border, so you can simply fit in some small plants/bulbs, as @AuntyRach says. What you choose will depend on your...
    Hi @GaryK - what you have isn't really a rockery [which is a quite different thing altogether] but is some rocks in a small border, so you can simply fit in some small plants/bulbs, as @AuntyRach...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Spruce

Issai Hardy Kiwi Plant

That is fantastic, On the Levels.But, 15+ years does seem to be an excessively long time to wait for fruit. Maybe I will try to speed up the process by grafting it next year.
    That is fantastic, On the Levels.But, 15+ years does seem to be an excessively long time to wait for fruit. Maybe I will try to speed up the process by grafting it next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Meomye

Antirrhinum recommendations

Yes I do .
    Yes I do .
    Yes I do .
    Yes I do .
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Fat Controller

Gladioli

Thanks @Punkdoc
    Thanks @Punkdoc
    Thanks @Punkdoc
    Thanks @Punkdoc
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Busy-Lizzie

Delta Sarah Fuchsia

It won't like the wet in winter
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. flounder

Hayfever...Pollen Checker

I've been noticing hayfever symptoms intermittently since we had a (relatively) warm dry spell in early-mid February.
    I've been noticing hayfever symptoms intermittently since we had a (relatively) warm dry spell in early-mid February.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. glosmike

Surfinia tubers … will I be able to grow from them ?

Ok almost certainly dahlias then .. I did have some last year ;) Thank you for all your replies !! Ps I’ll be more careful about what tags go in what buckets this year !
    Ok almost certainly dahlias then .. I did have some last year ;) Thank you for all your replies !! Ps I’ll be more careful about what tags go in what buckets this year !
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice