1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Mimi

advice please

It is going to remain outdoors and regarding drainage, the guy who carved it out for me said that it doesn't really need drainage as the wood will absorb any excess liquid, having said that I...
    It is going to remain outdoors and regarding drainage, the guy who carved it out for me said that it doesn't really need drainage as the wood will absorb any excess liquid, having said that I could drill some holes in it anyway.Thanks for your idea
    It is going to remain outdoors and regarding drainage, the guy who carved it out for me said that it doesn't really need drainage as the wood will absorb any excess liquid, having said that I could drill some holes in it anyway.Thanks for your idea
    It is going to remain outdoors and regarding drainage, the guy who carved it out for me said that it doesn't really need drainage as the wood will absorb any excess liquid, having said that I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Pro Gard

Any contractors going to Saltex?

As above, if anyones going pm me nearer the time and we can meet for a pint. Im thinking of heading up on the wensday.
    As above, if anyones going pm me nearer the time and we can meet for a pint. Im thinking of heading up on the wensday.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. chobart

Dahlias

For dahlias I think you need one of the large mophead. Don't know too much about them but for exhibition purposes, RHS A-Z classes 'Giant' as over 25cm, (10 in). 6 full pages listed of dahlia...
    For dahlias I think you need one of the large mophead. Don't know too much about them but for exhibition purposes, RHS A-Z classes 'Giant' as over 25cm, (10 in). 6 full pages listed of dahlia varieties but just one taken at random D. Cream Alva's 1.3m tall (4 1/2 ft.) and 60cm (24in) bloom :D ...
    For dahlias I think you need one of the large mophead. Don't know too much about them but for exhibition purposes, RHS A-Z classes 'Giant' as over 25cm, (10 in). 6 full pages listed of dahlia varieties but just one taken at random D. Cream Alva's...
    For dahlias I think you need one of the large mophead. Don't know too much about them but for exhibition purposes, RHS A-Z classes 'Giant' as over 25cm, (10 in). 6 full pages listed of dahlia...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. daz and debs

pic of basjoo

Cheers mate..daz
    Cheers mate..daz
    Cheers mate..daz
    Cheers mate..daz
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. bexy13

It's Show Time:

Oh and @merleworld :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. nickp

Hole in My Holly ....

Hi,If the canker hadn't got into the cambium then the next course of treatment would've been to cut around the affected tissue to stop it spreading. Unfortunately this infection looks as if it's...
    Hi,If the canker hadn't got into the cambium then the next course of treatment would've been to cut around the affected tissue to stop it spreading. Unfortunately this infection looks as if it's gone straight through the bark and heading into cambium which lies behind.If I can provide a lay...
    Hi,If the canker hadn't got into the cambium then the next course of treatment would've been to cut around the affected tissue to stop it spreading. Unfortunately this infection looks as if it's gone straight through the bark and heading into...
    Hi,If the canker hadn't got into the cambium then the next course of treatment would've been to cut around the affected tissue to stop it spreading. Unfortunately this infection looks as if it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. NewbieGreen

Moist air in cold frame

Thanks all, kind of what i suspected. Once i had thought about it i was kind of thinking along the lines of PeterS. It is more like a moring dew. Also i do ventilate it and it does dry up quite...
    Thanks all, kind of what i suspected. Once i had thought about it i was kind of thinking along the lines of PeterS. It is more like a moring dew. Also i do ventilate it and it does dry up quite quickly.
    Thanks all, kind of what i suspected. Once i had thought about it i was kind of thinking along the lines of PeterS. It is more like a moring dew. Also i do ventilate it and it does dry up quite quickly.
    Thanks all, kind of what i suspected. Once i had thought about it i was kind of thinking along the lines of PeterS. It is more like a moring dew. Also i do ventilate it and it does dry up quite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Liz

Dismal failure

I have six melon plants. On a previous thread I asked if I was ever going to get any females flowers. My plants then started getting a bit over grown with side stems. So I decided to do a prune....
    I have six melon plants. On a previous thread I asked if I was ever going to get any females flowers. My plants then started getting a bit over grown with side stems. So I decided to do a prune. Since then I have had 6 female flowers all of which I pollinated and it looks like a few more are...
    I have six melon plants. On a previous thread I asked if I was ever going to get any females flowers. My plants then started getting a bit over grown with side stems. So I decided to do a prune. Since then I have had 6 female flowers all of which...
    I have six melon plants. On a previous thread I asked if I was ever going to get any females flowers. My plants then started getting a bit over grown with side stems. So I decided to do a prune....
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Larburnum

Stargazer Lilies

Thanks again, the leaves are still lovely and green and very healthy looking so I will leave until they go brown. Never heard of Lily beetle Fran so I looked it up on internet to see what it...
    Thanks again, the leaves are still lovely and green and very healthy looking so I will leave until they go brown. Never heard of Lily beetle Fran so I looked it up on internet to see what it looked like. Nasty red little thing which I have never seen before. There was a Map showing where it had...
    Thanks again, the leaves are still lovely and green and very healthy looking so I will leave until they go brown. Never heard of Lily beetle Fran so I looked it up on internet to see what it looked like. Nasty red little thing which I have never...
    Thanks again, the leaves are still lovely and green and very healthy looking so I will leave until they go brown. Never heard of Lily beetle Fran so I looked it up on internet to see what it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. barryman

Pruning Japanese Rhododendron Azalea ??

I have a four year old Japanese Azalea which, since I planted it, has grudgingly given a few little blooms around March/April. This year, nothing!!! Looking at it (photos attached, it looks a bit...
    I have a four year old Japanese Azalea which, since I planted it, has grudgingly given a few little blooms around March/April. This year, nothing!!! Looking at it (photos attached, it looks a bit sparse at the base though you can see it's got foliage at the tips but no flowers.I am wondering...
    I have a four year old Japanese Azalea which, since I planted it, has grudgingly given a few little blooms around March/April. This year, nothing!!! Looking at it (photos attached, it looks a bit sparse at the base though you can see it's got...
    I have a four year old Japanese Azalea which, since I planted it, has grudgingly given a few little blooms around March/April. This year, nothing!!! Looking at it (photos attached, it looks a bit...
    IMAG0115.jpg IMAG0116.jpg IMAG0117.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. golfer

Winter

Spring onions and winter lettuce sown last week in poly tunnel are showing as is winter spinach sown outside. Broad bean that were cut right down two weeks ago are showing new flowers, but these...
    Spring onions and winter lettuce sown last week in poly tunnel are showing as is winter spinach sown outside. Broad bean that were cut right down two weeks ago are showing new flowers, but these will be touch and go as far as regards a crop before the first frosts.
    Spring onions and winter lettuce sown last week in poly tunnel are showing as is winter spinach sown outside. Broad bean that were cut right down two weeks ago are showing new flowers, but these will be touch and go as far as regards a crop...
    Spring onions and winter lettuce sown last week in poly tunnel are showing as is winter spinach sown outside. Broad bean that were cut right down two weeks ago are showing new flowers, but these...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. The Lost Antheus

It's happening again!

Another plant dead in the rockery. Same suspicious set of circumstances. This time it was my Silene Maritima. Planted last year flourished, flowered and then died off over winter. New growth was...
    Another plant dead in the rockery. Same suspicious set of circumstances. This time it was my Silene Maritima. Planted last year flourished, flowered and then died off over winter. New growth was coming on strong then pow! I found it dried and shrivelled. On inspection the base of the stem just...
    Another plant dead in the rockery. Same suspicious set of circumstances. This time it was my Silene Maritima. Planted last year flourished, flowered and then died off over winter. New growth was coming on strong then pow! I found it dried and...
    Another plant dead in the rockery. Same suspicious set of circumstances. This time it was my Silene Maritima. Planted last year flourished, flowered and then died off over winter. New growth was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Lisamel

Pots

Hi, and thank you so much, i want to plant outsside,do i need to seal the pot first, is PVA ok to use, then gloss?
    Hi, and thank you so much, i want to plant outsside,do i need to seal the pot first, is PVA ok to use, then gloss?
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. alex-adam

Community Growing Project

I thought that members might like to look at this link to a new venture aimed at getting more people locally to 'Grow their Own'Grown in Middlesbrougha-a
    I thought that members might like to look at this link to a new venture aimed at getting more people locally to 'Grow their Own'Grown in Middlesbrougha-a
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. amme

My yew are here, help what do i do. They are bare rooted ones

Don't panic!Use this link: You lay your bare rooted plants in the shallow trench at an angle of about 45 degreesNo need to put them in the bath!
    Don't panic!Use this link: You lay your bare rooted plants in the shallow trench at an angle of about 45 degreesNo need to put them in the bath!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. greenfingers

gladiolus

Hi greenfingers, not many people grow gladiolus from seed, they take a few years to flower that way. Leave them to grow on, and you can lift the corms in the autumn and dry them off, or you may...
    Hi greenfingers, not many people grow gladiolus from seed, they take a few years to flower that way. Leave them to grow on, and you can lift the corms in the autumn and dry them off, or you may get away with leaving them in the ground overwinter, if its well drained.
    Hi greenfingers, not many people grow gladiolus from seed, they take a few years to flower that way. Leave them to grow on, and you can lift the corms in the autumn and dry them off, or you may get away with leaving them in the ground overwinter,...
    Hi greenfingers, not many people grow gladiolus from seed, they take a few years to flower that way. Leave them to grow on, and you can lift the corms in the autumn and dry them off, or you may...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. men8ifr

Using a propogator

I bought a cheap propogator with seed tray (has 40ish compartments) and it has a plastic clear lid also to grow some seeds so some questions -If seeds say grow direct would they benefit from...
    I bought a cheap propogator with seed tray (has 40ish compartments) and it has a plastic clear lid also to grow some seeds so some questions -If seeds say grow direct would they benefit from starting in a propogator first?How many seeds do you put in a little compartment - I assume this...
    I bought a cheap propogator with seed tray (has 40ish compartments) and it has a plastic clear lid also to grow some seeds so some questions -If seeds say grow direct would they benefit from starting in a propogator first?How many seeds...
    I bought a cheap propogator with seed tray (has 40ish compartments) and it has a plastic clear lid also to grow some seeds so some questions -If seeds say grow direct would they benefit from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. pip

Late bulb planting

Hi all,whilst at my local retail outlet the other day I picked up £15 worth of crocus bulbs for the grand total of £3, is it to late to pot them up and get some spring flowers-bearing in...
    Hi all,whilst at my local retail outlet the other day I picked up £15 worth of crocus bulbs for the grand total of £3, is it to late to pot them up and get some spring flowers-bearing in mind that the bulbs have sprouted?ThanksOOPS just spotted Phobe's thread which is along the...
    Hi all,whilst at my local retail outlet the other day I picked up £15 worth of crocus bulbs for the grand total of £3, is it to late to pot them up and get some spring flowers-bearing in mind that the bulbs have sprouted?ThanksOOPS...
    Hi all,whilst at my local retail outlet the other day I picked up £15 worth of crocus bulbs for the grand total of £3, is it to late to pot them up and get some spring flowers-bearing in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Snappers

Koppert

Has anyone used these before? If so, how sucessful were they and where did you get them from?
    Has anyone used these before? If so, how sucessful were they and where did you get them from?
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS

Day Lilies - longflowering?

I'm sure you're right, Peter - there's no way in this country, out of doors, that any day lilily is going to start early enough to be able to flower continouously for 34 weeks ! That's just...
    I'm sure you're right, Peter - there's no way in this country, out of doors, that any day lilily is going to start early enough to be able to flower continouously for 34 weeks ! That's just phenomenal! The besty I've seen is right throught he summer period in Hemel Hempstead - from June...
    I'm sure you're right, Peter - there's no way in this country, out of doors, that any day lilily is going to start early enough to be able to flower continouously for 34 weeks ! That's just phenomenal! The besty I've seen is right throught he...
    I'm sure you're right, Peter - there's no way in this country, out of doors, that any day lilily is going to start early enough to be able to flower continouously for 34 weeks ! That's just...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice