1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. PhilC

Can i still save this Daphne? (Perfume Princess)

I doubt it likes being indoors. I would get it outside pronto, somewhere sheltered and give it a good watering, it looks to have dried out which is fatal for all Daphnes.They also hate being...
    I doubt it likes being indoors. I would get it outside pronto, somewhere sheltered and give it a good watering, it looks to have dried out which is fatal for all Daphnes.They also hate being moved or repotted into smaller containers. They really need to be planted straight away and left alone,...
    I doubt it likes being indoors. I would get it outside pronto, somewhere sheltered and give it a good watering, it looks to have dried out which is fatal for all Daphnes.They also hate being moved or repotted into smaller containers. They...
    I doubt it likes being indoors. I would get it outside pronto, somewhere sheltered and give it a good watering, it looks to have dried out which is fatal for all Daphnes.They also hate being...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Andrew Kennedy

geraniums - potting up

I feed my Geraniums (Pelargoniums) all summer & they spend a couple of years in the same pots. Though I take lots of cutting & start many afresh every year. The cutting once they grow & flower...
    I feed my Geraniums (Pelargoniums) all summer & they spend a couple of years in the same pots. Though I take lots of cutting & start many afresh every year. The cutting once they grow & flower always look much better that the others.
    I feed my Geraniums (Pelargoniums) all summer & they spend a couple of years in the same pots. Though I take lots of cutting & start many afresh every year. The cutting once they grow & flower always look much better that the others.
    I feed my Geraniums (Pelargoniums) all summer & they spend a couple of years in the same pots. Though I take lots of cutting & start many afresh every year. The cutting once they grow & flower...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Loofah

Philodendron

You maybe right @pete as a lot of varieties seem to be blurred now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. PhilC

Best indoor potting mixes?

Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so...
    Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so decided to try and make something that is very well draining but also holds water and nutrients...
    Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so decided to try and make something that is very well...
    Hey everyone,Just wanted to check what people have generally found to be the best mix for their pots indoors all year? (Not general purpose compost)I generally overwater things in winter so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Grandma Sue

DIY self-watering!

A janitors string mop would be a suitable cheap source:# www.screwfix.com/p/stronghold-healthcare-kentucky-mop-heads-white/844kh
    A janitors string mop would be a suitable cheap source:# www.screwfix.com/p/stronghold-healthcare-kentucky-mop-heads-white/844kh
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. fumanchu

Azaleas

Thanks suepp. I have two fairly big pots. Will try it and see how it goes. :spinning:
    Thanks suepp. I have two fairly big pots. Will try it and see how it goes. :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. NigelJ
    Like x 16

What's looking good February 2024

Some very nice Hellebores on show :) makes me think I need some more :ideaIPB:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Drahcir

Indoors: resilient plant for window sill?

I'd avoid plants with thin leaves, a radiator right beneath would spell brown edges and tips.Something a bit more succulent would be better, such as the Sansevieria already mentioned....
    I'd avoid plants with thin leaves, a radiator right beneath would spell brown edges and tips.Something a bit more succulent would be better, such as the Sansevieria already mentioned.Crassulas are worth looking into, the most common is Money Tree (Ovata) which may flower, but there are a...
    I'd avoid plants with thin leaves, a radiator right beneath would spell brown edges and tips.Something a bit more succulent would be better, such as the Sansevieria already mentioned.Crassulas are worth looking into, the most common is...
    I'd avoid plants with thin leaves, a radiator right beneath would spell brown edges and tips.Something a bit more succulent would be better, such as the Sansevieria already mentioned....
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Lady Garden ;)

What's the best method to clean sewage spill on grass?

I've always found that the predators are well behind the pests come spring. I'm not really bothered with aphids but other more persistent pests are often a problem.
    I've always found that the predators are well behind the pests come spring. I'm not really bothered with aphids but other more persistent pests are often a problem.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Michael Hewett

Moving rheubob

When my offspring were toddlers they called it ubbub. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. PhilC

Greenhouse heater settings?

For most typical overwintering plants we find 3 or 4c is enough to keep them going, are you doing that or trying to keep some plant growing more actively?We have our sensor about 4ft high and...
    For most typical overwintering plants we find 3 or 4c is enough to keep them going, are you doing that or trying to keep some plant growing more actively?We have our sensor about 4ft high and the heater on the floor, and yes you will always have the temperature layering. The only way to...
    For most typical overwintering plants we find 3 or 4c is enough to keep them going, are you doing that or trying to keep some plant growing more actively?We have our sensor about 4ft high and the heater on the floor, and yes you will always...
    For most typical overwintering plants we find 3 or 4c is enough to keep them going, are you doing that or trying to keep some plant growing more actively?We have our sensor about 4ft high and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Baalmaiden

What have you given up trying to grow?

Actually I get lily beetles on Fritillarias. I always forget to look for them before they make those horrible larvae. mind you the larvae are easy to catch. You have to sneak up on the beetles and...
    Actually I get lily beetles on Fritillarias. I always forget to look for them before they make those horrible larvae. mind you the larvae are easy to catch. You have to sneak up on the beetles and put something under them to fall into when they jump off the leaves. I gave away my lily bulbs last...
    Actually I get lily beetles on Fritillarias. I always forget to look for them before they make those horrible larvae. mind you the larvae are easy to catch. You have to sneak up on the beetles and put something under them to fall into when they...
    Actually I get lily beetles on Fritillarias. I always forget to look for them before they make those horrible larvae. mind you the larvae are easy to catch. You have to sneak up on the beetles and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Matteo

Gardening Tools Survey

Both :- I have lots of tender plants commonly called 'houseplants' many of which spend the summer months outside, and others indoors all year round. I have quite a collection of cacti and...
    Both :- I have lots of tender plants commonly called 'houseplants' many of which spend the summer months outside, and others indoors all year round. I have quite a collection of cacti and succulents spread between a greenhouse, some cold frames, and a perspex shelter. I also have a long garden...
    Both :- I have lots of tender plants commonly called 'houseplants' many of which spend the summer months outside, and others indoors all year round. I have quite a collection of cacti and succulents spread between a greenhouse, some cold frames,...
    Both :- I have lots of tender plants commonly called 'houseplants' many of which spend the summer months outside, and others indoors all year round. I have quite a collection of cacti and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. TheMadHedger

ground ivy - easiest way to remove?

Thanks but no, it's just your normal looking ivy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Clueless 1 v2
    Friendly x 3

Starting again, new year, new start, new strategy

I will achieve it, as long as I don't get blindsided again.When I returned to the world of martial arts after 20 years off, a lot of family and friends would tactfully suggest I was too old for...
    I will achieve it, as long as I don't get blindsided again.When I returned to the world of martial arts after 20 years off, a lot of family and friends would tactfully suggest I was too old for it, I'll hurt myself or do myself a mischief. I would laugh, and tell them I'm getting younger. Of...
    I will achieve it, as long as I don't get blindsided again.When I returned to the world of martial arts after 20 years off, a lot of family and friends would tactfully suggest I was too old for it, I'll hurt myself or do myself a mischief. I...
    I will achieve it, as long as I don't get blindsided again.When I returned to the world of martial arts after 20 years off, a lot of family and friends would tactfully suggest I was too old for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. CarolineL

Tetrapanax papyrifer -Rex?

Not sure if this will work @CarolineL Log into Facebook
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Geoff Collins UK

Garden Project 2024 Help and Advice

Think its doing you a favour being so overgrown rather than having cars below.Looking at your new pics can see things better, though our ideas probably different to yours.The car park wall...
    Think its doing you a favour being so overgrown rather than having cars below.Looking at your new pics can see things better, though our ideas probably different to yours.The car park wall looks like it may be concrete posts with concrete panels slotted between them ? so you may find in the...
    Think its doing you a favour being so overgrown rather than having cars below.Looking at your new pics can see things better, though our ideas probably different to yours.The car park wall looks like it may be concrete posts with concrete...
    Think its doing you a favour being so overgrown rather than having cars below.Looking at your new pics can see things better, though our ideas probably different to yours.The car park wall...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fat Controller

The tail of 2 dogs, a fence and a gate...

I keep my Eleagnus hedges very narrow, about 2' / 60cm. The rest, grown as freestanding shrubs, are kept within bounds by one trim a year and a savage hack once every 5-6 years :dbgrtmb:
    I keep my Eleagnus hedges very narrow, about 2' / 60cm. The rest, grown as freestanding shrubs, are kept within bounds by one trim a year and a savage hack once every 5-6 years :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Janet mahay

Confers?

Hi all thanks I got a climber but as Nigel suggested Hawthorne great idea thanks
    Hi all thanks I got a climber but as Nigel suggested Hawthorne great idea thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK

What's looking good January 2024

Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice