General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. darlie chimmock

violet cress

thanks very much palustris, very helpful.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Feline

Border edging

In terms of budget solutions, the taller log roll stuff is pretty good, at least for a few years. Goes very brittle after that. Morrisons usually have a "2 for a fiver" or similar offer around...
    In terms of budget solutions, the taller log roll stuff is pretty good, at least for a few years. Goes very brittle after that. Morrisons usually have a "2 for a fiver" or similar offer around this time of year.Wilkinsons is also good for that sort of stuff - their prices are generally around...
    In terms of budget solutions, the taller log roll stuff is pretty good, at least for a few years. Goes very brittle after that. Morrisons usually have a "2 for a fiver" or similar offer around this time of year.Wilkinsons is also good for that...
    In terms of budget solutions, the taller log roll stuff is pretty good, at least for a few years. Goes very brittle after that. Morrisons usually have a "2 for a fiver" or similar offer around...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Jilly P

front garden -oops!

Hi Jilly - it would depend on the type of ground cover plant. If they spread by rooting themselves as they go, then they won't get much further, but if they spread out from the central root, they...
    Hi Jilly - it would depend on the type of ground cover plant. If they spread by rooting themselves as they go, then they won't get much further, but if they spread out from the central root, they should just grow over the bark. That's what I have done in my front garden and they're spreading...
    Hi Jilly - it would depend on the type of ground cover plant. If they spread by rooting themselves as they go, then they won't get much further, but if they spread out from the central root, they should just grow over the bark. That's what I have...
    Hi Jilly - it would depend on the type of ground cover plant. If they spread by rooting themselves as they go, then they won't get much further, but if they spread out from the central root, they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Jaycee

flowers

Thanks to all for the advice. I have taken it onboard and planted a selection of your recommendations, I look forward to seeing how they fare. Thanks again Jaycee.
    Thanks to all for the advice. I have taken it onboard and planted a selection of your recommendations, I look forward to seeing how they fare. Thanks again Jaycee.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Rich

Took a day off from the garden today...

The first time I heard of toad lilies was at this site. I saw pictures and had to have some.
    The first time I heard of toad lilies was at this site. I saw pictures and had to have some.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. vivienne

books

There are so many garden books around and fashions come and go. (Does anyone still go in for decking and spray their fences purple?)Who are your all time favourite garden writers?I can...
    There are so many garden books around and fashions come and go. (Does anyone still go in for decking and spray their fences purple?)Who are your all time favourite garden writers?I can shortlist four:Margery Fish is my number one. Her series of books are probably out of print now. She...
    There are so many garden books around and fashions come and go. (Does anyone still go in for decking and spray their fences purple?)Who are your all time favourite garden writers?I can shortlist four:Margery Fish is my number one. Her...
    There are so many garden books around and fashions come and go. (Does anyone still go in for decking and spray their fences purple?)Who are your all time favourite garden writers?I can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. vivienne

Yucca

Depends on what kind it is, some are hardy some are not. In general if it was bought as a house plant it wont be hardy exept in a very warm sheltered spot.
    Depends on what kind it is, some are hardy some are not. In general if it was bought as a house plant it wont be hardy exept in a very warm sheltered spot.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. chkm8

Fuschia cuttings

Fuchsias take well from heeled, soft wood or tip cuttings. At this time of year when they are only just starting into growth, I would wait until there are some decent sized shoots, and then try...
    Fuchsias take well from heeled, soft wood or tip cuttings. At this time of year when they are only just starting into growth, I would wait until there are some decent sized shoots, and then try tip cuttings.Later in the year, try soft wood and heeled cuttings if the tip cuttings did not take....
    Fuchsias take well from heeled, soft wood or tip cuttings. At this time of year when they are only just starting into growth, I would wait until there are some decent sized shoots, and then try tip cuttings.Later in the year, try soft wood and...
    Fuchsias take well from heeled, soft wood or tip cuttings. At this time of year when they are only just starting into growth, I would wait until there are some decent sized shoots, and then try...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Waco

Time

um have forgotten how philosophical us gardeners can be! AND all very romantic.Have the time at the moment but not the strength!
    um have forgotten how philosophical us gardeners can be! AND all very romantic.Have the time at the moment but not the strength!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. mowgley

Clematis

Before people start getting paranoid about clematis wilt, it is actually fairly rare these days. It is more often slug or snail damage which causes the stems to die back. They do love to nibble...
    Before people start getting paranoid about clematis wilt, it is actually fairly rare these days. It is more often slug or snail damage which causes the stems to die back. They do love to nibble the bark off at ground level. It is also their chewing which can let in wilt. Mowgley, as clematis...
    Before people start getting paranoid about clematis wilt, it is actually fairly rare these days. It is more often slug or snail damage which causes the stems to die back. They do love to nibble the bark off at ground level. It is also their...
    Before people start getting paranoid about clematis wilt, it is actually fairly rare these days. It is more often slug or snail damage which causes the stems to die back. They do love to nibble...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Shaun

Where do I begin?

Hi Shaun, Dave has a valid point about the Leyllandii, but if you have a railway line the other side, they are probably the thing to cut the noise down. Just promise to keep them trimmed &...
    Hi Shaun, Dave has a valid point about the Leyllandii, but if you have a railway line the other side, they are probably the thing to cut the noise down. Just promise to keep them trimmed & feed the lawn etc. ;) Look through the forum & also have a look at container gardening. You...
    Hi Shaun, Dave has a valid point about the Leyllandii, but if you have a railway line the other side, they are probably the thing to cut the noise down. Just promise to keep them trimmed & feed the lawn etc. ;) Look through the forum...
    Hi Shaun, Dave has a valid point about the Leyllandii, but if you have a railway line the other side, they are probably the thing to cut the noise down. Just promise to keep them trimmed &...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Dustaminnie

Senetti Pericallis

Glad they had what you wanted....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Shaun

Who Sells These Hanging Basket Brackets?

Thanks all, I've sent some enquires off to both Homebase and Pounstretcher - let's see what happens
    Thanks all, I've sent some enquires off to both Homebase and Pounstretcher - let's see what happens
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. chkm8

Help me drain this swamp.

Good advice Waco,My father had the same problem on 2 1/4 acres, has woodland behind him and he is at the bottom of the hill, so all excess water used to soak into his plot and stay there, he got...
    Good advice Waco,My father had the same problem on 2 1/4 acres, has woodland behind him and he is at the bottom of the hill, so all excess water used to soak into his plot and stay there, he got a mini digger in, dug a trench 18" wide along the back edge and down one side to the bottom, where...
    Good advice Waco,My father had the same problem on 2 1/4 acres, has woodland behind him and he is at the bottom of the hill, so all excess water used to soak into his plot and stay there, he got a mini digger in, dug a trench 18" wide along the...
    Good advice Waco,My father had the same problem on 2 1/4 acres, has woodland behind him and he is at the bottom of the hill, so all excess water used to soak into his plot and stay there, he got...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Dave from Newcastle

Droopy Leycesteria formosa

I agree with Dave. If you have just moved it - it did not like the move. As Dave says, in a healthy plant roots and foliage are in balance. If you reduce the roots (as you must do when you move...
    I agree with Dave. If you have just moved it - it did not like the move. As Dave says, in a healthy plant roots and foliage are in balance. If you reduce the roots (as you must do when you move something) you must often reduce the foliage to keep them in balance.
    I agree with Dave. If you have just moved it - it did not like the move. As Dave says, in a healthy plant roots and foliage are in balance. If you reduce the roots (as you must do when you move something) you must often reduce the foliage to...
    I agree with Dave. If you have just moved it - it did not like the move. As Dave says, in a healthy plant roots and foliage are in balance. If you reduce the roots (as you must do when you move...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jupiter

A sick passion flower needs help

Mine just dropped dead! Antithesis of a wild fl;ower I would have thought though.
    Mine just dropped dead! Antithesis of a wild fl;ower I would have thought though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Liz

Louise Rowe

its lovely it would look nice up my fence!! dont worry about the greenhouse you havnt seen the state of mine i cant even get in the door...and its like a lucky dip as i have not labelled...
    its lovely it would look nice up my fence!! dont worry about the greenhouse you havnt seen the state of mine i cant even get in the door...and its like a lucky dip as i have not labelled anything..so each thing that emerges is a surprise..
    its lovely it would look nice up my fence!! dont worry about the greenhouse you havnt seen the state of mine i cant even get in the door...and its like a lucky dip as i have not labelled anything..so each thing that emerges is a surprise..
    its lovely it would look nice up my fence!! dont worry about the greenhouse you havnt seen the state of mine i cant even get in the door...and its like a lucky dip as i have not labelled...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Stingo

Spanish bluebells

Well what you lot have told me are Spanish bluebells are so fare behaving very well, as to ground elder AAhhhhhhhhh........don't mention the word before I have to go to bed! Nightmares agsain!
    Well what you lot have told me are Spanish bluebells are so fare behaving very well, as to ground elder AAhhhhhhhhh........don't mention the word before I have to go to bed! Nightmares agsain!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Jim12345

Help.......Where to begin?

Thank you all for your help and advice so far! Much appreciated!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Tracey B

Plants that deter bees/wasps/mossies?

Wasps do a lot of good in the garden. They take many insect pests to feed the developing larvae in the nest. Last year I watched a mid air tussel between a wasp and a crane fly. Both fell to the...
    Wasps do a lot of good in the garden. They take many insect pests to feed the developing larvae in the nest. Last year I watched a mid air tussel between a wasp and a crane fly. Both fell to the ground and the daddylonglegs made an escape leaving a very cross wasp! They also do some pollinating....
    Wasps do a lot of good in the garden. They take many insect pests to feed the developing larvae in the nest. Last year I watched a mid air tussel between a wasp and a crane fly. Both fell to the ground and the daddylonglegs made an escape leaving...
    Wasps do a lot of good in the garden. They take many insect pests to feed the developing larvae in the nest. Last year I watched a mid air tussel between a wasp and a crane fly. Both fell to the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice