1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. The Pea Of Sweetness

This probably sounds like a daft question but you know when....

Probably the nicest alley in Liverpool! Certainly beats the one behind my old terrace house in Kenny! I could have taken lots of photos like Lisa's one out there - yuck!
    Probably the nicest alley in Liverpool! Certainly beats the one behind my old terrace house in Kenny! I could have taken lots of photos like Lisa's one out there - yuck!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. redfifi1717

More half barrels!

They're pretty big, aren't they, those barrels? What I've done in the past is to get bulbs in deep round the edges, so they come up every spring, and have a tallish evergreen thing in the centre,...
    They're pretty big, aren't they, those barrels? What I've done in the past is to get bulbs in deep round the edges, so they come up every spring, and have a tallish evergreen thing in the centre, like a spotted laurel, or some other shiny-leaved plant, and have bedding in between, which I...
    They're pretty big, aren't they, those barrels? What I've done in the past is to get bulbs in deep round the edges, so they come up every spring, and have a tallish evergreen thing in the centre, like a spotted laurel, or some other shiny-leaved...
    They're pretty big, aren't they, those barrels? What I've done in the past is to get bulbs in deep round the edges, so they come up every spring, and have a tallish evergreen thing in the centre,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. jules

icanthus

Be aware, it propagates from root cuttings. That means that every time you get fed up with it and dig it out - it comes back. I've got mine in a couple of pots. I already have a flower stem on...
    Be aware, it propagates from root cuttings. That means that every time you get fed up with it and dig it out - it comes back. I've got mine in a couple of pots. I already have a flower stem on one.It can get powdery mildew. That white covering that plants get. It is not fatal but weakens...
    Be aware, it propagates from root cuttings. That means that every time you get fed up with it and dig it out - it comes back. I've got mine in a couple of pots. I already have a flower stem on one.It can get powdery mildew. That white...
    Be aware, it propagates from root cuttings. That means that every time you get fed up with it and dig it out - it comes back. I've got mine in a couple of pots. I already have a flower stem on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Nigel

Camellia Japonica

Yes I know about the soil etc, but wasnt sure if it was safe to repot while in flower.Thank you for your reply
    Yes I know about the soil etc, but wasnt sure if it was safe to repot while in flower.Thank you for your reply
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Waco

Updating changed bed

Nope my skimia did not like me - definately turned its legs up in the air and dropped dead. I have one saracocca which survives but has not grown since I bought it about 10 years ago. Lilly of the...
    Nope my skimia did not like me - definately turned its legs up in the air and dropped dead. I have one saracocca which survives but has not grown since I bought it about 10 years ago. Lilly of the valley loves me but the slugs eat all my solomons seal.I also have a mahonia which you would have...
    Nope my skimia did not like me - definately turned its legs up in the air and dropped dead. I have one saracocca which survives but has not grown since I bought it about 10 years ago. Lilly of the valley loves me but the slugs eat all my solomons...
    Nope my skimia did not like me - definately turned its legs up in the air and dropped dead. I have one saracocca which survives but has not grown since I bought it about 10 years ago. Lilly of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Stingo

Plug plants or seed?

Thanks Liz, Peter and Fran.Only joking about the cheating bit!! :DI agree that a happy medium is the answer, whatever suits you at the time.
    Thanks Liz, Peter and Fran.Only joking about the cheating bit!! :DI agree that a happy medium is the answer, whatever suits you at the time.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Stingo

Sweet peas

sounds so much easier than growing in a greenhouse from seeds!! I will definately try that this year. Thanks for the tip
    sounds so much easier than growing in a greenhouse from seeds!! I will definately try that this year. Thanks for the tip
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. sheppy

aerate - which sand?

That's good then - I can get started! Thanks!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Orchid man

GA3 acid (gbirric acid) & kelp

hi dudes i have resentley bought 10 gram of GA3 acid and 30gram of cocentrated kelp for my plants how often should i use it
    hi dudes i have resentley bought 10 gram of GA3 acid and 30gram of cocentrated kelp for my plants how often should i use it
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. frogesque

Peach blossom

I should make it clear, the greenhouse isn't mine but is one of my regular jobs. The house is in two sections, the largest being 8ft wide 7' 6" high and 15' 6" long; the other bit, kind of used as...
    I should make it clear, the greenhouse isn't mine but is one of my regular jobs. The house is in two sections, the largest being 8ft wide 7' 6" high and 15' 6" long; the other bit, kind of used as a potting shed is about 6ft long.It all has to come down later in the year as it's an old...
    I should make it clear, the greenhouse isn't mine but is one of my regular jobs. The house is in two sections, the largest being 8ft wide 7' 6" high and 15' 6" long; the other bit, kind of used as a potting shed is about 6ft long.It all has to...
    I should make it clear, the greenhouse isn't mine but is one of my regular jobs. The house is in two sections, the largest being 8ft wide 7' 6" high and 15' 6" long; the other bit, kind of used as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ewal

spring 005

The link to the photo you were trying to post should look something like -Where 'name of the photo' is the file name of the image you uploaded to Photobucket. [ 09. April 2006, 10:23 PM:...
    The link to the photo you were trying to post should look something like -Where 'name of the photo' is the file name of the image you uploaded to Photobucket. [ 09. April 2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Dave W ]
    The link to the photo you were trying to post should look something like -Where 'name of the photo' is the file name of the image you uploaded to Photobucket. [ 09. April 2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Dave W ]
    The link to the photo you were trying to post should look something like -Where 'name of the photo' is the file name of the image you uploaded to Photobucket. [ 09. April 2006, 10:23 PM:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. themissingelf

Cutting Conifer Roots?

I'm with Rosco on this one - cutting roots on the downward side of a tree, especially a conifer, which tends to be quite shallow rooted is a risk.Instead of cutting into the slope and the trees...
    I'm with Rosco on this one - cutting roots on the downward side of a tree, especially a conifer, which tends to be quite shallow rooted is a risk.Instead of cutting into the slope and the trees roots, could you not raise the path - make it a bit of a feature above or below the tree.
    I'm with Rosco on this one - cutting roots on the downward side of a tree, especially a conifer, which tends to be quite shallow rooted is a risk.Instead of cutting into the slope and the trees roots, could you not raise the path - make it a...
    I'm with Rosco on this one - cutting roots on the downward side of a tree, especially a conifer, which tends to be quite shallow rooted is a risk.Instead of cutting into the slope and the trees...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. paulo

mimosa "gauloise" (acacia)

Melanoxylon is one I have, thats hardy but not very ornamental. I also have Pravissima and thats just coming into flower at the moment. I planted a 4ft plant of Dealbata two years ago, it grew...
    Melanoxylon is one I have, thats hardy but not very ornamental. I also have Pravissima and thats just coming into flower at the moment. I planted a 4ft plant of Dealbata two years ago, it grew well all summer, but last winter killed it. Stange because I have seen a few pretty large ones around...
    Melanoxylon is one I have, thats hardy but not very ornamental. I also have Pravissima and thats just coming into flower at the moment. I planted a 4ft plant of Dealbata two years ago, it grew well all summer, but last winter killed it. Stange...
    Melanoxylon is one I have, thats hardy but not very ornamental. I also have Pravissima and thats just coming into flower at the moment. I planted a 4ft plant of Dealbata two years ago, it grew...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. monkeyisland

Big Plant ?

monkeyisland, if you want one in a container it might be better to go for one of the smaller coloured leaf types. Just a thought
    monkeyisland, if you want one in a container it might be better to go for one of the smaller coloured leaf types. Just a thought
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. P.C

help??

Unless you have space in your house for the toms and cucs you'll probably need to heat the greenhouse for a few weeks after the plants come out of the propagtor. You also need to think about...
    Unless you have space in your house for the toms and cucs you'll probably need to heat the greenhouse for a few weeks after the plants come out of the propagtor. You also need to think about whether you are going to plant in the ground in the greenhouse or in grow bags or pots. You also seem to...
    Unless you have space in your house for the toms and cucs you'll probably need to heat the greenhouse for a few weeks after the plants come out of the propagtor. You also need to think about whether you are going to plant in the ground in the...
    Unless you have space in your house for the toms and cucs you'll probably need to heat the greenhouse for a few weeks after the plants come out of the propagtor. You also need to think about...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. SarahInTheGarden

Inherited Garden

Ok, Battery just gone on the camera but I managed to get a couple - so here they are:1)This plant is about 10 inches tall, very delicate with only a few leaves and these yellowy green...
    Ok, Battery just gone on the camera but I managed to get a couple - so here they are:1)This plant is about 10 inches tall, very delicate with only a few leaves and these yellowy green flowers.2) Not sure if this is a large shrub or a small tree, stands about 4 ft high, no leaves and...
    Ok, Battery just gone on the camera but I managed to get a couple - so here they are:1)This plant is about 10 inches tall, very delicate with only a few leaves and these yellowy green flowers.2) Not sure if this is a large shrub or a...
    Ok, Battery just gone on the camera but I managed to get a couple - so here they are:1)This plant is about 10 inches tall, very delicate with only a few leaves and these yellowy green...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. P.C

pricking out????

you nee to pot up toms and cucs into 3 or 31/2"pots but they need to be kept warm
    you nee to pot up toms and cucs into 3 or 31/2"pots but they need to be kept warm
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Orchid man

cross breading orchids

hi i was thinking of cross beading vanilla with a nother orchid. is it posible ? if yes which one?
    hi i was thinking of cross beading vanilla with a nother orchid. is it posible ? if yes which one?
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mowgley

Seedlings

thank you very much, i think i will leave the propagator on for another couple of days and the lids till i get at least 2 sets of leaves
    thank you very much, i think i will leave the propagator on for another couple of days and the lids till i get at least 2 sets of leaves
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Stingo

Black Bamboo

Of course - email me with your address and I will pop a small clump in post.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice