1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Hornbeam

Duck weed

how about a solar pump/ filter, or oxygenator?
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. heppy

weeds update

The bags may be more expensive, but easier to transport through your house ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. The Pea Of Sweetness

Primulas anyone?

Agree with Hornbeam about the highly coloured varieties although you can get them to repeat flower - just put them out tof the way somewhere until next winter and allow them to rest. Have not been...
    Agree with Hornbeam about the highly coloured varieties although you can get them to repeat flower - just put them out tof the way somewhere until next winter and allow them to rest. Have not been too succesful with the Auriculas but they are wonderful - love the pictures. Another useful Primula...
    Agree with Hornbeam about the highly coloured varieties although you can get them to repeat flower - just put them out tof the way somewhere until next winter and allow them to rest. Have not been too succesful with the Auriculas but they are...
    Agree with Hornbeam about the highly coloured varieties although you can get them to repeat flower - just put them out tof the way somewhere until next winter and allow them to rest. Have not been...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. timecharger

A good website I've found

This guy seems to have written quite a few helpful articles on vegetable growing.Enjoy.http://www.westsidegardener.com/articles/index_complete.html
    This guy seems to have written quite a few helpful articles on vegetable growing.Enjoy.http://www.westsidegardener.com/articles/index_complete.html
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. darlie chimmock

violet cress

thanks very much palustris, very helpful.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Roy F

WATERING

The cheap way to DIY is to salvage a washing machine or dishwasher inlet valve + hose and control the solenoid with a plug in timer or salvaged central heating control unit. You need to be able to...
    The cheap way to DIY is to salvage a washing machine or dishwasher inlet valve + hose and control the solenoid with a plug in timer or salvaged central heating control unit. You need to be able to knock up some sort of a box and make sure all the electrics are well insulated and earthed where...
    The cheap way to DIY is to salvage a washing machine or dishwasher inlet valve + hose and control the solenoid with a plug in timer or salvaged central heating control unit. You need to be able to knock up some sort of a box and make sure all the...
    The cheap way to DIY is to salvage a washing machine or dishwasher inlet valve + hose and control the solenoid with a plug in timer or salvaged central heating control unit. You need to be able to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Darren L

Salix Tortuosa - leggy problem

The pond is was man made about 400 years ago, and is a 1/4 acre partial moat. The willow is only 6ft from the pond, and the pond rather is nothing but full. Regards Darren
    The pond is was man made about 400 years ago, and is a 1/4 acre partial moat. The willow is only 6ft from the pond, and the pond rather is nothing but full. Regards Darren
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Liz

How does everyone manage?

Liz Design is finalised and ready to build..once i find the time It`s pretty flexible stuff but very pricey..about �£15 sq m. Extremely hard to locate in the UK.. unless you`re ordering a...
    Liz Design is finalised and ready to build..once i find the time It`s pretty flexible stuff but very pricey..about �£15 sq m. Extremely hard to locate in the UK.. unless you`re ordering a lorry load so you`d have to import from Germany ;)
    Liz Design is finalised and ready to build..once i find the time It`s pretty flexible stuff but very pricey..about �£15 sq m. Extremely hard to locate in the UK.. unless you`re ordering a lorry load so you`d have to import from Germany ;)
    Liz Design is finalised and ready to build..once i find the time It`s pretty flexible stuff but very pricey..about �£15 sq m. Extremely hard to locate in the UK.. unless you`re ordering a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. sharon

Bamboo

I bought it on e bay for about 10 pounds, from one of the garden centres, it was only about a foot high but with plenty of shoots, i have been really pleased with how well it has grown, the best...
    I bought it on e bay for about 10 pounds, from one of the garden centres, it was only about a foot high but with plenty of shoots, i have been really pleased with how well it has grown, the best bet is to keep looking and find a day when not many are bidding.
    I bought it on e bay for about 10 pounds, from one of the garden centres, it was only about a foot high but with plenty of shoots, i have been really pleased with how well it has grown, the best bet is to keep looking and find a day when not many...
    I bought it on e bay for about 10 pounds, from one of the garden centres, it was only about a foot high but with plenty of shoots, i have been really pleased with how well it has grown, the best...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Feline

Border edging

In terms of budget solutions, the taller log roll stuff is pretty good, at least for a few years. Goes very brittle after that. Morrisons usually have a "2 for a fiver" or similar offer around...
    In terms of budget solutions, the taller log roll stuff is pretty good, at least for a few years. Goes very brittle after that. Morrisons usually have a "2 for a fiver" or similar offer around this time of year.Wilkinsons is also good for that sort of stuff - their prices are generally around...
    In terms of budget solutions, the taller log roll stuff is pretty good, at least for a few years. Goes very brittle after that. Morrisons usually have a "2 for a fiver" or similar offer around this time of year.Wilkinsons is also good for that...
    In terms of budget solutions, the taller log roll stuff is pretty good, at least for a few years. Goes very brittle after that. Morrisons usually have a "2 for a fiver" or similar offer around...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. vivienne

books

There are so many garden books around and fashions come and go. (Does anyone still go in for decking and spray their fences purple?)Who are your all time favourite garden writers?I can...
    There are so many garden books around and fashions come and go. (Does anyone still go in for decking and spray their fences purple?)Who are your all time favourite garden writers?I can shortlist four:Margery Fish is my number one. Her series of books are probably out of print now. She...
    There are so many garden books around and fashions come and go. (Does anyone still go in for decking and spray their fences purple?)Who are your all time favourite garden writers?I can shortlist four:Margery Fish is my number one. Her...
    There are so many garden books around and fashions come and go. (Does anyone still go in for decking and spray their fences purple?)Who are your all time favourite garden writers?I can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jilly P

front garden -oops!

Hi Jilly - it would depend on the type of ground cover plant. If they spread by rooting themselves as they go, then they won't get much further, but if they spread out from the central root, they...
    Hi Jilly - it would depend on the type of ground cover plant. If they spread by rooting themselves as they go, then they won't get much further, but if they spread out from the central root, they should just grow over the bark. That's what I have done in my front garden and they're spreading...
    Hi Jilly - it would depend on the type of ground cover plant. If they spread by rooting themselves as they go, then they won't get much further, but if they spread out from the central root, they should just grow over the bark. That's what I have...
    Hi Jilly - it would depend on the type of ground cover plant. If they spread by rooting themselves as they go, then they won't get much further, but if they spread out from the central root, they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Tracey B

Plants that deter bees/wasps/mossies?

Wasps do a lot of good in the garden. They take many insect pests to feed the developing larvae in the nest. Last year I watched a mid air tussel between a wasp and a crane fly. Both fell to the...
    Wasps do a lot of good in the garden. They take many insect pests to feed the developing larvae in the nest. Last year I watched a mid air tussel between a wasp and a crane fly. Both fell to the ground and the daddylonglegs made an escape leaving a very cross wasp! They also do some pollinating....
    Wasps do a lot of good in the garden. They take many insect pests to feed the developing larvae in the nest. Last year I watched a mid air tussel between a wasp and a crane fly. Both fell to the ground and the daddylonglegs made an escape leaving...
    Wasps do a lot of good in the garden. They take many insect pests to feed the developing larvae in the nest. Last year I watched a mid air tussel between a wasp and a crane fly. Both fell to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. frogesque

Wallflower

Good gracious - one lives and learns. :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. gavlap

what size pot

Your welcome and good luck.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. lazy-gardener

burning bush- dictamnus albus

just ordered a couple of these plants as they seemed to be quite nice.havent seen them locally so ordered from web. Does anyone have knowledge of these plants at all? they are supposed to be a...
    just ordered a couple of these plants as they seemed to be quite nice.havent seen them locally so ordered from web. Does anyone have knowledge of these plants at all? they are supposed to be a shrub but some places call it a perennial- grows about a metre as far as I can see. supposed to have...
    just ordered a couple of these plants as they seemed to be quite nice.havent seen them locally so ordered from web. Does anyone have knowledge of these plants at all? they are supposed to be a shrub but some places call it a perennial- grows...
    just ordered a couple of these plants as they seemed to be quite nice.havent seen them locally so ordered from web. Does anyone have knowledge of these plants at all? they are supposed to be a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. frogesque

Ribwort Plantain

This plantain what frogsque has put up here very nice it is too..is used in the same way as plantago major...which can be made into a tea for diarrhoea..bronchititis..sinusitis..and hayfever...you...
    This plantain what frogsque has put up here very nice it is too..is used in the same way as plantago major...which can be made into a tea for diarrhoea..bronchititis..sinusitis..and hayfever...you can use it externally for wounds..bruises,,shingles..and varicose ulcers..you can even eat the...
    This plantain what frogsque has put up here very nice it is too..is used in the same way as plantago major...which can be made into a tea for diarrhoea..bronchititis..sinusitis..and hayfever...you can use it externally for...
    This plantain what frogsque has put up here very nice it is too..is used in the same way as plantago major...which can be made into a tea for diarrhoea..bronchititis..sinusitis..and hayfever...you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. alan

bubblewrap

GD You need the airgap ..an inch or two at most. Don`t make it too big as it`s easier for convective currents to circulate the air inbetween the glass and bubblewrap and reduce the insulation...
    GD You need the airgap ..an inch or two at most. Don`t make it too big as it`s easier for convective currents to circulate the air inbetween the glass and bubblewrap and reduce the insulation value.The important thing is to seal the bubblewrap layer so it`s as airtight as possible from the...
    GD You need the airgap ..an inch or two at most. Don`t make it too big as it`s easier for convective currents to circulate the air inbetween the glass and bubblewrap and reduce the insulation value.The important thing is to seal the...
    GD You need the airgap ..an inch or two at most. Don`t make it too big as it`s easier for convective currents to circulate the air inbetween the glass and bubblewrap and reduce the insulation...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. chkm8

Fuschia cuttings

Fuchsias take well from heeled, soft wood or tip cuttings. At this time of year when they are only just starting into growth, I would wait until there are some decent sized shoots, and then try...
    Fuchsias take well from heeled, soft wood or tip cuttings. At this time of year when they are only just starting into growth, I would wait until there are some decent sized shoots, and then try tip cuttings.Later in the year, try soft wood and heeled cuttings if the tip cuttings did not take....
    Fuchsias take well from heeled, soft wood or tip cuttings. At this time of year when they are only just starting into growth, I would wait until there are some decent sized shoots, and then try tip cuttings.Later in the year, try soft wood and...
    Fuchsias take well from heeled, soft wood or tip cuttings. At this time of year when they are only just starting into growth, I would wait until there are some decent sized shoots, and then try...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. amberick

hanging basket

Nice one Amberick - this was just the first of many I think :D I look forward to seeing your next one. [ 07. May 2006, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]
    Nice one Amberick - this was just the first of many I think :D I look forward to seeing your next one. [ 07. May 2006, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice