Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: What are we doing in the garden 2024 Mrs. B., Mar 28, 2024 at 4:30 PM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Slow and steady - Beginner :-) AnniD, Mar 28, 2024 at 10:30 AM
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Irrigation system Fat Controller, Mar 24, 2024 at 8:47 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water pete, Mar 28, 2024 at 11:10 AM
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Got new pullets noisette47, Jul 30, 2023
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. PeterS
    Like x 13

Show us your climbers

I am delighted that my Cobaea seed has germinated ... I had no luck last year whatsoever. This year I plan to plait them in three stem trunks. I love this plant and it loves the sun here. My...
    I am delighted that my Cobaea seed has germinated ... I had no luck last year whatsoever. This year I plan to plait them in three stem trunks. I love this plant and it loves the sun here. My last one I had for several years, went about 5 meters and had lots of fruit ... Old...
    I am delighted that my Cobaea seed has germinated ... I had no luck last year whatsoever. This year I plan to plait them in three stem trunks. I love this plant and it loves the sun here. My last one I had for several years, went about 5...
    I am delighted that my Cobaea seed has germinated ... I had no luck last year whatsoever. This year I plan to plait them in three stem trunks. I love this plant and it loves the sun here. My...
    2012_08130020.JPG 2012_08130014.JPG 2012_08130018.JPG Aug 12 282.jpg Aug 12 287.jpg Aug 12 288.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Jungle Jane

Restoring a Privet Hedge

Wash your mouth out! :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Greecko

Alpine Strawberries

They'll more or less last forever and spread quite rapidly. We started with one small patch in a fairly shady and wild area of the garden but they now pop up all over the place due to birds...
    They'll more or less last forever and spread quite rapidly. We started with one small patch in a fairly shady and wild area of the garden but they now pop up all over the place due to birds dropping seeds.
    They'll more or less last forever and spread quite rapidly. We started with one small patch in a fairly shady and wild area of the garden but they now pop up all over the place due to birds dropping seeds.
    They'll more or less last forever and spread quite rapidly. We started with one small patch in a fairly shady and wild area of the garden but they now pop up all over the place due to birds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. kyleleonard

Planting Snowdrops bulbs in December

Update: We have life! Some of them are showing their heads! Fingers crossed they continue to thrive.
    Update: We have life! Some of them are showing their heads! Fingers crossed they continue to thrive.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. rustyroots

Grit, perlite or vermiculite.

Think you'll need the grit for your paths, guys :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sirius
    Like x 3

Unusual Bulbs

Sal - try something sensible to start with...................
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Fat Boy

Any Recommendations for Automatic Irrigation Systems for p/t, please?

Yes, it's one of those things that needs to work well but not of Heath Robinson style!
    Yes, it's one of those things that needs to work well but not of Heath Robinson style!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. kyleleonard

Can you prune in min-January?

Good morning the answer to your question is in a very mild winter Yes,but I would respectfully suggest that you wait until mid FEB/March until you prune it is to cold and frosty now and will...
    Good morning the answer to your question is in a very mild winter Yes,but I would respectfully suggest that you wait until mid FEB/March until you prune it is to cold and frosty now and will damage your Roses:) This Link might be of some help to you:)
    Good morning the answer to your question is in a very mild winter Yes,but I would respectfully suggest that you wait until mid FEB/March until you prune it is to cold and frosty now and will damage your Roses:) This Link might be of some help to you:)
    Good morning the answer to your question is in a very mild winter Yes,but I would respectfully suggest that you wait until mid FEB/March until you prune it is to cold and frosty now and will...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. "M"

Are there plants that would combat waterlogging?

Willow? I think you need to control the wetness somehow; give it a defined edge. How about creating a pond - perhaps with the willow stump island in the middle? Otherwise perhaps you could...
    Willow? I think you need to control the wetness somehow; give it a defined edge. How about creating a pond - perhaps with the willow stump island in the middle? Otherwise perhaps you could give the waterlogged area a border (with the logs) and make a bog garden to the side of a pond (that's...
    Willow? I think you need to control the wetness somehow; give it a defined edge. How about creating a pond - perhaps with the willow stump island in the middle? Otherwise perhaps you could give the waterlogged area a border (with the logs)...
    Willow? I think you need to control the wetness somehow; give it a defined edge. How about creating a pond - perhaps with the willow stump island in the middle? Otherwise perhaps you could...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. kamchow

Soil probe

I bought several from ALDI along with PH testers The moisture ones reckon it is very dry yet the ground is soused I have therefore lost confidence in the PH tester ones :-) The thermometer seems...
    I bought several from ALDI along with PH testers The moisture ones reckon it is very dry yet the ground is soused I have therefore lost confidence in the PH tester ones :-) The thermometer seems correct though, only that is glass thermomenter encased in an aliminium skin even works under your...
    I bought several from ALDI along with PH testers The moisture ones reckon it is very dry yet the ground is soused I have therefore lost confidence in the PH tester ones :-) The thermometer seems correct though, only that is glass thermomenter...
    I bought several from ALDI along with PH testers The moisture ones reckon it is very dry yet the ground is soused I have therefore lost confidence in the PH tester ones :-) The thermometer seems...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. al n
    Like x 7

My boos planted, the £1.50 phormium and the fern in my cheap planters

Yes, CHEAP!!! :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kayleigh

Last Frost?

Apparently mine's the first week of May... But I'm ready now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. miraflores

raspberry cutting advice

i read gem as stem lol
    i read gem as stem lol
    i read gem as stem lol
    i read gem as stem lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Fat Controller

Tree lillies - what to do?

Dunno about the garden centre, I only ever buy packets of Taylors in the garden centre when they have been discounted down to not-very-much, but their mailorder site has than at £1 - £4 each. ...
    Dunno about the garden centre, I only ever buy packets of Taylors in the garden centre when they have been discounted down to not-very-much, but their mailorder site has than at £1 - £4 each. Apart from the martagons, which are always expensive for some reason, the ones on www.angliabulbs.com...
    Dunno about the garden centre, I only ever buy packets of Taylors in the garden centre when they have been discounted down to not-very-much, but their mailorder site has than at £1 - £4 each. Apart from the martagons, which are always expensive...
    Dunno about the garden centre, I only ever buy packets of Taylors in the garden centre when they have been discounted down to not-very-much, but their mailorder site has than at £1 - £4 each. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Cacadores

Natural Box Closhe

Yes, in fact anything will do to slow the winds we get. I've even let the grass grow tall in certain parts. Aside from planting saplings, I'm also trying some faster growing (but obviously less...
    Yes, in fact anything will do to slow the winds we get. I've even let the grass grow tall in certain parts. Aside from planting saplings, I'm also trying some faster growing (but obviously less effective to start with) cuttings I can get hold of such as hibiscus and forsythia, as well as willow....
    Yes, in fact anything will do to slow the winds we get. I've even let the grass grow tall in certain parts. Aside from planting saplings, I'm also trying some faster growing (but obviously less effective to start with) cuttings I can get hold of...
    Yes, in fact anything will do to slow the winds we get. I've even let the grass grow tall in certain parts. Aside from planting saplings, I'm also trying some faster growing (but obviously less...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. landimad

2013 new growth

Eccromocarpus scaber "bursting" back into bloom................ Also spotted during my torchlight inspection were these new shoots emerging on an un-mulched Lobelia tupa..............
    Eccromocarpus scaber "bursting" back into bloom................ Also spotted during my torchlight inspection were these new shoots emerging on an un-mulched Lobelia tupa..............
    snowdrops.JPG snowdrops1.JPG DSC_0147a.jpg DSC_0148a.jpg DSC_0146b.jpg DSC_0146c.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Spruce

Brother P-Touch Garden Labeller

I'm in the club too guys (don't panic - just the P-touch GL200 club) so please add me to the membership list. I love it - except for the waste of "lead-in" tape that is spews out before it starts...
    I'm in the club too guys (don't panic - just the P-touch GL200 club) so please add me to the membership list. I love it - except for the waste of "lead-in" tape that is spews out before it starts your print run :sad:, Jenny
    I'm in the club too guys (don't panic - just the P-touch GL200 club) so please add me to the membership list. I love it - except for the waste of "lead-in" tape that is spews out before it starts your print run :sad:, Jenny
    I'm in the club too guys (don't panic - just the P-touch GL200 club) so please add me to the membership list. I love it - except for the waste of "lead-in" tape that is spews out before it starts...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. volvos60s60

Can I prune an espalier apple tree in winter?

I would advise a winter prune on all apple trees. I run through a little pattern, removing Dead, Damaged, Diseased, and Crossing branches. If you find that you still have many clustered branches...
    I would advise a winter prune on all apple trees. I run through a little pattern, removing Dead, Damaged, Diseased, and Crossing branches. If you find that you still have many clustered branches simply remove them at a node, keeping the cut as small and as clean as possible. As Spruce quite...
    I would advise a winter prune on all apple trees. I run through a little pattern, removing Dead, Damaged, Diseased, and Crossing branches. If you find that you still have many clustered branches simply remove them at a node, keeping the cut as...
    I would advise a winter prune on all apple trees. I run through a little pattern, removing Dead, Damaged, Diseased, and Crossing branches. If you find that you still have many clustered branches...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. jewell
    Like x 3

Overgrown garden, I need help!

On your beds you can use sheets of newspaper topped with bark. It will decompose over time but by then it should be pretty easy to just pull the odd weed or two. Don't use the salt/vinegar except...
    On your beds you can use sheets of newspaper topped with bark. It will decompose over time but by then it should be pretty easy to just pull the odd weed or two. Don't use the salt/vinegar except where you don't want any plants!!
    On your beds you can use sheets of newspaper topped with bark. It will decompose over time but by then it should be pretty easy to just pull the odd weed or two. Don't use the salt/vinegar except where you don't want any plants!!
    On your beds you can use sheets of newspaper topped with bark. It will decompose over time but by then it should be pretty easy to just pull the odd weed or two. Don't use the salt/vinegar except...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Matthew Craven

Did anyone get any gardening goodies for Xmas ?

I got £30 Garden Centre vouchers, a bird box resembling the old buildings in my home town of Northwich, a wood garden ornament and a seed box :dancy::)
    I got £30 Garden Centre vouchers, a bird box resembling the old buildings in my home town of Northwich, a wood garden ornament and a seed box :dancy::)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice