Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: What's looking good MARCH 2024 Chicky, Mar 28, 2024 at 9:24 AM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Slow and steady - Beginner :-) Panda2, Mar 28, 2024 at 10:06 AM
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Irrigation system Fat Controller, Mar 24, 2024 at 8:47 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Seed sowing 2024 JWK, Mar 24, 2024 at 9:29 PM
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Got new pullets noisette47, Jul 30, 2023
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. TheMadHedger

Removing bramble roots ........ the easy way?

I bought mine during lockdown, but struggled with it at first. The head kept coming loose from the handle, despite all the instructions that came with it, and I didn’t want to risk splitting the...
    I bought mine during lockdown, but struggled with it at first. The head kept coming loose from the handle, despite all the instructions that came with it, and I didn’t want to risk splitting the wood handle by putting a nail in it ( actually I would have got OH to do that)Although I could see...
    I bought mine during lockdown, but struggled with it at first. The head kept coming loose from the handle, despite all the instructions that came with it, and I didn’t want to risk splitting the wood handle by putting a nail in it ( actually I...
    I bought mine during lockdown, but struggled with it at first. The head kept coming loose from the handle, despite all the instructions that came with it, and I didn’t want to risk splitting the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. BiroPen

Potted lonicera nitida, best way to save it

I've grown them in pots and I've grown them in the ground, and, honestly, they are much happier in the ground. You can keep them smallish as they don't mind being pruned. If you want to keep one...
    I've grown them in pots and I've grown them in the ground, and, honestly, they are much happier in the ground. You can keep them smallish as they don't mind being pruned. If you want to keep one in a pot, I would start a new one from a cutting every few yrs. That way you can always have a...
    I've grown them in pots and I've grown them in the ground, and, honestly, they are much happier in the ground. You can keep them smallish as they don't mind being pruned. If you want to keep one in a pot, I would start a new one from a cutting...
    I've grown them in pots and I've grown them in the ground, and, honestly, they are much happier in the ground. You can keep them smallish as they don't mind being pruned. If you want to keep one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. BB3
    Like x 7

Just experimenting

I overwintering my osteospermum and knew I should cut them back but I just couldn't do it! They've never stopped flowering since last summer
    I overwintering my osteospermum and knew I should cut them back but I just couldn't do it! They've never stopped flowering since last summer
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. TheMadHedger

Honeysuckle - any recommendations of a good place to buy online please?

I haven't, no, but will do so. Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Bear1

White spider lilly

I grew some last year for the first time...the temptation of a heavily discounted bag of them was too much to ignoreI kept them in the pot but got a bit too wet early on in the autumn so may...
    I grew some last year for the first time...the temptation of a heavily discounted bag of them was too much to ignoreI kept them in the pot but got a bit too wet early on in the autumn so may have rotted...will investigate soon. Here's a shot of the first flower that opened late June
    I grew some last year for the first time...the temptation of a heavily discounted bag of them was too much to ignoreI kept them in the pot but got a bit too wet early on in the autumn so may have rotted...will investigate soon. Here's a shot of...
    I grew some last year for the first time...the temptation of a heavily discounted bag of them was too much to ignoreI kept them in the pot but got a bit too wet early on in the autumn so may...
    20240314_112717.jpg PXL_20230619_102438885.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Bear1
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Brian L

Macallister Mower Owner's Instruction manual wanted

Many thanks Infradig, very helpful information. Already have the air-filter and spark plug, just waiting to get started and see if it goes ! I had been in contact with B&Q and still on going but...
    Many thanks Infradig, very helpful information. Already have the air-filter and spark plug, just waiting to get started and see if it goes ! I had been in contact with B&Q and still on going but doubt they will bother to help.
    Many thanks Infradig, very helpful information. Already have the air-filter and spark plug, just waiting to get started and see if it goes ! I had been in contact with B&Q and still on going but doubt they will bother to help.
    Many thanks Infradig, very helpful information. Already have the air-filter and spark plug, just waiting to get started and see if it goes ! I had been in contact with B&Q and still on going but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Sam Wiltshire

What to do with narrow borders

What sort of climbers have you got? Some will need support to climb.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Esoxlucius

Photinia, little red robin.

Its probably green because its indoors and the light level are too low, if it was red last year I cant see why it shouldn't be red this year but your picture is in May.I'm looking at a 8ft high...
    Its probably green because its indoors and the light level are too low, if it was red last year I cant see why it shouldn't be red this year but your picture is in May.I'm looking at a 8ft high hedge over the road from me and its covered in new red shoots.
    Its probably green because its indoors and the light level are too low, if it was red last year I cant see why it shouldn't be red this year but your picture is in May.I'm looking at a 8ft high hedge over the road from me and its covered in new...
    Its probably green because its indoors and the light level are too low, if it was red last year I cant see why it shouldn't be red this year but your picture is in May.I'm looking at a 8ft high...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Mikey1970.

Identify plant please

Thank you. I love the colour...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Kevin Cowans

How to Propagate Plants when I have no Room for Cold Frame etc.

You don't anything extra for Heucheras or Hellebores. Just pull bits off the heucheras and pot them up, and they'll root very quickly. You could even do it at this time of year. Hellebores will...
    You don't anything extra for Heucheras or Hellebores. Just pull bits off the heucheras and pot them up, and they'll root very quickly. You could even do it at this time of year. Hellebores will seed around so you can pot them up and just leave the pots somewhere sheltered until they grow enough...
    You don't anything extra for Heucheras or Hellebores. Just pull bits off the heucheras and pot them up, and they'll root very quickly. You could even do it at this time of year. Hellebores will seed around so you can pot them up and just leave...
    You don't anything extra for Heucheras or Hellebores. Just pull bits off the heucheras and pot them up, and they'll root very quickly. You could even do it at this time of year. Hellebores will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Mike Allen
    Like x 3

Why so much interest in tomatoe, and peppers growing?

There are quite a few edible flowers that you could grow, and many herbs have 'interesting' flowers that not only give colour to your veg patch but also attract pollinaters who will visit your...
    There are quite a few edible flowers that you could grow, and many herbs have 'interesting' flowers that not only give colour to your veg patch but also attract pollinaters who will visit your flowering veg to mutual advantage.
    There are quite a few edible flowers that you could grow, and many herbs have 'interesting' flowers that not only give colour to your veg patch but also attract pollinaters who will visit your flowering veg to mutual advantage.
    There are quite a few edible flowers that you could grow, and many herbs have 'interesting' flowers that not only give colour to your veg patch but also attract pollinaters who will visit your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. OneOfManyLondoners

Will it live

Much appreciated kind folk
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Spruce

long handled secateurs

Personally, I'd avoid the Lidl long-arm pruner if it crops up. The first time I've bought any of their gardening stuff that fell apart after using a couple of times. I've got a couple of very old...
    Personally, I'd avoid the Lidl long-arm pruner if it crops up. The first time I've bought any of their gardening stuff that fell apart after using a couple of times. I've got a couple of very old pull-cord types which are invaluable for fruit or general tree pruning. Have had two pairs of...
    Personally, I'd avoid the Lidl long-arm pruner if it crops up. The first time I've bought any of their gardening stuff that fell apart after using a couple of times. I've got a couple of very old pull-cord types which are invaluable for fruit or...
    Personally, I'd avoid the Lidl long-arm pruner if it crops up. The first time I've bought any of their gardening stuff that fell apart after using a couple of times. I've got a couple of very old...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Esoxlucius

Misting bottles.

I use a litre tesco branded empty bottle and its great. Feels quite sturdy and you can adjust the spray nozzle which screws to different finenesses.The smaller one is pretty flimsy though.
    I use a litre tesco branded empty bottle and its great. Feels quite sturdy and you can adjust the spray nozzle which screws to different finenesses.The smaller one is pretty flimsy though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Esoxlucius

Spider mites

When our Fuchsias were that infected we used a typical spray like BugClear Ultra to knock them out, though the plant will probably look miserable for some weeks.Once done, to catch any...
    When our Fuchsias were that infected we used a typical spray like BugClear Ultra to knock them out, though the plant will probably look miserable for some weeks.Once done, to catch any hatchlings as @pete mentions, we treated all plants with a weekly spray of a natural product like SB...
    When our Fuchsias were that infected we used a typical spray like BugClear Ultra to knock them out, though the plant will probably look miserable for some weeks.Once done, to catch any hatchlings as @pete mentions, we treated all plants with a...
    When our Fuchsias were that infected we used a typical spray like BugClear Ultra to knock them out, though the plant will probably look miserable for some weeks.Once done, to catch any...
    001940.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. OneOfManyLondoners

Green bladed plants

Ok, if you don't want to go down the blowing stuff up route, I've had good results using a pruning saw. It's narrow blade can get in between gaps. It takes a bit of effort, but bit by bit you'll...
    Ok, if you don't want to go down the blowing stuff up route, I've had good results using a pruning saw. It's narrow blade can get in between gaps. It takes a bit of effort, but bit by bit you'll dig it out.
    Ok, if you don't want to go down the blowing stuff up route, I've had good results using a pruning saw. It's narrow blade can get in between gaps. It takes a bit of effort, but bit by bit you'll dig it out.
    Ok, if you don't want to go down the blowing stuff up route, I've had good results using a pruning saw. It's narrow blade can get in between gaps. It takes a bit of effort, but bit by bit you'll...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. nightofjoy

Short-ish cut flowers from garden to vase

I tend not to pick anything out, generally, I usually plant a couple of seeds into something like a yogurt pot sized pot and let them crack on. Usually does OK.
    I tend not to pick anything out, generally, I usually plant a couple of seeds into something like a yogurt pot sized pot and let them crack on. Usually does OK.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Simon Peake

Tree query and weed.?

Your weed is probably this.....Pellitory-of-the-wall | The Wildlife Trusts
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Dugie

Common Lantana - Winter

Might be worth wearing gloves? They can be quite irritating to the skin.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice