1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. nitro

Using copper pipe

nitro The copper tube is probably more at risk than the soil or plants as copper is readily attacked by ammonia.If the pipes aren`t in contact with the soil and you don`t splash ammonia based...
    nitro The copper tube is probably more at risk than the soil or plants as copper is readily attacked by ammonia.If the pipes aren`t in contact with the soil and you don`t splash ammonia based plant food around it shouldn`t be a great problem though ;)
    nitro The copper tube is probably more at risk than the soil or plants as copper is readily attacked by ammonia.If the pipes aren`t in contact with the soil and you don`t splash ammonia based plant food around it shouldn`t be a great problem...
    nitro The copper tube is probably more at risk than the soil or plants as copper is readily attacked by ammonia.If the pipes aren`t in contact with the soil and you don`t splash ammonia based...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Webmaster

Actinidia Deliciosa (Kiwi) , Anyone propagated cuttings before ?

It looks like root development to me, just have to wait and see.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Deserter

Mulch

Mulch is great. The simplest stuff would be out of your compost heap (if you have one) just before it completely rots down into the good stuff. It will keep the moisture in, help suppress the...
    Mulch is great. The simplest stuff would be out of your compost heap (if you have one) just before it completely rots down into the good stuff. It will keep the moisture in, help suppress the weeds and as it continues to rot down it will act as a slow release feed for the soil. Yum!
    Mulch is great. The simplest stuff would be out of your compost heap (if you have one) just before it completely rots down into the good stuff. It will keep the moisture in, help suppress the weeds and as it continues to rot down it will act as a...
    Mulch is great. The simplest stuff would be out of your compost heap (if you have one) just before it completely rots down into the good stuff. It will keep the moisture in, help suppress the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. lazy-gardener

what to treat decking with

I would highly recomend Ronseal Decking Oil, Ive got Red Ceder.Looks more natural as it is an oil and sinks into the wood, and does sit on the top like other wood stains can. The water beads off...
    I would highly recomend Ronseal Decking Oil, Ive got Red Ceder.Looks more natural as it is an oil and sinks into the wood, and does sit on the top like other wood stains can. The water beads off nicely but needs topping up every couple of years. Very easy to apply.For contrast the decking...
    I would highly recomend Ronseal Decking Oil, Ive got Red Ceder.Looks more natural as it is an oil and sinks into the wood, and does sit on the top like other wood stains can. The water beads off nicely but needs topping up every couple of...
    I would highly recomend Ronseal Decking Oil, Ive got Red Ceder.Looks more natural as it is an oil and sinks into the wood, and does sit on the top like other wood stains can. The water beads off...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. itissue

african violets help

I found African Violets did really well under artificial light when I still worked in a large open plan office. Too much direct sunlight through the windows tended to make them shrivel but in the...
    I found African Violets did really well under artificial light when I still worked in a large open plan office. Too much direct sunlight through the windows tended to make them shrivel but in the middle of the room (on top of filing cabinets!) really suited them.To get them to come back into...
    I found African Violets did really well under artificial light when I still worked in a large open plan office. Too much direct sunlight through the windows tended to make them shrivel but in the middle of the room (on top of filing cabinets!)...
    I found African Violets did really well under artificial light when I still worked in a large open plan office. Too much direct sunlight through the windows tended to make them shrivel but in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. cozmik

bine weed?

PeterS:Usefull tip there re: weedkiller and poly bag. I've got some Everlasting Pea I've been trying to get shot of. I severely weakened it last year with Pathclear but it's come through again...
    PeterS:Usefull tip there re: weedkiller and poly bag. I've got some Everlasting Pea I've been trying to get shot of. I severely weakened it last year with Pathclear but it's come through again so I've let it grow a bit ready for the Roundup. I'll give it a try with the poly bag as well as...
    PeterS:Usefull tip there re: weedkiller and poly bag. I've got some Everlasting Pea I've been trying to get shot of. I severely weakened it last year with Pathclear but it's come through again so I've let it grow a bit ready for the Roundup....
    PeterS:Usefull tip there re: weedkiller and poly bag. I've got some Everlasting Pea I've been trying to get shot of. I severely weakened it last year with Pathclear but it's come through again...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. lazy-gardener

which clematis for pergola

Have a look here, threre is a lot of information available. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/
    Have a look here, threre is a lot of information available. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. The Pea Of Sweetness

Bleeding Hearts

P. of S., If you leave the flowers they may set seed. If they do, collect the seed as soon as it is ripe [they produce tiny pods which will start opening, when they do the ripe seed for a pink...
    P. of S., If you leave the flowers they may set seed. If they do, collect the seed as soon as it is ripe [they produce tiny pods which will start opening, when they do the ripe seed for a pink flower is usually black ] and sow it somewhere sheltered to protect over winter. If you're lucky some...
    P. of S., If you leave the flowers they may set seed. If they do, collect the seed as soon as it is ripe [they produce tiny pods which will start opening, when they do the ripe seed for a pink flower is usually black ] and sow it somewhere...
    P. of S., If you leave the flowers they may set seed. If they do, collect the seed as soon as it is ripe [they produce tiny pods which will start opening, when they do the ripe seed for a pink...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. lazy-gardener

info on using decorative slate chippings

I put down gravel over a largish area, over a membrane. I looked at coloured chippings, but decided against it, and am very pleased I did. I finally bought 20 mil gravel from a builder's yard,...
    I put down gravel over a largish area, over a membrane. I looked at coloured chippings, but decided against it, and am very pleased I did. I finally bought 20 mil gravel from a builder's yard, which is cheap.In my opinion, coloured chippings is like a plain carpet. It will show every bit of...
    I put down gravel over a largish area, over a membrane. I looked at coloured chippings, but decided against it, and am very pleased I did. I finally bought 20 mil gravel from a builder's yard, which is cheap.In my opinion, coloured chippings...
    I put down gravel over a largish area, over a membrane. I looked at coloured chippings, but decided against it, and am very pleased I did. I finally bought 20 mil gravel from a builder's yard,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. rosietutu

Photobucket

Thanks Elaine I will try that and write down the numbers afore I forget em. :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. sheppy

Clematis

There are loads that will fit the bill. This site gives heights.http://www.saska.demon.co.uk/hybridaf.htmlBut a Clematis will only grow upwards if it has something to hang on to. If your...
    There are loads that will fit the bill. This site gives heights.http://www.saska.demon.co.uk/hybridaf.htmlBut a Clematis will only grow upwards if it has something to hang on to. If your fence is only 6 foot, you Clematis can't grow much taller. It will either grow along sideways, or flop...
    There are loads that will fit the bill. This site gives heights.http://www.saska.demon.co.uk/hybridaf.htmlBut a Clematis will only grow upwards if it has something to hang on to. If your fence is only 6 foot, you Clematis can't grow much...
    There are loads that will fit the bill. This site gives heights.http://www.saska.demon.co.uk/hybridaf.htmlBut a Clematis will only grow upwards if it has something to hang on to. If your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Hornbeam

Ground elder

Thanks Liz,I don't let it flower and try and pull as much out as I can, the roots dissapear under the gravel section of the garden. Thank goodness I forced my hubby to put a liner down before...
    Thanks Liz,I don't let it flower and try and pull as much out as I can, the roots dissapear under the gravel section of the garden. Thank goodness I forced my hubby to put a liner down before laying the gravel or I think it would have taken over by now. :eek:
    Thanks Liz,I don't let it flower and try and pull as much out as I can, the roots dissapear under the gravel section of the garden. Thank goodness I forced my hubby to put a liner down before laying the gravel or I think it would have taken...
    Thanks Liz,I don't let it flower and try and pull as much out as I can, the roots dissapear under the gravel section of the garden. Thank goodness I forced my hubby to put a liner down before...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Hornbeam

Ground elder

Thanks Liz,I don't let it flower and try and pull as much out as I can, the roots dissapear under the gravel section of the garden. Thank goodness I forced my hubby to put a liner down before laying the gravel or I think it would have taken over by now. :eek:
    Thanks Liz,I don't let it flower and try and pull as much out as I can, the roots dissapear under the gravel section of the garden. Thank goodness I forced my hubby to put a liner down before laying the gravel or I think it would have taken...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. The Pea Of Sweetness

Anyone grown Jasmine before?

Thanks elaine If it picks up I shall take another photo.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. lazy-gardener

mahonia- all that rust!

Black spot is far less serious - so that is good news! It is not a fungus, but a bacteria (Pseudomonus. It is spread by insects and even rain splashes. It is unsightly and heavily infected...
    Black spot is far less serious - so that is good news! It is not a fungus, but a bacteria (Pseudomonus. It is spread by insects and even rain splashes. It is unsightly and heavily infected leaves on roses will fall and spread the bacteria. Best thing is to remove all infected leaves now so...
    Black spot is far less serious - so that is good news! It is not a fungus, but a bacteria (Pseudomonus. It is spread by insects and even rain splashes. It is unsightly and heavily infected leaves on roses will fall and spread the bacteria. ...
    Black spot is far less serious - so that is good news! It is not a fungus, but a bacteria (Pseudomonus. It is spread by insects and even rain splashes. It is unsightly and heavily infected...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. EarthWormJim

Rhododendron and Azaleae in clay..?

CheersI'll pop them in, give them some acid and hope for the best.Thanks againJim
    CheersI'll pop them in, give them some acid and hope for the best.Thanks againJim
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Lady Gardener

butterfly hotel

http://www.nestbox.co.uk/butterflyhouse.shtmlhere it is..and i must say it looks rather grand!!
    http://www.nestbox.co.uk/butterflyhouse.shtmlhere it is..and i must say it looks rather grand!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. papajo

Bamboo screening

Maybe, depends how well made the screen is. Some horizontal timbers top & bottom would make sure.
    Maybe, depends how well made the screen is. Some horizontal timbers top & bottom would make sure.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. sawfish

Runner bean leaves

Could it be scorch Sawfish? If you've just put them out the leaves will be a bit tender and a bit of water plus the VERY HOT SUN WE GET HERE IN SCOTLAND ;) may have done it. Looking at the pic,...
    Could it be scorch Sawfish? If you've just put them out the leaves will be a bit tender and a bit of water plus the VERY HOT SUN WE GET HERE IN SCOTLAND ;) may have done it. Looking at the pic, it seems that the upper leaves are OK. I wouldn't worry!
    Could it be scorch Sawfish? If you've just put them out the leaves will be a bit tender and a bit of water plus the VERY HOT SUN WE GET HERE IN SCOTLAND ;) may have done it. Looking at the pic, it seems that the upper leaves are OK. I wouldn't...
    Could it be scorch Sawfish? If you've just put them out the leaves will be a bit tender and a bit of water plus the VERY HOT SUN WE GET HERE IN SCOTLAND ;) may have done it. Looking at the pic,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. sharon

Indoor plant for bathroom

Thanks for that, answers my question why I couldnt find one for myself.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice