1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Dave from Newcastle

Droopy Leycesteria formosa

I agree with Dave. If you have just moved it - it did not like the move. As Dave says, in a healthy plant roots and foliage are in balance. If you reduce the roots (as you must do when you move...
    I agree with Dave. If you have just moved it - it did not like the move. As Dave says, in a healthy plant roots and foliage are in balance. If you reduce the roots (as you must do when you move something) you must often reduce the foliage to keep them in balance.
    I agree with Dave. If you have just moved it - it did not like the move. As Dave says, in a healthy plant roots and foliage are in balance. If you reduce the roots (as you must do when you move something) you must often reduce the foliage to...
    I agree with Dave. If you have just moved it - it did not like the move. As Dave says, in a healthy plant roots and foliage are in balance. If you reduce the roots (as you must do when you move...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. chkm8

Help me drain this swamp.

Good advice Waco,My father had the same problem on 2 1/4 acres, has woodland behind him and he is at the bottom of the hill, so all excess water used to soak into his plot and stay there, he got...
    Good advice Waco,My father had the same problem on 2 1/4 acres, has woodland behind him and he is at the bottom of the hill, so all excess water used to soak into his plot and stay there, he got a mini digger in, dug a trench 18" wide along the back edge and down one side to the bottom, where...
    Good advice Waco,My father had the same problem on 2 1/4 acres, has woodland behind him and he is at the bottom of the hill, so all excess water used to soak into his plot and stay there, he got a mini digger in, dug a trench 18" wide along the...
    Good advice Waco,My father had the same problem on 2 1/4 acres, has woodland behind him and he is at the bottom of the hill, so all excess water used to soak into his plot and stay there, he got...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Hornbeam

Super Spring

The fruit will be black when ripe - hence the old name of Black Lovage
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Shaun

Where do I begin?

Hi Shaun, Dave has a valid point about the Leyllandii, but if you have a railway line the other side, they are probably the thing to cut the noise down. Just promise to keep them trimmed &...
    Hi Shaun, Dave has a valid point about the Leyllandii, but if you have a railway line the other side, they are probably the thing to cut the noise down. Just promise to keep them trimmed & feed the lawn etc. ;) Look through the forum & also have a look at container gardening. You...
    Hi Shaun, Dave has a valid point about the Leyllandii, but if you have a railway line the other side, they are probably the thing to cut the noise down. Just promise to keep them trimmed & feed the lawn etc. ;) Look through the forum...
    Hi Shaun, Dave has a valid point about the Leyllandii, but if you have a railway line the other side, they are probably the thing to cut the noise down. Just promise to keep them trimmed &...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Waco

Blue bells

Lady Chatterley springs to mind.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Stingo

Spanish bluebells

Well what you lot have told me are Spanish bluebells are so fare behaving very well, as to ground elder AAhhhhhhhhh........don't mention the word before I have to go to bed! Nightmares agsain!
    Well what you lot have told me are Spanish bluebells are so fare behaving very well, as to ground elder AAhhhhhhhhh........don't mention the word before I have to go to bed! Nightmares agsain!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Jupiter

A sick passion flower needs help

Mine just dropped dead! Antithesis of a wild fl;ower I would have thought though.
    Mine just dropped dead! Antithesis of a wild fl;ower I would have thought though.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. dalbuie

Impatient ?

As way of an update, I can now see little green shoots from my rocket seeds which are outside and from courgette seeds, kept indoors for the moment. After 1 week, thats pretty good. I'd have been...
    As way of an update, I can now see little green shoots from my rocket seeds which are outside and from courgette seeds, kept indoors for the moment. After 1 week, thats pretty good. I'd have been starting singing to the little blighters if I hadn't seen signs of life soon!
    As way of an update, I can now see little green shoots from my rocket seeds which are outside and from courgette seeds, kept indoors for the moment. After 1 week, thats pretty good. I'd have been starting singing to the little blighters if I...
    As way of an update, I can now see little green shoots from my rocket seeds which are outside and from courgette seeds, kept indoors for the moment. After 1 week, thats pretty good. I'd have been...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jim12345

Help.......Where to begin?

Thank you all for your help and advice so far! Much appreciated!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. gardencat

Long Boring wall of Breeze block

The 'in thing' according to the television makeovers is to paint it pale blue. But I think that draws your attention to it. If it was mine I would paint it green. That way it just disappears...
    The 'in thing' according to the television makeovers is to paint it pale blue. But I think that draws your attention to it. If it was mine I would paint it green. That way it just disappears into the background.I wouldn't use a trellis (something more to buy, to paint, and to rot) but would...
    The 'in thing' according to the television makeovers is to paint it pale blue. But I think that draws your attention to it. If it was mine I would paint it green. That way it just disappears into the background.I wouldn't use a trellis...
    The 'in thing' according to the television makeovers is to paint it pale blue. But I think that draws your attention to it. If it was mine I would paint it green. That way it just disappears...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Paladin

Old is best?

Definately a turfing iron. i spent several days this winter lifting and relaying turf to make way for a new grass and herbaceous bed. As with the posted photograph the end is rather worn but still...
    Definately a turfing iron. i spent several days this winter lifting and relaying turf to make way for a new grass and herbaceous bed. As with the posted photograph the end is rather worn but still will do a good job. Push with right thigh and right hand on implement; keep at a steady angle and...
    Definately a turfing iron. i spent several days this winter lifting and relaying turf to make way for a new grass and herbaceous bed. As with the posted photograph the end is rather worn but still will do a good job. Push with right thigh and...
    Definately a turfing iron. i spent several days this winter lifting and relaying turf to make way for a new grass and herbaceous bed. As with the posted photograph the end is rather worn but still...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. pinkfluffysheep

garden help

hi thanks for the help.my next door neighbour has a big fern tree in her garden and we wondered if that had anything to do with it.as the soil is very dry no matter how much you water it
    hi thanks for the help.my next door neighbour has a big fern tree in her garden and we wondered if that had anything to do with it.as the soil is very dry no matter how much you water it
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. frogesque

Sloe

First thing I did when I moved here was search out the sloes... Have now found a satisfactory spot that I can reach with the aid of my crutch! I've made sloe vodka too as one daughter isn't too...
    First thing I did when I moved here was search out the sloes... Have now found a satisfactory spot that I can reach with the aid of my crutch! I've made sloe vodka too as one daughter isn't too keen on gin. I've got several little sloe bushes grown from seed. I hope each year that THIS YEAR...
    First thing I did when I moved here was search out the sloes... Have now found a satisfactory spot that I can reach with the aid of my crutch! I've made sloe vodka too as one daughter isn't too keen on gin. I've got several little sloe bushes...
    First thing I did when I moved here was search out the sloes... Have now found a satisfactory spot that I can reach with the aid of my crutch! I've made sloe vodka too as one daughter isn't too...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. frogesque

Gorse

My daughters hay fever allways used to start when we lived in the country ..as soon as the gorse came out ..frogesque should make a book with all her lovely photos..they are more clear than some...
    My daughters hay fever allways used to start when we lived in the country ..as soon as the gorse came out ..frogesque should make a book with all her lovely photos..they are more clear than some in my herb and botany books..
    My daughters hay fever allways used to start when we lived in the country ..as soon as the gorse came out ..frogesque should make a book with all her lovely photos..they are more clear than some in my herb and botany books..
    My daughters hay fever allways used to start when we lived in the country ..as soon as the gorse came out ..frogesque should make a book with all her lovely photos..they are more clear than some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. frogesque

Dandelions

I drink dandelion tea every day..made from the leaves..its good for your liver and water retention..it doesnt taste very nice but you will soon get used to it...some people drink dandelion coffee...
    I drink dandelion tea every day..made from the leaves..its good for your liver and water retention..it doesnt taste very nice but you will soon get used to it...some people drink dandelion coffee made from the roots..the dandelion is not to be laughed at allthough i know you dont like them in...
    I drink dandelion tea every day..made from the leaves..its good for your liver and water retention..it doesnt taste very nice but you will soon get used to it...some people drink dandelion coffee made from the roots..the dandelion is not to be...
    I drink dandelion tea every day..made from the leaves..its good for your liver and water retention..it doesnt taste very nice but you will soon get used to it...some people drink dandelion coffee...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. gavlap

planst to trail over a wall

Cheers Waco... will have a look out for it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ant_Ponte

Shaded Area

Try thishttp://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqshade.htm
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. lazy-gardener

decking-love it or hate it!!

well we finally ordered all the wood yesterday to be delivered next weekend! I am sooo excited!Mind you we were a bit like the keystone cops trying to work out how much timber we needed. In the...
    well we finally ordered all the wood yesterday to be delivered next weekend! I am sooo excited!Mind you we were a bit like the keystone cops trying to work out how much timber we needed. In the end we had an amount of timber so we added a few bits extra for 'just in case'Cant wait until we...
    well we finally ordered all the wood yesterday to be delivered next weekend! I am sooo excited!Mind you we were a bit like the keystone cops trying to work out how much timber we needed. In the end we had an amount of timber so we added a few...
    well we finally ordered all the wood yesterday to be delivered next weekend! I am sooo excited!Mind you we were a bit like the keystone cops trying to work out how much timber we needed. In the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Hornbeam

Ents

Eye, eye, something strange there, who nose what that can be Fran. :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. chilli50

alocasia

I have only grown Alocasias under glass so I have no expreience of growing them outside and personally I wouldn't try to. I had never heard of Poly untill your post but looking at pics of it it...
    I have only grown Alocasias under glass so I have no expreience of growing them outside and personally I wouldn't try to. I had never heard of Poly untill your post but looking at pics of it it appears to a hybrid of Amazonica/Sanderiana or similar.I have not grown them for many years so I am...
    I have only grown Alocasias under glass so I have no expreience of growing them outside and personally I wouldn't try to. I had never heard of Poly untill your post but looking at pics of it it appears to a hybrid of Amazonica/Sanderiana or...
    I have only grown Alocasias under glass so I have no expreience of growing them outside and personally I wouldn't try to. I had never heard of Poly untill your post but looking at pics of it it...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice