General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Jack Sparrow

Heather

Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established...
    Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established and needs cutting back as it gets a bit out of hand. It flowers from mid-October to April.Picture...
    Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established and needs cutting back as it gets a bit out of...
    Our Winter/Spring flowering heather isn't the least bit bothered about soil conditions. It's in heavy clay soil that last had garden compost put on it about 20 years ago. It's well established...
    DSCN0952[1].JPG P1410377.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. guyloup

Dahlias for cutflowers. Sizes of them

@guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by...
    @guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by type, colour, height and bloom size. I’ve randomly checked some of the dahlias on your list and...
    @guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by type, colour, height and bloom size. I’ve...
    @guyloup - this is my favourite dahlia reference site and I think you will enjoy it too, if not the monetary outlay which might result!Www.dahlie.netIt’s language friendly and you can sort by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sienna's Blossom

Self sown apple tree

I would move it and sow the tree where it will be in no one' way.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. luciusmaximus

Pruning a large Hebe

I think you can prune it OK now if you're going to be frost free for a while. The battered parts could take a pruning. It also depends on how large it is.With my large ones I take the hedge...
    I think you can prune it OK now if you're going to be frost free for a while. The battered parts could take a pruning. It also depends on how large it is.With my large ones I take the hedge cutter to them. :rolleyespink: Did it a couple of weeks ago.
    I think you can prune it OK now if you're going to be frost free for a while. The battered parts could take a pruning. It also depends on how large it is.With my large ones I take the hedge cutter to them. :rolleyespink: Did it a couple of weeks ago.
    I think you can prune it OK now if you're going to be frost free for a while. The battered parts could take a pruning. It also depends on how large it is.With my large ones I take the hedge...
    P1390772.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Mike Allen

YOU and todays 'Climate change'.

Hello yes I remember 1963 really well the river Medway frozen over and could be walked across,as I was working on the ship pictured below at Strood pier "The Finmaster" frozen bales of wood pulp...
    Hello yes I remember 1963 really well the river Medway frozen over and could be walked across,as I was working on the ship pictured below at Strood pier "The Finmaster" frozen bales of wood pulp using the ships steam winches which at least kept us warm a little
    Hello yes I remember 1963 really well the river Medway frozen over and could be walked across,as I was working on the ship pictured below at Strood pier "The Finmaster" frozen bales of wood pulp using the ships steam winches which at least kept...
    Hello yes I remember 1963 really well the river Medway frozen over and could be walked across,as I was working on the ship pictured below at Strood pier "The Finmaster" frozen bales of wood pulp...
    Building the Metropolitan District Railway, 1867..jpg Construction work near South Kensington Station..jpg 294.JPG BB.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. ennnceee

Best time to prune Verbena Bonariensis

Thanks all!
    Thanks all!
    Thanks all!
    Thanks all!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Upsydaisy

Should I or shouldn't I??????

just a reminder, I am in zone 6, and have over TWO hundred Thousand bulbs on my property that come up ever year and multiply. We are in the split divide replant mode after 30 years. Even...
    just a reminder, I am in zone 6, and have over TWO hundred Thousand bulbs on my property that come up ever year and multiply. We are in the split divide replant mode after 30 years. Even Alliums come up. I thought we were not talking about "Bulbs" but the more tender plants such as the...
    just a reminder, I am in zone 6, and have over TWO hundred Thousand bulbs on my property that come up ever year and multiply. We are in the split divide replant mode after 30 years. Even Alliums come up. I thought we were not talking about...
    just a reminder, I am in zone 6, and have over TWO hundred Thousand bulbs on my property that come up ever year and multiply. We are in the split divide replant mode after 30 years. Even...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Marley Farley

THE IRIDACEAE (IRIS) FAMILY 2019

@CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones...
    @CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones can get battered with the weather. The C laevigatus does better with the weather, being a bit smaller...
    @CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones can get battered with the weather. The C laevigatus...
    @CarolineL Yes they are scented, a slight honeyed scent. It's easier to pick up on the pot grown ones in the greenhouse. Less air movement and a bit warmer. At this time of year the outdoor ones...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Fat Controller

Heavy Duty Incinerator

Chimera.As our local tip now charges £60 to dispose of a small shed, my £5.82 chimnea is now an even bigger bargain.
    Chimera.As our local tip now charges £60 to dispose of a small shed, my £5.82 chimnea is now an even bigger bargain.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Craigy16ed

Spring flowering bulbs

Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and...
    Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and dividing plant a little further apart than suggested then it takes longer to get to that point. I...
    Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and dividing plant a little further apart than...
    Bone Meal will cause some animals to dig in that area. Also, yes don't cut the foliage, but you have to dead head, cut off the spent flowers. If you want to avoid too much lifting and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. fjordaan

When to plant lavender, and how close together?

Oh, I knew that, Caroline:love30:. It was just that I thought it needed clarifying so that fjordaan, didn't make the mistake that some of my friends did of cutting back the Lavender too far:dunno:
    Oh, I knew that, Caroline:love30:. It was just that I thought it needed clarifying so that fjordaan, didn't make the mistake that some of my friends did of cutting back the Lavender too far:dunno:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. gardening lassie

Planting suggestions under tree

Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing...
    Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing section maybe go for lavender, helianthemum, dianthus, bulbous things like alliums, dwarf irises,...
    Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing section maybe go for lavender, helianthemum,...
    Hi @gardening lassie - welcome! If the soil is always dry (and it will get more so as the pear grows), then it is worth thinking about less 'lush' plants that can stand it. For the south facing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Perki
    Like x 17

Whats Looking Good in October 2019

Christmas Cactus. Parent and younger sibling.
    DSC00917.JPG DSC00920.JPG DSC00921.JPG DSC00923.JPG DSC00924.JPG DSC00930.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Nikolaos

Overwintering plants in a greenhouse

This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find...
    This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find ourselves perhaps underestimating the plants ability to withstand the traumas of life. I wonder. ...
    This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find ourselves perhaps underestimating the plants ability...
    This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. Irrespective of ones knowledge of horticulture, what books we have read etc. We all at some point ask our friends. So so often we find...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. RandyRos

Need advice on choosing a shrub pls

Depending on the size of shrub, of course! If you pick something that's more like 4ft or so, the roots are less likely to make a nuisance of themselves. That said, a previous ex-council house had...
    Depending on the size of shrub, of course! If you pick something that's more like 4ft or so, the roots are less likely to make a nuisance of themselves. That said, a previous ex-council house had a 10ft forsythia growing out of a tiny bed on top of the main drain manhole, and that didn't seem to...
    Depending on the size of shrub, of course! If you pick something that's more like 4ft or so, the roots are less likely to make a nuisance of themselves. That said, a previous ex-council house had a 10ft forsythia growing out of a tiny bed on top...
    Depending on the size of shrub, of course! If you pick something that's more like 4ft or so, the roots are less likely to make a nuisance of themselves. That said, a previous ex-council house had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Nikolaos

Garden weeds - a new approach to make your life easier?

@Nikolaos yes G yeoi is named for Peter Yeo. I've had it for about 15 years (seed from Chiltern Seeds), seed companies appear to sell it as G rubescens. I think it can hybridise with robertianum....
    @Nikolaos yes G yeoi is named for Peter Yeo. I've had it for about 15 years (seed from Chiltern Seeds), seed companies appear to sell it as G rubescens. I think it can hybridise with robertianum. I find that the smell of robertianum is quite variable and not unpleasant.
    @Nikolaos yes G yeoi is named for Peter Yeo. I've had it for about 15 years (seed from Chiltern Seeds), seed companies appear to sell it as G rubescens. I think it can hybridise with robertianum. I find that the smell of robertianum is quite...
    @Nikolaos yes G yeoi is named for Peter Yeo. I've had it for about 15 years (seed from Chiltern Seeds), seed companies appear to sell it as G rubescens. I think it can hybridise with robertianum....
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. miraflores

growing medium

It would be for growing plants from seeds or rooting of cuttings.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. mint

Curry leaf plant identification

Hi, Thank you, i have sent you a message.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Sienna's Blossom
    Like x 5

What would you look for in a new garden if you moved house?

It was @Sienna's Blossom , only sadly being a child I didn't fully appreciate it. Love to have one now though .:)
    It was @Sienna's Blossom , only sadly being a child I didn't fully appreciate it. Love to have one now though .:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. SimonZ

General Astrancia advice?

Hi Simon, in case of Astrantia I would just deadhead them and not cut them down to the ground. They're one of my favourite plants being so reliable, I just wish they were in more colours!!
    Hi Simon, in case of Astrantia I would just deadhead them and not cut them down to the ground. They're one of my favourite plants being so reliable, I just wish they were in more colours!!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice