General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. nickp

Worm casts - at this time of year ??

Yep - the worms have appreciated all your hard work! :DJust keep brushing them off
    Yep - the worms have appreciated all your hard work! :DJust keep brushing them off
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Pink

I found a mushroom in my lavender!

Probably a spore imported with your compost it's not worth bothering with it wouldn't transplant very well if at all.
    Probably a spore imported with your compost it's not worth bothering with it wouldn't transplant very well if at all.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Scotkat

Large garden project

Sorry, but I would use roundup - just the once to get it under control.Barrier membrane perhaps?Digging it out will work (done that, back before we had Glyphosphate, not keen to do it...
    Sorry, but I would use roundup - just the once to get it under control.Barrier membrane perhaps?Digging it out will work (done that, back before we had Glyphosphate, not keen to do it again!!), but you need to be thorough and then vigilant until its all gone. If the area is small that...
    Sorry, but I would use roundup - just the once to get it under control.Barrier membrane perhaps?Digging it out will work (done that, back before we had Glyphosphate, not keen to do it again!!), but you need to be thorough and then vigilant...
    Sorry, but I would use roundup - just the once to get it under control.Barrier membrane perhaps?Digging it out will work (done that, back before we had Glyphosphate, not keen to do it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. cymro

new shed, and just finished my fence

Looks very posh Cymro,well done.:thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. BigBaddad

Native Crab Apple.

How big must they be? When did you need them? Where are you?I ask this because over christmas I replanted my hedgerow with native crab apples, and had a few surplus so they are busy growing in a...
    How big must they be? When did you need them? Where are you?I ask this because over christmas I replanted my hedgerow with native crab apples, and had a few surplus so they are busy growing in a temporary enclosure at the moment. They are only a year old and not very large, and probably won't...
    How big must they be? When did you need them? Where are you?I ask this because over christmas I replanted my hedgerow with native crab apples, and had a few surplus so they are busy growing in a temporary enclosure at the moment. They are only...
    How big must they be? When did you need them? Where are you?I ask this because over christmas I replanted my hedgerow with native crab apples, and had a few surplus so they are busy growing in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Kedi-Gato

Schefflera

It is a Schefflera but also known as Brasasia Kedi, I've seen similar ones flowering in Tenerife. :)
    It is a Schefflera but also known as Brasasia Kedi, I've seen similar ones flowering in Tenerife. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Horsham Del

Mounted Orchids

:thmb: Hi Del how about these links..? Hope there are some ideas there..:thmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Brind

Playing with colours..

I'd post pics so people can see the comparison! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. starling

monterey cypress shallow chalk help

Hi.. I used to look after the gardens at Sussex Square in Brighton, (shallow chalk soils) In the Great Strorm of October 1987 we lost over 30 mature Monterey Cypresses, ripped out of the ground,...
    Hi.. I used to look after the gardens at Sussex Square in Brighton, (shallow chalk soils) In the Great Strorm of October 1987 we lost over 30 mature Monterey Cypresses, ripped out of the ground, roots and all! Not one was left standing, while some other trees survived (albeit ripped to shreds!) ...
    Hi.. I used to look after the gardens at Sussex Square in Brighton, (shallow chalk soils) In the Great Strorm of October 1987 we lost over 30 mature Monterey Cypresses, ripped out of the ground, roots and all! Not one was left standing, while...
    Hi.. I used to look after the gardens at Sussex Square in Brighton, (shallow chalk soils) In the Great Strorm of October 1987 we lost over 30 mature Monterey Cypresses, ripped out of the ground,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. young996

Back filling trench & raised bed

It would be the perfect time to do it in my opinion, AND digging some more in when the topsoil arrives too. Can`t have too much cr*p in my opinion lol. The green ripple Ivy is one of my...
    It would be the perfect time to do it in my opinion, AND digging some more in when the topsoil arrives too. Can`t have too much cr*p in my opinion lol. The green ripple Ivy is one of my favourite ivys (or is it ivies?? you wouldn`t think I had any qualifications) -a dropdead gorgeous leaf...
    It would be the perfect time to do it in my opinion, AND digging some more in when the topsoil arrives too. Can`t have too much cr*p in my opinion lol. The green ripple Ivy is one of my favourite ivys (or is it ivies?? you wouldn`t think I had...
    It would be the perfect time to do it in my opinion, AND digging some more in when the topsoil arrives too. Can`t have too much cr*p in my opinion lol. The green ripple Ivy is one of my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Silmar

heated propagator

You can get one with 7 little trays that fits on a window ledge like this:it isn't thermostatically controlled, but only uses 13 wattsor you could get a thermostatically controlled one...
    You can get one with 7 little trays that fits on a window ledge like this:it isn't thermostatically controlled, but only uses 13 wattsor you could get a thermostatically controlled one like(although that one is square, so probably not suitable for a window ledge)Problem with a North...
    You can get one with 7 little trays that fits on a window ledge like this:it isn't thermostatically controlled, but only uses 13 wattsor you could get a thermostatically controlled one like(although that one is square, so probably not...
    You can get one with 7 little trays that fits on a window ledge like this:it isn't thermostatically controlled, but only uses 13 wattsor you could get a thermostatically controlled one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. daleks2020

pansy help . bare garden ,what to grow

Welcome to GC Dalek, I'm not sure you would really want a garden with just pansies as it may look like a Parks flower bed. They are not particularly good as a house plant but if you realy want one...
    Welcome to GC Dalek, I'm not sure you would really want a garden with just pansies as it may look like a Parks flower bed. They are not particularly good as a house plant but if you realy want one it might be ok short term they are usually sold in GCs in packs not singlely in pots. Summer...
    Welcome to GC Dalek, I'm not sure you would really want a garden with just pansies as it may look like a Parks flower bed. They are not particularly good as a house plant but if you realy want one it might be ok short term they are usually sold...
    Welcome to GC Dalek, I'm not sure you would really want a garden with just pansies as it may look like a Parks flower bed. They are not particularly good as a house plant but if you realy want one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jamike

Advice on building a picket fence & gate

I am thinking of taking up the conifer hedge in the front garden do you think this would be a big job Will the conifers be better cut down and then try and get the roots out or just to cut them...
    I am thinking of taking up the conifer hedge in the front garden do you think this would be a big job Will the conifers be better cut down and then try and get the roots out or just to cut them as near to ground level I have a palisade fence on the right hand side of garden and I was...
    I am thinking of taking up the conifer hedge in the front garden do you think this would be a big job Will the conifers be better cut down and then try and get the roots out or just to cut them as near to ground level I have a palisade fence...
    I am thinking of taking up the conifer hedge in the front garden do you think this would be a big job Will the conifers be better cut down and then try and get the roots out or just to cut them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Micky V

Raised bed

Hi Micky last summer my DH was laying new slabs and instead of putting old to skip turned them on their side to make me a raised veggie bed ,soil is depth of the slab looks good. Good luck:)
    Hi Micky last summer my DH was laying new slabs and instead of putting old to skip turned them on their side to make me a raised veggie bed ,soil is depth of the slab looks good. Good luck:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Lyn

A raise bed

A minimum of 6" Lyn. This will give you a total depth of about 12 ".:thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Ariadae

small gravel garden

might sound a stupid question but why is it gravel as this is often used to solve a problem - eg heavy soil ?
    might sound a stupid question but why is it gravel as this is often used to solve a problem - eg heavy soil ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. wilroda

Isoplexis help please

I've only tried Isoplexis once, not sure which species it was now, but it wasn't hardy and died its first winter out.Think I would just leave it for now and see what happens if the weather...
    I've only tried Isoplexis once, not sure which species it was now, but it wasn't hardy and died its first winter out.Think I would just leave it for now and see what happens if the weather should ever warm up.
    I've only tried Isoplexis once, not sure which species it was now, but it wasn't hardy and died its first winter out.Think I would just leave it for now and see what happens if the weather should ever warm up.
    I've only tried Isoplexis once, not sure which species it was now, but it wasn't hardy and died its first winter out.Think I would just leave it for now and see what happens if the weather...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Kedi-Gato

Papayas

You are entirely right. When I lived in Kenya, we knew that if you dropped a paw-paw seed in a crack in the concrete, within a few weeks it would have sprouted and within a few mroe weeks you'd...
    You are entirely right. When I lived in Kenya, we knew that if you dropped a paw-paw seed in a crack in the concrete, within a few weeks it would have sprouted and within a few mroe weeks you'd have a paw-paw tree producing the most delicious fruits. It is number 2 to mangos as one of the best...
    You are entirely right. When I lived in Kenya, we knew that if you dropped a paw-paw seed in a crack in the concrete, within a few weeks it would have sprouted and within a few mroe weeks you'd have a paw-paw tree producing the most delicious...
    You are entirely right. When I lived in Kenya, we knew that if you dropped a paw-paw seed in a crack in the concrete, within a few weeks it would have sprouted and within a few mroe weeks you'd...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Man Of Leisure MOL

Malus Red Sentinel

It was the cold weather. We grow a huge range of crab apples and they usually carry their fruit until they fall off. This year our trees were stripped clean
    It was the cold weather. We grow a huge range of crab apples and they usually carry their fruit until they fall off. This year our trees were stripped clean
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. lollipop

Hardwood cuttings already sprouting buds??

I think that they will try to do what they would normally do, regardless, so I don;t think you can assume they have rooted. But then ain't 100% dead, that's for sure! Just leave them be, look...
    I think that they will try to do what they would normally do, regardless, so I don;t think you can assume they have rooted. But then ain't 100% dead, that's for sure! Just leave them be, look after them as normal, and keep your fingers crossed and put your best green nail varnish on them!
    I think that they will try to do what they would normally do, regardless, so I don;t think you can assume they have rooted. But then ain't 100% dead, that's for sure! Just leave them be, look after them as normal, and keep your fingers crossed...
    I think that they will try to do what they would normally do, regardless, so I don;t think you can assume they have rooted. But then ain't 100% dead, that's for sure! Just leave them be, look...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice