General Gardening Discussion

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. sheppy

How do I get rid of leylandii ?

Thanks everyone - given me stacks of ideas. Going with the totem poles....JOKING!!! It's a huge relief to know I don't necessarily have to dig out the roots and as they are planted along the...
    Thanks everyone - given me stacks of ideas. Going with the totem poles....JOKING!!! It's a huge relief to know I don't necessarily have to dig out the roots and as they are planted along the front drive I may go for gravel and pots if they prove really stubborn. (Not my first choice, but it...
    Thanks everyone - given me stacks of ideas. Going with the totem poles....JOKING!!! It's a huge relief to know I don't necessarily have to dig out the roots and as they are planted along the front drive I may go for gravel and pots if they prove...
    Thanks everyone - given me stacks of ideas. Going with the totem poles....JOKING!!! It's a huge relief to know I don't necessarily have to dig out the roots and as they are planted along the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. golfer

Cuttings/Transplanting

Fuchias, taake apiece about 2 inches long, cut just below where a pair of leaves come from the stem. Pull the bottom two leaves off and put stem in a post of compost, no hormone powder needed....
    Fuchias, taake apiece about 2 inches long, cut just below where a pair of leaves come from the stem. Pull the bottom two leaves off and put stem in a post of compost, no hormone powder needed. Water. Cover with a plastic bag and wait till you see roots coming from the base of the plant pot....
    Fuchias, taake apiece about 2 inches long, cut just below where a pair of leaves come from the stem. Pull the bottom two leaves off and put stem in a post of compost, no hormone powder needed. Water. Cover with a plastic bag and wait till you see...
    Fuchias, taake apiece about 2 inches long, cut just below where a pair of leaves come from the stem. Pull the bottom two leaves off and put stem in a post of compost, no hormone powder needed....
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. PeterS

Patience is a virtue

Waco - many thanks for your very kind offer. I have just sent you an e-mail.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. lazy-gardener

going mad- talking to my plants!!

i worked at a stables where all animals were left to live forever ,,,,, the oldest sheep eventually died, but no one was sure how long they normally live, usually farmers give up at 6 yo when they...
    i worked at a stables where all animals were left to live forever ,,,,, the oldest sheep eventually died, but no one was sure how long they normally live, usually farmers give up at 6 yo when they lose their teeth, this one was about ten!
    i worked at a stables where all animals were left to live forever ,,,,, the oldest sheep eventually died, but no one was sure how long they normally live, usually farmers give up at 6 yo when they lose their teeth, this one was about ten!
    i worked at a stables where all animals were left to live forever ,,,,, the oldest sheep eventually died, but no one was sure how long they normally live, usually farmers give up at 6 yo when they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. moden

grotty gardens

and portable, but i thot plastic pots are quite cheap nowadays, re gravel . membrane is essential to separate soil and gravel [ 26. March 2006, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Lady Gardener ]
    and portable, but i thot plastic pots are quite cheap nowadays, re gravel . membrane is essential to separate soil and gravel [ 26. March 2006, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Lady Gardener ]
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. redfifi1717

windburn

Me - I'd take off the worst of them - without denuding the plant,and then wait for the new leaves. I always think that if a leaf is part undamageddamaged, that the plant won't replace as readily...
    Me - I'd take off the worst of them - without denuding the plant,and then wait for the new leaves. I always think that if a leaf is part undamageddamaged, that the plant won't replace as readily as if it wasn't there.But the plant needs leaves - so go careful
    Me - I'd take off the worst of them - without denuding the plant,and then wait for the new leaves. I always think that if a leaf is part undamageddamaged, that the plant won't replace as readily as if it wasn't there.But the plant needs leaves...
    Me - I'd take off the worst of them - without denuding the plant,and then wait for the new leaves. I always think that if a leaf is part undamageddamaged, that the plant won't replace as readily...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. The Pea Of Sweetness

Raised Flower Beds

That is fascinating, PeterS And I like your phrasing - when the bottom fell out of the disposable panties market!
    That is fascinating, PeterS And I like your phrasing - when the bottom fell out of the disposable panties market!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Scarecrow

Which hedge to buy?

Fran has answered the question, if you have quite a longish run then you could plant alternate plants, say, VIBURNUM TINUS which is evergreen and has white flowers in spring, when these have...
    Fran has answered the question, if you have quite a longish run then you could plant alternate plants, say, VIBURNUM TINUS which is evergreen and has white flowers in spring, when these have finished it can be trimmed back. and the Fuschia
    Fran has answered the question, if you have quite a longish run then you could plant alternate plants, say, VIBURNUM TINUS which is evergreen and has white flowers in spring, when these have finished it can be trimmed back. and the Fuschia
    Fran has answered the question, if you have quite a longish run then you could plant alternate plants, say, VIBURNUM TINUS which is evergreen and has white flowers in spring, when these have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. lazy-gardener

anyone tried scratch labels?

Labels'n'things (link in PeterS' post) do good very fine indelible pens - Ideal for me!! ;)
    Labels'n'things (link in PeterS' post) do good very fine indelible pens - Ideal for me!! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. John P

Fortina Red Robin

conflicting views there, i m going to email my supplier i think
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. trixie-bell

fences

thanks for responses everyone...guess it will have to be more green with lots of climbers...I have come from an orange fenced garden...it just seemed so much warmer..boo hoo
    thanks for responses everyone...guess it will have to be more green with lots of climbers...I have come from an orange fenced garden...it just seemed so much warmer..boo hoo
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. lazy-gardener

hardy bamboo as a screen

Always remember that humans control plants not the other way round and if twice a year cut away the creeping bits YOU are in control.Remember with all of the rampant bamboos, The first year they...
    Always remember that humans control plants not the other way round and if twice a year cut away the creeping bits YOU are in control.Remember with all of the rampant bamboos, The first year they sleep The second year they creep The third year they leap. So be aware.........................
    Always remember that humans control plants not the other way round and if twice a year cut away the creeping bits YOU are in control.Remember with all of the rampant bamboos, The first year they sleep The second year they creep The third year...
    Always remember that humans control plants not the other way round and if twice a year cut away the creeping bits YOU are in control.Remember with all of the rampant bamboos, The first year they...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Lady Gardener

DVDs

Hi Lady Gardener I recieved "Complete Gardens" DVD for Christmas. I was dissapointed to start with,I found it very difficult to find my way around.Its great for the average gardener like...
    Hi Lady Gardener I recieved "Complete Gardens" DVD for Christmas. I was dissapointed to start with,I found it very difficult to find my way around.Its great for the average gardener like myself(when you eventualy find out how it works).Put in a plant name and it will tell you soil...
    Hi Lady Gardener I recieved "Complete Gardens" DVD for Christmas. I was dissapointed to start with,I found it very difficult to find my way around.Its great for the average gardener like myself(when you eventualy find out how it works).Put in a...
    Hi Lady Gardener I recieved "Complete Gardens" DVD for Christmas. I was dissapointed to start with,I found it very difficult to find my way around.Its great for the average gardener like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. DoubleD

To cloche or not to cloche....

Thanks rossco thats been a big help have got myself a small plastic greenhouse to start with to see how i go and ive started some onions got some lettus,carrots and peas i will start them in there...
    Thanks rossco thats been a big help have got myself a small plastic greenhouse to start with to see how i go and ive started some onions got some lettus,carrots and peas i will start them in there this weekend and get that cloche sorted
    Thanks rossco thats been a big help have got myself a small plastic greenhouse to start with to see how i go and ive started some onions got some lettus,carrots and peas i will start them in there this weekend and get that cloche sorted
    Thanks rossco thats been a big help have got myself a small plastic greenhouse to start with to see how i go and ive started some onions got some lettus,carrots and peas i will start them in there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. roders

Advice please for planter.

strongylodon,its on AVATERS,general garden discussion page 8or9.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Beefy

bird seed mix

LG if you could see the amount of moss on the roof allready you would not make that remark :rolleyes: I gather a couple of binliners full off the carparks every week. You take your life in your...
    LG if you could see the amount of moss on the roof allready you would not make that remark :rolleyes: I gather a couple of binliners full off the carparks every week. You take your life in your hands standing near the scoool outside when its raining moss with a little rain :eek: :eek:
    LG if you could see the amount of moss on the roof allready you would not make that remark :rolleyes: I gather a couple of binliners full off the carparks every week. You take your life in your hands standing near the scoool outside when its...
    LG if you could see the amount of moss on the roof allready you would not make that remark :rolleyes: I gather a couple of binliners full off the carparks every week. You take your life in your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. The Pea Of Sweetness

Anyone know of any.......

Oh my god!!! can you see it?????????Cheers, i'll let you know if it turns out ok.
    Oh my god!!! can you see it?????????Cheers, i'll let you know if it turns out ok.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. DAG

CUTTINGS

chances are there'll be something like that on the Gardener's world site - follow the link, and have a look through past programmes - they include pics and instructions on how to do all sorts of...
    chances are there'll be something like that on the Gardener's world site - follow the link, and have a look through past programmes - they include pics and instructions on how to do all sorts of gardeningy things!! http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_and_radio/gardeners_world/index.shtml
    chances are there'll be something like that on the Gardener's world site - follow the link, and have a look through past programmes - they include pics and instructions on how to do all sorts of gardeningy things!!...
    chances are there'll be something like that on the Gardener's world site - follow the link, and have a look through past programmes - they include pics and instructions on how to do all sorts of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. barneyb

when to plant bearded irises and dahlias

So what have we got to thank the Romans for?.... :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. BELLAMARIE

braided pachira: help?

Many thanks for the link: lots of useful tips and similar issues there. Wish me luck!
    Many thanks for the link: lots of useful tips and similar issues there. Wish me luck!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice