1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. homely53

Shrubs

Thank you can't believe all the replies so quickly i am going to try the shrub in a pot that sounds like a good idea. I will let you all know what happens. Thank you again
    Thank you can't believe all the replies so quickly i am going to try the shrub in a pot that sounds like a good idea. I will let you all know what happens. Thank you again
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Claris

Contaminated Soil ?????

I work for a local authority and one of the things my colleagues do is concerning contaminated land. I think its a fairly safe bet to say that when plans were afoot to build your house the prior...
    I work for a local authority and one of the things my colleagues do is concerning contaminated land. I think its a fairly safe bet to say that when plans were afoot to build your house the prior use of the land would have been looked at. If there was any concern then remediation would have been...
    I work for a local authority and one of the things my colleagues do is concerning contaminated land. I think its a fairly safe bet to say that when plans were afoot to build your house the prior use of the land would have been looked at. If there...
    I work for a local authority and one of the things my colleagues do is concerning contaminated land. I think its a fairly safe bet to say that when plans were afoot to build your house the prior...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Waco

Dwarf conifers for alpine traughs

Yes, It's the grafted ones, rarer as Palustris says, that are pricey. Roberts have a set price of �£5.75 but postage is expensive, usually the way with mail order, and mine were beautifully...
    Yes, It's the grafted ones, rarer as Palustris says, that are pricey. Roberts have a set price of �£5.75 but postage is expensive, usually the way with mail order, and mine were beautifully packed. I had an email from them some time ago about size:Size quoted is approx. height/spread at...
    Yes, It's the grafted ones, rarer as Palustris says, that are pricey. Roberts have a set price of �£5.75 but postage is expensive, usually the way with mail order, and mine were beautifully packed. I had an email from them some time ago about...
    Yes, It's the grafted ones, rarer as Palustris says, that are pricey. Roberts have a set price of �£5.75 but postage is expensive, usually the way with mail order, and mine were beautifully...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. timecharger

how important is lime?

I managed to buy a ph kit for the princely sum of �£1.19 from my local garden centre. Fortunately it turned a dark green colour so my veg plot should be ok without liming, as I think the time to...
    I managed to buy a ph kit for the princely sum of �£1.19 from my local garden centre. Fortunately it turned a dark green colour so my veg plot should be ok without liming, as I think the time to lime is autumn or winter rather than now. If you do do a test and the soil is acidic then I guess...
    I managed to buy a ph kit for the princely sum of �£1.19 from my local garden centre. Fortunately it turned a dark green colour so my veg plot should be ok without liming, as I think the time to lime is autumn or winter rather than now. If you...
    I managed to buy a ph kit for the princely sum of �£1.19 from my local garden centre. Fortunately it turned a dark green colour so my veg plot should be ok without liming, as I think the time to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Liz

A lesson learned

small annuals would be better, what you used seem to be perennial that create a bigger root system as you know
    small annuals would be better, what you used seem to be perennial that create a bigger root system as you know
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. PeterS

Lychnis Coronaria

If it likes its' conditions it will self-seed; so after 3 years you should have continuous flowers!
    If it likes its' conditions it will self-seed; so after 3 years you should have continuous flowers!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. rebecca

aloe vera

Think Liz might be right,its been too wet or too cold or even both. :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. robbo

cold frame to small

I suspect that they will not be available for that long. But should be available for another week or two. Even the ones I bought a few days ago have grown noticeably, and after a while would get...
    I suspect that they will not be available for that long. But should be available for another week or two. Even the ones I bought a few days ago have grown noticeably, and after a while would get too big and out of hand in the garden centres.Many of mine are on window sills in the house.
    I suspect that they will not be available for that long. But should be available for another week or two. Even the ones I bought a few days ago have grown noticeably, and after a while would get too big and out of hand in the garden...
    I suspect that they will not be available for that long. But should be available for another week or two. Even the ones I bought a few days ago have grown noticeably, and after a while would get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. roders

To-Days Spring Picture.......

Best not.
    Best not.
    Best not.
    Best not.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. DarrenT

A Beginner asks can a weed have a bulb?

I think LesH has got it! They spread like fury, grow anywhere are easily lifted and in the south are probably 3 or 4 weeks ahead of up here.
    I think LesH has got it! They spread like fury, grow anywhere are easily lifted and in the south are probably 3 or 4 weeks ahead of up here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. iris

delphiniums from seed

I agree Liz - they love delphs. If you can get them more mature, the slugs are less of a problem, but protect as much as possible against snails. Mine will insist on chewing through the flower...
    I agree Liz - they love delphs. If you can get them more mature, the slugs are less of a problem, but protect as much as possible against snails. Mine will insist on chewing through the flower spike - one minute glorious stem of buds or even blooms - next day, collapsed thanks to snails...
    I agree Liz - they love delphs. If you can get them more mature, the slugs are less of a problem, but protect as much as possible against snails. Mine will insist on chewing through the flower spike - one minute glorious stem of buds or even...
    I agree Liz - they love delphs. If you can get them more mature, the slugs are less of a problem, but protect as much as possible against snails. Mine will insist on chewing through the flower...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Waco

How do they make it pay?

Oh yes I have done that. when I unpotted them they also had loads of little baby bulbs round them so they should make good full displays next year. I have fed them well too.
    Oh yes I have done that. when I unpotted them they also had loads of little baby bulbs round them so they should make good full displays next year. I have fed them well too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. City_garden

Advice on how to develop a neglected city garden please?

glad to hear it!! It's amazing how uncomfortable it is to kneel on gravel!! :eek: [ 30. March 2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: dendrobium ]
    glad to hear it!! It's amazing how uncomfortable it is to kneel on gravel!! :eek: [ 30. March 2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: dendrobium ]
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. lazy-gardener

Help needed on pation design

I went for a wander round places like Jewson, saw what sizes they did of the stuff I liked, and went home, measured up, and costed it out from there. Don't forget you'll spend a lot on sharp sand...
    I went for a wander round places like Jewson, saw what sizes they did of the stuff I liked, and went home, measured up, and costed it out from there. Don't forget you'll spend a lot on sharp sand for laying it!! We got Marshallspaving slabs, Saxon - partly because of the yellowness which...
    I went for a wander round places like Jewson, saw what sizes they did of the stuff I liked, and went home, measured up, and costed it out from there. Don't forget you'll spend a lot on sharp sand for laying it!! We got Marshallspaving slabs,...
    I went for a wander round places like Jewson, saw what sizes they did of the stuff I liked, and went home, measured up, and costed it out from there. Don't forget you'll spend a lot on sharp sand...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. timecharger

old fenceposts - is creosote a problem

cheers dave, appreciated...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Paladin

Snowdrops For Sale

Hi, Sawfish! Yes, I agree, and to get back to the original thread, sort of - I'm sure there are lots of snowdrops there at the moment!! :D
    Hi, Sawfish! Yes, I agree, and to get back to the original thread, sort of - I'm sure there are lots of snowdrops there at the moment!! :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Waco

Help! Terrified of -

So do I plant this wee baby thing just below the compost?The big one already has a shoot about 1 1/2 inch long on it but is only on surface of soil.
    So do I plant this wee baby thing just below the compost?The big one already has a shoot about 1 1/2 inch long on it but is only on surface of soil.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. timecharger

protection from birds

thanks very much indeed
    thanks very much indeed
    thanks very much indeed
    thanks very much indeed
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. lazy-gardener

sweet violets- propagating

Depends whether you want them there. If you want to move them somewhere else you could- they seem to be propagating themselves quite happily!
    Depends whether you want them there. If you want to move them somewhere else you could- they seem to be propagating themselves quite happily!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS

Lily advice please

Hi PeterS, I have Stargazer and Tom Pouce, and wouldn't like to say which was the more perfumed! They both havea really strong scent which spreads round the garden. I prefer the Stargazer because...
    Hi PeterS, I have Stargazer and Tom Pouce, and wouldn't like to say which was the more perfumed! They both havea really strong scent which spreads round the garden. I prefer the Stargazer because I love the colour! Both are lovely.
    Hi PeterS, I have Stargazer and Tom Pouce, and wouldn't like to say which was the more perfumed! They both havea really strong scent which spreads round the garden. I prefer the Stargazer because I love the colour! Both are lovely.
    Hi PeterS, I have Stargazer and Tom Pouce, and wouldn't like to say which was the more perfumed! They both havea really strong scent which spreads round the garden. I prefer the Stargazer because...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice