1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. nightofjoy

Disguising an unsightly composter

I'd go for willow whips,cheap as chips .:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Palustris

What to grow?

I planted out a lot of the seedling Auriculas when we first arrived, just so as I did not have to spend hours watering them. I have found a fair few of them completely rootless and no longer...
    I planted out a lot of the seedling Auriculas when we first arrived, just so as I did not have to spend hours watering them. I have found a fair few of them completely rootless and no longer connected to the ground. First time I have ever had this happen with plants in the garden. Really...
    I planted out a lot of the seedling Auriculas when we first arrived, just so as I did not have to spend hours watering them. I have found a fair few of them completely rootless and no longer connected to the ground. First time I have ever had...
    I planted out a lot of the seedling Auriculas when we first arrived, just so as I did not have to spend hours watering them. I have found a fair few of them completely rootless and no longer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. SimonZ

Advice on this succulent

Sad, sad oldie am I. Have you thought about visiting your local garden center. I am sure you will find a display of popular cacti and succulents. Just a thought.
    Sad, sad oldie am I. Have you thought about visiting your local garden center. I am sure you will find a display of popular cacti and succulents. Just a thought.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. ARMANDII
    Like x 9

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN NOVEMBER 19

My next door neighbours would be offended if I cut back the Roses and Shrubs that overlap our fences as, one neighbour put it, she gets a free garden and over 15' of scented flowering climbing...
    My next door neighbours would be offended if I cut back the Roses and Shrubs that overlap our fences as, one neighbour put it, she gets a free garden and over 15' of scented flowering climbing roses which her visitors think are hers!!:heehee:
    My next door neighbours would be offended if I cut back the Roses and Shrubs that overlap our fences as, one neighbour put it, she gets a free garden and over 15' of scented flowering climbing roses which her visitors think are hers!!:heehee:
    My next door neighbours would be offended if I cut back the Roses and Shrubs that overlap our fences as, one neighbour put it, she gets a free garden and over 15' of scented flowering climbing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Pilsburypie

Drive/front garden planting

We only do a bit of weeding and some cutting back. Otherwise they look after themselves. :blue thumb:Everything here has to look after itself as we have so much to do. :phew: The picture above is about a third...
    We only do a bit of weeding and some cutting back. Otherwise they look after themselves. :blue thumb:Everything here has to look after itself as we have so much to do. :phew: The picture above is about a third of our front garden and that is small compared to the back garden. It gets harder every year :old:...
    We only do a bit of weeding and some cutting back. Otherwise they look after themselves. :blue thumb:Everything here has to look after itself as we have so much to do. :phew: The picture above is about a third of our front garden and that is small compared to...
    We only do a bit of weeding and some cutting back. Otherwise they look after themselves. :blue thumb:Everything here has to look after itself as we have so much to do. :phew: The picture above is about a third...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Vince

Cardoon

Our front garden cardoon gave us an amazing show in the summer but threw up a welcome surprise...... a new shoot (stalk) developed and it's now (December) trying to flower despite all the frost...
    Our front garden cardoon gave us an amazing show in the summer but threw up a welcome surprise...... a new shoot (stalk) developed and it's now (December) trying to flower despite all the frost we've had, not a southern softy?
    Our front garden cardoon gave us an amazing show in the summer but threw up a welcome surprise...... a new shoot (stalk) developed and it's now (December) trying to flower despite all the frost we've had, not a southern softy?
    Our front garden cardoon gave us an amazing show in the summer but threw up a welcome surprise...... a new shoot (stalk) developed and it's now (December) trying to flower despite all the frost...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. miraflores

Winter shrub/bush/tree for front garden.

I would have to do some research, google about, get a tree book from the library and look at listings on line, see what the Birds like to eat. plot down the size type when grown, color...
    I would have to do some research, google about, get a tree book from the library and look at listings on line, see what the Birds like to eat. plot down the size type when grown, color comparison to my other plantings, etc. Part of finding the process is what you discover as your searching,...
    I would have to do some research, google about, get a tree book from the library and look at listings on line, see what the Birds like to eat. plot down the size type when grown, color comparison to my other plantings, etc. Part of finding...
    I would have to do some research, google about, get a tree book from the library and look at listings on line, see what the Birds like to eat. plot down the size type when grown, color...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. andrews
    Like x 8

Our Garden in Print

HmmmFor reasonably quick impact you're struggling.Echiveria take a year before they are anywhere near mature. Yuccas and agaves are at least two years before they are a reasonable size.If...
    HmmmFor reasonably quick impact you're struggling.Echiveria take a year before they are anywhere near mature. Yuccas and agaves are at least two years before they are a reasonable size.If you go to the tropical side, bananas (ensete and musa) will grow reasonably large in the first year...
    HmmmFor reasonably quick impact you're struggling.Echiveria take a year before they are anywhere near mature. Yuccas and agaves are at least two years before they are a reasonable size.If you go to the tropical side, bananas (ensete and...
    HmmmFor reasonably quick impact you're struggling.Echiveria take a year before they are anywhere near mature. Yuccas and agaves are at least two years before they are a reasonable size.If...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Karen Borden

Pittosporum Help!

Only in time will it grow back or should grow back, they isn't much you can do but wait.
    Only in time will it grow back or should grow back, they isn't much you can do but wait.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. CarolineL
    Like x 13

WHAT'S LOOKING GOOD IN DECEMBER 19

Thanks @pete - but I am a plant killer, so perhaps I had better wait until I have got my new garden into a better state to give it some TLC before I beg a cutting from you. :)
    Thanks @pete - but I am a plant killer, so perhaps I had better wait until I have got my new garden into a better state to give it some TLC before I beg a cutting from you. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. NigelJ
    Like x 5

SUPER SALVIAS. 2019

@NigelJ of course - Devon - I should have noticed in your profile. But I will certainly start chancing a few more salvias now that I am in south wet (sorry west) Wales.:) I love s. argentea but I...
    @NigelJ of course - Devon - I should have noticed in your profile. But I will certainly start chancing a few more salvias now that I am in south wet (sorry west) Wales.:) I love s. argentea but I suspect it will hate the moisture here.
    @NigelJ of course - Devon - I should have noticed in your profile. But I will certainly start chancing a few more salvias now that I am in south wet (sorry west) Wales.:) I love s. argentea but I suspect it will hate the moisture here.
    @NigelJ of course - Devon - I should have noticed in your profile. But I will certainly start chancing a few more salvias now that I am in south wet (sorry west) Wales.:) I love s. argentea but I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jack Sparrow

Transplanting cyclamen

Cyclamen. Sowbread.Primulaceae.Believed to be around 19 species. Root type. Tuberous. From seed sown as soon as ripe and in the dark. 14-18 months, and your new plants should be flowering. ...
    Cyclamen. Sowbread.Primulaceae.Believed to be around 19 species. Root type. Tuberous. From seed sown as soon as ripe and in the dark. 14-18 months, and your new plants should be flowering. Smaller species best for rock gardens etc. Hardiness, fully hardy to frost tender. ...
    Cyclamen. Sowbread.Primulaceae.Believed to be around 19 species. Root type. Tuberous. From seed sown as soon as ripe and in the dark. 14-18 months, and your new plants should be flowering. Smaller species best for rock gardens etc. ...
    Cyclamen. Sowbread.Primulaceae.Believed to be around 19 species. Root type. Tuberous. From seed sown as soon as ripe and in the dark. 14-18 months, and your new plants should be flowering. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Sian in Belgium

Replacement for blighted box hedge

Yew is my current favourite! But if rosemary is in the list then probably lavender should be too. Lonicera ntida and even privet...
    Yew is my current favourite! But if rosemary is in the list then probably lavender should be too. Lonicera ntida and even privet...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. TheMadHedger

Cyclamen - why are the pink flowers turning white?

Thanks, very nice photos, yours look a lot better than mine. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. shiney
    Like x 3

Show Us Your Recent Purchases 2019

My 3 kg of Winston seed potatoes arrived from Suttons yesterday, very well packed and I shall use them again.
    My 3 kg of Winston seed potatoes arrived from Suttons yesterday, very well packed and I shall use them again.
    ostokset.JPG 20190113_113423.jpg DSC_0919.jpg DSC_0920.jpg 070A75CC-7E4F-4034-BAE1-543B0B507FAE.jpeg 20190121_153822.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fat Controller

What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2019

Just thought I'd mention that the year is 2020... :whistle::heehee:What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020Nick
    Just thought I'd mention that the year is 2020... :whistle::heehee:What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. wiseowl

Penstemons

I'd leave them until Spring. It protects any delicate growth and still looks good through the winter.Some of ours still have flowers on them :scratch: but we shall cut the top growth off as they're...
    I'd leave them until Spring. It protects any delicate growth and still looks good through the winter.Some of ours still have flowers on them :scratch: but we shall cut the top growth off as they're beginning to flop all over the place. We'll cut them back late March to early April - if we get around...
    I'd leave them until Spring. It protects any delicate growth and still looks good through the winter.Some of ours still have flowers on them :scratch: but we shall cut the top growth off as they're beginning to flop all over the place. We'll cut them...
    I'd leave them until Spring. It protects any delicate growth and still looks good through the winter.Some of ours still have flowers on them :scratch: but we shall cut the top growth off as they're...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Spruce

pieris forest flame (but which one)

thank you
    thank you
    thank you
    thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. kriss

When to cut back?

I cut all ours back in November :yikes:....probably not right but they've never complained and always return!!:bigthumb:
    I cut all ours back in November :yikes:....probably not right but they've never complained and always return!!:bigthumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. nightofjoy

Scatter seeds for shaded area

I have to endorse the other comments about cats knowing what's good for them - or not. We have a large garden with thousands of plants, of which most are listed as possibly toxic. The garden...
    I have to endorse the other comments about cats knowing what's good for them - or not. We have a large garden with thousands of plants, of which most are listed as possibly toxic. The garden always has cats visiting with no deleterious effect. We also don't seem to come across any cat poo :scratch:...
    I have to endorse the other comments about cats knowing what's good for them - or not. We have a large garden with thousands of plants, of which most are listed as possibly toxic. The garden always has cats visiting with no deleterious effect....
    I have to endorse the other comments about cats knowing what's good for them - or not. We have a large garden with thousands of plants, of which most are listed as possibly toxic. The garden...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice