1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: What are we doing in the garden 2024 lizzie27, Apr 24, 2024 at 9:33 PM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Which soil improver? fairygirl, Apr 24, 2024 at 7:27 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 flounder, Apr 4, 2024
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best tool for trimming edges of lawn amancalledgeorge, Apr 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water flounder, Mar 31, 2024
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Oh Dear! Goldenlily26, Apr 24, 2024 at 11:48 AM
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Kabeziller

What Planting Would Work Here?

@Kabeziller Where are you in the country? Down here in Devon I have a similar area in my garden; cyclamen and violets are fine there. Iris foetidissima is evergreen with orange berries, Arum...
    @Kabeziller Where are you in the country? Down here in Devon I have a similar area in my garden; cyclamen and violets are fine there. Iris foetidissima is evergreen with orange berries, Arum maculatum and Arum italicum do well there as do a number of rubus species which may be evergreen,...
    @Kabeziller Where are you in the country? Down here in Devon I have a similar area in my garden; cyclamen and violets are fine there. Iris foetidissima is evergreen with orange berries, Arum maculatum and Arum italicum do well there as do a...
    @Kabeziller Where are you in the country? Down here in Devon I have a similar area in my garden; cyclamen and violets are fine there. Iris foetidissima is evergreen with orange berries, Arum...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. groundbeetle

How to store seeds?

The unopened seed packets will be fine, generally have a sow by date on them. Morning Gllory (Ipomea) seed keeps fairly well just dry in an envelope the nasturtium should be alright as well.
    The unopened seed packets will be fine, generally have a sow by date on them. Morning Gllory (Ipomea) seed keeps fairly well just dry in an envelope the nasturtium should be alright as well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Billi

Cosmos not flowering?

Yes, I have no doubt, that my disaster is caused new fertile top soil in my newly built beds! I’m hoping, that after a winter of hopefully rain, it will have calmed down and I can have another go....
    Yes, I have no doubt, that my disaster is caused new fertile top soil in my newly built beds! I’m hoping, that after a winter of hopefully rain, it will have calmed down and I can have another go. I think I bought the same seeds this year as I alway do, but as I don’t keep the bags, I can’t be...
    Yes, I have no doubt, that my disaster is caused new fertile top soil in my newly built beds! I’m hoping, that after a winter of hopefully rain, it will have calmed down and I can have another go. I think I bought the same seeds this year as I...
    Yes, I have no doubt, that my disaster is caused new fertile top soil in my newly built beds! I’m hoping, that after a winter of hopefully rain, it will have calmed down and I can have another go....
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Suzie22

Ideas for screening neighbours satellite dish please!!!!

Willow is fast growing but not evergreen but you can get evergreen Eucalyptus that is fast growing. It needs a bit more care but is not difficult.How to grow eucalyptus / RHS Gardening
    Willow is fast growing but not evergreen but you can get evergreen Eucalyptus that is fast growing. It needs a bit more care but is not difficult.How to grow eucalyptus / RHS Gardening
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Glynne Williams

Dead clementis?

Agree! The point about the soil was one of the reasons I posted actually! Also of course the Tree-like nature of the thing! Must be said what I've seen all these years is this 'pride-and-joy'...
    Agree! The point about the soil was one of the reasons I posted actually! Also of course the Tree-like nature of the thing! Must be said what I've seen all these years is this 'pride-and-joy' clematis DOME every spring!! I had also encouraged it to spread to our Scots pine. Eventually I...
    Agree! The point about the soil was one of the reasons I posted actually! Also of course the Tree-like nature of the thing! Must be said what I've seen all these years is this 'pride-and-joy' clematis DOME every spring!! I had also encouraged it...
    Agree! The point about the soil was one of the reasons I posted actually! Also of course the Tree-like nature of the thing! Must be said what I've seen all these years is this 'pride-and-joy'...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Christophe1

Raised Bed.. 2 questions

How did they start off? Are they from potted plants, bare root, plugs, seed, rooted runners?If they're from bare root or rooted runners cut prematurely, they might just be building up their...
    How did they start off? Are they from potted plants, bare root, plugs, seed, rooted runners?If they're from bare root or rooted runners cut prematurely, they might just be building up their strength, focusing their energy on laying down good roots before they focus on top side growth.
    How did they start off? Are they from potted plants, bare root, plugs, seed, rooted runners?If they're from bare root or rooted runners cut prematurely, they might just be building up their strength, focusing their energy on laying down good...
    How did they start off? Are they from potted plants, bare root, plugs, seed, rooted runners?If they're from bare root or rooted runners cut prematurely, they might just be building up their...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Itr786

Newly planted bamboo

Hello, it won't do the plants any harm, and stops the canes from flopping about, doesn't look obtrusive, so why not? :)
    Hello, it won't do the plants any harm, and stops the canes from flopping about, doesn't look obtrusive, so why not? :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. RDB85

Hayter 48 keeps cutting out

What I do is remove the blade, balance it on a round bar (a round pencil will do) and see if it sits steady (unlikely even with a good blade) then file a bit off the end of the heavy half until it...
    What I do is remove the blade, balance it on a round bar (a round pencil will do) and see if it sits steady (unlikely even with a good blade) then file a bit off the end of the heavy half until it is near as balanced as you can get it.
    What I do is remove the blade, balance it on a round bar (a round pencil will do) and see if it sits steady (unlikely even with a good blade) then file a bit off the end of the heavy half until it is near as balanced as you can get it.
    What I do is remove the blade, balance it on a round bar (a round pencil will do) and see if it sits steady (unlikely even with a good blade) then file a bit off the end of the heavy half until it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Itr786

Bamboo soil?

I just dug a hole, broke up the bottom, added some blood, fish and bone, spread out the roots, filled hole in and watered well. These days I would add some Mycorhizzal fungi. If you have some...
    I just dug a hole, broke up the bottom, added some blood, fish and bone, spread out the roots, filled hole in and watered well. These days I would add some Mycorhizzal fungi. If you have some garden compost I would dig some of that into the planting hole. I would also suggest soaking the...
    I just dug a hole, broke up the bottom, added some blood, fish and bone, spread out the roots, filled hole in and watered well. These days I would add some Mycorhizzal fungi. If you have some garden compost I would dig some of that into the...
    I just dug a hole, broke up the bottom, added some blood, fish and bone, spread out the roots, filled hole in and watered well. These days I would add some Mycorhizzal fungi. If you have some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. BumbleSlug

Very confused Narcissus

I think it will do better outside too, probably won't flower this year but will give it a chance to build up its reserves for the spring.
    I think it will do better outside too, probably won't flower this year but will give it a chance to build up its reserves for the spring.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Madra

Water Butt not filling with slightly longer pipe

Yes, the water tends to run down the wall of the downpipe and gathers in the collar.
    Yes, the water tends to run down the wall of the downpipe and gathers in the collar.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. kriss
    Like x 3

Cosmos again!

Yes, hope so ! These are mine very late last year ! November in fact !
    EBA1BEEE-8176-4B09-829D-C16CBB36FB55.jpeg 8C3C8E30-9DD9-44BB-8582-B25CA5D8DC6E.jpeg 9ED0051B-A7CF-40C6-A331-E82D8109C2A1.jpeg 53A80610-C0EC-4E2D-96C8-28B5AF69FAA4.jpeg 8C6D19B8-04FD-4CED-B246-84DB969BBB01.jpeg 4EA5567B-2168-4757-B2DB-C1C3F8B35933.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Gwenhwyfar

Jasminum Polyanthum flowering in Summer?!

Maybe the cooler outdoor temperatures induced it into flowering. It would have started growing the buds before this heat arrived.
    Maybe the cooler outdoor temperatures induced it into flowering. It would have started growing the buds before this heat arrived.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. xxxDawnxxx

Salix pink flamingo dying???

Some variegated leaf plants scorch easier than their green leaved relatives, I think its just how they are. The heat and bright sunshine of recently would probably be the cause.
    Some variegated leaf plants scorch easier than their green leaved relatives, I think its just how they are. The heat and bright sunshine of recently would probably be the cause.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. dazzler9000

Bamboo root barrier

Thanks Flounder
    Thanks Flounder
    Thanks Flounder
    Thanks Flounder
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. mazambo

Unwanted saplings in privet hedge.

My wife nurtures the saplings that grow in our hedge. We have Honeysuckle, Hawthorn, Sycamore and Birch. 70 years of birds nesting and sh***ng in it.
    My wife nurtures the saplings that grow in our hedge. We have Honeysuckle, Hawthorn, Sycamore and Birch. 70 years of birds nesting and sh***ng in it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Logan
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Zola

Advice on Garden design

That looks really, really good, @Zola , well done! :dbgrtmb:Raised bed in the "dead" area is a good idea, an ideal spot for growing something edible with the kids with the added advantage of having fresh...
    That looks really, really good, @Zola , well done! :dbgrtmb:Raised bed in the "dead" area is a good idea, an ideal spot for growing something edible with the kids with the added advantage of having fresh things in your BBQ or cocktail garnish.I'd consider year round interest with some useful,...
    That looks really, really good, @Zola , well done! :dbgrtmb:Raised bed in the "dead" area is a good idea, an ideal spot for growing something edible with the kids with the added advantage of having fresh things in your BBQ or cocktail garnish.I'd...
    That looks really, really good, @Zola , well done! :dbgrtmb:Raised bed in the "dead" area is a good idea, an ideal spot for growing something edible with the kids with the added advantage of having fresh...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Purple Streaks

Moving a large 7 ft hydrangea

Thank you very much everybody I will try the Irish way of cuttings failing that I shall move it in the autumn.
    Thank you very much everybody I will try the Irish way of cuttings failing that I shall move it in the autumn.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Edan

New to gardening - need advice

Welcome to the forum. Trying to get year-round interest in small borders is not easy. You don't say how much time you are prepared to spend in the garden. Personally, for a small space like that,...
    Welcome to the forum. Trying to get year-round interest in small borders is not easy. You don't say how much time you are prepared to spend in the garden. Personally, for a small space like that, I would put Daffodils and Tulips for the spring and Roses for the summer and autumn.
    Welcome to the forum. Trying to get year-round interest in small borders is not easy. You don't say how much time you are prepared to spend in the garden. Personally, for a small space like that, I would put Daffodils and Tulips for the spring...
    Welcome to the forum. Trying to get year-round interest in small borders is not easy. You don't say how much time you are prepared to spend in the garden. Personally, for a small space like that,...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice