Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: When to Plant Bulbs? NigelJ, Sep 21, 2020 at 1:19 PM
  2. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best Supplier Of Compost 2020 Pushkin, Sep 20, 2020 at 2:44 PM
  3. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
    Latest: What is wrong with my Beans please? shiney, Sep 19, 2020 at 8:49 AM
  4. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
  5. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: hoselock water system Gizmo, Sep 20, 2020 at 10:48 AM
  6. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cyclamen coum Michael Hewett, Sep 20, 2020 at 10:03 PM
  7. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
    Latest: coir for compost Mike Allen, Jun 15, 2020
  8. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. roders
    Like x 11

BBC Gardeners World returns.

We all can Jen just need to venture out to get the compost I knew I had forgotten something !!Spruce ...
    We all can Jen just need to venture out to get the compost I knew I had forgotten something !!Spruce ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Katie.mac

Leylandii help

If you do as @andrews and @Cuttings suggest, sample trees from far apart. If they both show no new roots, then also inspect the soil. Is it soggy? Do other things grow well nearby? You need to...
    If you do as @andrews and @Cuttings suggest, sample trees from far apart. If they both show no new roots, then also inspect the soil. Is it soggy? Do other things grow well nearby? You need to know what caused the problems - were you just unlucky with our very wet winter?
    If you do as @andrews and @Cuttings suggest, sample trees from far apart. If they both show no new roots, then also inspect the soil. Is it soggy? Do other things grow well nearby? You need to know what caused the problems - were you just unlucky...
    If you do as @andrews and @Cuttings suggest, sample trees from far apart. If they both show no new roots, then also inspect the soil. Is it soggy? Do other things grow well nearby? You need to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Kyle zillion

please help me indentify these trees and plants

OK, 2nd guess is Quince (not Japonica). I've got one at my plot and will have a look tommorow.
    OK, 2nd guess is Quince (not Japonica). I've got one at my plot and will have a look tommorow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Ryn

Pussy willow Pruning info

...and here is the willow, after its initial prune.Once the branches have settled a bit, and my hands have recovered !! I will look to prune it for shape.
    ...and here is the willow, after its initial prune.Once the branches have settled a bit, and my hands have recovered !! I will look to prune it for shape.
    IMG_20200204_110538376.jpg IMG_20200204_110535340.jpg 271E6012-E758-4846-A143-11B3F642C3F0.jpeg IMG_20190526_115641321~3.jpg 8BE29F5E-954A-44E5-8D66-730B5135A91A.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Cuttings
    Like x 9

Spring is here

With Valentine, dont over feed it, feed once a year after it finished flowering, and use a NPK 0-10-10, and dont let it get too wet.
    With Valentine, dont over feed it, feed once a year after it finished flowering, and use a NPK 0-10-10, and dont let it get too wet.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Scotty2088

Supermarket Shrubs

I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in...
    I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in particular I would steer clear of fruit trees unless they specifically state the rootstock and variety....
    I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in particular I would steer clear of fruit trees unless...
    I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. NessaJ70

White hydrangea recommendations

Below is an example of the flopping problem with Strong Annabelle/Incredibelle. The first photo (the blooms are white) shows the new blooms and a plant of about 7 feet high or 2.1 meters. The...
    Below is an example of the flopping problem with Strong Annabelle/Incredibelle. The first photo (the blooms are white) shows the new blooms and a plant of about 7 feet high or 2.1 meters. The second photo was taken several months later. After going through several thunderstorms, the stems were...
    Below is an example of the flopping problem with Strong Annabelle/Incredibelle. The first photo (the blooms are white) shows the new blooms and a plant of about 7 feet high or 2.1 meters. The second photo was taken several months later. After...
    Below is an example of the flopping problem with Strong Annabelle/Incredibelle. The first photo (the blooms are white) shows the new blooms and a plant of about 7 feet high or 2.1 meters. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. roders
    Funny x 7

Gardening is all about sex....apparently.

Just a bit of a break from the virus.Someone’s analogy of the sexual activity of our plants.Annuals live life in the fast lane ,with no time for decorum ,they want to find a mate in record...
    Just a bit of a break from the virus.Someone’s analogy of the sexual activity of our plants.Annuals live life in the fast lane ,with no time for decorum ,they want to find a mate in record time.Petals like gorgeously colourful party frocks ,are designed to get bees in a frenzy ,the brazen...
    Just a bit of a break from the virus.Someone’s analogy of the sexual activity of our plants.Annuals live life in the fast lane ,with no time for decorum ,they want to find a mate in record time.Petals like gorgeously colourful party frocks...
    Just a bit of a break from the virus.Someone’s analogy of the sexual activity of our plants.Annuals live life in the fast lane ,with no time for decorum ,they want to find a mate in record...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Cuttings
    Informative x 8

Run of the mill seeds

We went there in its early days (must be about 20 years ago) and were quite impressed. :blue thumb:
    We went there in its early days (must be about 20 years ago) and were quite impressed. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Mike Allen

Digging. Rotavating. Cultavating. Ploughing

When we first moved in here the ground was solid clay. We improved it in a number of ways. Firstly we double dug it and dug in a lot of straw - taken from the field at the back before they burnt...
    When we first moved in here the ground was solid clay. We improved it in a number of ways. Firstly we double dug it and dug in a lot of straw - taken from the field at the back before they burnt it. This helped to keep the clay broken up and aerate the ground. We also dug in a lot of horse...
    When we first moved in here the ground was solid clay. We improved it in a number of ways. Firstly we double dug it and dug in a lot of straw - taken from the field at the back before they burnt it. This helped to keep the clay broken up and...
    When we first moved in here the ground was solid clay. We improved it in a number of ways. Firstly we double dug it and dug in a lot of straw - taken from the field at the back before they burnt...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Eden1

Marguerite's not doing so well.

Happily I'm starting to see some new growth on the marguerites but I'm wondering if I should cut them back as the stems look a bit woody. I've done some Googling and I've found one article which...
    Happily I'm starting to see some new growth on the marguerites but I'm wondering if I should cut them back as the stems look a bit woody. I've done some Googling and I've found one article which says they can be cut back any time during the growing season. Do you guys concur with this? Or should...
    Happily I'm starting to see some new growth on the marguerites but I'm wondering if I should cut them back as the stems look a bit woody. I've done some Googling and I've found one article which says they can be cut back any time during the...
    Happily I'm starting to see some new growth on the marguerites but I'm wondering if I should cut them back as the stems look a bit woody. I've done some Googling and I've found one article which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Sienna's Blossom

What tree or large shrub will compliment my cottage style front garden

Love the Choisya in flower @shiney looks lovely.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Steve86

RHS level 2 combined practical & theory

Forgotten that I had started this post and thought I'd provide an update on where I am at, which might someone else might find usual.I started the Practical certificate at Oxford Abingdon &...
    Forgotten that I had started this post and thought I'd provide an update on where I am at, which might someone else might find usual.I started the Practical certificate at Oxford Abingdon & Whitney College on Saturday mornings. It runs from September to June with a Break from Christmas to the...
    Forgotten that I had started this post and thought I'd provide an update on where I am at, which might someone else might find usual.I started the Practical certificate at Oxford Abingdon & Whitney College on Saturday mornings. It runs from...
    Forgotten that I had started this post and thought I'd provide an update on where I am at, which might someone else might find usual.I started the Practical certificate at Oxford Abingdon &...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. deejonny

Clay soil in a new build and hard aggregate below the clay

It looks like that's going to be a sod. A rotavator will loosen things up to help you with the double-digging, but it's still going to be hard work. My first garden was worse than that though -...
    It looks like that's going to be a sod. A rotavator will loosen things up to help you with the double-digging, but it's still going to be hard work. My first garden was worse than that though - take your soil and then let it fester for 20 years, basically - and double-digging plus plenty of...
    It looks like that's going to be a sod. A rotavator will loosen things up to help you with the double-digging, but it's still going to be hard work. My first garden was worse than that though - take your soil and then let it fester for 20 years,...
    It looks like that's going to be a sod. A rotavator will loosen things up to help you with the double-digging, but it's still going to be hard work. My first garden was worse than that though -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. miraflores

Edgeworthia from seed

NO. Sow seed in pots/containers in autumn and place in a coldframe. Cuttings of semi-ripe growth can be taken and potted etc and likewise be placed in a cold frame.
    NO. Sow seed in pots/containers in autumn and place in a coldframe. Cuttings of semi-ripe growth can be taken and potted etc and likewise be placed in a cold frame.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. roders

Fruit and Veg.Quiz.

Got it! :biggrin: Still slightly on a cheating side as the clue points towards a single word... Upsydaisy would still be quite good methinks :noidea:I'm loving this quiz, thanks @roders :)
    Got it! :biggrin: Still slightly on a cheating side as the clue points towards a single word... Upsydaisy would still be quite good methinks :noidea:I'm loving this quiz, thanks @roders :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Mike Allen

DWP.

In April I got an increase in my pension from them of over two pound a month so I suppose they will want some of it back so they can pay you! :old:
    In April I got an increase in my pension from them of over two pound a month so I suppose they will want some of it back so they can pay you! :old:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Nor

Planting advice needed please

Thanks Ricky 101, I'll have a look at the link you sent for sweet peas. I've been looking at the David Austin website for the roses and the pot grown ones are expensive.I have only really seen...
    Thanks Ricky 101, I'll have a look at the link you sent for sweet peas. I've been looking at the David Austin website for the roses and the pot grown ones are expensive.I have only really seen lavender at garden centres when it's in flower, but yes I will check it out at other times and see...
    Thanks Ricky 101, I'll have a look at the link you sent for sweet peas. I've been looking at the David Austin website for the roses and the pot grown ones are expensive.I have only really seen lavender at garden centres when it's in flower,...
    Thanks Ricky 101, I'll have a look at the link you sent for sweet peas. I've been looking at the David Austin website for the roses and the pot grown ones are expensive.I have only really seen...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Craig1987

Local Chrysanthemum growers

Ah brilliant! I'll try to get a copy tomorrowThanks for the heads up
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. miraflores

Blade strimmer and hedge trimmer...suggestions.

Can you suggest me 1) a blade strimmer easy to handle not heavy and preferably not petrol run 2) hedge trimmer (also suitable for fine topiary purposes) nothing big as I dont like vibrations nor...
    Can you suggest me 1) a blade strimmer easy to handle not heavy and preferably not petrol run 2) hedge trimmer (also suitable for fine topiary purposes) nothing big as I dont like vibrations nor holding big machines.
    Can you suggest me 1) a blade strimmer easy to handle not heavy and preferably not petrol run 2) hedge trimmer (also suitable for fine topiary purposes) nothing big as I dont like vibrations nor holding big machines.
    Can you suggest me 1) a blade strimmer easy to handle not heavy and preferably not petrol run 2) hedge trimmer (also suitable for fine topiary purposes) nothing big as I dont like vibrations nor...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice