1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. NoviceGardener2023

Lawn - How best to remove Clover, Buttercup etc.

Get down, trace back the roots and dig it out.... It's cheap to do so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. BenCotto

Composting and sewing (not sowing)

Thanks for letting me know @JennyJB .
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Pink678

What are your 'happy flowers'?

I sure am, katecat58! :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. lizzie27

Composting old teeshirts?

I use them as rags for wiping things, but the Red Cross will take clothes that can't be worne again because they can get money for them.
    I use them as rags for wiping things, but the Red Cross will take clothes that can't be worne again because they can get money for them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Jenny_Aster

Been duped

No, no,no, that's a blue daisy - very rare and special, you could flog the seed on ebay........:biggrin:
    No, no,no, that's a blue daisy - very rare and special, you could flog the seed on ebay........:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. robbo

Clematis

I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering...
    I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering types flower on old wood, and only need a general tidy up if they're getting too big for the space....
    I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering types flower on old wood, and only need a general...
    I'd agree that it's best to just leave them for now @robbo, until you have some flowers. The general advice is - if it flowers before June, don't prune. That's simply because the early flowering...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. BenCotto
    Friendly x 13

Tulips, and the story behind them

Our thoughts are with you both @BenCotto and our kindest wishes for your future together … however long it may be. xx
    Our thoughts are with you both @BenCotto and our kindest wishes for your future together … however long it may be. xx
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Gilla.Walmsley

Geum recommendations

I have never had much luck keeping geums going, but I could be very tempted to try Maddy Prior or Etrixia from that website. :)Best look away before I get carried away! :biggrin:
    I have never had much luck keeping geums going, but I could be very tempted to try Maddy Prior or Etrixia from that website. :)Best look away before I get carried away! :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jocko

Back after a long layoff.

Hi @Jocko - I'm also a 'new' ish member here. Hope your health continues to improve and you get some decent weather for your gardening exploits. Take it easy :) Looking at your pix, I also think...
    Hi @Jocko - I'm also a 'new' ish member here. Hope your health continues to improve and you get some decent weather for your gardening exploits. Take it easy :) Looking at your pix, I also think rats are the most likely reason, as they can certainly get through samll gaps, and make the most of...
    Hi @Jocko - I'm also a 'new' ish member here. Hope your health continues to improve and you get some decent weather for your gardening exploits. Take it easy :) Looking at your pix, I also think rats are the most likely reason, as they can...
    Hi @Jocko - I'm also a 'new' ish member here. Hope your health continues to improve and you get some decent weather for your gardening exploits. Take it easy :) Looking at your pix, I also think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Angie Jones (nut)

Tulipa sprengeri

Thanks pd, I think I'll go with that
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Greenfield81

Front garden design and size - thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. caitlin lodge

Leylandii chippings

The bottom half of my raised vegetable bed was leylandii chippings - no problem at all.
    The bottom half of my raised vegetable bed was leylandii chippings - no problem at all.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. BB3

Doing more harm than good

I've just taken delivery of a 20 metre roll of copper tape to put round my pots. That, combined with a garlic spray, has certainly helped in the past.
    I've just taken delivery of a 20 metre roll of copper tape to put round my pots. That, combined with a garlic spray, has certainly helped in the past.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Emerion

Last frost dates near Guildford - this can’t be right can it?

Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw.,...
    Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw., Worc. and pass Cirencester, it's often sunny. As soon as we leave Thames valley and go up the...
    Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw., Worc. and pass Cirencester, it's often sunny. As...
    Our airport from timesanddate is between Cheltenham and Oxford, and they have a completely different weather than we have. I can't use timesanddate for that reason. If we come from Glouc., Warw.,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. micearguers
    Like x 17

Fond of Fronds

Dryopteris filix-mas.Dryopteris erythrosora.
    IMG_20240318_111155.jpg IMG_20240318_111206.jpg IMG_20240318_111215.jpg IMG_20240318_111221.jpg image.jpeg PXL_20240312_135907163.PORTRAIT.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. glosmike
    Informative x 8

Warning for new gardeners …..

That's the method I use Tinkerton:thumbsup: I very rarely wear gloves.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. TheMadHedger

Hedging plants that love shade, preferably that grow fast and maybe even flowering?

I should have said that Griselinia does flower, but the flowers are insignificant @TheMadHedger!
    I should have said that Griselinia does flower, but the flowers are insignificant @TheMadHedger!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. fumanchu

Best compost mix for alpines?

I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the...
    I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the main roots and would cause rotting over the winter with holding too much water .... and the plants...
    I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the main roots and would cause rotting over the winter...
    I watched a gardening programme many moons ago and they washed all the multipurpose compost off the roots from the alpine plants before planting as the compost was too soggy to the stems and the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Punkdoc
    Agree x 14

Location, location location

Love the Buachaille, @fairygirl, it was my first proper winter route.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. puschkinia

Acer palmatum - branch dieback

I'll do that. What a relief, it's such a beautiful tree. Thank you!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice