General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Sarah Eley

Standing in the garden centre looking for inspiration...

I agree with verdun Astrantia are a must lovely plants . Bleeding heart ( dicentra / lampro... ) are nice , tiarella - brunnera lots to pick from - J anemone ( some wander ) - Thalictrums are nice...
    I agree with verdun Astrantia are a must lovely plants . Bleeding heart ( dicentra / lampro... ) are nice , tiarella - brunnera lots to pick from - J anemone ( some wander ) - Thalictrums are nice and airy lots to pick from - phlox like a bit of shade from afternoon sun - most primula's. Lots of...
    I agree with verdun Astrantia are a must lovely plants . Bleeding heart ( dicentra / lampro... ) are nice , tiarella - brunnera lots to pick from - J anemone ( some wander ) - Thalictrums are nice and airy lots to pick from - phlox like a bit of...
    I agree with verdun Astrantia are a must lovely plants . Bleeding heart ( dicentra / lampro... ) are nice , tiarella - brunnera lots to pick from - J anemone ( some wander ) - Thalictrums are nice...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Freddy

Clematis Armandii - Pruning

Yep, stems are brittle so gentle does it. If any snap, still tie down or space out what’s left. :)
    Yep, stems are brittle so gentle does it. If any snap, still tie down or space out what’s left. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. GardeningNewbie

Please help identify plant

Aram maculatum.
    Aram maculatum.
    Aram maculatum.
    Aram maculatum.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. AndyS

Advice on creating a wildflower border

I wonder if anyone could give me the benefit of their wisdom with regard to the pics attached. A children's nursery have asked me to do various bits of work in their garden that I’m fine with, but...
    I wonder if anyone could give me the benefit of their wisdom with regard to the pics attached. A children's nursery have asked me to do various bits of work in their garden that I’m fine with, but have also asked if I can create a wildflower mini-meadow around the border of their site.It’s...
    I wonder if anyone could give me the benefit of their wisdom with regard to the pics attached. A children's nursery have asked me to do various bits of work in their garden that I’m fine with, but have also asked if I can create a wildflower...
    I wonder if anyone could give me the benefit of their wisdom with regard to the pics attached. A children's nursery have asked me to do various bits of work in their garden that I’m fine with, but...
    IMG_6587-min.JPG IMG_6588-min.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Passport1

What are these plants and can i plant them in flower bed in garden for annual blooms?

The yellow one is a Dahlia grown as a pot plant but would be better planted in the ground. The other is a variety of Celosia also known as Cockscomb and can also be planted out, it is either...
    The yellow one is a Dahlia grown as a pot plant but would be better planted in the ground. The other is a variety of Celosia also known as Cockscomb and can also be planted out, it is either discarded in the autumn or dug up and repotted and over wintered inside ie light and frost free. Hope...
    The yellow one is a Dahlia grown as a pot plant but would be better planted in the ground. The other is a variety of Celosia also known as Cockscomb and can also be planted out, it is either discarded in the autumn or dug up and repotted and over...
    The yellow one is a Dahlia grown as a pot plant but would be better planted in the ground. The other is a variety of Celosia also known as Cockscomb and can also be planted out, it is either...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. kr236rk

Herbs - watering?

Wow, that's good & bad news - bad 'cos I just hosed the patch; good, because I won't need to again for a while :) Too much water last year then may explain why my herb garden got wiped out come...
    Wow, that's good & bad news - bad 'cos I just hosed the patch; good, because I won't need to again for a while :) Too much water last year then may explain why my herb garden got wiped out come spring? Have since replanted.
    Wow, that's good & bad news - bad 'cos I just hosed the patch; good, because I won't need to again for a while :) Too much water last year then may explain why my herb garden got wiped out come spring? Have since replanted.
    Wow, that's good & bad news - bad 'cos I just hosed the patch; good, because I won't need to again for a while :) Too much water last year then may explain why my herb garden got wiped out come...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. HarryS

Wild Flower Sowing ?

Cheers Mike, I'll make sure they are well watered, and we can see what pops up!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. DMM

Dahlia Help/Advice Needed Please

Just a little update. They HAVEN'T grown taller and bigger, as I've pinched 'em out to within an inch of their lives and they are well within my size limits this year. It's amazing what a little...
    Just a little update. They HAVEN'T grown taller and bigger, as I've pinched 'em out to within an inch of their lives and they are well within my size limits this year. It's amazing what a little pinching can do . Perhaps they WERE always gallery/dwarf size and it was just my inexperience in...
    Just a little update. They HAVEN'T grown taller and bigger, as I've pinched 'em out to within an inch of their lives and they are well within my size limits this year. It's amazing what a little pinching can do . Perhaps they WERE always...
    Just a little update. They HAVEN'T grown taller and bigger, as I've pinched 'em out to within an inch of their lives and they are well within my size limits this year. It's amazing what a little...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Perki
    Like x 16

WHATS LOOKING GOOD IN JUNE 2019

New Thread HereWHATS LOOKING GOOD IN JULY 2019
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. andrews

Harvesting Seed - Will I Get the Same Next Year ?

Thanks for the replies. Every day's a school day.This will explain why I could only find plug plants and potted plants.I'll probably go down the plug plant route early in the season and then...
    Thanks for the replies. Every day's a school day.This will explain why I could only find plug plants and potted plants.I'll probably go down the plug plant route early in the season and then bring them on in the tunnel
    Thanks for the replies. Every day's a school day.This will explain why I could only find plug plants and potted plants.I'll probably go down the plug plant route early in the season and then bring them on in the tunnel
    Thanks for the replies. Every day's a school day.This will explain why I could only find plug plants and potted plants.I'll probably go down the plug plant route early in the season and then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Selleri

How much do you water your garden? Greeny thoughts.

The pot plants and greenhouse are the only things I water. We have a water recapture system in place to keep the pond topped up, including a large storage tank and release it when the pond level...
    The pot plants and greenhouse are the only things I water. We have a water recapture system in place to keep the pond topped up, including a large storage tank and release it when the pond level drops. Lawn never gets watered even when it goes brown. It’ll recover in autumn. I also water...
    The pot plants and greenhouse are the only things I water. We have a water recapture system in place to keep the pond topped up, including a large storage tank and release it when the pond level drops. Lawn never gets watered even when it goes...
    The pot plants and greenhouse are the only things I water. We have a water recapture system in place to keep the pond topped up, including a large storage tank and release it when the pond level...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Marley Farley

DAY LILY.. (HEMEROCALLIS) FAMILY 2019

Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and then planted them out in one of our newly created...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I carefully lifted and potted them, grew them on and...
    Back in the early spring of 2018, while sorting out a rather neglected area in our new garden, I came across a clump of what I suspected were daylilies, buried under various other plants. So I...
    DSCF1427.JPG Red Twister 2014.jpg octopus hugs 2014 002.JPG 002.JPG Planet Max 2014.jpg one hot mama 2015 001.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jack Sparrow

Invasive plants

Thanks @NigelJ but I am in my first season back here in Carmarthenshire - my failures were in Nottinghamshire - cold and windy. I have noticed around my village here that Briza maxima seems to...
    Thanks @NigelJ but I am in my first season back here in Carmarthenshire - my failures were in Nottinghamshire - cold and windy. I have noticed around my village here that Briza maxima seems to have made its escape.
    Thanks @NigelJ but I am in my first season back here in Carmarthenshire - my failures were in Nottinghamshire - cold and windy. I have noticed around my village here that Briza maxima seems to have made its escape.
    Thanks @NigelJ but I am in my first season back here in Carmarthenshire - my failures were in Nottinghamshire - cold and windy. I have noticed around my village here that Briza maxima seems to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Robo44

Poppies

Welcome to the forum! Try to let them mature as long as you can before collecting seeds. Worse come to worse, make a note of their name and then you'll know what to order if you have to. :)
    Welcome to the forum! Try to let them mature as long as you can before collecting seeds. Worse come to worse, make a note of their name and then you'll know what to order if you have to. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ThePlantAssassin

poorly tomatoes

They don't look too bad to me, tomatoes are remarkably forgiving and will recover quickly given the right conditions. As others have said I go along with over-watering being the problem. It may...
    They don't look too bad to me, tomatoes are remarkably forgiving and will recover quickly given the right conditions. As others have said I go along with over-watering being the problem. It may have washed the nutrients out of the compost so I would try a half dose of Tomorite or similar tomato...
    They don't look too bad to me, tomatoes are remarkably forgiving and will recover quickly given the right conditions. As others have said I go along with over-watering being the problem. It may have washed the nutrients out of the compost so I...
    They don't look too bad to me, tomatoes are remarkably forgiving and will recover quickly given the right conditions. As others have said I go along with over-watering being the problem. It may...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. zoecarter_

How can I help my buxus!

My action would be to sort the drainage out first. Not keen on bonemeal ....I know it’s often recommended It might be blight but first things first.....the drainage. And I wouldn’t repot just now :)
    My action would be to sort the drainage out first. Not keen on bonemeal ....I know it’s often recommended It might be blight but first things first.....the drainage. And I wouldn’t repot just now :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. kriss

Prunus / Malus

I have two ornamental fruit trees that shade our front bay window for a bit of privacy. This year the malus has taken on a lot of growth which is great.Can I prune them now to encourage the...
    I have two ornamental fruit trees that shade our front bay window for a bit of privacy. This year the malus has taken on a lot of growth which is great.Can I prune them now to encourage the right shape and ensure all its growth goes in the right places to maximise shade?Or is it too late...
    I have two ornamental fruit trees that shade our front bay window for a bit of privacy. This year the malus has taken on a lot of growth which is great.Can I prune them now to encourage the right shape and ensure all its growth goes in the...
    I have two ornamental fruit trees that shade our front bay window for a bit of privacy. This year the malus has taken on a lot of growth which is great.Can I prune them now to encourage the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. MattC76

Hydrangea looking a bit sad

Again Matt, it’s your soil I think. Too dry and too impoverished.:) If you apply a good fertiliser....fish blood and bone, chicken manure etc., and apply a generous mulch it will help boost...
    Again Matt, it’s your soil I think. Too dry and too impoverished.:) If you apply a good fertiliser....fish blood and bone, chicken manure etc., and apply a generous mulch it will help boost growth. No cutting off the flowers will not really make much of a difference to growth. Remove flowers next...
    Again Matt, it’s your soil I think. Too dry and too impoverished.:) If you apply a good fertiliser....fish blood and bone, chicken manure etc., and apply a generous mulch it will help boost growth. No cutting off the flowers will not really make...
    Again Matt, it’s your soil I think. Too dry and too impoverished.:) If you apply a good fertiliser....fish blood and bone, chicken manure etc., and apply a generous mulch it will help boost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Ian Taylor

RHS Tatton Show

I may go weather permitting , if I do go I am sure I'll pop in and have a look around.
    I may go weather permitting , if I do go I am sure I'll pop in and have a look around.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Mondomondo

Why is this...?

@MondomondoTread carefully all shrubs are different as @Verdun said they come from all round the world. pruning is often done after a shrub has flowered or fruited eg philadelphus, deutzia,...
    @MondomondoTread carefully all shrubs are different as @Verdun said they come from all round the world. pruning is often done after a shrub has flowered or fruited eg philadelphus, deutzia, rubus or when they are dormant. Others are pruned after the winter as the new growth might be damaged...
    @MondomondoTread carefully all shrubs are different as @Verdun said they come from all round the world. pruning is often done after a shrub has flowered or fruited eg philadelphus, deutzia, rubus or when they are dormant. Others are pruned...
    @MondomondoTread carefully all shrubs are different as @Verdun said they come from all round the world. pruning is often done after a shrub has flowered or fruited eg philadelphus, deutzia,...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice