1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Spruce

Amarine Belladiva new to me .....

That's pretty Spruce. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. jtface

Roots in flower beds

Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface...
    Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface soil about 2-3 inches. With the fork I have been attacking the big clumps. Sometimes up to 5-6 inches...
    Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface soil about 2-3 inches. With the fork I have been...
    Thank you for the reply! The concrete blocks at the back are coming out tomorrow, so there will be no plants coming in from there. They're on our side of the fence.I've been hoeing the surface...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Huxley24

Cutting a boundary conifer

True, and we had a problem with that. Unfortunately it is rarely possible to determine the boundary line unless the original markers are still in place. Land Registry told me that the thickness...
    True, and we had a problem with that. Unfortunately it is rarely possible to determine the boundary line unless the original markers are still in place. Land Registry told me that the thickness of the drawn lines on Land Registry documents/maps can easily cover 18" of land. I don't know if...
    True, and we had a problem with that. Unfortunately it is rarely possible to determine the boundary line unless the original markers are still in place. Land Registry told me that the thickness of the drawn lines on Land Registry documents/maps...
    True, and we had a problem with that. Unfortunately it is rarely possible to determine the boundary line unless the original markers are still in place. Land Registry told me that the thickness...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. jimineycricket

Spuds left in ground for months due to harvesting error , safe to eat now ?

NB. When the leaves on potato plants die down like that it means the potatoes are ready to dig up. Not necessarily immediately but ready. All perfectly normal and healthy
    NB. When the leaves on potato plants die down like that it means the potatoes are ready to dig up. Not necessarily immediately but ready. All perfectly normal and healthy
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. HarryS

Olive Tree Standard, Pruning?

Thanks @pete , Miracle Grow it is then once a week for the next 6 weeks, keep it simple.
    Thanks @pete , Miracle Grow it is then once a week for the next 6 weeks, keep it simple.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Killjoy

Weeding the Lawn

Can anyone recommend a good 2 prong hand weeder for getting the weeds out of the lawn all the ones I try seem to bend when I use them, could really do with a cast iron one!
    Can anyone recommend a good 2 prong hand weeder for getting the weeds out of the lawn all the ones I try seem to bend when I use them, could really do with a cast iron one!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. David Quinn

Pruning a crab apple tree

Hi,Thanks in advance for any help.Forgive me for my ignorance on this, I'm a total beginner, I had a gardener booked to look at the ten year old crab apple tree in my back Garden but...
    Hi,Thanks in advance for any help.Forgive me for my ignorance on this, I'm a total beginner, I had a gardener booked to look at the ten year old crab apple tree in my back Garden but obviously he's not coming now and is unlikely to for a long while yet.My Mum bought and planted it, for...
    Hi,Thanks in advance for any help.Forgive me for my ignorance on this, I'm a total beginner, I had a gardener booked to look at the ten year old crab apple tree in my back Garden but obviously he's not coming now and is unlikely to for a...
    Hi,Thanks in advance for any help.Forgive me for my ignorance on this, I'm a total beginner, I had a gardener booked to look at the ten year old crab apple tree in my back Garden but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. longk

Lily Beetle 2020

Noooo ! Not this already. Will check today, I have a new weapon this year; Grazers G4:
    Noooo ! Not this already. Will check today, I have a new weapon this year; Grazers G4:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Nikolaos

Boycott peat!

PS we burn turf. as it is called over here. I buy it from my neighbour the ferryman who has two fields he cuts from. The money thus stays on the island and helps him feed his family. The...
    PS we burn turf. as it is called over here. I buy it from my neighbour the ferryman who has two fields he cuts from. The money thus stays on the island and helps him feed his family. The alternative is Polish coal. So go figure the carbon footprint for that, and ESB costs a small fortune. ...
    PS we burn turf. as it is called over here. I buy it from my neighbour the ferryman who has two fields he cuts from. The money thus stays on the island and helps him feed his family. The alternative is Polish coal. So go figure the carbon...
    PS we burn turf. as it is called over here. I buy it from my neighbour the ferryman who has two fields he cuts from. The money thus stays on the island and helps him feed his family. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. mazambo

Using Peat

Brilliant thanks @pete
    Brilliant thanks @pete
    Brilliant thanks @pete
    Brilliant thanks @pete
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Azamour

Planting in non direct sunlight

Your zone is much more temperate than mine... zone envy for me!If you want low maintenance and beginner plants there's a boat load of never let you down shade plants. Things like hostas that...
    Your zone is much more temperate than mine... zone envy for me!If you want low maintenance and beginner plants there's a boat load of never let you down shade plants. Things like hostas that come back every year and if you change your mind later, don't mind being moved.I still love my...
    Your zone is much more temperate than mine... zone envy for me!If you want low maintenance and beginner plants there's a boat load of never let you down shade plants. Things like hostas that come back every year and if you change your mind...
    Your zone is much more temperate than mine... zone envy for me!If you want low maintenance and beginner plants there's a boat load of never let you down shade plants. Things like hostas that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. TomBem

New Lawn

The secret with dressing is not to cover the grass completely. It will take a number of dressings over a few seasons maybe to bring it up and level rather than in one or two goes but that’s fine....
    The secret with dressing is not to cover the grass completely. It will take a number of dressings over a few seasons maybe to bring it up and level rather than in one or two goes but that’s fine.the books great for learning the basics of lawn care. Part of the fun is learning through...
    The secret with dressing is not to cover the grass completely. It will take a number of dressings over a few seasons maybe to bring it up and level rather than in one or two goes but that’s fine.the books great for learning the basics of lawn...
    The secret with dressing is not to cover the grass completely. It will take a number of dressings over a few seasons maybe to bring it up and level rather than in one or two goes but that’s fine....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. mazambo

Hanging basket compost

@ricky101 we normally buy basket compost with added granules and crystals and line the basket with plastic as you say, probably just a duff bag of compost I suppose it happens from time to time.
    @ricky101 we normally buy basket compost with added granules and crystals and line the basket with plastic as you say, probably just a duff bag of compost I suppose it happens from time to time.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ARMANDII

SWEETPEAS 2020

I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    I pinch out after 4 sets of leaves, in fact just did it a couple of days ago. I actually plant my SPs out in early April, so maybe in a week or so.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. sandhun

How to take this garden to the next level

I definitely get where you're coming from on not being able to see the walls and fence. At the end of the day it's about what you like. I agree with Macraignil that ivy is pretty good for...
    I definitely get where you're coming from on not being able to see the walls and fence. At the end of the day it's about what you like. I agree with Macraignil that ivy is pretty good for wildlife - just that it has downsides too.Fan trained fruit trees are the other option on a fence - a...
    I definitely get where you're coming from on not being able to see the walls and fence. At the end of the day it's about what you like. I agree with Macraignil that ivy is pretty good for wildlife - just that it has downsides too.Fan trained...
    I definitely get where you're coming from on not being able to see the walls and fence. At the end of the day it's about what you like. I agree with Macraignil that ivy is pretty good for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Janet mahay
    Like x 4

Some tips in garden

Great post Janet. I’m going to look up the wild about gardens campaign now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ben Pemberton

Very sad Cheese plant

My guess is overwatering.Does water build up in that outer pot?Think it might have root rot, let it dry out between waterings, I find they don't actually need lots of water.
    My guess is overwatering.Does water build up in that outer pot?Think it might have root rot, let it dry out between waterings, I find they don't actually need lots of water.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HarryS
    Like x 6

Petchoas - New to me ?

The first flower on the Petchoa ! The colour is called Cinnamon, quite nice, but possibly not for a mass basket planting. I think I'll mix it with the other colours yellow and white.Petchoa -...
    The first flower on the Petchoa ! The colour is called Cinnamon, quite nice, but possibly not for a mass basket planting. I think I'll mix it with the other colours yellow and white.Petchoa - Cinnamon
    The first flower on the Petchoa ! The colour is called Cinnamon, quite nice, but possibly not for a mass basket planting. I think I'll mix it with the other colours yellow and white.Petchoa - Cinnamon
    The first flower on the Petchoa ! The colour is called Cinnamon, quite nice, but possibly not for a mass basket planting. I think I'll mix it with the other colours yellow and white.Petchoa -...
    x_petchoa_supercal_light_yellow_16.jpg Screenshot_20200320-082125_Chrome.jpg 20200401_160616.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ricky101

Petunia/Surfinia Cuttings ?

Plant breeders rights loop holes. A breeder can register a no propergation rights that last for 25 years only in UK law, this is why some of the originals from this Japanese breeder have had a...
    Plant breeders rights loop holes. A breeder can register a no propergation rights that last for 25 years only in UK law, this is why some of the originals from this Japanese breeder have had a name change a few years back, for example, Surfinia Hot pink, became Crazy pink. The originals like...
    Plant breeders rights loop holes. A breeder can register a no propergation rights that last for 25 years only in UK law, this is why some of the originals from this Japanese breeder have had a name change a few years back, for example, Surfinia...
    Plant breeders rights loop holes. A breeder can register a no propergation rights that last for 25 years only in UK law, this is why some of the originals from this Japanese breeder have had a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Matthew F

Is this St Johns Wort, why is the root so big, and how do I remove safely?

Hi Perki, Thanks so much for getting back to me. It does look like the Clycinum is growing from the root which really threw me. I won't cut through that huge root though now! I might dig out the...
    Hi Perki, Thanks so much for getting back to me. It does look like the Clycinum is growing from the root which really threw me. I won't cut through that huge root though now! I might dig out the Calycinum and try and re-cover some of the pine root system. At least there's time with lockdown....
    Hi Perki, Thanks so much for getting back to me. It does look like the Clycinum is growing from the root which really threw me. I won't cut through that huge root though now! I might dig out the Calycinum and try and re-cover some of the pine...
    Hi Perki, Thanks so much for getting back to me. It does look like the Clycinum is growing from the root which really threw me. I won't cut through that huge root though now! I might dig out the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice