1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. DavieM

Sweet Peas, When best to plant out ?

I'm going to plant mine out this morning and hope for no more frost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. morris28

Mulches

Hi there,Thanks and happy to be guided by the consensus although grateful to Pete2255 for confirming that there was some substance, albeit outdated, to my incorrect assertion.Many Thanks.
    Hi there,Thanks and happy to be guided by the consensus although grateful to Pete2255 for confirming that there was some substance, albeit outdated, to my incorrect assertion.Many Thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. paulindartford

Ailing Acer

simple test on any plant - brown = dead / green = alive - a mix = not long for this world!!
    simple test on any plant - brown = dead / green = alive - a mix = not long for this world!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. grinch

heated propergators

An aquarium heater(cheap 50w-100w)with an adjustable stat would be much safer and economical to run.A shallow plastic tub with a lid (to recycle condensation) partially filled with water...
    An aquarium heater(cheap 50w-100w)with an adjustable stat would be much safer and economical to run.A shallow plastic tub with a lid (to recycle condensation) partially filled with water provides adjustable bottom heat for trays parked on top.Insulate the bottom and sides of the tub with...
    An aquarium heater(cheap 50w-100w)with an adjustable stat would be much safer and economical to run.A shallow plastic tub with a lid (to recycle condensation) partially filled with water provides adjustable bottom heat for trays parked on...
    An aquarium heater(cheap 50w-100w)with an adjustable stat would be much safer and economical to run.A shallow plastic tub with a lid (to recycle condensation) partially filled with water...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Lenton Rose

Lavendula stoechas

I wouldn't give up on them yet Lenten Rose. Some of my lavenders have yet to start into growth again after that long cold spell. You should see some sign of growth over the next four weeks - and...
    I wouldn't give up on them yet Lenten Rose. Some of my lavenders have yet to start into growth again after that long cold spell. You should see some sign of growth over the next four weeks - and hopefully they will survive the close hair cut.
    I wouldn't give up on them yet Lenten Rose. Some of my lavenders have yet to start into growth again after that long cold spell. You should see some sign of growth over the next four weeks - and hopefully they will survive the close hair cut.
    I wouldn't give up on them yet Lenten Rose. Some of my lavenders have yet to start into growth again after that long cold spell. You should see some sign of growth over the next four weeks - and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Simonne15

Defence/Help

Thanks again. They were back again today. We decided to try an experiment putting some of the basket filler they like into an 'empty' hanging basket so that they could help themselves without...
    Thanks again. They were back again today. We decided to try an experiment putting some of the basket filler they like into an 'empty' hanging basket so that they could help themselves without wrecking my plants. We then had to go out. When we returned, the whole 'lump' had gone; so we'll never...
    Thanks again. They were back again today. We decided to try an experiment putting some of the basket filler they like into an 'empty' hanging basket so that they could help themselves without wrecking my plants. We then had to go out. When we...
    Thanks again. They were back again today. We decided to try an experiment putting some of the basket filler they like into an 'empty' hanging basket so that they could help themselves without...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Sme83

Steep bank and new to gardening!

Been thinking about this a bit more, aspect and photo would be helpful, but with economy in mind and the fact that if its your first house you may move on soon, why not try to hold the bank...
    Been thinking about this a bit more, aspect and photo would be helpful, but with economy in mind and the fact that if its your first house you may move on soon, why not try to hold the bank together with planting - not best option, but as I said cheap one and may solve a drainage problem that...
    Been thinking about this a bit more, aspect and photo would be helpful, but with economy in mind and the fact that if its your first house you may move on soon, why not try to hold the bank together with planting - not best option, but as I said...
    Been thinking about this a bit more, aspect and photo would be helpful, but with economy in mind and the fact that if its your first house you may move on soon, why not try to hold the bank...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Stingo

Sweet pea pinching out advice please!!

ah - ha!!!! perhaps thats why my Sweet Peas are always thin and patheticaaly straggy compared to the neighbour's whose are always bushy and thick and soooooooooooo much better than mine...... ...
    ah - ha!!!! perhaps thats why my Sweet Peas are always thin and patheticaaly straggy compared to the neighbour's whose are always bushy and thick and soooooooooooo much better than mine......hopefully now, I may have some decent ones.....(well, we live in hope..)
    ah - ha!!!! perhaps thats why my Sweet Peas are always thin and patheticaaly straggy compared to the neighbour's whose are always bushy and thick and soooooooooooo much better than mine......hopefully now, I may have some decent...
    ah - ha!!!! perhaps thats why my Sweet Peas are always thin and patheticaaly straggy compared to the neighbour's whose are always bushy and thick and soooooooooooo much better than mine...... ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Orchid man

vinilla from seed

That's not very nice Orchid man, no flaming on here please!
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. barndweller

Any suggestions?

Hi, there, Barndweller - welcome! If you've taken conifers out, the soils will be very dry and dusty, I presume? It'll need organic matter dug in, for sure, whatever you plant. I presume there...
    Hi, there, Barndweller - welcome! If you've taken conifers out, the soils will be very dry and dusty, I presume? It'll need organic matter dug in, for sure, whatever you plant. I presume there is enough depth of soil to grow whatever you want?Are you thinking of a formal entrance way by...
    Hi, there, Barndweller - welcome! If you've taken conifers out, the soils will be very dry and dusty, I presume? It'll need organic matter dug in, for sure, whatever you plant. I presume there is enough depth of soil to grow whatever you want?...
    Hi, there, Barndweller - welcome! If you've taken conifers out, the soils will be very dry and dusty, I presume? It'll need organic matter dug in, for sure, whatever you plant. I presume there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Lady Gardener

home made leveller

perfect! what a brilliant idea! :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. The Pea Of Sweetness

Raised flower beds

i THINK YOU MAY HAVE BETTER RESULTS WITH ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF POTS/CONTAINERS. YOU CAN GET SOME FAIRLY GOOD SIZE THINGS FROM RECLAIMATION YARDS ETC.. IN THEORY ALL YOU ARE DOING IS CREATING A...
    i THINK YOU MAY HAVE BETTER RESULTS WITH ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF POTS/CONTAINERS. YOU CAN GET SOME FAIRLY GOOD SIZE THINGS FROM RECLAIMATION YARDS ETC.. IN THEORY ALL YOU ARE DOING IS CREATING A LARGE CONTAINER.
    i THINK YOU MAY HAVE BETTER RESULTS WITH ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF POTS/CONTAINERS. YOU CAN GET SOME FAIRLY GOOD SIZE THINGS FROM RECLAIMATION YARDS ETC.. IN THEORY ALL YOU ARE DOING IS CREATING A LARGE CONTAINER.
    i THINK YOU MAY HAVE BETTER RESULTS WITH ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF POTS/CONTAINERS. YOU CAN GET SOME FAIRLY GOOD SIZE THINGS FROM RECLAIMATION YARDS ETC.. IN THEORY ALL YOU ARE DOING IS CREATING A...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Mrs.D.

Too early to plant out bedding plants?

thank you all for your posts, I really appreciate itI had to retire early last year due to Lupus, so it was the first proper year in the garden. I managed to find out how to get the seeds...
    thank you all for your posts, I really appreciate itI had to retire early last year due to Lupus, so it was the first proper year in the garden. I managed to find out how to get the seeds from baby and large snapdragons, and stored them as directed. Ive sown some of them, and they have...
    thank you all for your posts, I really appreciate itI had to retire early last year due to Lupus, so it was the first proper year in the garden. I managed to find out how to get the seeds from baby and large snapdragons, and stored them as...
    thank you all for your posts, I really appreciate itI had to retire early last year due to Lupus, so it was the first proper year in the garden. I managed to find out how to get the seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Barra

Windy Garden Challenge

agree with both suggestions. I know J Parker does tamarisk http://www.jparkers.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.search&search=tamarisk&producttype_id=48246How...
    agree with both suggestions. I know J Parker does tamarisk http://www.jparkers.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.search&search=tamarisk&producttype_id=48246How about rosemary? It does as well as lavendar in most situations - extremely tough, but nice with it.
    agree with both suggestions. I know J Parker does tamarisk http://www.jparkers.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.search&search=tamarisk&producttype_id=48246How about rosemary? It does as well as lavendar in...
    agree with both suggestions. I know J Parker does tamarisk http://www.jparkers.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.search&search=tamarisk&producttype_id=48246How...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. chobart

Dahlias

For dahlias I think you need one of the large mophead. Don't know too much about them but for exhibition purposes, RHS A-Z classes 'Giant' as over 25cm, (10 in). 6 full pages listed of dahlia...
    For dahlias I think you need one of the large mophead. Don't know too much about them but for exhibition purposes, RHS A-Z classes 'Giant' as over 25cm, (10 in). 6 full pages listed of dahlia varieties but just one taken at random D. Cream Alva's 1.3m tall (4 1/2 ft.) and 60cm (24in) bloom :D ...
    For dahlias I think you need one of the large mophead. Don't know too much about them but for exhibition purposes, RHS A-Z classes 'Giant' as over 25cm, (10 in). 6 full pages listed of dahlia varieties but just one taken at random D. Cream Alva's...
    For dahlias I think you need one of the large mophead. Don't know too much about them but for exhibition purposes, RHS A-Z classes 'Giant' as over 25cm, (10 in). 6 full pages listed of dahlia...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Dave W

Latin lingo

Most of my latin came from having to do extra maths sitting at the back of a latin class. The taught latin was much more interesting than the maths book I was supposed to be working through on my...
    Most of my latin came from having to do extra maths sitting at the back of a latin class. The taught latin was much more interesting than the maths book I was supposed to be working through on my own. Thanks for the reminder about Life of Brian - must see if our son can get hold of it on DVD so...
    Most of my latin came from having to do extra maths sitting at the back of a latin class. The taught latin was much more interesting than the maths book I was supposed to be working through on my own. Thanks for the reminder about Life of Brian -...
    Most of my latin came from having to do extra maths sitting at the back of a latin class. The taught latin was much more interesting than the maths book I was supposed to be working through on my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Barra

Sun Flowers

I grow sunflowers and i allways find that the ones i start off in pots are the best ..if you plant them straight out in the ground you often find the seed gets eaten..i start my seeds off on...
    I grow sunflowers and i allways find that the ones i start off in pots are the best ..if you plant them straight out in the ground you often find the seed gets eaten..i start my seeds off on window ledges and they soon grow..i usually put a little stick up them to support them till the third...
    I grow sunflowers and i allways find that the ones i start off in pots are the best ..if you plant them straight out in the ground you often find the seed gets eaten..i start my seeds off on window ledges and they soon grow..i usually put a...
    I grow sunflowers and i allways find that the ones i start off in pots are the best ..if you plant them straight out in the ground you often find the seed gets eaten..i start my seeds off on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. acra24

Senetti????

Thank you everyone. The flowers on this plant are really lovely.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. susie e

outdoor pot plants

For a slightly different purpose, though! Liquid storage, fair enough, but just imagine the idea of the liquid being released as needed!!
    For a slightly different purpose, though! Liquid storage, fair enough, but just imagine the idea of the liquid being released as needed!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. rosietutu

Arrived at last...

I bought my first mail order plants last autumn, those frilly pansies "Tu-tu", and they were successful, I'd do it again.I bought some F1 geraniums this spring as they were the same price as a...
    I bought my first mail order plants last autumn, those frilly pansies "Tu-tu", and they were successful, I'd do it again.I bought some F1 geraniums this spring as they were the same price as a packet of seeds, I've just planted them out.
    I bought my first mail order plants last autumn, those frilly pansies "Tu-tu", and they were successful, I'd do it again.I bought some F1 geraniums this spring as they were the same price as a packet of seeds, I've just planted them out.
    I bought my first mail order plants last autumn, those frilly pansies "Tu-tu", and they were successful, I'd do it again.I bought some F1 geraniums this spring as they were the same price as a...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice