1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. geoffhandley

Botrytis

There's a garlic spray which works quite well - used by professionals on cucumbers etc but can't think of the name at the moment. You could probably find it on t'internet
    There's a garlic spray which works quite well - used by professionals on cucumbers etc but can't think of the name at the moment. You could probably find it on t'internet
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. celine

Pansy has white leaves.

Has the white been on the leaves all the time? Apart from fungal infections leaf scorch can cause white marks, if they had been watered in sunlight while they were under glass, if they had wilted...
    Has the white been on the leaves all the time? Apart from fungal infections leaf scorch can cause white marks, if they had been watered in sunlight while they were under glass, if they had wilted badly before you got them.
    Has the white been on the leaves all the time? Apart from fungal infections leaf scorch can cause white marks, if they had been watered in sunlight while they were under glass, if they had wilted badly before you got them.
    Has the white been on the leaves all the time? Apart from fungal infections leaf scorch can cause white marks, if they had been watered in sunlight while they were under glass, if they had wilted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. sealwill

solution to transfering from a patio drive - grass/garden

Hi Sealwill, Could you use gravel.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Doghouse Riley

Here's a few ideas for you

I need a bigger garden!
    I need a bigger garden!
    I need a bigger garden!
    I need a bigger garden!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Belto

Saving gerainiums

This thread might be of some assistance
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. tattie

Planting Snowdrops/Minature Daffodils In Bark

Yep Plant into the soil under the mulch. The conditions down there might be a wee bit on the dry side, so, although it's not normally neccessary, water them in well, and possibly when they...
    Yep Plant into the soil under the mulch. The conditions down there might be a wee bit on the dry side, so, although it's not normally neccessary, water them in well, and possibly when they start growing. snowdrops especially don't like drying out!
    Yep Plant into the soil under the mulch. The conditions down there might be a wee bit on the dry side, so, although it's not normally neccessary, water them in well, and possibly when they start growing. snowdrops especially don't like drying out!
    Yep Plant into the soil under the mulch. The conditions down there might be a wee bit on the dry side, so, although it's not normally neccessary, water them in well, and possibly when they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. clueless!

bare patches and mushrooms

Hi CluelessBare patches - if they're not too big, I fill them with turfs cut from some other part of my lawn. Since I've been steadily reducing the size of my lawn since I moved to this...
    Hi CluelessBare patches - if they're not too big, I fill them with turfs cut from some other part of my lawn. Since I've been steadily reducing the size of my lawn since I moved to this house, I've always had "spare" turf for patching. Even if you have to buy turf, a roll or two is quite...
    Hi CluelessBare patches - if they're not too big, I fill them with turfs cut from some other part of my lawn. Since I've been steadily reducing the size of my lawn since I moved to this house, I've always had "spare" turf for patching. Even...
    Hi CluelessBare patches - if they're not too big, I fill them with turfs cut from some other part of my lawn. Since I've been steadily reducing the size of my lawn since I moved to this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. chriz1

Tuscarora Crape Myrtle

Not tried that particular plant myself, I have a feeling its mainly an American variety of Lagerstroemia indica. Its growerable in the UK but not really a reliable flower er, it needs hot...
    Not tried that particular plant myself, I have a feeling its mainly an American variety of Lagerstroemia indica. Its growerable in the UK but not really a reliable flower er, it needs hot summers.I think finding a tree/bush that grows quickly to 15ft and then stops is a bit of a tall...
    Not tried that particular plant myself, I have a feeling its mainly an American variety of Lagerstroemia indica. Its growerable in the UK but not really a reliable flower er, it needs hot summers.I think finding a tree/bush that grows...
    Not tried that particular plant myself, I have a feeling its mainly an American variety of Lagerstroemia indica. Its growerable in the UK but not really a reliable flower er, it needs hot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Selleri

Potted bulbs are coming up!

What they need is some 'arrested development'! Certainly with the hyacinths, I'd suggest you cover them with some black ploythene (I usually stand mine inside a black bin bag) and put them...
    What they need is some 'arrested development'! Certainly with the hyacinths, I'd suggest you cover them with some black ploythene (I usually stand mine inside a black bin bag) and put them somewhere really cold to slow 'em down a bit. I've never grown grape hyacinths (muscari) in pots, so...
    What they need is some 'arrested development'! Certainly with the hyacinths, I'd suggest you cover them with some black ploythene (I usually stand mine inside a black bin bag) and put them somewhere really cold to slow 'em down a bit. I've never...
    What they need is some 'arrested development'! Certainly with the hyacinths, I'd suggest you cover them with some black ploythene (I usually stand mine inside a black bin bag) and put them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. clueless1

Feeding new hedgerow

Not really, did you add something when you planted them? Keep the weeds of while they are young, and a mulch may be appreciated. You could sprinkle some bone meal around them in the Spring (not...
    Not really, did you add something when you planted them? Keep the weeds of while they are young, and a mulch may be appreciated. You could sprinkle some bone meal around them in the Spring (not now) as this will help the root growth, which is important in the early days.
    Not really, did you add something when you planted them? Keep the weeds of while they are young, and a mulch may be appreciated. You could sprinkle some bone meal around them in the Spring (not now) as this will help the root growth, which is...
    Not really, did you add something when you planted them? Keep the weeds of while they are young, and a mulch may be appreciated. You could sprinkle some bone meal around them in the Spring (not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. RWeb

Orchid Ants

Not sure about ant repellents but the only reason they would normally be on a plant is for food or farming. If your Dendrobium is free of aphid and Scale (both are farmed by ants) i don't know why...
    Not sure about ant repellents but the only reason they would normally be on a plant is for food or farming. If your Dendrobium is free of aphid and Scale (both are farmed by ants) i don't know why they would be on it. Best to flick them off when you see them.:)
    Not sure about ant repellents but the only reason they would normally be on a plant is for food or farming. If your Dendrobium is free of aphid and Scale (both are farmed by ants) i don't know why they would be on it. Best to flick them off when...
    Not sure about ant repellents but the only reason they would normally be on a plant is for food or farming. If your Dendrobium is free of aphid and Scale (both are farmed by ants) i don't know why...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. laurajms

Screening / fencing a round garden

Wow - broad question. If you want hedging have a look at Ashridge Trees, they are in Somerset but mail order all over and they sell just about every type of hedging plant imaginable. If you are...
    Wow - broad question. If you want hedging have a look at Ashridge Trees, they are in Somerset but mail order all over and they sell just about every type of hedging plant imaginable. If you are on a hill I imagine you have good drainage in which case you could plant beech, or if you want...
    Wow - broad question. If you want hedging have a look at Ashridge Trees, they are in Somerset but mail order all over and they sell just about every type of hedging plant imaginable. If you are on a hill I imagine you have good drainage in...
    Wow - broad question. If you want hedging have a look at Ashridge Trees, they are in Somerset but mail order all over and they sell just about every type of hedging plant imaginable. If you are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. busybee

'Lucky Bamboo' - what on earth do i do with it?!

Your lucky Bamboo is actually not a Bamboo at all. It's latin name is Dracaena sanderiana.
    Your lucky Bamboo is actually not a Bamboo at all. It's latin name is Dracaena sanderiana.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. garden_fiend

Musa Bajoo

I definitely wouldn't remove them now, its too late for them to get rooted before winter comes on.Normally they only do well if they can be cut away with some roots already growing from the...
    I definitely wouldn't remove them now, its too late for them to get rooted before winter comes on.Normally they only do well if they can be cut away with some roots already growing from the base, so they need to be fairly big. I dont remove any pups until they are at least 2ft tall or...
    I definitely wouldn't remove them now, its too late for them to get rooted before winter comes on.Normally they only do well if they can be cut away with some roots already growing from the base, so they need to be fairly big. I dont remove...
    I definitely wouldn't remove them now, its too late for them to get rooted before winter comes on.Normally they only do well if they can be cut away with some roots already growing from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Sussexgardener

Lavatera Propogation

I've grown lavatera from cuttings......easy peasy as softwood cuttings in summer but it's a bit late now. They root easily though so you may be lucky doing it on a windowsill if it doesn't get...
    I've grown lavatera from cuttings......easy peasy as softwood cuttings in summer but it's a bit late now. They root easily though so you may be lucky doing it on a windowsill if it doesn't get too cold. I think given the lateness of the season I would try hardwood and semi hardwood cuttings...
    I've grown lavatera from cuttings......easy peasy as softwood cuttings in summer but it's a bit late now. They root easily though so you may be lucky doing it on a windowsill if it doesn't get too cold. I think given the lateness of the season...
    I've grown lavatera from cuttings......easy peasy as softwood cuttings in summer but it's a bit late now. They root easily though so you may be lucky doing it on a windowsill if it doesn't get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Gold

Student House

Hi and welcome to GC.Seeing as you like barbies, the solution seems pretty simple to me. Fill the bed with culinary herbs to go with your barby. I always suggest Rosemary, because I can't find...
    Hi and welcome to GC.Seeing as you like barbies, the solution seems pretty simple to me. Fill the bed with culinary herbs to go with your barby. I always suggest Rosemary, because I can't find fault with it. It tastes ace, smells nice, looks nice, and is evergreen, so it ticks all the boxes....
    Hi and welcome to GC.Seeing as you like barbies, the solution seems pretty simple to me. Fill the bed with culinary herbs to go with your barby. I always suggest Rosemary, because I can't find fault with it. It tastes ace, smells nice, looks...
    Hi and welcome to GC.Seeing as you like barbies, the solution seems pretty simple to me. Fill the bed with culinary herbs to go with your barby. I always suggest Rosemary, because I can't find...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Freedom_Spark

Celosia Kimono Mixed - seed collection question

A hybrid is a cross between two plants liken it to the offspring between two people there child could look like one or the other or nothing like either so the seeds will probably not produce any...
    A hybrid is a cross between two plants liken it to the offspring between two people there child could look like one or the other or nothing like either so the seeds will probably not produce any plants that look like the plant you have. You can go ahead and collect the seed to see what you...
    A hybrid is a cross between two plants liken it to the offspring between two people there child could look like one or the other or nothing like either so the seeds will probably not produce any plants that look like the plant you have. You can...
    A hybrid is a cross between two plants liken it to the offspring between two people there child could look like one or the other or nothing like either so the seeds will probably not produce any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. NeilC

Corkscrew Hazel - Suckers

I have one in a pot and it does this too. I just cut them off, but I appreciate when they're spreading that far with you, it's more of a problem. Hope someone can be of more assistance.
    I have one in a pot and it does this too. I just cut them off, but I appreciate when they're spreading that far with you, it's more of a problem. Hope someone can be of more assistance.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. GrahamW47

Sunpatien Sunsplash Salmon

Welcome to GC Graham, I haven't grown Sunpatiens but as they are just a larger version of the standard Impatiens, of which I grow thousands every year from seed, I imagine they can be propagted...
    Welcome to GC Graham, I haven't grown Sunpatiens but as they are just a larger version of the standard Impatiens, of which I grow thousands every year from seed, I imagine they can be propagted the same way ie by cuttings in pots(in a propagator or) in a plastic bag or simply in a jar of...
    Welcome to GC Graham, I haven't grown Sunpatiens but as they are just a larger version of the standard Impatiens, of which I grow thousands every year from seed, I imagine they can be propagted the same way ie by cuttings in pots(in a propagator...
    Welcome to GC Graham, I haven't grown Sunpatiens but as they are just a larger version of the standard Impatiens, of which I grow thousands every year from seed, I imagine they can be propagted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Phillippo

Brambles crisis

Hi and welcome to GC.Round-up will work, but it will take many doses over a period of time. Brambles are very deep rooted, and very resilient, so unless you've got a JCB handy, I doubt you'd dig...
    Hi and welcome to GC.Round-up will work, but it will take many doses over a period of time. Brambles are very deep rooted, and very resilient, so unless you've got a JCB handy, I doubt you'd dig them out, and chopping them back will just encourage new growth.It would be no good just spraying...
    Hi and welcome to GC.Round-up will work, but it will take many doses over a period of time. Brambles are very deep rooted, and very resilient, so unless you've got a JCB handy, I doubt you'd dig them out, and chopping them back will just...
    Hi and welcome to GC.Round-up will work, but it will take many doses over a period of time. Brambles are very deep rooted, and very resilient, so unless you've got a JCB handy, I doubt you'd dig...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice