1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. french floozie

Bamboo and grasses

Hi FF, I have grown some plants of pubescens, which I think is another name for edulis.I sowed the seed about four years ago now and after a slow start they are really getting going now, which...
    Hi FF, I have grown some plants of pubescens, which I think is another name for edulis.I sowed the seed about four years ago now and after a slow start they are really getting going now, which is good as I think its one of the bigger types. Its just like growing grass, but longer term, and...
    Hi FF, I have grown some plants of pubescens, which I think is another name for edulis.I sowed the seed about four years ago now and after a slow start they are really getting going now, which is good as I think its one of the bigger types. ...
    Hi FF, I have grown some plants of pubescens, which I think is another name for edulis.I sowed the seed about four years ago now and after a slow start they are really getting going now, which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Tigerlily

Free seeds

Hi Tigerlilly. You have some interesting things there. I would be very interested in the Salvia - I don't know that one. I am currently growing quite a few different Salvia varieties - its become...
    Hi Tigerlilly. You have some interesting things there. I would be very interested in the Salvia - I don't know that one. I am currently growing quite a few different Salvia varieties - its become a Salvia year for me. I have sent you a PM.
    Hi Tigerlilly. You have some interesting things there. I would be very interested in the Salvia - I don't know that one. I am currently growing quite a few different Salvia varieties - its become a Salvia year for me. I have sent you a PM.
    Hi Tigerlilly. You have some interesting things there. I would be very interested in the Salvia - I don't know that one. I am currently growing quite a few different Salvia varieties - its become...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Man Of Leisure MOL

Wood chippings from ex hedge

Id use it to multch the base of the hedge and around shrubs.BTW if Id been doing the job Id of sudgested laying rather than just topping it as this creates a denser hedge.
    Id use it to multch the base of the hedge and around shrubs.BTW if Id been doing the job Id of sudgested laying rather than just topping it as this creates a denser hedge.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. intermiplants

do the experts lose tubers

These days I dont lift them, I cut the stem to 6" then multch with compost or similar, 95 % come back fine, even in very exposed gardens.If I want to divide the tubers I do it in the...
    These days I dont lift them, I cut the stem to 6" then multch with compost or similar, 95 % come back fine, even in very exposed gardens.If I want to divide the tubers I do it in the spring.When I used to lift them, I would stick them in a wooden box with no compost and a sprinkle of...
    These days I dont lift them, I cut the stem to 6" then multch with compost or similar, 95 % come back fine, even in very exposed gardens.If I want to divide the tubers I do it in the spring.When I used to lift them, I would stick them in a...
    These days I dont lift them, I cut the stem to 6" then multch with compost or similar, 95 % come back fine, even in very exposed gardens.If I want to divide the tubers I do it in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. compost maker

Creation of a snowdrop field in a cemetery

Jean this project sounds wonderful, I love the old enchanting churchyards that are kind of wooded with the bulbs croping up all over the place.I think you are right snowdrops work much better if...
    Jean this project sounds wonderful, I love the old enchanting churchyards that are kind of wooded with the bulbs croping up all over the place.I think you are right snowdrops work much better if they are green.I wish you well with your project.Hel.xxx.
    Jean this project sounds wonderful, I love the old enchanting churchyards that are kind of wooded with the bulbs croping up all over the place.I think you are right snowdrops work much better if they are green.I wish you well with your...
    Jean this project sounds wonderful, I love the old enchanting churchyards that are kind of wooded with the bulbs croping up all over the place.I think you are right snowdrops work much better if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. flowerpotty

possible problem with callisteman citrinus splendens?

Strongylodon is the expert on Callistemon he will probably know.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Dan King

Please help dying plant

Hi Dan & Welcome to GC.... I am sure someone will be able to advise you, but really we need to know what it is.... Here are the instructions for loading photos on to the...
    Hi Dan & Welcome to GC.... I am sure someone will be able to advise you, but really we need to know what it is.... Here are the instructions for loading photos on to the site.... http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000174Get yourself an accout with...
    Hi Dan & Welcome to GC.... I am sure someone will be able to advise you, but really we need to know what it is.... Here are the instructions for loading photos on to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Barra

around the world in 80 gardens

Bum missed it yet again although I did catch the tail end of it!Hel.xxx.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. bluey

Evergreen climbers. Bringing on growth & pruning ?

Trachelospermum aren`t the fastest growing climbers but stick with it, they are worth it. The Clematis could take over so keep an eye on them. You say you used a general bonemeal based fertiliser,...
    Trachelospermum aren`t the fastest growing climbers but stick with it, they are worth it. The Clematis could take over so keep an eye on them. You say you used a general bonemeal based fertiliser, was that bonemeal or fish, blood, and bone? Bonemeal is used to encourage root growth whereas fish,...
    Trachelospermum aren`t the fastest growing climbers but stick with it, they are worth it. The Clematis could take over so keep an eye on them. You say you used a general bonemeal based fertiliser, was that bonemeal or fish, blood, and bone?...
    Trachelospermum aren`t the fastest growing climbers but stick with it, they are worth it. The Clematis could take over so keep an eye on them. You say you used a general bonemeal based fertiliser,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Amazing Jane

planting seeds

Jane to the forum.Herbs are indeed a great bunch of multi purpose plants to grow, the lovely scent of them drifts past me when I brush against mine along my path.I have managed to find you a...
    Jane to the forum.Herbs are indeed a great bunch of multi purpose plants to grow, the lovely scent of them drifts past me when I brush against mine along my path.I have managed to find you a site hopefully it will be able to help you out.Hel.xxx.http://www.gardenersclub.co.uk/growingherbs.asp
    Jane to the forum.Herbs are indeed a great bunch of multi purpose plants to grow, the lovely scent of them drifts past me when I brush against mine along my path.I have managed to find you a site hopefully it will be able to help you...
    Jane to the forum.Herbs are indeed a great bunch of multi purpose plants to grow, the lovely scent of them drifts past me when I brush against mine along my path.I have managed to find you a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. RYDALL

Climbers v's ramblers

Basicly yes, To put it very generally you should be looking at removing dead wood and a few healthy long stems, and tieing in the remainder of long stems and reduceing the lateral shoots by 1/3.
    Basicly yes, To put it very generally you should be looking at removing dead wood and a few healthy long stems, and tieing in the remainder of long stems and reduceing the lateral shoots by 1/3.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ming

lavender

I have moved some of mine at this time some people say leave it until a bit later but I cut all mine down a bit and transferred them to there new site
    I have moved some of mine at this time some people say leave it until a bit later but I cut all mine down a bit and transferred them to there new site
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. oktarine

Reads Retreat Blog

Nice blog Oktarine - good on you. Keep reminding us of it from time to time.Some helpful info on there - you've inspired me to start my tomatoe seedlings.All the best, TC
    Nice blog Oktarine - good on you. Keep reminding us of it from time to time.Some helpful info on there - you've inspired me to start my tomatoe seedlings.All the best, TC
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Rosiemongrel

Pruning in the spring - when?

Shrub roses I do early to mid March.Other roses I prune back 1/3 in late november to prevent windrock /remove long shoots then properly prune any time between Jan and march thinning out growth,...
    Shrub roses I do early to mid March.Other roses I prune back 1/3 in late november to prevent windrock /remove long shoots then properly prune any time between Jan and march thinning out growth, reducing it and removing dead wood.Remember to be quite heavy handed with your summer dead...
    Shrub roses I do early to mid March.Other roses I prune back 1/3 in late november to prevent windrock /remove long shoots then properly prune any time between Jan and march thinning out growth, reducing it and removing dead wood.Remember to...
    Shrub roses I do early to mid March.Other roses I prune back 1/3 in late november to prevent windrock /remove long shoots then properly prune any time between Jan and march thinning out growth,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. CharlieTwickers

Raised beds

I don`t see a problem with gravel boards Charlie, as long as you treat them with a water based preservative. As for the rabbits, there is a product on the market called Renardine which is pretty...
    I don`t see a problem with gravel boards Charlie, as long as you treat them with a water based preservative. As for the rabbits, there is a product on the market called Renardine which is pretty effective.
    I don`t see a problem with gravel boards Charlie, as long as you treat them with a water based preservative. As for the rabbits, there is a product on the market called Renardine which is pretty effective.
    I don`t see a problem with gravel boards Charlie, as long as you treat them with a water based preservative. As for the rabbits, there is a product on the market called Renardine which is pretty...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. MacGardener

Pruning A Pieris

Hi Mac I have a Pieris (Flaming Silver)It does,ent like a severe pruning, Just a light trim ,It flowers in April- May ,I Trim it after It has flowered.
    Hi Mac I have a Pieris (Flaming Silver)It does,ent like a severe pruning, Just a light trim ,It flowers in April- May ,I Trim it after It has flowered.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. RYDALL

Orchid care.

Which orchids Rydall? Hey I'm getting all your questions. We must have similar tastes and problems.
    Which orchids Rydall? Hey I'm getting all your questions. We must have similar tastes and problems.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Grass Seed Man

Another little intro

Welcome GSM, I'm sure your contributions will be of great use to us. I've called you GSM because we already have a regular Pete on here. :D
    Welcome GSM, I'm sure your contributions will be of great use to us. I've called you GSM because we already have a regular Pete on here. :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Jack by the hedge

Dianthus Fenbow nutmeg clove

Not tried that one, but regarding the flowering time, bear in mind Daves Garden is an American site and may have been sown in better a climate than ours and flowered earlier. Give it a try.
    Not tried that one, but regarding the flowering time, bear in mind Daves Garden is an American site and may have been sown in better a climate than ours and flowered earlier. Give it a try.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Lintama

Elephant Grass

http://www.binnyplants.co.uk/index.php Try these guys Lintama.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice