1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Howard Stone

Teucrium hedges

Yup. I have plants growing on as substitutes for when that happens. But I am fortunate to have a large veg and nursery area "round the back" for that sort of stuff.I don't know about whether it...
    Yup. I have plants growing on as substitutes for when that happens. But I am fortunate to have a large veg and nursery area "round the back" for that sort of stuff.I don't know about whether it will be "rip out" but I too was looking at the plant and thinking "Like Lavender". Hopefully someone...
    Yup. I have plants growing on as substitutes for when that happens. But I am fortunate to have a large veg and nursery area "round the back" for that sort of stuff.I don't know about whether it will be "rip out" but I too was looking at the...
    Yup. I have plants growing on as substitutes for when that happens. But I am fortunate to have a large veg and nursery area "round the back" for that sort of stuff.I don't know about whether it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Howard Stone

How do you make bamboo get really thick stems?

I'd say the water is the critical factor, more so than food. My black-stemmed bamboo sulked here for years until a drain was re-directed and it suddenly got a lot of moisture, even in summer. The...
    I'd say the water is the critical factor, more so than food. My black-stemmed bamboo sulked here for years until a drain was re-directed and it suddenly got a lot of moisture, even in summer. The difference in the size and quality of canes was very marked.
    I'd say the water is the critical factor, more so than food. My black-stemmed bamboo sulked here for years until a drain was re-directed and it suddenly got a lot of moisture, even in summer. The difference in the size and quality of canes was...
    I'd say the water is the critical factor, more so than food. My black-stemmed bamboo sulked here for years until a drain was re-directed and it suddenly got a lot of moisture, even in summer. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. sharon j

Climbing plants

I agree, although once established there is a "lot going on" with a significant amount of stems in Winter - might it be enough to soften / disguise the brickwork?Reminds me of an Estate agent...
    I agree, although once established there is a "lot going on" with a significant amount of stems in Winter - might it be enough to soften / disguise the brickwork?Reminds me of an Estate agent that I did some work for. His software let him carefully match property to punter, but every week he...
    I agree, although once established there is a "lot going on" with a significant amount of stems in Winter - might it be enough to soften / disguise the brickwork?Reminds me of an Estate agent that I did some work for. His software let him...
    I agree, although once established there is a "lot going on" with a significant amount of stems in Winter - might it be enough to soften / disguise the brickwork?Reminds me of an Estate agent...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Chris Smith

Ideas on what to do with this planter please

bedding plants are ideal especially when you want colour may have to wait abit before planting out summer bedding in case of a frost. Begonias are very easy and you can get trailing variety's ....
    bedding plants are ideal especially when you want colour may have to wait abit before planting out summer bedding in case of a frost. Begonias are very easy and you can get trailing variety's . Petunia are nice and lobelia plus lots of other bedding plantsIf you want some more permanent but...
    bedding plants are ideal especially when you want colour may have to wait abit before planting out summer bedding in case of a frost. Begonias are very easy and you can get trailing variety's . Petunia are nice and lobelia plus lots of other...
    bedding plants are ideal especially when you want colour may have to wait abit before planting out summer bedding in case of a frost. Begonias are very easy and you can get trailing variety's ....
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Aldo

Wondering about the soil I bought..

@NigelJThanks, I will try with the biodegradable detergent (horticultural soap I guess?). As for now, I made a new, smaller bed, and mix it up with last year potting soil which contains...
    @NigelJThanks, I will try with the biodegradable detergent (horticultural soap I guess?). As for now, I made a new, smaller bed, and mix it up with last year potting soil which contains vermiculite. I also planted some potatoes in bags using the same mix, fingers crossed. The result is much...
    @NigelJThanks, I will try with the biodegradable detergent (horticultural soap I guess?). As for now, I made a new, smaller bed, and mix it up with last year potting soil which contains vermiculite. I also planted some potatoes in bags using...
    @NigelJThanks, I will try with the biodegradable detergent (horticultural soap I guess?). As for now, I made a new, smaller bed, and mix it up with last year potting soil which contains...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. sandhun

Does moss between paving stones 'add character'?

I'm guessing it makes them more slippery in the winter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. HarryS

What to do with plastic milk bottles ?

Love this youtube channel!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. kriss

Verbena Bonariensis

Nice one, cheers. I have this problem with most perennials in the front garden. It’s west facing, small and with a hedge and wall! So plants in the borders get a fleeting hour or two of sun late...
    Nice one, cheers. I have this problem with most perennials in the front garden. It’s west facing, small and with a hedge and wall! So plants in the borders get a fleeting hour or two of sun late afternoon!
    Nice one, cheers. I have this problem with most perennials in the front garden. It’s west facing, small and with a hedge and wall! So plants in the borders get a fleeting hour or two of sun late afternoon!
    Nice one, cheers. I have this problem with most perennials in the front garden. It’s west facing, small and with a hedge and wall! So plants in the borders get a fleeting hour or two of sun late...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Selleri

Does stem/ shoot colour tell anything about the flower colour? Dahlia problem.

Thanks @CarolineL , I'll label them now and cross my fingers. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Stacey Leonard

Planting a steep bank?

Thanks so much for the list, very helpful. We have sleepers in place at the bottom now, held by steel, which have a bed of stones behind for drainage. Thanks again
    Thanks so much for the list, very helpful. We have sleepers in place at the bottom now, held by steel, which have a bed of stones behind for drainage. Thanks again
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. DP1

Honeysuckle growth.

This honeysuckle climber is on an east facing wall trellis and was planted around 18 months ago. It appears to be growing upwards but not outwards to cover the wall as I'd intended. Any advice...
    This honeysuckle climber is on an east facing wall trellis and was planted around 18 months ago. It appears to be growing upwards but not outwards to cover the wall as I'd intended. Any advice please? Thanks.
    This honeysuckle climber is on an east facing wall trellis and was planted around 18 months ago. It appears to be growing upwards but not outwards to cover the wall as I'd intended. Any advice please? Thanks.
    This honeysuckle climber is on an east facing wall trellis and was planted around 18 months ago. It appears to be growing upwards but not outwards to cover the wall as I'd intended. Any advice...
    20200425_145225.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Tiptonian

Spreading Euphorbia

I believe this is a type of Euphorbia. It is pretty much taking over the whole flower bed and beyond, spreading through the root system and seeding where I don't want it. Looking for a way...
    I believe this is a type of Euphorbia. It is pretty much taking over the whole flower bed and beyond, spreading through the root system and seeding where I don't want it. Looking for a way of control it and remove much of this growth which doesn't involve digging up the other plants. It's...
    I believe this is a type of Euphorbia. It is pretty much taking over the whole flower bed and beyond, spreading through the root system and seeding where I don't want it. Looking for a way of control it and remove much of this growth which...
    I believe this is a type of Euphorbia. It is pretty much taking over the whole flower bed and beyond, spreading through the root system and seeding where I don't want it. Looking for a way...
    eu1.jpg eu2.jpg eu3.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. pikkie_stace

Help with my herbs on balcony

Hi pikkie, well, as good as Compost is it's best not used alone in a container especially if the plant(s) is going to be in there for long time as it can dry out and is a "b" to wet again:wallbanging::heehee: So, I...
    Hi pikkie, well, as good as Compost is it's best not used alone in a container especially if the plant(s) is going to be in there for long time as it can dry out and is a "b" to wet again:wallbanging::heehee: So, I would recommend that perhaps using a mixture of say, 3 parts Compost, 1 part sand and one part grit,...
    Hi pikkie, well, as good as Compost is it's best not used alone in a container especially if the plant(s) is going to be in there for long time as it can dry out and is a "b" to wet again:wallbanging::heehee: So, I would recommend that perhaps using a mixture of say,...
    Hi pikkie, well, as good as Compost is it's best not used alone in a container especially if the plant(s) is going to be in there for long time as it can dry out and is a "b" to wet again:wallbanging::heehee: So, I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Karl B

Feeding

Hi Noisette47Thanks for that, now I understand
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kennyhicks

Hacquetia epipactis 'Thor

Hi @NigelJ my friend I did check that Edrom Nurseries for our friend but found Out of stock but in Production;)
    Hi @NigelJ my friend I did check that Edrom Nurseries for our friend but found Out of stock but in Production;)
    Screenshot_20200428_120415_com.twitter.android.jpg Capture.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. SimonZ

Aquilegia/Colombine

@SimonZ @KFF is correct :blue thumb:. They are tough and look after themselves, especially as yours have now been established for a few years. If it's a really dry spell then you could water them but...
    @SimonZ @KFF is correct :blue thumb:. They are tough and look after themselves, especially as yours have now been established for a few years. If it's a really dry spell then you could water them but generally there is no need. As KFF said, they're quite promiscuous so don't expect young ones to breed...
    @SimonZ @KFF is correct :blue thumb:. They are tough and look after themselves, especially as yours have now been established for a few years. If it's a really dry spell then you could water them but generally there is no need. As KFF said, they're...
    @SimonZ @KFF is correct :blue thumb:. They are tough and look after themselves, especially as yours have now been established for a few years. If it's a really dry spell then you could water them but...
    332_3278.JPG P1120393.JPG P1120628.JPG P1120416.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. DMM

Parkers Quality ?

I used to use Parkers for bulk orders of spring bulbs for customers. They're incomparably cheap, but it was always touch and go whether the tulips turned out to be the variety ordered. And of...
    I used to use Parkers for bulk orders of spring bulbs for customers. They're incomparably cheap, but it was always touch and go whether the tulips turned out to be the variety ordered. And of course, if not, it was too late to complain 8 months after the order was placed! I wouldn't touch their...
    I used to use Parkers for bulk orders of spring bulbs for customers. They're incomparably cheap, but it was always touch and go whether the tulips turned out to be the variety ordered. And of course, if not, it was too late to complain 8 months...
    I used to use Parkers for bulk orders of spring bulbs for customers. They're incomparably cheap, but it was always touch and go whether the tulips turned out to be the variety ordered. And of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Sam Smeesters

Ground Elder Help

Welcome Sam. :) Gallup 360 is a systemic killer which means when sprayed it will be taken down through the plant and kill the roots, so there's no need to dig it out. You can dig it out when it's...
    Welcome Sam. :) Gallup 360 is a systemic killer which means when sprayed it will be taken down through the plant and kill the roots, so there's no need to dig it out. You can dig it out when it's dead if you prefer or leave it to rot down. With all weeds it's best to spray them when they are...
    Welcome Sam. :) Gallup 360 is a systemic killer which means when sprayed it will be taken down through the plant and kill the roots, so there's no need to dig it out. You can dig it out when it's dead if you prefer or leave it to rot down. With all...
    Welcome Sam. :) Gallup 360 is a systemic killer which means when sprayed it will be taken down through the plant and kill the roots, so there's no need to dig it out. You can dig it out when it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. SimonZ

Over-watering saxifrage

Well, not that good on alpines, but as Sheal says, once established I dont think I would be doing much watering. I think most like sharp drainage, but probably cool and sunny conditions, not...
    Well, not that good on alpines, but as Sheal says, once established I dont think I would be doing much watering. I think most like sharp drainage, but probably cool and sunny conditions, not always easy to replicate. I think once a week in very dry spells rather than twice a day.:yikes:
    Well, not that good on alpines, but as Sheal says, once established I dont think I would be doing much watering. I think most like sharp drainage, but probably cool and sunny conditions, not always easy to replicate. I think once a week in very...
    Well, not that good on alpines, but as Sheal says, once established I dont think I would be doing much watering. I think most like sharp drainage, but probably cool and sunny conditions, not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Clueless in Cumbria

In need of a little summer privacy... :) Advice/suggestions welcomed.

Thank you everybody!I've relented and bought a couple of bushes and a new clematis and jasmine.... Let's hope they don't take TOO long to grow! :ThankYou::spring:H
    Thank you everybody!I've relented and bought a couple of bushes and a new clematis and jasmine.... Let's hope they don't take TOO long to grow! :ThankYou::spring:H
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice