1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. nevetsnub

green slime

Just break up the top 1/4" (6mm) of soil. The aeration should help the surface layer dry out and the slime (it might be an early stage of moss) should at least be controlled. If it's really bad...
    Just break up the top 1/4" (6mm) of soil. The aeration should help the surface layer dry out and the slime (it might be an early stage of moss) should at least be controlled. If it's really bad then add sharp grit to the top of the pot as well and cut down on the watering.
    Just break up the top 1/4" (6mm) of soil. The aeration should help the surface layer dry out and the slime (it might be an early stage of moss) should at least be controlled. If it's really bad then add sharp grit to the top of the pot as well...
    Just break up the top 1/4" (6mm) of soil. The aeration should help the surface layer dry out and the slime (it might be an early stage of moss) should at least be controlled. If it's really bad...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. pinklady

Hanging basket help ?

you can keep pansies flowering, and stop them getting leggy by trimming them back when they get a bit straggly. You won't be able to put out a hanging basket with lobelia and other bedding plants...
    you can keep pansies flowering, and stop them getting leggy by trimming them back when they get a bit straggly. You won't be able to put out a hanging basket with lobelia and other bedding plants yet - not until May at the earliest, but you can certainly plant it up, and have it maturing in...
    you can keep pansies flowering, and stop them getting leggy by trimming them back when they get a bit straggly. You won't be able to put out a hanging basket with lobelia and other bedding plants yet - not until May at the earliest, but you can...
    you can keep pansies flowering, and stop them getting leggy by trimming them back when they get a bit straggly. You won't be able to put out a hanging basket with lobelia and other bedding plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. garyclay

Weed removal and soil improvement

I agree with PeterS, this is the best way. planting potatoes in rough ground also helps to break up the soil, even if you dont use the produce, any old sprouting potatoes will do
    I agree with PeterS, this is the best way. planting potatoes in rough ground also helps to break up the soil, even if you dont use the produce, any old sprouting potatoes will do
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. frogesque

Fuji Cherry

Gorgeous, Froggy! Agree about that low branch! Really pretty. I think I might find that one makes its way into my garden :rolleyes:
    Gorgeous, Froggy! Agree about that low branch! Really pretty. I think I might find that one makes its way into my garden :rolleyes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Hermes

Victoria Plum Pruning

Thanks Fran, I'll try itHermes
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. lazy-gardener

whahay!!! the pergola is up!

Yor back then peter, I nipped out the seed head from my nacissus rupicola - are you interested in having a go with it, I could easily pop it in the post.
    Yor back then peter, I nipped out the seed head from my nacissus rupicola - are you interested in having a go with it, I could easily pop it in the post.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. pete

California Buckeye aesculus californica

Same here, a real beauty but unfortunately not for my small garden. :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. stephanie100

Stephanotis

This looks a useful link, Steph. I've got one, but haven't had it long. Hope it helps http://www.plant-care.com/stephanotis-trellis-plant.html
    This looks a useful link, Steph. I've got one, but haven't had it long. Hope it helps http://www.plant-care.com/stephanotis-trellis-plant.html
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Waco

Bed mates?

I grow clematis Prince of Wales and clematis Lady Di in same flower bed.what unlikely bed mates does anyone else grow?Actually joking aside, these would have looked lovely together, but he...
    I grow clematis Prince of Wales and clematis Lady Di in same flower bed.what unlikely bed mates does anyone else grow?Actually joking aside, these would have looked lovely together, but he romps away and she gets wilt which is such a shame as it is a beautiful red/pink classy flower. I have...
    I grow clematis Prince of Wales and clematis Lady Di in same flower bed.what unlikely bed mates does anyone else grow?Actually joking aside, these would have looked lovely together, but he romps away and she gets wilt which is such a shame as...
    I grow clematis Prince of Wales and clematis Lady Di in same flower bed.what unlikely bed mates does anyone else grow?Actually joking aside, these would have looked lovely together, but he...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Daisies

my silver birch is bent!

:rolleyes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ohbe

brugmansia

It's common name is Thorn apple because of the shape of the seed pods which are like chestnuts on the outside, although many brugs have oval smooth cases depending on variety.They like lots of...
    It's common name is Thorn apple because of the shape of the seed pods which are like chestnuts on the outside, although many brugs have oval smooth cases depending on variety.They like lots of water and sunlight, it's almost impossible to overfeed them, and red spider mites consider them a...
    It's common name is Thorn apple because of the shape of the seed pods which are like chestnuts on the outside, although many brugs have oval smooth cases depending on variety.They like lots of water and sunlight, it's almost impossible to...
    It's common name is Thorn apple because of the shape of the seed pods which are like chestnuts on the outside, although many brugs have oval smooth cases depending on variety.They like lots of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ohbe

Brady

ouch!Cheaper to name a star!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. gibbinsk

Annuals for late July wedding

Thanks for the advice, looks like busy lizzies are the way to go or a cheap florist! Thanks!
    Thanks for the advice, looks like busy lizzies are the way to go or a cheap florist! Thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Webmaster

It's here !!!

I find a big problem with sterile compost is it's all too easy for a bacterial or fungicidal mono culture to overwhelm the medium you are using. I tend to use a fresh mix of garden compost and...
    I find a big problem with sterile compost is it's all too easy for a bacterial or fungicidal mono culture to overwhelm the medium you are using. I tend to use a fresh mix of garden compost and loam for seedlings. It does have weed seeds and everything else in it fighting for survival but it...
    I find a big problem with sterile compost is it's all too easy for a bacterial or fungicidal mono culture to overwhelm the medium you are using. I tend to use a fresh mix of garden compost and loam for seedlings. It does have weed seeds and...
    I find a big problem with sterile compost is it's all too easy for a bacterial or fungicidal mono culture to overwhelm the medium you are using. I tend to use a fresh mix of garden compost and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. The Pea Of Sweetness

Teracotta Boot

plant gell dude
    plant gell dude
    plant gell dude
    plant gell dude
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. The Pea Of Sweetness

Any Orchid Expert out there?

i think they hava 2 weeks in them. oh one thing take them out of pot cearfully. and see the under neath see if it wery wet . i think its defenetly a drainege problem. i heard you need to furtulize...
    i think they hava 2 weeks in them. oh one thing take them out of pot cearfully. and see the under neath see if it wery wet . i think its defenetly a drainege problem. i heard you need to furtulize orchid weekly. but you need lots of draineg. its good to furtulize weekly but little. ok dude good...
    i think they hava 2 weeks in them. oh one thing take them out of pot cearfully. and see the under neath see if it wery wet . i think its defenetly a drainege problem. i heard you need to furtulize orchid weekly. but you need lots of draineg. its...
    i think they hava 2 weeks in them. oh one thing take them out of pot cearfully. and see the under neath see if it wery wet . i think its defenetly a drainege problem. i heard you need to furtulize...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Charlie

Viburnum after flowering?

I agree, won't give you more flowers, but pruning, or removing dead heads after flowering is fine - they do form berries but I don't find them particularly attractive. .
    I agree, won't give you more flowers, but pruning, or removing dead heads after flowering is fine - they do form berries but I don't find them particularly attractive. .
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. traceyg

cup and saucer plant

thanks very much peeps, i will pinch them out and yes will definately sow them later next year. and will leave them in till mid may should be ok by then hopefully in kent. i brought a morning...
    thanks very much peeps, i will pinch them out and yes will definately sow them later next year. and will leave them in till mid may should be ok by then hopefully in kent. i brought a morning glory plant last year which done amazing on a north wall up some trelis. so have grown some this...
    thanks very much peeps, i will pinch them out and yes will definately sow them later next year. and will leave them in till mid may should be ok by then hopefully in kent. i brought a morning glory plant last year which done amazing on a north...
    thanks very much peeps, i will pinch them out and yes will definately sow them later next year. and will leave them in till mid may should be ok by then hopefully in kent. i brought a morning...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. The Pea Of Sweetness

Unhappy Honeysuckle

well, when i say wood i mean not green!!! seems like its dying at the ends.I'll see how it goes, it nothing changes i think i'll move it.
    well, when i say wood i mean not green!!! seems like its dying at the ends.I'll see how it goes, it nothing changes i think i'll move it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. mr piles

lonicera nitida (baggenson's gold)

I grow three forms of Lonicera, gold, green and silver. the silver I keep as specimin, but is a real pain as it keeps reverting to green! Green is easy, and then there is my gold hedge.Lonicera...
    I grow three forms of Lonicera, gold, green and silver. the silver I keep as specimin, but is a real pain as it keeps reverting to green! Green is easy, and then there is my gold hedge.Lonicera has a very lax habit and needs to be kept well trimmed to prevent open habbit. I suspect you have...
    I grow three forms of Lonicera, gold, green and silver. the silver I keep as specimin, but is a real pain as it keeps reverting to green! Green is easy, and then there is my gold hedge.Lonicera has a very lax habit and needs to be kept well...
    I grow three forms of Lonicera, gold, green and silver. the silver I keep as specimin, but is a real pain as it keeps reverting to green! Green is easy, and then there is my gold hedge.Lonicera...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice