General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. TheMadHedger

Hedging plants that love shade, preferably that grow fast and maybe even flowering?

I should have said that Griselinia does flower, but the flowers are insignificant @TheMadHedger!
    I should have said that Griselinia does flower, but the flowers are insignificant @TheMadHedger!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. fumanchu

Best compost mix for alpines?

I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the...
    I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the main roots and would cause rotting over the winter with holding too much water .... and the plants...
    I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the main roots and would cause rotting over the winter...
    I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Punkdoc
    Agree x 14

Location, location location

Love the Buachaille, @fairygirl, it was my first proper winter route.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. puschkinia

Acer palmatum - branch dieback

I'll do that. What a relief, it's such a beautiful tree. Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Kyuss

Overgrown Pittosporum

That sounds like a Mission Impossible thing @Carrie Carroll ! Dead of night, dressed all in black, digging frantically... :biggrin: Surely she'd notice the change?
    That sounds like a Mission Impossible thing @Carrie Carroll ! Dead of night, dressed all in black, digging frantically... :biggrin: Surely she'd notice the change?
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. thriftybri

sea holly wilt

Sea Holly seems to be a common name for eryngiums and it does look like a young eryngium plan um, which are quite commonly found bare root.I think it's to warm and wet, they tend to like good...
    Sea Holly seems to be a common name for eryngiums and it does look like a young eryngium plan um, which are quite commonly found bare root.I think it's to warm and wet, they tend to like good drainage and are very drought tolerant because of their deep fleshy taproot. I would follow the...
    Sea Holly seems to be a common name for eryngiums and it does look like a young eryngium plan um, which are quite commonly found bare root.I think it's to warm and wet, they tend to like good drainage and are very drought tolerant because of...
    Sea Holly seems to be a common name for eryngiums and it does look like a young eryngium plan um, which are quite commonly found bare root.I think it's to warm and wet, they tend to like good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Grays

Advice on what to grow (if possible) between these paving slabs.

I'd seriously stick to your original idea of creeping Thyme :) Thymus (pseudo?)lanuginosus is a gem. T. prostratus too.
    I'd seriously stick to your original idea of creeping Thyme :) Thymus (pseudo?)lanuginosus is a gem. T. prostratus too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Tui34
    Like x 3

Thank you for your warm welcome

Hello and welcome to GC
    Hello and welcome to GC
    Hello and welcome to GC
    Hello and welcome to GC
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. fumanchu

Planter Sizes

Ok thank you, will do. :blue thumb: It's all plotting & planning & asking questions just now, but I can get started on the planting at the end of this month. Got some orders coming from Farmer Gracey and the...
    Ok thank you, will do. :blue thumb: It's all plotting & planning & asking questions just now, but I can get started on the planting at the end of this month. Got some orders coming from Farmer Gracey and the local plant nursery will have more in by then as well.
    Ok thank you, will do. :blue thumb: It's all plotting & planning & asking questions just now, but I can get started on the planting at the end of this month. Got some orders coming from Farmer Gracey and the local plant nursery will have more in by then as...
    Ok thank you, will do. :blue thumb: It's all plotting & planning & asking questions just now, but I can get started on the planting at the end of this month. Got some orders coming from Farmer Gracey and the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Erigeron

Anyone lost anything surprising this winter?

Some monarda Panorama mix that I grew from seed a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared without trace - not even the dead stems from last year. One is growing (and the dead stems were still...
    Some monarda Panorama mix that I grew from seed a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared without trace - not even the dead stems from last year. One is growing (and the dead stems were still attached until I cut them down the other day) but the others, no sign. Sod's law the surviving one...
    Some monarda Panorama mix that I grew from seed a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared without trace - not even the dead stems from last year. One is growing (and the dead stems were still attached until I cut them down the other day) but...
    Some monarda Panorama mix that I grew from seed a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared without trace - not even the dead stems from last year. One is growing (and the dead stems were still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Erigeron

Landscaping fabric for paths - good idea or not?

I hate weed membrane, the slightest disturbance and you cannot get it back down again. Cardboard covered in wood chip is my suggestion. renew every few years
    I hate weed membrane, the slightest disturbance and you cannot get it back down again. Cardboard covered in wood chip is my suggestion. renew every few years
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. burnie

Gardeners World forum

We've had a little admin chat and will close this thread. A good alternative for catching up of a day - Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024 (Other threads are available :heehee:)
    We've had a little admin chat and will close this thread. A good alternative for catching up of a day - Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2024 (Other threads are available :heehee:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Spruce

Geranium Rozanne but which other varieties are as good or better ?

I think you're right, it needs something prickly and/or twiggy to help support it. Mine has neither nearby, just other slightly floppy plants! I do use a circular plant support around it, which...
    I think you're right, it needs something prickly and/or twiggy to help support it. Mine has neither nearby, just other slightly floppy plants! I do use a circular plant support around it, which helps keep it upright.I prefer Johnson's Blue to Rozanne, to be honest. Rozanne is another...
    I think you're right, it needs something prickly and/or twiggy to help support it. Mine has neither nearby, just other slightly floppy plants! I do use a circular plant support around it, which helps keep it upright.I prefer Johnson's Blue...
    I think you're right, it needs something prickly and/or twiggy to help support it. Mine has neither nearby, just other slightly floppy plants! I do use a circular plant support around it, which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PhilC

Is it easy to block wisteria roots when planted in the ground?

yeah the Kiwi that I have is Jenny but I'm not sure it enjoys being potted in a container.
    yeah the Kiwi that I have is Jenny but I'm not sure it enjoys being potted in a container.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Spruce

Hardy Geranium Rozanne ... how to propagate....

That's my understanding too- that they're sterile. Division for geraniums is the usual, and easiest method. I'm in a very small minority, as I really dislike it. :biggrin:
    That's my understanding too- that they're sterile. Division for geraniums is the usual, and easiest method. I'm in a very small minority, as I really dislike it. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ricky101

New Gardening TV program.

I've been on and off with Tichmarsh's programmes, some I hate and some are OK.Not keen when he starts crawling around the royals, or the garden make over types.
    I've been on and off with Tichmarsh's programmes, some I hate and some are OK.Not keen when he starts crawling around the royals, or the garden make over types.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Caecius

Wooden Coping

My pleasure.To answer your question, I would be inclined to pressure wash with a soft lance (don't use a turbo nozzle) and don't go too close. Follow up with a biocide such as this - and that...
    My pleasure.To answer your question, I would be inclined to pressure wash with a soft lance (don't use a turbo nozzle) and don't go too close. Follow up with a biocide such as this - and that should help inhibit recurrence.
    My pleasure.To answer your question, I would be inclined to pressure wash with a soft lance (don't use a turbo nozzle) and don't go too close. Follow up with a biocide such as this - and that should help inhibit recurrence.
    My pleasure.To answer your question, I would be inclined to pressure wash with a soft lance (don't use a turbo nozzle) and don't go too close. Follow up with a biocide such as this - and that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. TheMadHedger

Greenhouse - which is the best in VERY strong winds?

Very smart greenhouses @kindredspirit and @BenCotto I have a Hercules Blenheim which is supposed to be strong. But I wish I'd got one with half walls like you two, as most things I grow in pots...
    Very smart greenhouses @kindredspirit and @BenCotto I have a Hercules Blenheim which is supposed to be strong. But I wish I'd got one with half walls like you two, as most things I grow in pots on staging. I once had a hex greenhouse and we had a storm. I only realised it had moved a couple of...
    Very smart greenhouses @kindredspirit and @BenCotto I have a Hercules Blenheim which is supposed to be strong. But I wish I'd got one with half walls like you two, as most things I grow in pots on staging. I once had a hex greenhouse and we had...
    Very smart greenhouses @kindredspirit and @BenCotto I have a Hercules Blenheim which is supposed to be strong. But I wish I'd got one with half walls like you two, as most things I grow in pots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. scottyboy

Oleria Henry Travis

At least now you have the correct name to go searching.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Michael Hewett

Daphne

Thank you. I won't disturb the roots then, just tip it out of the pot and straight into a prepared hole in the ground. My soil is deep so it should be fine.
    Thank you. I won't disturb the roots then, just tip it out of the pot and straight into a prepared hole in the ground. My soil is deep so it should be fine.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice