1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. Scotkat

A friend looking for a railing window box

Hi Scotkat, my friend has boxes on railingsThe one he uses most ishas used:wink: But what he does most of the time is just get the brackets as he cannot make them & gets boxes to suit.....
    Hi Scotkat, my friend has boxes on railingsThe one he uses most ishas used:wink: But what he does most of the time is just get the brackets as he cannot make them & gets boxes to suit.. Maybe your friend knows someone who could make the brackets.. :wink:
    Hi Scotkat, my friend has boxes on railingsThe one he uses most ishas used:wink: But what he does most of the time is just get the brackets as he cannot make them & gets boxes to suit.. Maybe your friend knows someone who could make the...
    Hi Scotkat, my friend has boxes on railingsThe one he uses most ishas used:wink: But what he does most of the time is just get the brackets as he cannot make them & gets boxes to suit.....
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. michael blackburn

mr michael blackburn

Hi Michael There is a thread in this forum that might be of some help to you.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. dbaplaya

over fed on plant food

Flush the pot with plenty of fresh water (not too cold) to leach the excess nutrients from the soil as soon as you can. If left, the neat plantfood will likely burn it to death.
    Flush the pot with plenty of fresh water (not too cold) to leach the excess nutrients from the soil as soon as you can. If left, the neat plantfood will likely burn it to death.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Liz W

How to use fleece?

Leave it as long as you like Liz. The plants will push it up (providing you not got it pegged down tight) and as well as keeping the plants warm it keeps the bugs off.
    Leave it as long as you like Liz. The plants will push it up (providing you not got it pegged down tight) and as well as keeping the plants warm it keeps the bugs off.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. pamsdish

TA DA

:yho: Great news..!! What are you planning to grow in there this year then.?? :thmb:
    :yho: Great news..!! What are you planning to grow in there this year then.?? :thmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sevensisters

Starting in shallow soil - need help/ideas

rockery plants are used to growing in limited and poor soil.This time of year aubretia and alyssum. All year round coloured thyme.take out the old compost and replace with a mix of JI...
    rockery plants are used to growing in limited and poor soil.This time of year aubretia and alyssum. All year round coloured thyme.take out the old compost and replace with a mix of JI compost, soil, grit and normal compost and a bit of bonemeal.
    rockery plants are used to growing in limited and poor soil.This time of year aubretia and alyssum. All year round coloured thyme.take out the old compost and replace with a mix of JI compost, soil, grit and normal compost and a bit of...
    rockery plants are used to growing in limited and poor soil.This time of year aubretia and alyssum. All year round coloured thyme.take out the old compost and replace with a mix of JI...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ger_ryan22

Extreme Makeover - Extreme Novice

The 'before' photograph will help. Make a list of what you want from the garden - lots of flowers, somewhere to relax, vegetables, children's play area? This might be better than trying to...
    The 'before' photograph will help. Make a list of what you want from the garden - lots of flowers, somewhere to relax, vegetables, children's play area? This might be better than trying to re-create how it used to look like. If the previous owner was an avid gardener and retired, she will...
    The 'before' photograph will help. Make a list of what you want from the garden - lots of flowers, somewhere to relax, vegetables, children's play area? This might be better than trying to re-create how it used to look like. If the previous...
    The 'before' photograph will help. Make a list of what you want from the garden - lots of flowers, somewhere to relax, vegetables, children's play area? This might be better than trying to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. alana

Besieged by Violets

i have the same problem, theres loads this year!!! i let them grow in one border out the back, but theyre even in the lawn tihs year!
    i have the same problem, theres loads this year!!! i let them grow in one border out the back, but theyre even in the lawn tihs year!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Scotkat

Magnolia Niger

:thumb: Oh my Scotkat Nigra.? it is a real stunner too.. I hope the weather will be with you soon for planting... I would love one but to have another tree here now, will mean getting rid of one &...
    :thumb: Oh my Scotkat Nigra.? it is a real stunner too.. I hope the weather will be with you soon for planting... I would love one but to have another tree here now, will mean getting rid of one & I am not ready for that, but I have made up my mind to replace with a magnolia when I do... :thumb:
    :thumb: Oh my Scotkat Nigra.? it is a real stunner too.. I hope the weather will be with you soon for planting... I would love one but to have another tree here now, will mean getting rid of one & I am not ready for that, but I have made up my...
    :thumb: Oh my Scotkat Nigra.? it is a real stunner too.. I hope the weather will be with you soon for planting... I would love one but to have another tree here now, will mean getting rid of one &...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. endeavour

help please

Hi Endeavour, Well not too sure what your plants look like obviously, but to get spreading growth Trachelospermum jasminoides will spread faster if the upright shoots on any main side branches ...
    Hi Endeavour, Well not too sure what your plants look like obviously, but to get spreading growth Trachelospermum jasminoides will spread faster if the upright shoots on any main side branches are pruned back to the main stalk, forcing it to make more side growth. If that makes sense... :scratch:
    Hi Endeavour, Well not too sure what your plants look like obviously, but to get spreading growth Trachelospermum jasminoides will spread faster if the upright shoots on any main side branches are pruned back to the main stalk, forcing it to...
    Hi Endeavour, Well not too sure what your plants look like obviously, but to get spreading growth Trachelospermum jasminoides will spread faster if the upright shoots on any main side branches ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Hartley Botanic

alocasia advincula / "batwing" plant...

I had to google it just to make sure its not what's commonly known as the bat plant, (tacca).Not heard of it up till now, it looks interesting but I'm betting its not easy to keep. I'm a bit new...
    I had to google it just to make sure its not what's commonly known as the bat plant, (tacca).Not heard of it up till now, it looks interesting but I'm betting its not easy to keep. I'm a bit new to Alocasias myself, so cant help much.
    I had to google it just to make sure its not what's commonly known as the bat plant, (tacca).Not heard of it up till now, it looks interesting but I'm betting its not easy to keep. I'm a bit new to Alocasias myself, so cant help much.
    I had to google it just to make sure its not what's commonly known as the bat plant, (tacca).Not heard of it up till now, it looks interesting but I'm betting its not easy to keep. I'm a bit new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. whis4ey

The Gunnera

a nice problem to have Sam.:D
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. holttum

Marigold Seeds

Maybe they were not ripe when to picked them, you need to wait until the plant is at the point of shedding the seed before gathering.
    Maybe they were not ripe when to picked them, you need to wait until the plant is at the point of shedding the seed before gathering.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Blueroses

'Dwarf' conifer

When it comes down to it there are no such things as " dwarf " conifers. Just slow growing ones. A good gardener could probably keep an upright conifer under control, but the gardener would need...
    When it comes down to it there are no such things as " dwarf " conifers. Just slow growing ones. A good gardener could probably keep an upright conifer under control, but the gardener would need to be sympathetic to the tree.:)
    When it comes down to it there are no such things as " dwarf " conifers. Just slow growing ones. A good gardener could probably keep an upright conifer under control, but the gardener would need to be sympathetic to the tree.:)
    When it comes down to it there are no such things as " dwarf " conifers. Just slow growing ones. A good gardener could probably keep an upright conifer under control, but the gardener would need...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Cakey

Planting ideas for shed

If you want shrub roses then you cannot beat, Rosa Mundi. Superb flowers, superb scent.:gnthb:
    If you want shrub roses then you cannot beat, Rosa Mundi. Superb flowers, superb scent.:gnthb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. capney

First daffs for 2010

Lovely photos!I am finally seeing some too. It's been a long wait it seems, but they are popping up here and there now...
    Lovely photos!I am finally seeing some too. It's been a long wait it seems, but they are popping up here and there now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Victoria Plum

Clematis to cover fence? Clematis Montana Var. Rubens Pink Perfection

Hello Victoria. Clematis Montana is a very vigorous plant and will do a good job covering an ugly fence. They grow very quickly and will do well in the first year. You should have no problem...
    Hello Victoria. Clematis Montana is a very vigorous plant and will do a good job covering an ugly fence. They grow very quickly and will do well in the first year. You should have no problem finding one in a garden centre as they are very common. I would just buy the kind of usual standard size...
    Hello Victoria. Clematis Montana is a very vigorous plant and will do a good job covering an ugly fence. They grow very quickly and will do well in the first year. You should have no problem finding one in a garden centre as they are very common....
    Hello Victoria. Clematis Montana is a very vigorous plant and will do a good job covering an ugly fence. They grow very quickly and will do well in the first year. You should have no problem...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. maltaron

Garrotta

No I have never seen it in anything bigger than 3kgs maltaron. A compost accellerator is really a a method of ensuring a massive increase in the bacterial population of the heap. You do this by...
    No I have never seen it in anything bigger than 3kgs maltaron. A compost accellerator is really a a method of ensuring a massive increase in the bacterial population of the heap. You do this by adding a high nitrogen source.In the garden centres you can by Garotta in powder or liquid, but it...
    No I have never seen it in anything bigger than 3kgs maltaron. A compost accellerator is really a a method of ensuring a massive increase in the bacterial population of the heap. You do this by adding a high nitrogen source.In the garden...
    No I have never seen it in anything bigger than 3kgs maltaron. A compost accellerator is really a a method of ensuring a massive increase in the bacterial population of the heap. You do this by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. whis4ey

Filming at Fujiyama

Congratulations Sam, :gnthb: :yho: You have a wonderful garden and they obviously knew how to get quality when they needed it. :ntwrth: :ntwrth:
    Congratulations Sam, :gnthb: :yho: You have a wonderful garden and they obviously knew how to get quality when they needed it. :ntwrth: :ntwrth:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Doghouse Riley

Pruning, it has to be done!

me and hubby were busy outside. I pruned the wisteria which has gone mental and the hardy fuchsias and the buddlia. Also took the dead stuff off the old hanging baskets (which were in small...
    me and hubby were busy outside. I pruned the wisteria which has gone mental and the hardy fuchsias and the buddlia. Also took the dead stuff off the old hanging baskets (which were in small greenhouses), watered them and put the back undercover. half the plants from last year will regrow and...
    me and hubby were busy outside. I pruned the wisteria which has gone mental and the hardy fuchsias and the buddlia. Also took the dead stuff off the old hanging baskets (which were in small greenhouses), watered them and put the back undercover....
    me and hubby were busy outside. I pruned the wisteria which has gone mental and the hardy fuchsias and the buddlia. Also took the dead stuff off the old hanging baskets (which were in small...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice