1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Snowbaby

Square metres and metres squared

Yes that is what I would ask if I was you... Best of all make a drawing with sizes and show it to them.
    Yes that is what I would ask if I was you... Best of all make a drawing with sizes and show it to them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. longk
    Like x 6

Super Salvias!

I promised myself a couple of weeks off this Christmas and as such have not been checking my emails. Whilst checking RobinsSalvias site I noticed that the seed list wasn't up yet, so I relented...
    I promised myself a couple of weeks off this Christmas and as such have not been checking my emails. Whilst checking RobinsSalvias site I noticed that the seed list wasn't up yet, so I relented and checked my email - got an email from Robin with the seed list attached!So if you are doing the...
    I promised myself a couple of weeks off this Christmas and as such have not been checking my emails. Whilst checking RobinsSalvias site I noticed that the seed list wasn't up yet, so I relented and checked my email - got an email from Robin with...
    I promised myself a couple of weeks off this Christmas and as such have not been checking my emails. Whilst checking RobinsSalvias site I noticed that the seed list wasn't up yet, so I relented...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Daisies

Garden hose/attachments problems

You all seem to be concentrating on the fittings. Do you use the "cheapo" green hose with braiding? Don't, it's rubbish and not thick enough for the fittings. Use the heavy duty "Yellow" hose...
    You all seem to be concentrating on the fittings. Do you use the "cheapo" green hose with braiding? Don't, it's rubbish and not thick enough for the fittings. Use the heavy duty "Yellow" hose which is thicker, tougher, does not kink and makes a better joint with the fittings. If you search...
    You all seem to be concentrating on the fittings. Do you use the "cheapo" green hose with braiding? Don't, it's rubbish and not thick enough for the fittings. Use the heavy duty "Yellow" hose which is thicker, tougher, does not kink and makes a...
    You all seem to be concentrating on the fittings. Do you use the "cheapo" green hose with braiding? Don't, it's rubbish and not thick enough for the fittings. Use the heavy duty "Yellow" hose...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Kevin Cowans

My Garden Progress

Hi Kevin,What you need now is some positive thinking. :) After a couple of dodgy years, fingers crossed that your luck changes for the better. :fingers crossed:
    Hi Kevin,What you need now is some positive thinking. :) After a couple of dodgy years, fingers crossed that your luck changes for the better. :fingers crossed:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. JackJJW
    Like x 6

Dahlias

Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Perhaps more folk should try leaving their dahlias in the ground! Prob more damage ....rotting, etc....caused by digging up tubers and exposing them to the elements! :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. DenProject

Grass growing between patio slabs :(

I use a flame gun, quick and easy and its fun.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ilan

Castor oil plant poisonous?

Silly Mr Sveden. No it wouldn't have gone 'full term' because there's no sunlight in your lungs, and the Jolly Green Giant does sweetcorn, not peas.
    Silly Mr Sveden. No it wouldn't have gone 'full term' because there's no sunlight in your lungs, and the Jolly Green Giant does sweetcorn, not peas.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Lily1968

Slippery Decking

Some really good advise on slippery decking :dbgrtmb: mine is the same, inherited.During the summer it's fine but very slippy when wet. It's a great place to eat out in the summer months and I like its...
    Some really good advise on slippery decking :dbgrtmb: mine is the same, inherited.During the summer it's fine but very slippy when wet. It's a great place to eat out in the summer months and I like its position. I have just purchased anti slip Cuprinol so hoping it will work after a good clean :spinning:
    Some really good advise on slippery decking :dbgrtmb: mine is the same, inherited.During the summer it's fine but very slippy when wet. It's a great place to eat out in the summer months and I like its position. I have just purchased anti slip Cuprinol...
    Some really good advise on slippery decking :dbgrtmb: mine is the same, inherited.During the summer it's fine but very slippy when wet. It's a great place to eat out in the summer months and I like its...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. ARMANDII
    Like x 4

FUCHSIA'S - 2015

New thread for 2016 - HERE
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Spruce
    Like x 14

What's Looking Good In June 2013

I bought one Pennisetum burgundy giant a couple of years ago from a garden centre. It had burgundy red leaves and long rosy / maroon plumes. A most handsome plant indeed. I knew it was tender, but...
    I bought one Pennisetum burgundy giant a couple of years ago from a garden centre. It had burgundy red leaves and long rosy / maroon plumes. A most handsome plant indeed. I knew it was tender, but still by October it died :cry3:. I think some of them probably need tropical conditions :scratch: . Unfortunately...
    I bought one Pennisetum burgundy giant a couple of years ago from a garden centre. It had burgundy red leaves and long rosy / maroon plumes. A most handsome plant indeed. I knew it was tender, but still by October it died :cry3:. I think some of them...
    I bought one Pennisetum burgundy giant a couple of years ago from a garden centre. It had burgundy red leaves and long rosy / maroon plumes. A most handsome plant indeed. I knew it was tender, but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. bonjen3

should I rotavate my garden ?

If you are not in too much of a hurry then I would spray the weeds with a Glyphosate based weedkiller first. ONLY use it when you are SURE there will be 6 hours of dry afterwards. It will take 2...
    If you are not in too much of a hurry then I would spray the weeds with a Glyphosate based weedkiller first. ONLY use it when you are SURE there will be 6 hours of dry afterwards. It will take 2 weeks before the weeds go yellow and die, after that you can rotavate (and much less risk that you...
    If you are not in too much of a hurry then I would spray the weeds with a Glyphosate based weedkiller first. ONLY use it when you are SURE there will be 6 hours of dry afterwards. It will take 2 weeks before the weeds go yellow and die, after...
    If you are not in too much of a hurry then I would spray the weeds with a Glyphosate based weedkiller first. ONLY use it when you are SURE there will be 6 hours of dry afterwards. It will take 2...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. tirednewdad

Perennial Wallflower Cuttings

tirednewdad99 Brilliant! Thanks again :) So, I wait a couple of months and then begin taking cuttings. Zigs - no wonder mine have continued to flower throughout this wretched weather ......
    tirednewdad99 Brilliant! Thanks again :) So, I wait a couple of months and then begin taking cuttings. Zigs - no wonder mine have continued to flower throughout this wretched weather ... they've got chicken poo surrounding them :heehee:
    tirednewdad99 Brilliant! Thanks again :) So, I wait a couple of months and then begin taking cuttings. Zigs - no wonder mine have continued to flower throughout this wretched weather ... they've got chicken poo surrounding them :heehee:
    tirednewdad99 Brilliant! Thanks again :) So, I wait a couple of months and then begin taking cuttings. Zigs - no wonder mine have continued to flower throughout this wretched weather ......
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Amph

Concrete garden. Badly need ideas and quickly! Please help!

There could well be a load of rubbish under the concrete.Thankfully, a lot of people concrete just to avoid cutting grass, so there's 50 / 50 chance of just a slab of concrete.
    There could well be a load of rubbish under the concrete.Thankfully, a lot of people concrete just to avoid cutting grass, so there's 50 / 50 chance of just a slab of concrete.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. alp
    Like x 7

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions on topics from latest bloom to wildlife.

Thread closed as it is getting a bit long.New thread - Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)
    Thread closed as it is getting a bit long.New thread - Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. exlabman

Red leaves on jasmine

@TaraMaiden we are :heehee: Your new garden sounds lovely and I bet once you have the jasmine planted they will love their new place. I completely understand what you mean by having a attachment to them....
    @TaraMaiden we are :heehee: Your new garden sounds lovely and I bet once you have the jasmine planted they will love their new place. I completely understand what you mean by having a attachment to them. It sounds crazy but it's so true. I first smelt a jasmine whilst on holiday in Greece many moons...
    @TaraMaiden we are :heehee: Your new garden sounds lovely and I bet once you have the jasmine planted they will love their new place. I completely understand what you mean by having a attachment to them. It sounds crazy but it's so true. I first smelt...
    @TaraMaiden we are :heehee: Your new garden sounds lovely and I bet once you have the jasmine planted they will love their new place. I completely understand what you mean by having a attachment to them....
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Val..

Phostrogen

What this chap at the flower show also said - is that you don't want to overfeed. He explained that if you have too much of some chemicals in the compost it prevents the plant taking up some...
    What this chap at the flower show also said - is that you don't want to overfeed. He explained that if you have too much of some chemicals in the compost it prevents the plant taking up some others. Which is exactly Hex's point. Essentially he was saying follow the instructions. He winced when I...
    What this chap at the flower show also said - is that you don't want to overfeed. He explained that if you have too much of some chemicals in the compost it prevents the plant taking up some others. Which is exactly Hex's point. Essentially he...
    What this chap at the flower show also said - is that you don't want to overfeed. He explained that if you have too much of some chemicals in the compost it prevents the plant taking up some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Shed Head

Laying a gravel path on top of concrete?

messypup,Love that idea of the manhole mosaic especially if you collect the pebbles yourself, how cheap! Or like you say smashing up old tiles would be a cool feature too.TO
    messypup,Love that idea of the manhole mosaic especially if you collect the pebbles yourself, how cheap! Or like you say smashing up old tiles would be a cool feature too.TO
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. amme

can anyone tell me how fast yew will grow

I would not leave in water for more than 10 - 20 minutes. Do that a couple of times a day if you cannot plant them immediately, and leave them in a dark / cool place - back of the garage for...
    I would not leave in water for more than 10 - 20 minutes. Do that a couple of times a day if you cannot plant them immediately, and leave them in a dark / cool place - back of the garage for example. Do not include any fertiliser in the water - but putting some bonemeal in the bottom of the...
    I would not leave in water for more than 10 - 20 minutes. Do that a couple of times a day if you cannot plant them immediately, and leave them in a dark / cool place - back of the garage for example. Do not include any fertiliser in the water -...
    I would not leave in water for more than 10 - 20 minutes. Do that a couple of times a day if you cannot plant them immediately, and leave them in a dark / cool place - back of the garage for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. HarryS

Wilko's Grass Seed

Pictures of the back lawn before and after . Scarifying , spiking (hard work ! ) ,patches reseeded and top dressed with a mix of top soil , sharp sand and MPC ( all sieved - hard work again !...
    Pictures of the back lawn before and after . Scarifying , spiking (hard work ! ) ,patches reseeded and top dressed with a mix of top soil , sharp sand and MPC ( all sieved - hard work again ! ) The new seed is just starting to show after 2 weeks . I am using the sprinkler but hopefully we will...
    Pictures of the back lawn before and after . Scarifying , spiking (hard work ! ) ,patches reseeded and top dressed with a mix of top soil , sharp sand and MPC ( all sieved - hard work again ! ) The new seed is just starting to show after 2 weeks...
    Pictures of the back lawn before and after . Scarifying , spiking (hard work ! ) ,patches reseeded and top dressed with a mix of top soil , sharp sand and MPC ( all sieved - hard work again !...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Dawn78

Shed roof leaking

I re-roofed my tea-house a few weeks ago, using the proper adhesive and a polymer non-tear 40g felt. £40 quid a roll! One side has an un-mineralised edge and this should be positioned at the...
    I re-roofed my tea-house a few weeks ago, using the proper adhesive and a polymer non-tear 40g felt. £40 quid a roll! One side has an un-mineralised edge and this should be positioned at the top and the underside of the sheet that goes above it glued then nailed to the lower sheet. (youngest...
    I re-roofed my tea-house a few weeks ago, using the proper adhesive and a polymer non-tear 40g felt. £40 quid a roll! One side has an un-mineralised edge and this should be positioned at the top and the underside of the sheet that goes above...
    I re-roofed my tea-house a few weeks ago, using the proper adhesive and a polymer non-tear 40g felt. £40 quid a roll! One side has an un-mineralised edge and this should be positioned at the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice