Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020 ARMANDII, Feb 19, 2020 at 10:45 PM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Disability gardening Dai007, Sep 20, 2019
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Multipurpose compost Selleri, Jan 3, 2020
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
    Latest: Oops...Patent applied for. Graham B, Jan 10, 2020
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Desperately in need of advice/ help.. NigelJ, Feb 16, 2020 at 7:00 AM
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
    Latest: Fruit preserving season Jiffy, Aug 22, 2019
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. K78

Garden boundaries.

Then everything will be fine and dandy then.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. weas3l

Peony Help

Agree with that weas31. Herbaceous peonies will not enjoy ericaceous compost ...they prefer neutral to alkaline soil. They do well here in my free draining but organically rich sandy loam..... I...
    Agree with that weas31. Herbaceous peonies will not enjoy ericaceous compost ...they prefer neutral to alkaline soil. They do well here in my free draining but organically rich sandy loam..... I too would save the ericaceous compost for out and out acid lovers like azaleas, rhododendrons,...
    Agree with that weas31. Herbaceous peonies will not enjoy ericaceous compost ...they prefer neutral to alkaline soil. They do well here in my free draining but organically rich sandy loam..... I too would save the ericaceous compost for out and...
    Agree with that weas31. Herbaceous peonies will not enjoy ericaceous compost ...they prefer neutral to alkaline soil. They do well here in my free draining but organically rich sandy loam..... I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Belto

Dying Geraniums

I agree, lots of plants are forced in absolute perfect growing conditions, they then get put in draughty shop fronts with no hardening off. Pelargoniums (geraniums) are one of those plants that...
    I agree, lots of plants are forced in absolute perfect growing conditions, they then get put in draughty shop fronts with no hardening off. Pelargoniums (geraniums) are one of those plants that are likely to spring back once things warm up properly.Just dont overwater.
    I agree, lots of plants are forced in absolute perfect growing conditions, they then get put in draughty shop fronts with no hardening off. Pelargoniums (geraniums) are one of those plants that are likely to spring back once things warm up...
    I agree, lots of plants are forced in absolute perfect growing conditions, they then get put in draughty shop fronts with no hardening off. Pelargoniums (geraniums) are one of those plants that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. lowrider69

breaking up clay advice

Lot of weed there. If they are perennials you could end up chopping them up and spreading them around with a rotavator. Just a thought.I'd be inclined to rotavate after spreading your manure...
    Lot of weed there. If they are perennials you could end up chopping them up and spreading them around with a rotavator. Just a thought.I'd be inclined to rotavate after spreading your manure etc. It will incorporate it into the soil. If its too wet, ie the mud is sticky, I'd wait a bit, but if...
    Lot of weed there. If they are perennials you could end up chopping them up and spreading them around with a rotavator. Just a thought.I'd be inclined to rotavate after spreading your manure etc. It will incorporate it into the soil. If its too...
    Lot of weed there. If they are perennials you could end up chopping them up and spreading them around with a rotavator. Just a thought.I'd be inclined to rotavate after spreading your manure...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. mazambo

Asclepias Tuberosa

Just looked in one of my reference books :- requires dry soil in full sunshine ; can tolerate down to around -25 Centigrade !! (If dry)!!! Good luck with it ; something you don't see very often .
    Just looked in one of my reference books :- requires dry soil in full sunshine ; can tolerate down to around -25 Centigrade !! (If dry)!!! Good luck with it ; something you don't see very often .
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Mohsin Khan

How to move aggregate?

Make sure you have a wheelbarrow with a pneumatic tyre, they are so much easier to handle and ride the lumps and bumps much better.
    Make sure you have a wheelbarrow with a pneumatic tyre, they are so much easier to handle and ride the lumps and bumps much better.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. nikirushka

Chicken manure

We have four compost bins made of old shipping pallets. The chicken manure and wood shavings go in there along with the grass clippings. We leave it for a good year until its rotted down and...
    We have four compost bins made of old shipping pallets. The chicken manure and wood shavings go in there along with the grass clippings. We leave it for a good year until its rotted down and then spread it on the borders.
    We have four compost bins made of old shipping pallets. The chicken manure and wood shavings go in there along with the grass clippings. We leave it for a good year until its rotted down and then spread it on the borders.
    We have four compost bins made of old shipping pallets. The chicken manure and wood shavings go in there along with the grass clippings. We leave it for a good year until its rotted down and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. lowrider69

irrigation systems?

Hi Lowrider, sorry missed your Feb post. I used the Hozelock Universal irrigation kit this uses the large 13mm bore pipe. They also do a Micro kit which is more suitable for baskets. To control...
    Hi Lowrider, sorry missed your Feb post. I used the Hozelock Universal irrigation kit this uses the large 13mm bore pipe. They also do a Micro kit which is more suitable for baskets. To control the water I use an Orbit timer. There are cheaper kits and timers available, if you look on Ebay...
    Hi Lowrider, sorry missed your Feb post. I used the Hozelock Universal irrigation kit this uses the large 13mm bore pipe. They also do a Micro kit which is more suitable for baskets. To control the water I use an Orbit timer. There are cheaper...
    Hi Lowrider, sorry missed your Feb post. I used the Hozelock Universal irrigation kit this uses the large 13mm bore pipe. They also do a Micro kit which is more suitable for baskets. To control...
    38152780_10210447487898052_3952318485912092672_n.jpg MicroKit-all.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. kriss
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Graham B

Wood preservative for sleepers with a raised bed

Thanks folks.Trunky, that does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I wouldn't expect even untreated softwood to show much deterioration after only a year, so like you say it's not...
    Thanks folks.Trunky, that does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I wouldn't expect even untreated softwood to show much deterioration after only a year, so like you say it's not serious confirmation. It sounds like kind of a chalk wash, and I'm not sure how that would...
    Thanks folks.Trunky, that does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I wouldn't expect even untreated softwood to show much deterioration after only a year, so like you say it's not serious confirmation. It sounds like kind of a...
    Thanks folks.Trunky, that does sound like the same stuff under a different name. I wouldn't expect even untreated softwood to show much deterioration after only a year, so like you say it's not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Vince
    Funny x 4

The Great British Potato Famine?

Don't blame me, I was planting up my seed potatoes and Lily (one of our dogs) helped herself, thinning them out and eating them. Once spotted she got exiled from the veg patch. I should have been...
    Don't blame me, I was planting up my seed potatoes and Lily (one of our dogs) helped herself, thinning them out and eating them. Once spotted she got exiled from the veg patch. I should have been angry but couldn't start laughing, my fault because I give the dogs potato peelings, carrot peelings...
    Don't blame me, I was planting up my seed potatoes and Lily (one of our dogs) helped herself, thinning them out and eating them. Once spotted she got exiled from the veg patch. I should have been angry but couldn't start laughing, my fault...
    Don't blame me, I was planting up my seed potatoes and Lily (one of our dogs) helped herself, thinning them out and eating them. Once spotted she got exiled from the veg patch. I should have been...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. polypody

Removing last years fruit from Crab Apples

Thanks for your reply.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Andrew Kennedy

Insulation?!?

My GH is Cedarwood boarded from base to bench height then glass. I replaced the roof glass a long time ago with twin walled polycarbonate. I use small bubble wrap that is 24inches wide.As the...
    My GH is Cedarwood boarded from base to bench height then glass. I replaced the roof glass a long time ago with twin walled polycarbonate. I use small bubble wrap that is 24inches wide.As the framework is wood and not metal it is so easy to staple the sheeting to the frame, this leaving at...
    My GH is Cedarwood boarded from base to bench height then glass. I replaced the roof glass a long time ago with twin walled polycarbonate. I use small bubble wrap that is 24inches wide.As the framework is wood and not metal it is so easy to...
    My GH is Cedarwood boarded from base to bench height then glass. I replaced the roof glass a long time ago with twin walled polycarbonate. I use small bubble wrap that is 24inches wide.As the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. kriss

Verbena plants

@kriss I'm glad you asked the question, in the same position with a bonariensis so cut it back as suggested.
    @kriss I'm glad you asked the question, in the same position with a bonariensis so cut it back as suggested.
    1CBBB311-DF13-4C5D-9A7A-97469B69D560.jpeg 20190316_142432.jpg 20190316_143222.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. miraflores

Goldcrest wilma

Thanks a lot :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. tristanstartsgardening

How to remove those weeds?

Yes tristanstartsgardening, clear out that ivy.:) Small bushes will certainly be overrun by the ivy, flowers will be smothered and growth restricted.:) Besides, if unchecked it will look awful:sad:
    Yes tristanstartsgardening, clear out that ivy.:) Small bushes will certainly be overrun by the ivy, flowers will be smothered and growth restricted.:) Besides, if unchecked it will look awful:sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. kriss

Salvia Strategy!

Nemorosa Sensation Blue Kriss.....nice hardy variety.:) Keep labels or write names in a notebook perhaps:)
    Nemorosa Sensation Blue Kriss.....nice hardy variety.:) Keep labels or write names in a notebook perhaps:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Clydesdalestu

Cat friendly gravel - but not THAT friendly :)

Given the cat belongs to the original poster I doubt they want to put anything down that might poison it.
    Given the cat belongs to the original poster I doubt they want to put anything down that might poison it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Spruce

Metaldehyde Slug Pellets Finally Banned

Yes, it's the new trend in our garden !!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. mazambo

Agastache is it ok?

Couple of things mazambo.....golden jubilee does have yellowish leaves but agastaches won’t enjoy wet conditions esp over winter. You are right, they are reacting to the rain recently. I would...
    Couple of things mazambo.....golden jubilee does have yellowish leaves but agastaches won’t enjoy wet conditions esp over winter. You are right, they are reacting to the rain recently. I would cloche them if possible...keep them a tad drier and warmer. A fleece slightly suspended over them...
    Couple of things mazambo.....golden jubilee does have yellowish leaves but agastaches won’t enjoy wet conditions esp over winter. You are right, they are reacting to the rain recently. I would cloche them if possible...keep them a tad drier and...
    Couple of things mazambo.....golden jubilee does have yellowish leaves but agastaches won’t enjoy wet conditions esp over winter. You are right, they are reacting to the rain recently. I would...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice