1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. RYDALL

Food for Tulips?

Rydall, use a high potash fertiliser.:gnthb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. redstar

Bird Garglers

Oh how clever is that?! Now all I need is my castle... :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wiseowl

Out Today

That's a beauty Woo,and A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Annie14

Polypody transplanting

Annie, a bit more info, please. Are they inside or outdoors? If outside, are they in a dryish, sheltered position or in an exposed situation? :thumb:
    Annie, a bit more info, please. Are they inside or outdoors? If outside, are they in a dryish, sheltered position or in an exposed situation? :thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Scotkat

Xmas Camelias in Dobbies

Lovely! If you're going to have it indoors... keep it as cool as pos!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Scotkat

Vibernum

V. tinus laurustinus I think?
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Synthhead

Sowing Winter seeds?

Hi Dave, the brassicas are hardy and should be fine outdoors. I have beet spinach oputside as well. The garlic needs to be outside in the ground as the frost will make the bulb split into...
    Hi Dave, the brassicas are hardy and should be fine outdoors. I have beet spinach oputside as well. The garlic needs to be outside in the ground as the frost will make the bulb split into separate cloves, if they are too warm you tend to just get 1 big clove. Leeks are also fine outside, the...
    Hi Dave, the brassicas are hardy and should be fine outdoors. I have beet spinach oputside as well. The garlic needs to be outside in the ground as the frost will make the bulb split into separate cloves, if they are too warm you tend to just...
    Hi Dave, the brassicas are hardy and should be fine outdoors. I have beet spinach oputside as well. The garlic needs to be outside in the ground as the frost will make the bulb split into...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. garden_fiend

echium pininana

I tend not to protect them, other than building a cover around the plant, some fleece is the only way I guess. That would be best removed during mild spells.I find that its the wet and the...
    I tend not to protect them, other than building a cover around the plant, some fleece is the only way I guess. That would be best removed during mild spells.I find that its the wet and the cold combination that rots the growing point, so maybe just an overhead cover to keep the rain off...
    I tend not to protect them, other than building a cover around the plant, some fleece is the only way I guess. That would be best removed during mild spells.I find that its the wet and the cold combination that rots the growing point, so...
    I tend not to protect them, other than building a cover around the plant, some fleece is the only way I guess. That would be best removed during mild spells.I find that its the wet and the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Slinky

Musa Lasiocarpa Winter advice needed

any advice would be much appreciated:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. sweetpeas

Seed Offer

Thankyou Sweetpea 101:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Small flower

Advice - how to winterise my plants?

:) Hello Smallflower.......you will grow on here :D WELCOME. As a general guidline.........Reduce the roses by a third to stop windrock over winter then prune properly in February. Buddleja tidy...
    :) Hello Smallflower.......you will grow on here :D WELCOME. As a general guidline.........Reduce the roses by a third to stop windrock over winter then prune properly in February. Buddleja tidy up after flowering then prune hard in March. Lavender prune after flowering to about 1" above old...
    :) Hello Smallflower.......you will grow on here :D WELCOME. As a general guidline.........Reduce the roses by a third to stop windrock over winter then prune properly in February. Buddleja tidy up after flowering then prune hard in...
    :) Hello Smallflower.......you will grow on here :D WELCOME. As a general guidline.........Reduce the roses by a third to stop windrock over winter then prune properly in February. Buddleja tidy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Bradshaw_John

Chrysanthemum Maximum Silver Princess

John, I don't know anything about Chrysanthemums is particular. But in general, when plants flower late you divide them in spring. Dividing means digging them up, splitting the plant up into 2 or...
    John, I don't know anything about Chrysanthemums is particular. But in general, when plants flower late you divide them in spring. Dividing means digging them up, splitting the plant up into 2 or more bits and then replanting. This is exactly the same as moving a plant but without the splitting...
    John, I don't know anything about Chrysanthemums is particular. But in general, when plants flower late you divide them in spring. Dividing means digging them up, splitting the plant up into 2 or more bits and then replanting. This is exactly the...
    John, I don't know anything about Chrysanthemums is particular. But in general, when plants flower late you divide them in spring. Dividing means digging them up, splitting the plant up into 2 or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. derwent

Planting on Clematis

You could plant them out now, but personally I prefer to plant clematis in spring. If you can find those long pots which Clems are sold in, then they are the best things to use. In the ground as...
    You could plant them out now, but personally I prefer to plant clematis in spring. If you can find those long pots which Clems are sold in, then they are the best things to use. In the ground as long as it is well drained the winter rain should have no effect on them. If the ground is...
    You could plant them out now, but personally I prefer to plant clematis in spring. If you can find those long pots which Clems are sold in, then they are the best things to use. In the ground as long as it is well drained the winter rain should...
    You could plant them out now, but personally I prefer to plant clematis in spring. If you can find those long pots which Clems are sold in, then they are the best things to use. In the ground as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Steve R

Gardeners world offer

Wow great find Steve Thanks. I've just ordered some hostas but not those ones :)
    Wow great find Steve Thanks. I've just ordered some hostas but not those ones :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. sammyveggiesbmth

fusia

Give your fuchsia a haircut to tidy .I personally dont like take wood cuttings much prefer fresh tip cuttings and you coudl take as many tip cuttings form your out of control bush and plant tips...
    Give your fuchsia a haircut to tidy .I personally dont like take wood cuttings much prefer fresh tip cuttings and you coudl take as many tip cuttings form your out of control bush and plant tips in a pot give good water forget about it and in3-4wks youwill have rooted cuttingsGood luck let...
    Give your fuchsia a haircut to tidy .I personally dont like take wood cuttings much prefer fresh tip cuttings and you coudl take as many tip cuttings form your out of control bush and plant tips in a pot give good water forget about it and...
    Give your fuchsia a haircut to tidy .I personally dont like take wood cuttings much prefer fresh tip cuttings and you coudl take as many tip cuttings form your out of control bush and plant tips...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Steve R

Seed collecting - Cosmos

Steve I think it will be pot luck. You can get packets of single colours of Cosmos and other plants, but they have to come from pure bred lines and kept away from other plants when they are...
    Steve I think it will be pot luck. You can get packets of single colours of Cosmos and other plants, but they have to come from pure bred lines and kept away from other plants when they are germinated.
    Steve I think it will be pot luck. You can get packets of single colours of Cosmos and other plants, but they have to come from pure bred lines and kept away from other plants when they are germinated.
    Steve I think it will be pot luck. You can get packets of single colours of Cosmos and other plants, but they have to come from pure bred lines and kept away from other plants when they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. binchy

willow fedge roots

Hi binchy,What the hell's a fedge? Normally with willow the more you cut them the more bushier they become. If you plan on keeping a regular trimming routine then this shouldn't be a problem as...
    Hi binchy,What the hell's a fedge? Normally with willow the more you cut them the more bushier they become. If you plan on keeping a regular trimming routine then this shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't let the limbs too large. The trunk will increase in girth and you'll end up with a...
    Hi binchy,What the hell's a fedge? Normally with willow the more you cut them the more bushier they become. If you plan on keeping a regular trimming routine then this shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't let the limbs too large. The...
    Hi binchy,What the hell's a fedge? Normally with willow the more you cut them the more bushier they become. If you plan on keeping a regular trimming routine then this shouldn't be a problem as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. lindyco

Making an orchard

You can just buy an orchard pack. This site sells fruit trees in packs of 6 or 16 as maidens, bushes or half standards where the varieties have all been chosen to make sure you get a long...
    You can just buy an orchard pack. This site sells fruit trees in packs of 6 or 16 as maidens, bushes or half standards where the varieties have all been chosen to make sure you get a long fruiting season and everything that needs a pollinator has one.Good luck
    You can just buy an orchard pack. This site sells fruit trees in packs of 6 or 16 as maidens, bushes or half standards where the varieties have all been chosen to make sure you get a long fruiting season and everything that needs a pollinator...
    You can just buy an orchard pack. This site sells fruit trees in packs of 6 or 16 as maidens, bushes or half standards where the varieties have all been chosen to make sure you get a long...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. jaz1975

What to grow!!!

Depends what you like eating really and also what plants you can still find in the garden centres. Its a bit late to start offmost things but from seed, but radish might be OK - I've just sown...
    Depends what you like eating really and also what plants you can still find in the garden centres. Its a bit late to start offmost things but from seed, but radish might be OK - I've just sown some Mooli (winter radish) and also some lettuce types. Its possible to get Kohl Rabi from seed still...
    Depends what you like eating really and also what plants you can still find in the garden centres. Its a bit late to start offmost things but from seed, but radish might be OK - I've just sown some Mooli (winter radish) and also some lettuce...
    Depends what you like eating really and also what plants you can still find in the garden centres. Its a bit late to start offmost things but from seed, but radish might be OK - I've just sown...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sezzle

Advice for beginners re. dried out plants

Thanks, Sezzle! I thought I'd lost a busy lizzie last week through lack of watering - it's in a pot with a pelargonium my other half was given by her boss for Easter. With all the rain the last...
    Thanks, Sezzle! I thought I'd lost a busy lizzie last week through lack of watering - it's in a pot with a pelargonium my other half was given by her boss for Easter. With all the rain the last few weeks I hadn't been watering regularly. I gave it a good drink and it came back to life... your...
    Thanks, Sezzle! I thought I'd lost a busy lizzie last week through lack of watering - it's in a pot with a pelargonium my other half was given by her boss for Easter. With all the rain the last few weeks I hadn't been watering regularly. I gave...
    Thanks, Sezzle! I thought I'd lost a busy lizzie last week through lack of watering - it's in a pot with a pelargonium my other half was given by her boss for Easter. With all the rain the last...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice