1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: What are we doing in the garden 2024 Plantminded, Apr 19, 2024 at 9:37 PM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best supplier of compost 2024 gks, Apr 17, 2024 at 9:07 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
    Latest: Annuals that slugs and snails dislike BB3, Apr 19, 2024 at 8:17 PM
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 flounder, Apr 4, 2024
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water flounder, Mar 31, 2024
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Got new pullets noisette47, Jul 30, 2023
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. AuntyRach

Ideas for West-facing area in dappled shade.

Bear in mind that some Pieris are also variegated, so you get everything there. I have a fairly new, small one here, and they're certainly popular up here I wasn't sure if it was evergreen you...
    Bear in mind that some Pieris are also variegated, so you get everything there. I have a fairly new, small one here, and they're certainly popular up here I wasn't sure if it was evergreen you wanted too, or if it didn't matter. Choysias could also be good.I meant to ask though - what was...
    Bear in mind that some Pieris are also variegated, so you get everything there. I have a fairly new, small one here, and they're certainly popular up here I wasn't sure if it was evergreen you wanted too, or if it didn't matter. Choysias...
    Bear in mind that some Pieris are also variegated, so you get everything there. I have a fairly new, small one here, and they're certainly popular up here I wasn't sure if it was evergreen you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. REMF33

Cosmos advice requested

I've just sowed a few Xanthos and put them in my unheated porch but it faces south, so I have to be careful. If they don't look good I'll try again in a couple of weeks and leave them outside.
    I've just sowed a few Xanthos and put them in my unheated porch but it faces south, so I have to be careful. If they don't look good I'll try again in a couple of weeks and leave them outside.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Nickoslesteros

My fatsia has started to look sad

My Fatsia looks a bit brown but I need to give it a cut as it blocks the view down the garden.
    My Fatsia looks a bit brown but I need to give it a cut as it blocks the view down the garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. BB3

Something weird has happened to my diascia

I wouldn't bin it, as it's not terminal for the plant. it looks strange but plants tend to grow out of it
    I wouldn't bin it, as it's not terminal for the plant. it looks strange but plants tend to grow out of it
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. glosmike

Compost for a parlour palm ?

Yes, house plant for sure and nothing too special compost wise. Mine below is about 7ft away from a north facing window, so gets lowish light and no direct sun whatsoever.
    Yes, house plant for sure and nothing too special compost wise. Mine below is about 7ft away from a north facing window, so gets lowish light and no direct sun whatsoever.
    IMG_20221105_094708_HDR.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. GaryK

Ideas for a small rockery border

Hi @GaryK - what you have isn't really a rockery [which is a quite different thing altogether] but is some rocks in a small border, so you can simply fit in some small plants/bulbs, as @AuntyRach...
    Hi @GaryK - what you have isn't really a rockery [which is a quite different thing altogether] but is some rocks in a small border, so you can simply fit in some small plants/bulbs, as @AuntyRach says. What you choose will depend on your location, climate and the soil, as well as the aspect of...
    Hi @GaryK - what you have isn't really a rockery [which is a quite different thing altogether] but is some rocks in a small border, so you can simply fit in some small plants/bulbs, as @AuntyRach says. What you choose will depend on your...
    Hi @GaryK - what you have isn't really a rockery [which is a quite different thing altogether] but is some rocks in a small border, so you can simply fit in some small plants/bulbs, as @AuntyRach...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. BB3

Should I let my plug plants flower?

It'll also depend on the size of the plugs - some are tiny, so just check that what you pot them into is a suitable size. It can be a mistake to over pot if they're really small. If you have any...
    It'll also depend on the size of the plugs - some are tiny, so just check that what you pot them into is a suitable size. It can be a mistake to over pot if they're really small. If you have any spent compost from last year's annuals, that can be ideal for small plants.
    It'll also depend on the size of the plugs - some are tiny, so just check that what you pot them into is a suitable size. It can be a mistake to over pot if they're really small. If you have any spent compost from last year's annuals, that can be...
    It'll also depend on the size of the plugs - some are tiny, so just check that what you pot them into is a suitable size. It can be a mistake to over pot if they're really small. If you have any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Meomye

Antirrhinum recommendations

Yes I do .
    Yes I do .
    Yes I do .
    Yes I do .
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Busy-Lizzie

Delta Sarah Fuchsia

It won't like the wet in winter
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. flounder

Hayfever...Pollen Checker

I've been noticing hayfever symptoms intermittently since we had a (relatively) warm dry spell in early-mid February.
    I've been noticing hayfever symptoms intermittently since we had a (relatively) warm dry spell in early-mid February.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Butterfly6

Agapanthus -best online supplier

No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with...
    No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with pelargoniums and osteospermums. The climate is pretty maritime down here. Even lobelia often survive in the...
    No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with pelargoniums and osteospermums. The climate is pretty...
    No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. glosmike

Surfinia tubers … will I be able to grow from them ?

Ok almost certainly dahlias then .. I did have some last year ;) Thank you for all your replies !! Ps I’ll be more careful about what tags go in what buckets this year !
    Ok almost certainly dahlias then .. I did have some last year ;) Thank you for all your replies !! Ps I’ll be more careful about what tags go in what buckets this year !
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. hi2u_uk

Gaultheria Procumbens

I think if your soil isn't suited, you either have to forget about them, or do the usual method of growing in a container of some kind where you can dictate the growing medium. It would be the...
    I think if your soil isn't suited, you either have to forget about them, or do the usual method of growing in a container of some kind where you can dictate the growing medium. It would be the same as me trying to grow something that needs quite alkaline soil and really sharp drainage, which...
    I think if your soil isn't suited, you either have to forget about them, or do the usual method of growing in a container of some kind where you can dictate the growing medium. It would be the same as me trying to grow something that needs quite...
    I think if your soil isn't suited, you either have to forget about them, or do the usual method of growing in a container of some kind where you can dictate the growing medium. It would be the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Simon Peake

Weed.?

Yes, I do get both but the white are few and far between. A bit like Honesty, I love the white one but always get far more of the purple
    Yes, I do get both but the white are few and far between. A bit like Honesty, I love the white one but always get far more of the purple
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fat Controller

2-tier trough planter?

I could have given you one @Fat Controller - but you're a bit far away...;) I have a few of the hayrack types, and a couple are slimmer - similar to the ones in @gks 's pic. I got them in one of the...
    I could have given you one @Fat Controller - but you're a bit far away...;) I have a few of the hayrack types, and a couple are slimmer - similar to the ones in @gks 's pic. I got them in one of the cheapo shops -Home Bargains maybe. They're plastic, and still in good shape. Good for anything...
    I could have given you one @Fat Controller - but you're a bit far away...;) I have a few of the hayrack types, and a couple are slimmer - similar to the ones in @gks 's pic. I got them in one of the cheapo shops -Home Bargains maybe. They're...
    I could have given you one @Fat Controller - but you're a bit far away...;) I have a few of the hayrack types, and a couple are slimmer - similar to the ones in @gks 's pic. I got them in one of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. AdrianBg

Alan Titmarsh's trousers

Fourteen year old trousers :yahoo:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. NoviceGardener2023

Suggestions on what to plant here

I'm assuming there's an access road or alleyway between the fence and the wall. That's how l see it anyway :)
    I'm assuming there's an access road or alleyway between the fence and the wall. That's how l see it anyway :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Spruce

Honey used as a rooting agent

I don’t use hormone rooting powder but I might give the honey and cinnamon a trial
    I don’t use hormone rooting powder but I might give the honey and cinnamon a trial
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Tangsoodo

West wall ideas please

With clematis, it's a case of picking the right type, and it might be a bit dry for the larger flowered ones, but the early ones would be fine. Roses might find it a bit dry too, but it would...
    With clematis, it's a case of picking the right type, and it might be a bit dry for the larger flowered ones, but the early ones would be fine. Roses might find it a bit dry too, but it would depend on the condition of the soil and the care you give them. It's the initial prep and watering/food...
    With clematis, it's a case of picking the right type, and it might be a bit dry for the larger flowered ones, but the early ones would be fine. Roses might find it a bit dry too, but it would depend on the condition of the soil and the care you...
    With clematis, it's a case of picking the right type, and it might be a bit dry for the larger flowered ones, but the early ones would be fine. Roses might find it a bit dry too, but it would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. DaveyB

Ideas on what we can add to the front garden

I got a few plants yesterday we pulled up the dead plants & have brought out a few big pots we had spare in the back garden.We got a berberis starburst but couldn't find the one recommend &...
    I got a few plants yesterday we pulled up the dead plants & have brought out a few big pots we had spare in the back garden.We got a berberis starburst but couldn't find the one recommend & penstemon laura + another penstemon but I can't remember the name as I'm out atm. We also picked up a...
    I got a few plants yesterday we pulled up the dead plants & have brought out a few big pots we had spare in the back garden.We got a berberis starburst but couldn't find the one recommend & penstemon laura + another penstemon but I can't...
    I got a few plants yesterday we pulled up the dead plants & have brought out a few big pots we had spare in the back garden.We got a berberis starburst but couldn't find the one recommend &...
    IMG_20240324_172421.jpg IMG_20240324_172432.jpg IMG_20240331_151546.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice