1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. marty 600

Getting rid of thorny Brambles.. without killing hedge!

A varient on painting it on is to put a bit of Roundup, which I think contains the chemical Glyphosphate, in a polythene bag, push the leaves into the bag and seal it up with sellotape. That way...
    A varient on painting it on is to put a bit of Roundup, which I think contains the chemical Glyphosphate, in a polythene bag, push the leaves into the bag and seal it up with sellotape. That way the plant is in contact with the weedkiller for a long period.The reason for suggesting Roundup or...
    A varient on painting it on is to put a bit of Roundup, which I think contains the chemical Glyphosphate, in a polythene bag, push the leaves into the bag and seal it up with sellotape. That way the plant is in contact with the weedkiller for a...
    A varient on painting it on is to put a bit of Roundup, which I think contains the chemical Glyphosphate, in a polythene bag, push the leaves into the bag and seal it up with sellotape. That way...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. geoff

Tubers

Mine vary from 1 ft. high in the conservatory to nothing (also in conservatory) - seems to depend on variety. Picasso is just shooting but Brilliant is well away. The ones which I left outside...
    Mine vary from 1 ft. high in the conservatory to nothing (also in conservatory) - seems to depend on variety. Picasso is just shooting but Brilliant is well away. The ones which I left outside show no sign of growth as yet.All are well watered and feeding started last week.
    Mine vary from 1 ft. high in the conservatory to nothing (also in conservatory) - seems to depend on variety. Picasso is just shooting but Brilliant is well away. The ones which I left outside show no sign of growth as yet.All are well watered...
    Mine vary from 1 ft. high in the conservatory to nothing (also in conservatory) - seems to depend on variety. Picasso is just shooting but Brilliant is well away. The ones which I left outside...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. mrssimmy

Help with choosing shrub

Ouu err Nice South face - Wisteria, roses, clematis honeysuckle. You could underplant with lavender, a few verbascums if its dry soil, nerines against the wall. where abouts in North Yorks are...
    Ouu err Nice South face - Wisteria, roses, clematis honeysuckle. You could underplant with lavender, a few verbascums if its dry soil, nerines against the wall. where abouts in North Yorks are you?As to your shadey area, is it all in containers? I used to hate my shady areas but now I have my...
    Ouu err Nice South face - Wisteria, roses, clematis honeysuckle. You could underplant with lavender, a few verbascums if its dry soil, nerines against the wall. where abouts in North Yorks are you?As to your shadey area, is it all in...
    Ouu err Nice South face - Wisteria, roses, clematis honeysuckle. You could underplant with lavender, a few verbascums if its dry soil, nerines against the wall. where abouts in North Yorks are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Liz

Seed germination

I grow verbena venosa every year (about 500-1200 for the parks obviously) I have never given them any cold treatment only because I have never seen or read any advice on the subject. Half of the...
    I grow verbena venosa every year (about 500-1200 for the parks obviously) I have never given them any cold treatment only because I have never seen or read any advice on the subject. Half of the seed comes up in 2/3 weeks and the rest 2/3 weeks later ... very annoying trying to prick out half a...
    I grow verbena venosa every year (about 500-1200 for the parks obviously) I have never given them any cold treatment only because I have never seen or read any advice on the subject. Half of the seed comes up in 2/3 weeks and the rest 2/3 weeks...
    I grow verbena venosa every year (about 500-1200 for the parks obviously) I have never given them any cold treatment only because I have never seen or read any advice on the subject. Half of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Mrs T

Rhodedendrons

Hi Mrs T (great name BTW - you need a Mr T in a wig avatar now!)If the rhodie is in the right kind of soil, and it looks otherwise healthy it could be just a bit too young?There's a good...
    Hi Mrs T (great name BTW - you need a Mr T in a wig avatar now!)If the rhodie is in the right kind of soil, and it looks otherwise healthy it could be just a bit too young?There's a good article here:http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0301/nonflowering_rhododendrons.aspHope that...
    Hi Mrs T (great name BTW - you need a Mr T in a wig avatar now!)If the rhodie is in the right kind of soil, and it looks otherwise healthy it could be just a bit too young?There's a good article...
    Hi Mrs T (great name BTW - you need a Mr T in a wig avatar now!)If the rhodie is in the right kind of soil, and it looks otherwise healthy it could be just a bit too young?There's a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. lazy-gardener

sunflowers and seeds

I think they must be varieties bred for big seeds. I have eaten my sunflower seeds but they're much smaller than bought ones so it takes too long to get them out!
    I think they must be varieties bred for big seeds. I have eaten my sunflower seeds but they're much smaller than bought ones so it takes too long to get them out!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. zara

deterants for cats help

You would be suprised how many people do not worm their animals..I work as a veterinary nurse and despite trying to educate owners unfortunatly there are still quite alot of people who refuse to...
    You would be suprised how many people do not worm their animals..I work as a veterinary nurse and despite trying to educate owners unfortunatly there are still quite alot of people who refuse to worm their animals, they dont seem to realise that its a risk, they buy a puppy/kitten worm it for...
    You would be suprised how many people do not worm their animals..I work as a veterinary nurse and despite trying to educate owners unfortunatly there are still quite alot of people who refuse to worm their animals, they dont seem to realise that...
    You would be suprised how many people do not worm their animals..I work as a veterinary nurse and despite trying to educate owners unfortunatly there are still quite alot of people who refuse to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wishaw

sawdust

I'd agree, when we have discussed pollutants before the general conclusion has been that if there's enough in the soil to harm us then the plants won't do well either.
    I'd agree, when we have discussed pollutants before the general conclusion has been that if there's enough in the soil to harm us then the plants won't do well either.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. darlie chimmock

potted plants

Hello all. Ive had the music lovers rose growing in a pot on my patio for 2 years quite happily but it's died on me this year, any idea why. My other potted roses are ok. Also in your opinion is...
    Hello all. Ive had the music lovers rose growing in a pot on my patio for 2 years quite happily but it's died on me this year, any idea why. My other potted roses are ok. Also in your opinion is there anything that wont grow in a pot given the right soil and feed etc?
    Hello all. Ive had the music lovers rose growing in a pot on my patio for 2 years quite happily but it's died on me this year, any idea why. My other potted roses are ok. Also in your opinion is there anything that wont grow in a pot given the...
    Hello all. Ive had the music lovers rose growing in a pot on my patio for 2 years quite happily but it's died on me this year, any idea why. My other potted roses are ok. Also in your opinion is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. darlie chimmock

a bit of imagination

well waco you unmade the day you made the other day but thanks for the tips.might get john brook books at the library.thanks honey bee for your ideas, sounds good, cant wait to get started.cheers.
    well waco you unmade the day you made the other day but thanks for the tips.might get john brook books at the library.thanks honey bee for your ideas, sounds good, cant wait to get started.cheers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. darlie chimmock

northeast walls

thanks everyone - big help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. wishaw

Unusual question...

Also, you get the green ones fresh all year - the white ones are in season only from 21st of April until 21st of June (a bit earlier for the Moroccan and Greek varieties). Outside these times it...
    Also, you get the green ones fresh all year - the white ones are in season only from 21st of April until 21st of June (a bit earlier for the Moroccan and Greek varieties). Outside these times it comes only from tins and jars and freezers - and in that state it can be like rubber sometimes and is...
    Also, you get the green ones fresh all year - the white ones are in season only from 21st of April until 21st of June (a bit earlier for the Moroccan and Greek varieties). Outside these times it comes only from tins and jars and freezers - and in...
    Also, you get the green ones fresh all year - the white ones are in season only from 21st of April until 21st of June (a bit earlier for the Moroccan and Greek varieties). Outside these times it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. pinklady

muscari , grape hyacinth help?

I've found the best way to divide them is to dig up a clump and drop it in the bin.
    I've found the best way to divide them is to dig up a clump and drop it in the bin.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. robbo

CLEMATIS

If you prune them hard in Feb/Mar to 12 or 18 inches, you should make them bush out. Its a bit late now but it might still be possible. This is recommended for all new plants, irrespective of...
    If you prune them hard in Feb/Mar to 12 or 18 inches, you should make them bush out. Its a bit late now but it might still be possible. This is recommended for all new plants, irrespective of their normal pruning requirements. As Palustris says if it is an early flowering type you might have...
    If you prune them hard in Feb/Mar to 12 or 18 inches, you should make them bush out. Its a bit late now but it might still be possible. This is recommended for all new plants, irrespective of their normal pruning requirements. As Palustris...
    If you prune them hard in Feb/Mar to 12 or 18 inches, you should make them bush out. Its a bit late now but it might still be possible. This is recommended for all new plants, irrespective of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. rose50

crocus

many thanks for advice hubby wiil have to put up with the long grass a bit longer!
    many thanks for advice hubby wiil have to put up with the long grass a bit longer!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Waco

New fern - very poorley

Stinking after on the beach - mine come back smelling sweetly after all that salt and water! well after it all dries out that is.I wish you luck with Parkers ferns, let me know how you goet on....
    Stinking after on the beach - mine come back smelling sweetly after all that salt and water! well after it all dries out that is.I wish you luck with Parkers ferns, let me know how you goet on. I bought the grasses too and the red one is pathetic, it is in my hospital ward, but could end up...
    Stinking after on the beach - mine come back smelling sweetly after all that salt and water! well after it all dries out that is.I wish you luck with Parkers ferns, let me know how you goet on. I bought the grasses too and the red one is...
    Stinking after on the beach - mine come back smelling sweetly after all that salt and water! well after it all dries out that is.I wish you luck with Parkers ferns, let me know how you goet on....
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. sharon

Climbers - support

Thanks Peter, good idea about wiring each panel independantly.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Nic

Climber for really shady wall?

I will have a go at these names ?Armandii and cirhoco that I have in shade.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. elainefiz

crocus after flowering.

thankyou Palustris,it wasnt black night but cool rockets and larkspur.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. lazy-gardener

decking-love it or hate it!!

well we finally ordered all the wood yesterday to be delivered next weekend! I am sooo excited!Mind you we were a bit like the keystone cops trying to work out how much timber we needed. In the...
    well we finally ordered all the wood yesterday to be delivered next weekend! I am sooo excited!Mind you we were a bit like the keystone cops trying to work out how much timber we needed. In the end we had an amount of timber so we added a few bits extra for 'just in case'Cant wait until we...
    well we finally ordered all the wood yesterday to be delivered next weekend! I am sooo excited!Mind you we were a bit like the keystone cops trying to work out how much timber we needed. In the end we had an amount of timber so we added a few...
    well we finally ordered all the wood yesterday to be delivered next weekend! I am sooo excited!Mind you we were a bit like the keystone cops trying to work out how much timber we needed. In the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice